Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

discipline in schools

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    As FTP rightly points out, raping your wife has only become a criminal offence since 1990. In the "golden age" it was perfectly acceptable to rape your wife, and it was not even a criminal offence- maybe that's why certain stats have possibly changed. If raping your wife isn't rape, then there will be fewer rapes. Food for thought.

It's interesting how this argument always develops. Children don't do what they are told, therefore they should get caned. Would it work the other way round: Welshbabe, if a kid didn't want to do his homework, would it be acceptable for him to cane you to excuse him from it? If not, why not.

All corporal punishment does is teach people that violence is how you maintain power. It's perfectly true, of course, but is it something we want in schools? Even more importantly, given that some of you think it acceptable to cause pain to weaker humans, would it be OK to beat up a wheelchair bound man who runs over my feet? A short sharp shock, he won't do it again.

Either violence is acceptable in a society or it is not. violence against children to "teach" them cannot be acceptable if I cannot beat the next person who cuts me up when I'm driving.

But violence is considered acceptable just not by authority figures, society isnt just the law, its the culture and the culture at the moment is that violence is acceptable it works it gets results.
    What about making children stay in after school as a punishment if this is aceptable then why cant I make you sit in your car with out moving for an hour as punishment if you cut me up ?
    What about writing lines a teacher can do that but I cant make you do that can I ?
    What ends up happening is that people arnt protected by violence this is a lesson I learned, after goingTo a politically correct youth club in the 80's and getting a kicking from 3 asian lads afterwords who were members of the club, after this (I told the organisers) they had a long discussion in which it was decided that retaliation (or any punishment) was the wrong thing, not pollitically correct you see,
    what did this teach me that violence is wrong, and non violent authority is the right way. Or did it teach me that youd better have violence on your side to be protected, and thet authority was useless they only looked after their own objectives and didn’t give a shit about me so theres no use telling.

What would have happened if theyd got a clip round the ear from a group leader (as my boxing instructors would have done, in fact if such a thing had happened in a boxing club the leaders there would have been outraged)

This was one of only a few similer incidents that happened to me didn’t scar me, but what about the kids in a tough school who get this kind of attention from bullies every day what hell their lives are, what lessons will they learn from this to adulthood, respect authority or if you’ve gort a problem deal with it by sudden violence it works, authority wont give a shit about you wont help you.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Maybe so, but I was such a meek and shy child I think it would have destroyed me being caned. Fear fucks me up big time, causes my spirit to go all funny and fucked up - Like I'm wetting myself with fear - I can feel it hiding away inside me - Allows room for spirit of "antichrist" to set up shop. Now I'm struggling to fight it off.
    I reckon being smacked turns kids into gimps too - Twists the mind in all sorts of strange ways.

Having to hide away in your own mind out of fear isn't such a good thing.

the fear of pain screws people more than pain itself whether it be social pain or whatever

parents should just threaten to tell their mates they wet the bed or something etc etc
  • Options
    To all those against this, how would you suggest dealing with a class of disrespectful, unruly children then? Im quite intreguied!
    I'll be honest, I don't have the exact answer. But there are a variety of other options. Besides, do you really think that a bunch of unruly youths to put up with being smacked around without retaliation?
    Although I wouldnt expect you to understand where I'm coming from when you haven't been in the situation of being a teacher!

EDIT: Oh whatever! That sort of "no one understands" emotional arguement doesn't hold any water.
  • Options
    Tequila wrote:
    Do you fancy going back to that sort of society?
    the sort of society that didn't need cameras and guards in schools?
    the sort of society where shop windows didn't have steel shutters on them?
    the sort of society where vandalism was almost non existant?
    the sort of society where broken families were few and far between?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Maybe so, but I was such a meek and shy child I think it would have destroyed me being caned. Fear fucks me up big time, causes my spirit to go all funny and fucked up - Like I'm wetting myself with fear - I can feel it hiding away inside me - Allows room for spirit of "antichrist" to set up shop. Now I'm struggling to fight it off.
    I reckon being smacked turns kids into gimps too - Twists the mind in all sorts of strange ways.

