Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

discipline in schools

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im not being funny but what are your beliefs on parents smacking their own children?

I'd say there are more effective and less violent ways to teach your child boundaries.
  • Options
    I wasnt saying it was the only factor. So what are your suggestions for better control in the classroom then?

You suggested there was a direct causal link between corporal punishment being withdrawn and the rise of violent crime.
    Im not being funny but what are your beliefs on parents smacking their own children?

I don't think its a good idea.
  • Options
    No actually statistics show that its worse now!

Which stats? Quote some.
    We are in a worse society now. Wives and children still get abused or have I missed something?

Worse in what way? I agree some things are worse, some things are better.
  • Options
    Itend to agree with welsh babe, I think that society has got more violent, its a bit of a paradox whilst violence towards children has become unacceptable violence by children has become much more wide spread, a lot of people will say its not worse it just appears so, every generation has those fears, (teddy boys) etc, even Plato (I think) was moaning in BC 45 (or whanever) that the younger generation is out of controlle and has no respect.

Well I think it actually has got worse, violence is much more on TV and is portrayed as a way of getting results, much more so than when I was a lad.

So the lesson moves from, get out of line and get controlled violence inflicted on you by a responcible authority figure (in the overwhelming majority of cases tearchers giving a slap were just this)

The lesson is now, if you use violence you get what you want and wont have it inflicted back at you, teachers are mostly powerless to stop this, there is no danger of the violence coming back at you.

Im reminded of types of people who hang around in gangs (or small groupes)and like a reason to give someone a kicking, but have nerver had one them selfes, those who have arnt usually so keen to inflict it opon another with out good reason
  • Options
    When was the 'golden age'?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    When was the 'golden age'?
    There never has been, just better in some ways than today
  • Options
    Itend to agree with welsh babe, I think that society has got more violent, its a bit of a paradox whilst violence towards children has become unacceptable violence by children has become much more wide spread, a lot of people will say its not worse it just appears so, every generation has those fears, (teddy boys) etc, even Plato (I think) was moaning in BC 45 (or whanever) that the younger generation is out of controlle and has no respect.

Well I think it actually has got worse, violence is much more on TV and is portrayed as a way of getting results, much more so than when I was a lad.

I can quite believe that society has become more violent as a whole in the last few decades, but I have great difficulty - as a social historian - believing that we're a more violent society than, say, a century ago. And even, to be honest, although people look at the 1950s and '60s as a more civil and peaceable time, I don't see gangs of mods and rockers with flick-knives fighting in town centres in 2005...
  • Options
    I seem to have been misunderstood. What WelshBabe may count as being 'nothing' might be different from what a father or husband may see as being nothing. For instance, someone's wife getting a kicking for not providing her husband's tea just when and how he likes it may be seen by you as a case of appalling domestic violence but may be seen by the husband and some the guy knows as perfectly reasonable punishment.

Not everyone sees the boundaries as being the same, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    I can quite believe that society has become more violent as a whole in the last few decades, but I have great difficulty - as a social historian - believing that we're a more violent society than, say, a century ago. And even, to be honest, although people look at the 1950s and '60s as a more civil and peaceable time, I don't see gangs of mods and rockers with flick-knives fighting in town centres in 2005...

Thats not the point in those days, the kids taking part in violence had fear of authority, of the cane of the police giving them a kicking, and generally they were a little bit more honerable as regards who they handed their kicking out to.
    Now adays they definatly have no fear of schools, and limited fear of the police, there was no universily popular gangster culture in those days, as opposed to the likes of 50 cent.
  • Options
    Thats not the point in those days, the kids taking part in violence had fear of authority, of the cane of the police giving them a kicking, and generally they were a little bit more honerable as regards who they handed their kicking out to..

So police brutality is a good thing?
  • Options
    It really wasn't that long ago that young women who got pregnant were forced to give up their babies for adoption, and when, for most women divorce was nigh on impossible. When the police wouldn't arrest a man for beating his wife unless she made a complaint (and then stood the risk of being beaten until she dropped it) and when the law said that marriage meant a man coiuld not rape his wife.

Now women have far more choice, and babies are hard to adopt as it is possible for their mothers to raise them. Its far easier to leave an abusive partner - things have improved - regardless of the fact that there are those who bemoan the changes and would like to turn the clock back. Far fewer women are forced to endure abusive relationships, and far fewer men see beating women as legitimate.

