Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why is that people seem to think people with religion have stature

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hidrick wrote:
    I'm fairly new to this forum but can I ask a question? Why are so many people anti-religion? Or at least thats how it seems to appear to me.

I'm not anti-religion per se. What I am against though is people using their religion to justify bigotry or stupidity.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not anti-religion per se. What I am against though is people using their religion to justify bigotry or stupidity.

im ok with even that, as end of the day its a persons free choice, the concept of free choice is not the problem, its the resultant effects made from those decisions that are

its people who try to justify bigotry and stupidity and think it is the norm, that their religion isnt justifying it, but infact they are soo blind they think their religion "is it"
  • Options
  • Options
    I have no problem with religion as metaphor and allegory, I have stated this many times on here. The problem comes when people decide that the Bible (or Koran or whatever) is literal truth.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    btw the Bible says the earth is flat.

It does? Theologians I know dispute it.

Gonna give us a reference to check it up?
  • Options
  • Options
    Going to actually give us some real proof, or is the witterings of a book not in the Bible going to have to suffice?
  • Options
    Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    What I don't understand is why people can't accept that both religious and scientific viewpoints can be equally as valid and actually complement each other. The bible says life began in a certain order - so does science. Science says that obviosuly everything wasn't created inside a week - God says that he uses time as a metaphor.

Because inherently they contradict each other. One looks for answers while the other claims to have them.
  • Options
    Most of your source discusses something called "Enoch" which, last time I checked, had nothing at all to do with the Bible.

And as we are talking about the Bible here...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Most of your source discusses something called "Enoch" which, last time I checked, had nothing at all to do with the Bible.

And as we are talking about the Bible here...

Its from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's version of the Bible apparently. That article does also quote from the protestant orthodox bible as well.
    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Book+of+Enoch&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1
  • Options
    Here's a page with some more passages
    http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Flat_Earth.htm
    now I know that anything can be backed up by quoting selectively from the Bible - its a contradictory book. I'm just pointing out how silly morrocan roll's assertion that the Bible states the earth is suspended in space is.
  • Options
    I'm not 100% certain of my grasp on evolutionary theory as it's been years since I studied it, but wouldn't all humans have descended from a single couple originally via evolution? The first homo sapiens must have been few and far between and are everyone's common ancestors, no?

What I don't understand is why people can't accept that both religious and scientific viewpoints can be equally as valid and actually complement each other. The bible says life began in a certain order - so does science. Science says that obviosuly everything wasn't created inside a week - God says that he uses time as a metaphor.
    You will usually find that (some) religious people are the ones who can't accept anything other than the literal version of events found in the Bible. Even though I don't believe in most of what the Bible claims I accept some stories and tales are based on true events and reflect happenings at the time.

For instance, the earth was not covered by water in its entirety for 40 days and the land animal species we know today do not descend from a single couple of each species put in a boat by some bloke. However there were probably very large floods in the Middle East region at some point that inspired such tale.

It's those who insist on taking the literal road and want to teach children that the entire human race descends from a single human couple created overnight by a deity, or that the languages of the world were also created overnight by a God wanting to sabotage the building of a tower ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) I have a problem with. Because is undoubtedly bovine excrement. Ditto hatred and bigotry towards homosexuality, sexual relationships outside of marriage and so on based on single quotes from dubious sources.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    However there were probably very large floods in the Middle East region at some point that inspired such tale.

From the perspective of the people at the time who lived in that area (and consequently wrote the stories) that was the entire planet. The could not see beyond their own area...
  • Options
    If you follow a book based ideology then you have to follow it as written. The bible specifically states that it's 100% to be followed literally. (Or wailing, gnashing of teeth, yadda yadda)

The problem with it is that once you accept that one part of it is flawed, you can take what you like from it and in that case you might as well not be part of an organised religion at all.
    Ditto hatred and bigotry towards homosexuality, sexual relationships outside of marriage and so on based on single quotes from dubious sources.

Yeah, you could get the phone book and pik'n'mix it to get it to say what you want. On both sides, i would just like to point out. there's as much "evidence" for the "boil them in oil brigade" as for the "live and let live group."

If you are going to follow others you are fucked, simple as.
  • Options
    From the perspective of the people at the time who lived in that area (and consequently wrote the stories) that was the entire planet. The could not see beyond their own area...
    Fair enough. However they would have seen, or be told, or known, about a man building an ark and going on a tour of the world collecting several tens of thousands live specimens of animals to put them in it.

And since that clearly and unequivocally did not happen the fact remains that a number of stories found in the Bible have been simply made up. Which is fine by me, so long as people acknowledge the Bible is not infallible and it must not be taken literally but rather as a guidance. And then, a rather bad guide at that, given the high levels of hatred, mindless violence and bloodshed it advocates for all sorts of actions such as working on the wrong day of the week or touching the missus while she has the painters in.
  • Options
    The Christians, Moslems and Jews all believe in a God, all have their holy books, all are religions that evoke strong passionate beliefs and devout followings that have existed for many hundreds, even thousands of years, all currently have millions of believers so shouldn't we look closely at what they condemn and why?
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    The Christians, Moslems and Jews all believe in a God, all have their holy books, all are religions that evoke strong passionate beliefs and devout followings that have existed for many hundreds, even thousands of years, all currently have millions of believers so shouldn't we look closely at what they condemn and why?
    Uhm isn't it easy enough? It's that they're written in their scriptures/holy books.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:

Why?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    However they would have seen, or be told, or known, about a man building an ark and going on a tour of the world collecting several tens of thousands live specimens of animals to put them in it.[/quote

well actually the Bible says they did. And they mocked him mercilessly. And then they drowned.
  • Options
    Which goes to prove without doubt that the Bible is not infallible and that it tells porkies.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Which goes to prove without doubt that the Bible is not infallible and that it tells porkies.

There's a classic quote in there somewhere!

"and jesus said to his disciples, go forth and tell porkies!"

:D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    :confused:

In the known world of the time it was probably true, tbh.
  • Options
    It is not true that a man built an ark and put a couple of each land animal species in it.

Yet the Bible claims it happened.
  • Options
    It's cheap, I know, but:

prove it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is not true that a man built an ark and put a couple of each land animal species in it.

Yet the Bible claims it happened.

Did Noah repoulate the world after the floods?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Parables?
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    Parables?

Yeah, the Bible is metaphor and allegory. Not literal truth. Some people however, believe that it is literal truth. This is very silly.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yeah, the Bible is metaphor and allegory. Not literal truth. Some people however, believe that it is literal truth. This is very silly.

the bible as a whole id taken as parables teach you a very good way of livinig in harmony with everyone, and of course every christian these days doesnt judge those who dont follow the bible by the bibles statements ;)
  • Options
    the bible as a whole id taken as parables teach you a very good way of livinig in harmony with everyone, and of course every christian these days doesnt judge those who dont follow the bible by the bibles statements ;)

The bible certainly does promote good ways of behaving and living your life. It also contains some pretty horrendous ideas as well.