Having to hide away in your own mind out of fear isn't such a good thing.
    the cane was for the hardcore ...not shy well behaved children.
  • Options

The sort of society that didn't let women wear pants (skirts only)
    The sort of society where people got kicked out of school for having long hair
    The sort of society that had broken families but weren't willing the acknowledge them. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of positives, and plenty of negatives as well.
  • Options
    the cane was for the hardcore ...not shy well behaved children.

...unless they roled their eyes in class. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The sort of society that didn't let women wear pants (skirts only)
    The sort of society where people got kicked out of school for having long hair
    The sort of society that had broken families but weren't willing the acknowledge them. :rolleyes:

The sort of society that didn't let women wear pants (skirts only)...i have pictures of my mum and aunts in trousers in the 1940's ... The sort of society where people got kicked out of school for having long hair
    ......dress codes exist today. are you saying we can't as adults make rules for youngsters? The sort of society that had broken families but weren't willing the acknowledge them. rubbish!

all this modern thinking about being understanding etc ...doesn't seem to working very well does it.
  • Options
    ...unless they roled their eyes in class. :rolleyes:
    wouldn't have happened in my school as only the head could dish it out.
  • Options
    i went to school through the fifties and sixties when corporal punishment was the norm.
    the schools were not places of fear ...in fact they were mostly the opposite.
    they were safe calm contolled environments.
  • Options
    The sort of society that didn't let women wear pants (skirts only)...i have pictures of my mum and aunts in trousers in the 1940's ... The sort of society where people got kicked out of school for having long hair
    ......dress codes exist today. are you saying we can't as adults make rules for youngsters? The sort of society that had broken families but weren't willing the acknowledge them. rubbish!

all this modern thinking about being understanding etc ...doesn't seem to working very well does it.

I meant they had to wear skirts in school. Women have been able to wear pants for a long time. I would be hard pressed to argue against that. ;)

Long hair was titled as "antisocial behavior" and was looked down on enough that they would kick people out of school for having it. I would say that is a good example of how backward some of the thinking used to be back then.

riiiiight because the broken home didn't exist until the 1980's :rolleyes:
  • Options
    wouldn't have happened in my school as only the head could dish it out.

which doesn't mean that it didn't in other schools. I'm not sure if you read my original reply to your post, but that is what i was making reference to.
  • Options
    i went to school through the fifties and sixties when corporal punishment was the norm.
    the schools were not places of fear ...in fact they were mostly the opposite.
    they were safe calm contolled environments.

and that all stemmed from corporal punishment eh?
  • Options
    I meant they had to wear skirts in school. Women have been able to wear pants for a long time. I would be hard pressed to argue against that. ;)

Long hair was titled as "antisocial behavior" and was looked down on enough that they would kick people out of school for having it. I would say that is a good example of how backward some of the thinking used to be back then.

riiiiight because the broken home didn't exist until the 1980's :rolleyes:
    of course there were broken and damaged families but ...some of you seem to want to paint a picture of fear and violence back then ...i think the fear and violence is far more of a problem now ...as is children with absent fathers etc.
    so what if the rule stated no long hair?
    you seem to be implying that we as adults are not there to make any rules that the children may not like.
    goodnight ...
  • Options
    of course there were broken and damaged families but ...some of you seem to want to paint a picture of fear and violence back then ...i think the fear and violence is far more of a problem now ...as is children with absent fathers etc.
    so what if the rule stated no long hair?
    you seem to be implying that we as adults are not there to make any rules that the children may not like.
    goodnight ...

It wasn't an era of fear and violence, nor is this era. But you mentioned that broken homes were few and far between. And that my friend is a load of bull.

