Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shooting in S London........

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    apollo_69 wrote:
    If they already had him on the ground why shoot him dead?

A dead bloke can pull a detonator.

I hope to go they're right. I suspected evidence will be there regardless.

I don't hold to the notion that one dead innocent is better than x number of hypothetical dead innocents.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I would have thought that capping three policemen would have been right up a suicide bombers street, yet no bomb.

Doesn't fit the mo at all. Bombings have already knocked out the Piccadilly Line, H & C and Metropolitan Lines. The Circle's out. Now you've got attempts on the Northern, Victoria and Central yesterday...anyone seeing a pattern here? The aim was to knock out London transport (couple of bombs to give the people on the buses a bit of a worry?)...
    So all we need to do is make all the trains late....er than they already are and the suicide bombers won't commit suicide, they'll just hang around instead.

The other bombs so far have been on timers...unusual for suicide bombers and suggesting, perhaps, that they weren't intended to be such. Either way, the police don't know how long they've got and they don't want a bomber running around the place with a ticking bomb.
    Bunnies.

Oh, go on then. You've convinced me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Doesn't fit the mo at all.

A bomb just next to the train wouldn't have the same effect as a bomb inside it? Bunnies. Objective achieved either way.

It's locked down as it is with just the shooting.
    The other bombs so far have been on timers...unusual for suicide bombers and suggesting, perhaps, that they weren't intended to be such. Either way, the police don't know how long they've got and they don't want a bomber running around the place with a ticking bomb.

So why shoot the fucker once you've got him then? If it's on a timer shooting him is pointless and in fact denies you an intelligence source. He was already down.

What difference does it make with him in handcuffs and a clock counting down or dead on the floor with a clock counting down? Either way theres little point in killing him.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    A bomb just next to the train wouldn't have the same effect as a bomb inside it? Bunnies. Objective achieved either way.

It's locked down as it is with just the shooting.

Only the end of the Vic Line though. A better place to detonate would be...Oxford Circus...the next stop down from Warren Rd as it happens.
    So why shoot the fucker once you've got him then? If it's on a timer shooting him is pointless and in fact denies you an intelligence source. He was already down.

Because you can't arrest him - he's going to go off any second - and you don't want him on the loose. What else you gonna do?
    What difference does it make with him in handcuffs and a clock counting down or dead on the floor with a clock counting down? Either way theres little point in killing him.

Basically, you've got seconds to react - ideally you want the bag to stay in one place and evacuate everyone else from the station. How many chances are you going to take that the bomb might get on the move again?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't hold to the notion that one dead innocent is better than x number of hypothetical dead innocents.

Agree with you 100% there.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm

strangely enough if you see the eye witness reports, it says they bundled on top of him of him and then shot him 4 times - that sounds like 'intelligence' agencies, and very worrying indeed
  • Options
    Agree with you 100% there.
    Yeah, if he wasn't innocent then I won't be shedding any tears.
  • Options
    that sounds like 'intelligence' agencies, and very worrying indeed

Why does that sound like 'intelligence agencies' rather than plain clothes police?

I'm not aware of intelligence agencies (outside of Forces Reconnaissance) being armed on the whole...but then I guess you wouldn't be - nature of the beast and all that.
  • Options
    are plain clothed armed police officers allowed in this country?
  • Options
    Whilst I won't condemn or praise the Police for their actions today without knowing more information, I am going to point out that the information we have at the moment shows that this is the killing of an innocent man.

Looking suspicious and running away do not make you guilty of anything.

If the body search shows that he was carrying explosives then there a different spin on it. Whilst I applaud the death of a terrorist I should also remind people that in this country we do not have the death penalty on our statutes and that we should be concerned taht the Police are willing to take this kind of action just as much as we can be reassured...
  • Options
    are plain clothed armed police officers allowed in this country?

Not as standard but I've heard it said that when the level of danger is considered at its highest level, armed police do patrol the Tube in plainclothes.

An eyewitness on Radio 2 just now said the guys were wearing flak-jackets anyway, so I'd guess they weren't really plainclothes at all.
  • Options
    Whilst I applaud the death of a terrorist I should also remind people that in this country we do not have the death penalty on our statutes and that we should be concerned taht the Police are willing to take this kind of action just as much as we can be reassured...

A point well made.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706913.stm
    "I heard all these popping sounds, it sounded like gunshots, but quite quiet ones.

