Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

France says Non!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    Nearly as funny as those who say signing up to the Constitution will mean "SIGNING AWAY OUR SOVEREIGNTY" and that "1,000 YEARS OF BRITISH HISTORY AND HERITAGE DOWN THE PAN" (copyright The S*n & The Daily Mosley).

Oh its at least as equally funny as stuff written in the sun. People seem to forget the fact that firms trade not governments.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Funnily enough Aladdin is right and wrong. Its not true that we'll be signing away our soverignity as arguably we signed important chunks of that away years ago... :(
    Personally I think the European Communities Act 1972 was a good piece of legislation, and the pathetic whingeings of Thoburn, and the legal crap-speak of Factortame, proved just how good it was.

Though I must admit I'm a Europhile, I think the EUCA was splendid.
  • Options
    I'm not against the EEC, just what came afterwards...

Unfortunately I've had to deal with the Commission which has made me even more eurosceptic than before.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Red herring! Stop talking rubbish lamp boy.

Red herring! Stop talking rubbish. People will still be able to work abroad.

Sometimes I wonder what planet you are on. I'm certain that you aren't the person you say you are.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence would recognise that if the EU disappeared then visa etc would apply as they did before. Borders would go up, rights to import goods would change, rights to duty free would be removed... I may be euro-skeptic but I'm not blind.

For all that to remain there would need to be a certain amount of treaties to replace the existing ones. These existing treaties are based around the existence of the EU. You cannot currently have one without the other.

That kind of puts us back a few years, but then I don't have a problem with that. I see the benefits of trading agreements, it's the politics I can't see the point of.
  • Options
    im against the 'consttution' even if im for europre cause i didnt liek the idea of a foreign minister and whatnot, and if were goingo have a constitution have a blunt one not a 300 page document
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Do you want to apply for visas from now on every time you travel in the Continent?

We managed before...

Modern visas came after passports, and are 'outranked' by them.
    The first true National Passport, the UK Passport became available in 1858 only to United Kingdom nationals. As well as an aid to travel it was a national identity document (with the backing of the most powerful empire ever!), don’t mess with Vic was the simple message.

For the sake of NQA who thought his passport gave him a national identity, the Telegraph on passports
    what a various, uncertain and unstable thing the concept of a passport really is. What seems the most heavyweight of identity documents is, in international legal terms, virtually weightless; international law has almost nothing to say about passports, except where safe-conducts for diplomats are concerned. And whether a passport confers any rights within the state, such as the right of abode, is purely a matter for the state to decide. There is no absolute right to a passport; in the United Kingdom, passports are still issued by royal prerogative alone.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Do you want the EU to dissapear completely Captain Slog?

Do you want to apply for visas from now on every time you travel in the Continent?

Do you want to be restricted to live and work in your own country only, for all your life, unless a working or living visa for elsewhere can be obtained?

Do you want trade to drastically reduce and businesses in Britain and elsewhere to lose hundreds of billions of Pounds in trade?

Not for me, thanks.
    I have no problems with having a trade agreement with Europe.
    However the EU goes too far beyond that. Political and monetary Union is something I would rather avoid.

The Common Agriculture and Fisheries policies are bad for Britain.
    The European Parliament is an interfering, expensive gravy train.
    The European "Human rights" legislation is a joke.
    Britain puts far more money into the EU than we get out of it: We are subsidising less well off nations for what benefit?

I really don't care if I can't work in another country. I'm happy to stay here.

Would we really lose all that trade without the EU? We managed well enough before the EU's creation.
  • Options
    We managed before...
    And I'm sure people would manage again. But some europhobes seem to imply that Britain would (or even should) retain certain benefits the EU has provided for us all, such as freedom of movement and the ability to set up residence and hold a job anywhere we want within the Union.

Well, I'm sorry but they cannot have it both ways. If they hate the EU so much they should prepared themselves for the fact that if the EU were to dissapear they would not be able to do that booze cruise to Calais or to stay in Spain for 5 months during the winter without applying for visas first. That buying property abroad would be made much more difficult. And that moving permanently to the Continent and getting a job there would be as difficult as it is for the US or Australia.

The ultra hypocrite perma-tanned muppet Killroy-Silk certainly comes to mind. For all his rants about the "evil" EU, he's more than happy to exploit the benefits it provides to us all and to own property abroad, travel freely within the EU and live for long periods in other countries. The same could be said, I suspect, about countless Daily Mailers and assorted types in this country who bang on about the nasty EU even as they visit the latest "Buy Property in Spain" show at Earls Court and spend 6 months a year tanning in Costa del Sol.
  • Options
    I have no intention of ever living in France or Spain. I may have to travel there to join a ship, but apart from that I don't feel the need to travel abroad.

If I went to the USA I would need a visa (in fact I have one), so I don't have a problem with needing one to go to Europe.
  • Options
    That's fair enough Captain Slog, but the funny thing is that there are a great many people in this country who don't. They enjoy their regular, hassle-free trips to Calais to deprive the UK taxman of funds and stockpile booze and fags; they enjoy their property in the sun and spending several months abroad when they please; and yet they jump on the europhobe bandwagon at any opportunity and lose no time accusing the EU of all sort of evils and claiming Britain gets no benefits from membership.

