Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Government to monitor 3 year olds for potential criminality...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Saying smoking a spliff isn't victimless is easy following the same logic that record labels use to say piracy is not victimless.

Eh? How?
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think cannabis should be illegal either, it should be noted.

Noted. :)
  • Options
    Not the same thing at all really. Piracy is while not the strict definition of stealing (as the person is not deprived of what they originally owned) is seen now as a form of stealing as you are not paying for something you own and I don't really see how growing your own weed relates to this?

considering when home playback devices were claimed to be pirated version of the real singers performances by the record companies

or with vhs being a recotrding devicce in the 80s

all bollocks really, they get extra business in the west as a whole, exactly why album sales rise year on year
  • Options
    I was more meaning that, even if the bloke you buy it from at work is honest, somewhere along the line the crims get involved and end up hurting everyone.

If you disagree that it happens with the case of cannabis thats fine. I certainly don't think it happens enough any more for it to be illegal- certainly not compared with the wonderful business practises of BAT et al- but it does happen.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Can anyone get any sense out of seekers posts? 'cos I can't. I might stick him back on ignore.

Perhaps I should stick to the script ;)

(Seeker presses the rewind button and starts again)

=================================

Kermit,

Here`s a question specifically for you(but don`t let that put you others off!)

You have mentioned the word "crime" often in this thread,so what do you consider "a crime" ?

seeker
  • Options
    considering when home playback devices were claimed to be pirated version of the real singers performances by the record companies

or with vhs being a recotrding devicce in the 80s

all bollocks really, they get extra business in the west as a whole, exactly why album sales rise year on year

Piracy isn't just about music though its about people running dodgy versions of windows or pirate films so of course it does harm someone.

OK Kermit see what you were getting at now.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I was more meaning that, even if the bloke you buy it from at work is honest, somewhere along the line the crims get involved and end up hurting everyone.

If you disagree that it happens with the case of cannabis thats fine. I certainly don't think it happens enough any more for it to be illegal- certainly not compared with the wonderful business practises of BAT et al- but it does happen.

Yes, there are some nasty bastards involved in the production and distribution of cannabis. But there are also some very nice people too. As I said, a lot of cannabis is grown and distributed among groups of mates.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Perhaps I should stick to the script ;)

(Seeker presses the rewind button and starts again)

=================================

Kermit,

Here`s a question specifically for you(but don`t let that put you others off!)

You have mentioned the word "crime" often in this thread,so what do you consider "a crime" ?

seeker

Yes, a debate about the social and political nature of "crime" would be useful.
  • Options
    all this piracy bollox ...i paid good money for this pc and its many wonders ...so what am i supposed to do with it?
    as for the record companies they have robbed us blind for years!
    sting and the like will still be multi millionaires so...fuck 'em.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

record companies legitimatelly mug you too, just another ruthless gang really, but in nice offices and on stockmarket
  • Options

And most artists won't be.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I was obviously just entertainment. Now I'm a paranoid schizophrenic.

whats there to be paranoid about, if there was a conspiracy i would tell you about it ;)
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I'm shy. I don't like people fussing over me. Plus I like being alone sometimes. I enjoy solitary confinement. Thinking people are watching me leads to me thinking that people are listening to my thoughts etc. That means people are stealing my ideas etc.

:confused::lol: i can assure you, there are very few people in this world who can read other people's thoughts, and if you've had an idea and see it on TV later, it just means somoene else thought of it aswell and probably even before you thought of it...having people fuss over you is a good thing, it shows people care, shows that there are intrinsinct bonds between humans, very beneficial to the mind imo...
  • Options
    all this piracy bollox ...i paid good money for this pc and its many wonders ...so what am i supposed to do with it?
    as for the record companies they have robbed us blind for years!

Yes but the money you paid for your PC is not paid to the people who develop software.
  • Options
    Yes but the money you paid for your PC is not paid to the people who develop software.
    tough. the money i paid was for dvd cd copying hardware and software ...all standard stuff.
    so ...hit the people who sell me this stuff.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Who do buy it off?
    Who did they maim/rape/kill in the process?
    Who did their supplier hurt in the process?

etc etc.

There are varying degrees of "victim", but there's no victimless crime.

Nudism: A crime (under some silly "Breach of the Peace" law or something) yet victimless. People may get offended or shocked due to the way they've been brought up, but the nudity still doesn't harm people. For people who have been sexually abused and therefore find a nudist to be scary and may get flashbacks, that's not a result of the nudism, it's a result of the abuse - lots of things can result in flashbacks for people who have been sexually abused, it can be something as innocent as certain wallpaper, a nude person, or a hospital bed - that doesn't mean those innocent things are bad.

Not all crimes have been made crimes for the benefit of potential victims. Some are just stupid.
  • Options
    klintock wrote: »
    If smoking dope creates a "victim", then so does eating burgers or smoking fags.

Obvious horseshit.

That'd be all crime without an injured party. In order for an injury to occur, someone would have to be injured. These days the law seems unable to distinguish between when an injury has occured, and when an injury might, possibly in some chilly alternate universe occur if sets of conditions are met.

But, then the whole thing is set up for the purpose of getting money. The "crime" bit is just a remnant from it's origins and makes for good PR.

Sorry but DUH. Smoking (near others) creates many victims, often kids who will die slowly because of you smoking near them. Hence why the U.K. brought in a smoking restriction.
  • Options
    Actually the vast preponderance of laws are created just to turn otherwise decent folk into criminals to feed a very lucrative criminal jusitce/prison system. The real victims are average citizens who are turned into criminals by the actual criminals in power.

No, most laws are created for a good reason. If you take away most laws, there would be rapes left right and centre, cars would constantly crash into each other, there would be more dead people, etc etc etc

Also, do you people read the stuff on this site? Smoking weed CAN be victimless, but isn't always
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Were you in a coma for 3 years and haven't yet realised?
  • Options
    Were you in a coma for 3 years and haven't yet realised?

who am I?

:)
  • Options
  • Options
    3years Old ...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ban plz.

Jesus, necromancy is neither funny not clever. Let dead threads rest in peace.

Also holy shit I remember this thread.