"I could hear shouting, 'get down' and people going 'run, run'. I thought there was just someone shooting randomly

firstly police are only instructed to shoot once, and ifrom eye witness it sounded like more of a popping shot which is associated with a silencer, which police don't use in my knowledge of their powers, and sounds more like intelligence people.......
  • Options
    firstly police are only instructed to shoot once,

Not anymore. Armed police are trained to shoot to injure and incapacitate where possible. That's no longer applicable. They are now told to shoot to kill where suicide bombers are concerned. A single shot is not a sure way of doing so.
    and ifrom eye witness it sounded like more of a popping shot which is associated with a silencer, which police don't use in my knowledge of their powers, and sounds more like intelligence people.......

Why would intelligence people use a silencer in the middle of a busy Tube station? An automatic pistol would sound like a popping noise...especially in the acoustic of the Tube.
  • Options
    Whilst I won't condemn or praise the Police for their actions today without knowing more information, I am going to point out that the information we have at the moment shows that this is the killing of an innocent man.

Well said, MoK.

TGOS -
    Because you can't arrest him - he's going to go off any second - and you don't want him on the loose. What else you gonna do?

I'll just point out the dangers of shooting at someone who is wearing a bomb and say toodles on this one.

so..

Toodles. :wave:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I'll just point out the dangers of shooting at someone who is wearing a bomb and say toodles on this one.

Unless he's pinned on the floor and you shoot him in the head...

Either way, if he's gonna blow anyway, you don't have much choice.

Yeah, later...
  • Options
    Police have sealed off Harrow Road, and put snipers in place there :chin:
  • Options
    Police, like soldiers, were traditionally trained to aim for the trunk of the body. That's the biggest part of the human and is easiest to hit. There are also too many cases of people being hit in the limbs and being able to continue (at least in the short term).

The aim is to shoot to stop and you fire as many bullets as needed to achieve that aim. If they survive fine, if not fine. Shooting to wound is a myth.

There's rumours that the orders have now been trained to go for the head if its a suspected suicide bomber, as a chest wound may set off the bomb.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    There's rumours that the orders have now been trained to go for the head if its a suspected suicide bomber, as a chest wound may set off the bomb.

I've heard that as well.

Whilst I understand the view that this would prevent detonation, I'm also concerned that a shoot-to-kill policy (which in effect is what this is) means that out police force have effectively been given a licence to kill purely on the basis of suspicion...

I have nothing to hide, but so far there is no evidence that the man killed today did either...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    Do you think there will be some sort of investigation into the way the police acted today? I ask because I'm soon to be working for the Independent Police Complaints Commission and was wondering whether they might get asked to undertake the investigation.

Yes, it's automatic when the police shoot someone. I suspect that your level of involvement will be minimal in such a high profile case though.
    Woo, my first post in P&D!

.. and I haven't flamed you either.

Damn I'm losing my touch.

Welcome.
  • Options
    Having said that, they weren't wearing uniforms. If three men started running at you with automatic pistols, would you run or hang around? Just food for thought, you know...

Yeah exactly...even if they did state they were police, the reaction for a lot of people is still to run...doesn't mean you've got explosives strapped round your waist, though. And if he was a suicide bomber...why not just detonate as the police arrive?
  • Options
  • Options
    Having said that, they weren't wearing uniforms. If three men started running at you with automatic pistols, would you run or hang around? Just food for thought, you know...

exactly what i was thinking.

obviously we don't know what really happened, but if a group of random men with guns started pointing them at me, you'd better believe i'd be out of there. 'stop, we're police'. yeah right. especially given the possibility of revenge attacks on muslims that's been talked about recently.

if he was a bomb risk, then fair play to the police, but i still find it immensely worrying.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Yeah exactly...even if they did state they were police, the reaction for a lot of people is still to run...doesn't mean you've got explosives strapped round your waist, though. And if he was a suicide bomber...why not just detonate as the police arrive?

Too early too say whether it was murder, a tragic accident or justified.

But he might have tried to detonate them but failed. He might have been dangerous because he was carrying another weapon. Even suicide bombers panic. He might have thought that he could get to a more crowded place and then detonate. He might have thought he could loose the police.

TBH at the moment all we're doing is speculation.
  • Options
    lesson of the day. If a policeman shouts STOP at you while youre getting on the tube. Dont make a run for it.

With all the heightened security, the police have been instructed to shoot to kill if they have reason to believe someone is likely to perform this sort of terrorist action.
  • Options
    man doesnt stop, man gets shot, man dies, no bomb, outcry

man doesnt stop, man gets shot, man dies, carrying bomb, everyone would be happy

whats the actuall differences between any of the actions made by police in those two cases, up until they discover the bomb was either there or not
  • Options
    I think it's terrible... It's so sad. They pushed him on the floor and shot him. Why couldn't they just restrain him?

I hope the officers involved will be put inside. :mad:
  • Options
    cause it doesnt matter how well you restrain someone, they cant set off a bomb if they are dead