Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why is that people seem to think people with religion have stature

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the bible as a whole id taken as parables teach you a very good way of livinig in harmony with everyone, and of course every christian these days doesnt judge those who dont follow the bible by the bibles statements ;)

Religion also plays on humanity's pyschological weakness...reinforcing feelings of guilt etc. Do you believe teaching people to abstain from sex and such like is a good way of living?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's cheap, I know, but:

prove it.
    Prove that the centre of the earth is not made of whipped cream and strawberry yogurt.

Prove that reality does exist and we're not just imagining all of this as we lay on capsules connected to The Matrix.

Prove that Elvis is not alive and working in a burger bar in Pluto serving 7-headed aliens, after he took a ride there in the Loch Ness Monster's personal flying saucer.

If you can't prove it, I claim all those things are true, and there is nothing you can do to convince me otherwise, and furthermore you have no right to say those things cannot be true.

Irritating and stupid isn't it? Well, welcome the world non-religious people face every day.

Have you stopped to think about how many species of land animals exist on this planet (tens if not hundreds of thousands)? Have you thought of the logistics of one man finding all of them, building an ark large enough for all of them, providing food and water for all of them, and getting them nicely on the ark and ensure they don't each other, and so on and on and on?

That is proof. It didn't happen. Fact. Fact. Fact.
  • Options
    you had a religious upbringing didnt you Aladdin? ;)
  • Options
    Prove that the centre of the earth is not made of whipped cream and strawberry yogurt.

If it's really dense cream, maybe. The centre of the earth is assumed to be iron and moving (therefore liquid) because of the earth magnetic field, and the action that seismographs show as ripples run deep and then bounce off ......something dense.
    Prove that reality does exist and we're not just imagining all of this as we lay on capsules connected to The Matrix.

No comment, even I realise it's been done to death and you aren't getting it.
    Prove that Elvis is not alive and working in a burger bar in Pluto serving 7-headed aliens, after he took a ride there in the Loch Ness Monster's personal flying saucer.

He is......now. You have convinced me, where do I worship you and hand over the cash?

No, it's not fact, it's just spectacularly unlikely, reasonable people don't hold things to be true in the face of overwhelming odds. Which leads me back to the point that it's not what views you hold, but how you hold them.

You might think that Noah had an ark, if you drop the idea the second it becomes absurd, then you are a reasonable human being. If you get the knives out, and start threatening me you aren't. You can hold scientifically proven (so far) views in the latter sense, and would be just as big a waste of space as a religious counterpart.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If it's really dense cream, maybe. The centre of the earth is assumed to be iron and moving (therefore liquid) because of the earth magnetic field, and the action that seismographs show as ripples run deep and then bounce off ......something dense.
    Well let me put my religious fundamentalist hat on and answer to you using their proven techniques.Since nobody has actually since the centre of the earth, and since science have got things wrong before, you still cannot prove the the centre of the earth is not made of lovely, yummy cream- dense or otherwise.

No comment, even I realise it's been done to death and you aren't getting it.
    Er no, I'm simply 'fighting fire with fire' as it were, and applying the tactics and arguments used by some religious people to other areas.

And by doing so one realises (if one needed any realising) how weak and absurd their reasoning can be.
  • Options
    Er no, I'm simply 'fighting fire with fire' as it were, and applying the tactics and arguments used by some religious people to other areas.

Yeah I know, I should use more emotes. :yes:

Could you put your reasoning hat on and have a look at the ideas of "nation" and "the state" then?

Irrational, unprovable belief or observable phenomenon objectively?
  • Options
    I'm not sure it can be applied to that argument to be honest. Nations or states are man-made and politically and/or socially created. One can choose to recognise them or not I guess...
  • Options
    I'm not sure it can be applied to that argument to be honest. Nations or states are man-made and politically and/or socially created. One can choose to recognise them or not I guess...

To fight "fire with fire", isn't that also true of religions?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And by doing so one realises (if one needed any realising) how weak and absurd their reasoning can be.
    You seem very anti-religion aladdin.
  • Options
    Anti-organised religion, yes. Because like the mafia organisations they tend to be, they have an urge to control other people's lives (even those who don't adhere to their beliefs) and have an undeserved influence on social and moral issues for everyone. Not to mention the immense catalogue of abuse, prejudice and intolerance some organised religions and its leaders have perpetrated against certain groups.

I have nothing against adults wishing to worship any particular god, or joining any faith they want, so long as they don't attempt to judge others and impose their values on them.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    You seem very anti-religion aladdin.

You seem very pro-religion Hidrick.
  • Options
    tbh i think ruling out the possibility of a God is just as arrogant as saying there definately is a God, no one knows, and although science can prove a lot of things, it can't prove there is no God...i know it's been said a load of times, but basically, all atheists and all religious people are complete wankers haha!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Have you stopped to think about how many species of land animals exist on this planet (tens if not hundreds of thousands)? Have you thought of the logistics of one man finding all of them, building an ark large enough for all of them, providing food and water for all of them, and getting them nicely on the ark and ensure they don't each other, and so on and on and on?

unless they evolded from a few select species, but then no wait thats wrong too :thumb:

being religious or not has nothing to do with science, its a way of living a life you think is a good life, and hoping other people do the same, whilst accepting not everyone believes in higher beings and whatnot
  • Options
    being religious or not has nothing to do with science, its a way of living a life you think is a good life, and hoping other people do the same, whilst accepting not everyone believes in higher beings and whatnot

yea thats' the way it's supposed to be...but 90% of religious people i know haven't got a clue what religion is, and the same goes with atheists, it's like they're rebelling against religion or something, pure pathetic...