Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So, wheres the riot gonna be?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its woking half an hour on the train from waterloo (london)
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    catch a train to woking

:lol:

Why?
  • Options
    Also, if i was racist, i would admit. If really pre judged people on the colour of there skin, or there religion, i wouldnt have a problem saying that. But i dont, you can think me racist for saying the thigns i have said, but you dont live here, you havnt seen it.
  • Options
    Im sorry, btu calling a Pakistani a Paki is no different from calling a British person a Brit. Can anyone honestly tell me they would be offended if soemone called them a Brit (this applies to British people only)

Brit is not used as a racist term though. My father uses the term 'paki' as a racist jab against anyone asian, not in reference to particular people who actually come from Pakistan. He uses it as an insult when cussing anyone whose not white. If it's applied in a racist context, it becomes racist. Also saying "All Asians" makes a sweeping general statement which doesn't seperate one Asian individual from another, claiming them to be all the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Just cuase your father uses it as a racist term, doesnt mean i do and i doubt the pakis who live in woking who refer to themselves as pakis use it as a racist term either.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    We got the BNP stirring shit, made up terrorists a la 9/11 (get a few muslim victims and say they are bombers) the government pushing down hard and very hot weather.
    ?
    Do you honestly believe that they made up the bombers?
  • Options
    You are not racists because you report that you may have seen a few youths, who you believe to be asian, committing an offence.

You are racist because you apply exactly the same accusation to all youths who you believe to be asian.

By doing that you have pre-judged based on skin tone.

BTW Your language doesn't help, neither does the lack of sources to your claims. If the crimes, celebration etc we on such a sclae then you should easily be able to produce a web link to news stories...
  • Options
    When did i say it applies to all asian youths?
  • Options
    and yes ofcourse you would see news stories that would provoke racist attacks, cause thats exactly what the media and government are trying to do.
  • Options
    what with all the young asian youths going around mugging poeple and being quite racist and violent

is what you said cherub - careful wording needed.

And yeah, my dad is racist, but I otherwise know nothing of you so, how would I know what way you intend things to be said.
  • Options
    I'm gonna be really clear here, the use of the term is unacceptable to describe a group of asians as it's a racist term. I won't be saying this again, I'll be banning people.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    When did i say it applies to all asian youths?

You having a memory lapse? I'm not going to provide a link, just suggest that you read this thread again...
  • Options
    I started of the post by saying im suprised nothing has kicked of here, referring to the asians that live here. When i said all the young asias... i didnt mean all the young asians of woking are going around mugging people.
  • Options
    im not referring to a group of asians, they call themselves that word, they families orginate from pakistan. You are the one who is dicriminating now, making decisiosn when you dont even understand the situation.
  • Options
    BTW Your language doesn't help, neither does the lack of sources to your claims. If the crimes, celebration etc we on such a sclae then you should easily be able to produce a web link to news stories...

Perhaps he would have sources to his claims if the police did fuck all about it, and didn't just let it go cause the offenders claim it as a ''racial accusation''. The way people of different races play the race card is sickening, and wrong.
  • Options
    If you want to be part of this community you will respect it's rules. They can call themselves what ever they want, and you can call them whatever you want, but not on this message board.
  • Options
    why is it a racist term then? c'mon, explain exactly what is so racist about the word.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    im not referring to a group of asians, they call themselves that word, they families orginate from pakistan. You are the one who is dicriminating now, making decisiosn when you dont even understand the situation.

Dude, you cannot win an argument with a Mod.

Oh, and according to Woking Borough Council

"The vast majority of offenders (86.7%) in the area are young males (mean age 26.3 years) of white ethnicity." Okay seven years is a long time, but I can't find anything to support your claims, can you?
  • Options
    Perhaps he would have sources to his claims if the police did fuck all about it, and didn't just let it go cause the offenders claim it as a ''racial accusation''. The way people of different races play the race card is sickening, and wrong.

I suggested news stories, not police records. Either would be a start but neither of you can produce anything except your own prejudice.

I pretty confident that I could show that the majority of all UK crime is committed by caucasian males. Does that make me a criminal? Would you describe me thus? Do you ever refer to all those white guys mugging people?
  • Options
    If you dont believe me, come to woking, see for yourself, ask youths of woking what they think, i can promise u they will agree. The groups i am referring to, call young pakistani youths who do not agree with what they are doing, or who are not racist like they are, "gary westerners", and they often verbally abuse them for doing so. I see pakistani kids who must be younger than 12 going around with ther older brothers shouting racist remarks. You ask one of them on ther opinion of the bombings, they tell you we deserved it and how much they hate goras. Yes, i agree, it would be unfair to lable every pakistani youth in woking does this, cause they dont, but a massive number do.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    If you dont believe me, come to woking, see for yourself, ask youths of woking what they think, i can promise u they will agree.

So you have nothing to back you up except the perceptions of your mates?
  • Options
    And perception is a vital part of debate, but it must be expressed that way - after all there are a number of long term users who have described similar experiences. What isn't acceptable is to use personal experience to stereotype an entire race, or to present it as absolute fact.
  • Options
    Not just my mates, even people i am not friends with. If you dont believe me, please, come to woking, there is a social place (arcade etc) call the big apple. Go in there on a weekend i promise u u will run into the people i am talking about, ask them, see what they say.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    please, come to woking

If it's so bad, why would I want to go there?
  • Options
    So you will stop telling me im a racist and that the things i am saying arent true
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    And perception is a vital part of debate

Absolutely, perceptions and reality are often not the same thing, but are sometimes accurate. I just find it difficult to believe when it is used to tarnish a particluar race, especially when this apparent crime explosion doesn't seem to interest the media.

Hell even the BNP can't seem to corroborate...
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    So you will stop telling me im a racist and that the things i am saying arent true

No.
  • Options
    I really hope one of you people will come here, then u can tell all these people what i am saying is absolutely true.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I really hope one of you people will come here, then u can tell all these people what i am saying is absolutely true.

You're sounding really daft. Be realistic - we're not going to come to Woking just to see what you're talking about. The things you say need to be backed up by identifiable, physical evidence - not based on what a group of lads might say in an arcade in Woking. You saying "Come to woking, come to woking..." defies what politics and debate on an internet discussion board...is about really.
  • Options
    Look mate, no one doubts that your experience is that of a divided community with many problems (oh and don't doubt that people your talking about feel the same way about you or you do about them), the problem is that stereotyping whole communities leads to more racism, and racism, from whatever race, leads to more violence. The point is there's nothing intrinsic about you or about the people from your town (white, black, or any shade or creed between) that means it has to be this way. Racism encourages the negative in life, as does see the whole world from only your shoes.