In terms of kids, there is no doubt in my mind that a moral panic is being manufactured before our very eyes - nor is there any doubt that kids are subjected to stringent marketing, that violence on TV and video games does have an effect on some, and that many kids have less parenting due to the demands of the labour market.

But to think that the answer lies in inflicting pain on childrens bodies and minds, is pretty damn barbaric.

However you choose to look at it.
  • Options
    Thats not the point in those days, the kids taking part in violence had fear of authority, of the cane of the police giving them a kicking, and generally they were a little bit more honerable as regards who they handed their kicking out to.
    Now adays they definatly have no fear of schools, and limited fear of the police, there was no universily popular gangster culture in those days, as opposed to the likes of 50 cent.

No, you're wrong: it is the point. I agree that the form of violence in society has changed a bit, but what I was trying to say is that violence hasn't come from nowhere. It's always been there, and I don't think that the abolition of corporal punishment in schools - which was the original point of this thread - has altered it much.

I also think it's an extremely good thing that teachers and, especially, policemen can't deal out casual violence whenever they feel like it.
  • Options
    In terms of kids, there is no doubt in my mind that a moral panic is being manufactured before our very eyes - nor is there any doubt that kids are subjected to stringent marketing, that violence on TV and video games does have an effect on some, and that many kids have less parenting due to the demands of the labour market.

Spot on. :)
  • Options
    It really wasn't that long ago that young women who got pregnant were forced to give up their babies for adoption, and when, for most women divorce was nigh on impossible. When the police wouldn't arrest a man for beating his wife unless she made a complaint (and then stood the risk of being beaten until she dropped it) and when the law said that marriage meant a man coiuld not rape his wife.

Now women have far more choice, and babies are hard to adopt as it is possible for their mothers to raise them. Its far easier to leave an abusive partner - things have improved - regardless of the fact that there are those who bemoan the changes and would like to turn the clock back. Far fewer women are forced to endure abusive relationships, and far fewer men see beating women as legitimate.

But to think that the answer lies in inflicting pain on childrens bodies and minds, is pretty damn barbaric.

I wish I'd said that. I agree with every word. :)
  • Options

Yes and in the old days the world was flat and people died of diseases that are now curable does that mean if we go back to corpril punishment this will all change, Im not saying that everything was better in the old days, just not everythings worse, some things were better.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    No, you're wrong: it is the point. I agree that the form of violence in society has changed a bit, but what I was trying to say is that violence hasn't come from nowhere. It's always been there, and I don't think that the abolition of corporal punishment in schools - which was the original point of this thread - has altered it much.

I also think it's an extremely good thing that teachers and, especially, policemen can't deal out casual violence whenever they feel like it.

I'm not saying it should be as extreme as it was before, because it was often taken way to far! For example, the punishment only being carried out by the head teacher after 3 cases of bad behaviour by a student. There would obviously be a written policy on it in every school if it was brought back in, unlike before when teachers could pick on someone if they were having a bad day themselves and felt like taking it out on someone.
  • Options
    As FTP rightly points out, raping your wife has only become a criminal offence since 1990. In the "golden age" it was perfectly acceptable to rape your wife, and it was not even a criminal offence- maybe that's why certain stats have possibly changed. If raping your wife isn't rape, then there will be fewer rapes. Food for thought.

It's interesting how this argument always develops. Children don't do what they are told, therefore they should get caned. Would it work the other way round: Welshbabe, if a kid didn't want to do his homework, would it be acceptable for him to cane you to excuse him from it? If not, why not.

All corporal punishment does is teach people that violence is how you maintain power. It's perfectly true, of course, but is it something we want in schools? Even more importantly, given that some of you think it acceptable to cause pain to weaker humans, would it be OK to beat up a wheelchair bound man who runs over my feet? A short sharp shock, he won't do it again.

Either violence is acceptable in a society or it is not. violence against children to "teach" them cannot be acceptable if I cannot beat the next person who cuts me up when I'm driving.
  • Options
    To all those against this, how would you suggest dealing with a class of disrespectful, unruly children then? Im quite intreguied!

Although I wouldnt expect you to understand where I'm coming from when you haven't been in the situation of being a teacher!
  • Options
    I'm not saying it should be as extreme as it was before, because it was often taken way to far! For example, the punishment only being carried out by the head teacher after 3 cases of bad behaviour by a student. There would obviously be a written policy on it in every school if it was brought back in, unlike before when teachers could pick on someone if they were having a bad day themselves and felt like taking it out on someone.

