Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why is that people seem to think people with religion have stature

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dont have a religion, i have absolutly 0 spiritual beliefs, however why is that people assume someone who religion or faith is somehow more moral....

from my experience, theres good and bad religious people like theres good and bad people who have no faith

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    As far as I can tell, it's only religious people who seem to think that. And only some of them. I imagine they're the same that think anyone who belongs to a different religion than them or no religion is a sinner.
  • Options
    "It's not where you stand but which way you face"

I think it's all in how the views (religious or otherwise) are held that you can tell a "good" person froma "bad" one. If it's a case of "I'm right and there are no other possibilities" then it's close minded zealotry, even when the views they hold are ostensibly agreeable.

Those intolerant of intolerance spring to mind, who behave as though forcing tolerance on someone who doesn't want it isn't intolerance in itself.
  • Options
    i dont have a religion, i have absolutly 0 spiritual beliefs, however why is that people assume someone who religion or faith is somehow more moral....

from my experience, theres good and bad religious people like theres good and bad people who have no faith

Partly because much of religion disguises hatred as righteousness.
  • Options

I would have said the opposite
  • Options

I was thinking the same. Just look at this board.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Just look at this board.

people on this board criticise religion, they don't criticse religious people's morals unless hating homosexuals and sodomy comes into the equation
  • Options
    why do people hold doctors in such high esteem?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    people on this board criticise religion, they don't criticse religious people's morals unless hating homosexuals and sodomy comes into the equation

Religious people are criticised for their beliefs. It is very rare that people state that they disagree with the belief, without throwing in an insult about being deluded or the likes.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Religious people are criticised for their beliefs. It is very rare that people state that they disagree with the belief, without throwing in an insult about being deluded or the likes.
    Agreed.

What makes a 'moral' person anyway?

Somebody who is homophobic may also help raise a lot of money for third world countries. A person who dislikes Jewish people may also be a wonderful and loving father. Being a liberal doesn't make somebody a good person in my opinion... Bearing in mind a great deal of 'liberals' I've met seem to be the politically correct thought police who think that doing drugs and slagging off racist people is a 'liberal' thing to do.

Morality is a social construct.
  • Options
    Agreed.

Somebody who is homophobic may also help raise a lot of money for third world countries. A person who dislikes Jewish people may also be a wonderful and loving father. Being a liberal doesn't make somebody a good person in my opinion... Bearing in mind a great deal of 'liberals' I've met seem to be the politically correct thought police who think that doing drugs and slagging off racist people is a 'liberal' thing to do.

so what..the difference between me and a religious person is that i use common sense to find my morals, religious people use a 2000 year old book and thats why they think anal sex and homosexuality are wrong...
  • Options
  • Options
    'Religious people' don't think that anal sex and homosexuality are wrong. Sorry to be pedantic here but when you have such a wide difference of opinion just within Christianity about what is right and what is not regarding homosexuality you can't make such a vague assertion as that.

sorry maybe i was making a sweeping generalisation...but they are supposed to think it's wrong and a too many do...
  • Options
    http://fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Buddhist_views_of_homosexuality

Makes sense to me. How many other religions say "well, these deep moral issues.... we're not going to take a stance, it wouldn't be right. it's really up to you to discover how you feel, based on your own mind, not what others have lead you towards."
  • Options
    become a jedi, after all thats what my census return said
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

Thats usually because the religous people on here are being self righteously bigoted.
  • Options
    Agreed.

:confused:

Eh? What has drugs got to do with it? Who thinks that slagging off racists is "liberal"? What do you even mean by "liberal"?
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    http://fixedreference.org/en/20040424/wikipedia/Buddhist_views_of_homosexuality

Makes sense to me. How many other religions say "well, these deep moral issues.... we're not going to take a stance, it wouldn't be right. it's really up to you to discover how you feel, based on your own mind, not what others have lead you towards."

They just reject all sex instead. Not very healthy IMO.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    They just reject all sex instead. Not very healthy IMO.