No long hair/unreasonable dress code/beating children in school=backwards thinking.

you (and soon to be me as well) are here to make rules which will create order and a good environment. I am not here to argue that it is not your job, I am simply saying that the negatives far outweigh the positives.

good afternoon.
  • Options
    Blimeh,

from reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that welshbabe, despite the course content of your degree, your views on "behavioural managment" are rather backwards compared to what I believe the majority of people in the teaching profession would have.

there's no reason to resort to violence to disipline children, I think it merely shows lazyness and a lack of social skills on the part of the elder party.

but then again, it's you (scarily enough) who's becoming the teacher, not me... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    To all those against this, how would you suggest dealing with a class of disrespectful, unruly children then? Im quite intreguied!

what would you say if the class retaliated against the corporal punishment?

i know i fucking would if someone in my class was being treated like that, am i wrong in holding back the teacher so they cant?
  • Options
    Thats not the point in those days, the kids taking part in violence had fear of authority, of the cane of the police giving them a kicking, and generally they were a little bit more honerable as regards who they handed their kicking out to.
    Now adays they definatly have no fear of schools, and limited fear of the police, there was no universily popular gangster culture in those days, as opposed to the likes of 50 cent.

And the withdrawal of corporal punishment is to blame? That's a mighty big assumption there. What do you base it on?
  • Options
    Its talking to a bunch of idiots on here as you keep twisting my posts! Just remembered why I stopped coming on here......its full of sad people with no lives! Bye

No one is twisting your posts. All people are asking is that you clarify your position and back up your arguments. Its called debate.
  • Options

What has this got to do with corporal punishment?
  • Options

You seem to be wearing a rather large pair of rose tinted specs.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You seem to be wearing a rather large pair of rose tinted specs.
    Dosnt atall what a silly comment, you deny his ma wore trousers or that they had dress codes in schools,

I might as well say I had a good lunch today, and you turn round and tell me Im not living in the real world cause you had a shitty lunch
  • Options
    What a silly post. He seems to be wearing rose tinted specs because there was never a "golden age". Some things were better, some worse.
  • Options
    He didnt sday golden age he just pointed out what was better, there has never in the history of the world been a golden age.

Rather than making the generaql comment "rose tinted specticals" address specificaly what he said and point out and discrepencies.
    I think there was less vandalism in the 50's and 60's, and threr wernt guards and cameras in school uyou disagree with what he say if so then point it out what.
  • Options
    Plenty of people have pointed out the discrepancies.
  • Options
    Your always chalenging others to get their facts right, Im not pointing out the discrepencies of the age then vs now, Id like you to point out the inacuracies of Mr Rolls statment or admit your wrong.

Just because somethings were worse in the past, and some things were better, dosnt mean if you want to take to good things you have to bring the bad things,

So we avoid this: Id say there was less vandalism in the 50's because of respect for comunity and authority maybe we should have a bit more of that respect now.
    Youd say, Oh in the 50's Stalin was in power in the Soviey Union, you want to bring that back and murder millions of people, and you want to go back to a racist South Africa,

Do you see how the two things arnt related, so are you going to actually point out why M R was having rose tinted glasses, based on what he said not what else was happening at the time.
  • Options
    Eh? I'm thoroughly confused. What's Stalin got to do with it? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? I'm thoroughly confused. What's Stalin got to do with it? :confused:
    Your throughly looking for a way to avoid answering the question.

I was pointing out that if there were bad anbd good things in the past we can bring the good with out the bad,

So what was rose tinted about MR's post
  • Options
    Other people have already pointed it out, but for the record - mods and rockers fighting on Brighton beach in the 60's, Teddy Boys and flicknives in the 50's, just because there were fewer "broken families" does not mean that there was less misery and abuse in the home etc etc
  • Options
    But he didnt say there wernt any fights there wernt teddy boys he said

"the sort of society that didn't need cameras and guards in schools?

all this modern thinking about being understanding etc ...doesn't seem to working very well does it"

So unless you disagree with the first 4 comments then your just looking for a quick sound bite to attack his post with cause youve got nothing constructive to point out.