That is all very well ... but so what? You've not made any sort of case for reinstating corporal punishment beyond a few vague assertions about the good old days and how much more violent society has become - which perhaps it has, but I can think of several reasons for that aside from the abolition of caning. If you think it's a good idea, then make your case - but you've not convinced me so far.

Btw, much of what I have read on the subject suggest that the effect of corporal punishment on behaviour was marginal. A good teacher would rarely have to use it: bad teachers used it to cover up for their own inadequacies. And in either case, being able to take a caning became a bit of a badge of honour on the part of some - which hardly suggests that it was that great a deterrent, does it?
  • Options
    Although I wouldnt expect you to understand where I'm coming from when you haven't been in the situation of being a teacher!

Of course, as a 23-year-old barely out of teacher training college you have soooo much more than theory to back up your case... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    That is all very well ... but so what? You've not made any sort of case for reinstating corporal punishment beyond a few vague assertions about the good old days and how much more violent society has become - which perhaps it has, but I can think of several reasons for that aside from the abolition of caning. If you think it's a good idea, then make your case - but you've not convinced me so far.

Btw, much of what I have read on the subject suggest that the effect of corporal punishment on behaviour was marginal. A good teacher would rarely have to use it: bad teachers used it to cover up for their own inadequacies. And in either case, being able to take a caning became a bit of a badge of honour on the part of some - which hardly suggests that it was that great a deterrent, does it?

Thats why i suggested just the head teacher having the responsibility!
  • Options

The relevance of that is...? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Of course, as a 23-year-old barely out of teacher training college you have soooo much more than theory to back up your case... :rolleyes:

Ok I've only taught in 4 different schools for 60 weeks fair enough but I have more of an idea than you!

Also the last time i checked, this was a free country and I have a right to my own oppinion, however much experience I have of it!
  • Options
    To all those against this, how would you suggest dealing with a class of disrespectful, unruly children then? Im quite intreguied!

Well several of my teachers managed it without having to hit anyone. They were good teachers who were fair and respected their pupils, I guess that is how it is done.

Respect is earned not a right. An awful lot of teachers seem to forget that.

Oh, for goodness sake, only you know because only you in the whole world have been a teacher or worked in a classroom. If my mother can control kids without even raising her voice then anyone can, it comes down to ability I am afraid.

Teachers who would need the threat of violence to maintain order are not very good teachers.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    The relevance of that is...? :confused::confused:

So that certain teachers dont abuse it duh!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well several of my teachers managed it without having to hit anyone. They were good teachers who were fair and respected their pupils, I guess that is how it is done.

Respect is earned not a right. An awful lot of teachers seem to forget that.

Oh, for goodness sake, only you know because only you in the whole world have been a teacher or worked in a classroom. If my mother can control kids without even raising her voice then anyone can, it comes down to ability I am afraid.

Teachers who would need the threat of violence to maintain order are not very good teachers.

Its talking to a bunch of idiots on here as you keep twisting my posts! Just remembered why I stopped coming on here......its full of sad people with no lives! Bye
  • Options

So it's OK to beat someone if you are senior?

If I was a boss of a company, could I beat the staff if they talk instead of working? IF they use the internet for personal things? Spend too long at the bogs?

Should I be able to hit someone who smokes in the corridor?

Should the headmaster be able to beat his staff who don't do the job properly?
  • Options
    Its talking to a bunch of idiots on here as you keep twisting my posts!

Yes, we keep twisting your posts by asking you to clarify a position.

Poor schnookums. Have a big hug.

FYI you said we wouldn't understand because we're not teachers, implying that your opinion has greater credence because you have been a teacher for ten minutes. That's not how it works, hon. If you are going to sulk instead of defend your position, or contemplate a new one, then ta-ra :wave:
  • Options

Respect isn't a by-product of a teachers qualification - its something that human beings have to earn. Thats most commonly done through communication, fairness and showing respect to the other human being. It also helps in teaching if you provide stimulating and challenging lessons.

Threatening the big stick isn't a way of earning respect, especially if you then have to rely on someone else to back you up and administer it on your behalf
    :eek:

Instilling fear into children isn't the same as earning respect.
  • Options
    Thanks for branding everyone here who didn't agree with teachers or the police using violence on children 'a bunch of idiots'. What a well-argued point.