No, that's just for monks. The lay Buddhist is allowed sex.
  • Options
    "according to Buddhism desire leads to suffering and so it is to be avoided."
  • Options
    a guide to a liberal

'Cause I am tired of working for candidates who make me think I should be
    embarrassed to believe what I believe, Sam. I'm tired of getting them elected. We all need some therapy, because somebody came along and said "liberal" means soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense, and we're gonna tax you back to the Stone Age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to. And instead of saying "Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-eductaion, anti-choice, pro-gun,
    'Leave it to Beaver' trip back to the fifties," we cowered in the corner and said "Please, don't hurt me." No more. I really don't care who's right, who's wrong. We're both right. We're both wrong. Let's have two parties, huh? What do you say?

an extract from thewestwing
  • Options
    "The principle of right mind and right conduct applies to laypeople as well, but obviously this does not necessarily translate into abstinence."
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Thats usually because the religous people on here are being self righteously bigoted.
    And of course atheistic posters such as yourself are the very paragon of tolerance and informed debate?
  • Options

What that people assume those with religion are less moral? Hmm not so sure.

I think that these boards show that when a religious person uses their belief to belittle another then they undermine their own high ground. And that is why these boards give the impression that not having a religious background actually makes your more moral.

I suspect that the reality is more a case of everyone believes that they are more moral because of their own personal outlook. If you are religious then you believe that religion bring morals and vice versa...
  • Options
  • Options
    But I think there is a case for counting atheists as being religious anyway.

i thought atheism just meant not having faith in anything, that includes God, extra terrestrial life forms, eh the easter bunny and so on and so forth...plus they have no place of worship, just seminars really...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

i thought atheism just meant not having faith in anything, that includes God, extra terrestrial life forms, eh the easter bunny and so on and so forth...plus they have no place of worship, just seminars really...

Can't remember who said it, but I always found it true

'When Man ceases to believe in God he doesn't believe in nothing, but in everything'
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    'When Man ceases to believe in God he doesn't believe in nothing, but in everything'

must've found it at the back of a cereal box but makes sense :thumb:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i thought atheism just meant not having faith in anything, that includes God, extra terrestrial life forms, eh the easter bunny and so on and so forth

Basically it means to have no "religious" faith in God or any other "higher being".

Instead you'll find that atheists will put all their beliefs in "science", and claim that this is the only thing that can possibly be correct, even despite vast swathes of scientific "evidence" being little more than wild conjecture.

You'll find that atheists are as dogmatic, perhaps more so, than many "religious" people. They certainly have less tolerance of other faiths than many "religious" people.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Eh? What has drugs got to do with it? Who thinks that slagging off racists is "liberal"? What do you even mean by "liberal"?
    I was talking from a subcultural point of view. In my town there're a lot of people who sit around being fucked off their face on drugs and claiming to be open minded or 'liberal'... Yet they're unable to even listen to a slightly right wing point of view.

People very often fail to understand how subjective 'morality' is and everyone has double standards.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Basically it means to have no "religious" faith in God or any other "higher being".

Instead you'll find that atheists will put all their beliefs in "science", and claim that this is the only thing that can possibly be correct, even despite vast swathes of scientific "evidence" being little more than wild conjecture.
    I don't know any atheists who would fit that profile. Nor do I or anyone I know embrace "science" as the ultimate source of truth. There are countless questions that science has not been able to answer- some of them it might never do.

However science remains about seventy-five thousand trillion times more reliable than religion on about pretty much every single subject the two schools of thought collide on. Because one will make its claims on careful study, intelligent analysis and the best research and evidence we have at our disposal- while the other relies solely on tales and superstitions and will make some claims that are clearly and undoubtedly impossible and then ask us to believe it "just because".
    You'll find that atheists are as dogmatic, perhaps more so, than many "religious" people. They certainly have less tolerance of other faiths than many "religious" people.
    It might have something to do with the religions of the world being in the habit of torturing, imprisoning, murdering or censoring anyone who does as much as doubt their claims. After a few millennia it gets rather tiresome. When religious people start to get judged, criticised, censored, jailed, tortured or killed across the world by non-believers any accusation of intolerance might carry a little more weight.