Can't get much more hypocritical than that IMO.
  • Options
    I think it's the bureaucratic overload that gets most people annoyed...not the free trade and easy travel.
  • Options
    I have no problems with having a trade agreement with Europe.
    However the EU goes too far beyond that. Political and monetary Union is something I would rather avoid.

The Common Agriculture and Fisheries policies are bad for Britain.
    The European Parliament is an interfering, expensive gravy train.
    Britain puts far more money into the EU than we get out of it: We are subsidising less well off nations for what benefit?

I really don't care if I can't work in another country. I'm happy to stay here.

Would we really lose all that trade without the EU? We managed well enough before the EU's creation.

The European Court of Human Rights is a separate institution from the EU, being part of the ECHR doesn’t bind us to EU membership nor visa versa as far as I’m aware.

I do sort of agree though. As far as I’m concerned the EU should be about free trade between its members and little more. Kinda like NAFTA. I thought only countries had a Parliament, a flag and a national anthem – well seeing as the EU has all three what exactly is it? The Daily Mail and co are stirring but I think there are some people in the EU who genuinely want a United States of Europe. And like most other people I don’t.
  • Options
    i like the eu for the freedom of movement and free trade and the aid projects it does, and perhaps regulation of certain things like health products etc

i dispice the common currency idea for now, and i hate the subsidies and the fact 2 countries are thr only net contributers to this crap

this was a treaty not a constitution

a real constitution would actually lay out what powers the eu has and the process, and what power nation states have

they need to celar up what powers eu has and what it doesnt, and why do we need a bloody foreign minister wholl represent us less than our national one
  • Options

You will find that the European Court of Human Rights is entirely separate to the European Union, and you will find that the UNited Kingdom set up the ECHR in the first place.

Not that I would expect many Europhobes to appreciate this glaringly obvious difference.

Nor, for that matter, would I expect people decrying "stupid human rights laws" to wish to benefit from things such as, say, a minimum wage or safe working conditions. Or habeas corpus, for that matter.

It is scaring me how often I am agreeing with Johann Hari at the minute, but this excellent article is worth considering when railing about "joke human rights legislation".
  • Options
    Doesn't the Amsterdam treaty aim to to eventually scrap common law in favour of Corpus Juris (that can be introduced with a simple majoirty vote) thus abolishing habeas corpus and trial by jury for crimes with sentences up to 7 years?
  • Options
    For the sake of NQA who thought his passport gave him a national identity, the Telegraph on passports

Learn to understand arguments. Passports do not give me an identity but are evidence that countries exist. Two totally different things.
  • Options
    Learn to understand arguments. Passports do not give me an identity but are evidence that countries exist. Two totally different things.

Roflmao.

If there really were "countries" and "nationalities" then why the hell would you need a passport?

Not even close to evidence. It's the reverse that is the case.

How do you make any brand?

First, make a logo, then make some adverts, then get "endorsed" by some person who has weight within the group of individuals you want to brainwash.

Even better, just assume it's there and people will make it up for you.

Consider the sentence

"Frank is next door"

In order to make sense of the sentence you have to create a "frank". So it is with "england".
  • Options
    :banghead:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Passports do not give me an identity but are evidence that countries exist.

Partially true.

They don't prove the existence of anything if you don't already believe in the existence of the said thing. All a passport is is a bit of expensive paper saying that you are a member of some abstract organisation. A country is not a concrete entity, it is merely an abstract organisation.

That's not to say that I agree with Klintock's argument that things cannot exist without a concrete presence, but the posession or existence of a passport does not prove the existence of an abstract.
  • Options
    They don't prove the existence of anything if you don't already believe in the existence of the said thing. All a passport is is a bit of expensive paper saying that you are a member of some abstract organisation. A country is not a concrete entity, it is merely an abstract organisation.

Yes. It's fundamentalit religion type proof - I have a pasport because there is a country, there is a country because I have a passport. Same ludicrous thinking process. "A country is not a concrete entity" but everyone acts s though it is, which gives it a knockabout semblance of existence. It's not a fact though, it's an opinion.
    That's not to say that I agree with Klintock's argument that things cannot exist without a concrete presence,

Ooooof. Name some things that exist without being "things". I am all excited. :hyper:
  • Options
    Does money exist?

Does capitalism exist?

Does society exist?

Does reality exist or we're all part of the Matrix?

If the answer to any (let alone all) of those questions is 'yes', then countries do most certainly exist.
  • Options
    Does money exist?

Nope. Even on it's own terms it died out quite some time ago.
    Does capitalism exist?

Nope.
    Does society exist?

Nope.
    If the answer to any (let alone all) of those questions is 'yes', then countries do most certainly exist.

Not only is the answer to all your questions "no" but the logic that leads one to the other is fucked up as well.

Do mars bars exist? Do gammon steaks exist? Do blades of grass exist? then God must exist!!!!

Obvious horseshit.
  • Options
    how does society not exist?
  • Options
    how does society not exist?

You lost me Mr. T.

How does it? What'sthe proof?

Is there evidence for the existence of "society?"
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You lost me Mr. T.

How does it? What'sthe proof?

Is there evidence for the existence of "society?"

i thought it was the word that describes how humans interact with each other in a certain country,town,time in history etc etc...well thats my understanding of the word...
  • Options
    Apparently nothing really exists, and we're all connected to the Matrix after all.

Oh well... I look forward to Trinity coming to the rescue.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I look forward to Trinity coming to the rescue.

i'm looking forward to coming on trinity :D