Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why I'm not voting rant

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But the facts prove that votes in many areas are wasted. Hell will freeze over before a Labour candidate gets in in Penrith, or a Tory gets in in Sunderland or the former pit villages of County Durham.

there are always a few examples, such as orpington, but the demographics of places such as Orpington are the main reason why it has happened there. Orpington, being in the Surrey commuter belt, was always most receptive to the New Labour spin- many other former Tory strongholds went in 1997 too, because Blair moved New Labour onto the Tories' territory.

Like it or not, whilst we have a FPTP system there are only about 120 seats which decide an election. Everyone else might as well not bother. In Northern Ireland the situation is even worse.

ETA: ShyBoy, I see what you mean now. Yes, I quite agree on that, a "none of the above" box would be helpful, but it wouldn't make a huge difference. People won't trek to the ballot box just to say they hate all of the bastards. Abolishing FPTP would be even better still, but that won't happen whilst people still buy into the fallacy of PR producing "weak" government.
  • Options
    Kermit, ask youself this.

If all of the people who failed to vote in Sunderland, actually voted Tory would the seat change hands?
  • Options
    Kermit, ask youself this.

If all of the people who failed to vote in Sunderland, actually voted Tory would the seat change hands?
    I think that is a fair question, and if that theoretical event happened it probably would change hands.

But it wouldn't happen like that, as FPTP doesn't just tyurn away the minority supporters from the ballot box, but it turns away many of the majority supporters too. If Labour would always get in, why bother going and voting Labour?

Personally I do believe that everyone should go and vote, regardless of where they live, but all I'm saying is that FPTP wastes most votes- in most constituencies, about 65-75% of the population voted against the MP voted in.

Your vote doesn't decide a government, it decides your MP, and that distance between vote and effect has a large disenfranchising effect.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    there are always a few examples, such as orpington, but the demographics of places such as Orpington are the main reason why it has happened there. Orpington, being in the Surrey commuter belt, was always most receptive to the New Labour spin- many other former Tory strongholds went in 1997 too, because Blair moved New Labour onto the Tories' territory.
    Kent. And Labour are nowhere to be seen.

As for FPTP/PR, I think you are kidding yourself.

It wouldn't improve people's interest in or engagement with politics because although they would be able to see an instant result of their vote, they would end up being assigned an MP from a party list, so they wouldn't actually have any choice of MP. Then voters have no loyalty to their MP, and MPs have no loyalty to their constituents. And you could end up with constiuencies like Orpington being assigned a Lib Dem MP despite having a Tory majority. It destroys constituencies. That may be good or bad, depending on your point of view, but is does place a barrier between voters and MPs.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If no one voted would the "government" disband? Not likely.

So voting is more about public relations than giving people any meaningful choice, imho.

If you vote, you give them legitimacy, which is all they really seek from you anyway. Your actual opinions are nothing to them unless they interfere with your productivity, and therefore the resources they can nick.

you might find that parliament gets disolved for an election, so they do give up power
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    1 million people marching through central London didn't stop a war. A million people voting against Blair in the general election could. You do the math.

If you really think that, you're more naive than I thought.
  • Options
    You completely mis-understand the concept of PR.

The German lander system works perfectly well, and is far better than our system. Oh, and German political participation, if you wish to measure this at the ballot box, is higher than here too.

The Tories and the Lib Dems have always had similar demographics, Kentish, it is a well-known fact. Which is why some places, such as Winchester, have Lib Dem MPs now, because those people were disillusioned withMajor but not wanting to vote Labour. A Labour supporter there still has no say in the government.

If you think that MPs have a "connection" to the constituency they "serve", and are "loyal" to it, then you're very naive. As Shaun Woodward, that world-renowned Liverpudlian illustrates.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

If you think that MPs have a "connection" to the constituency they "serve", and are "loyal" to it, then you're very naive. As Shaun Woodward, that world-renowned Liverpudlian illustrates.

youre sort of right, safest seats get ministers who tend to follow party line thus listen less

my area iis the 11th safest labour seat in country with a minor minister who looks like frankensteins monster, he voted for id cards therefore will no get my vote anyway

i will vote still , probably go to lib dems for not doing as much slagging off of other parties
  • Options
    i will vote still , probably go to lib dems for not doing as much slagging off of other parties
    oh our wonderful democracy!
    people now get elected not for vision or talent ...but cos they don't slap someone with a wet fish.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think it would make a real difference to this country. And there are disadvantages to it.
    In that case I'd rather be naive than cynical thanks. There are some good MPs amongst the many.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you really think that, you're more naive than I thought.
    Do explain.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't think it would make a real difference to this country. And there are disadvantages to it.

In that case I'd rather be naive than cynical thanks. There are some good MPs amongst the many.

Why wouldn't it make a difference to this country if your vote actually contributed to the election of someone whose views you really supported, rather than a choice between bad and worse? What are the disadvantages of a parliament which more accuarately reflects the views of voters?

However good the few MPs are, there are still party whips - and they didn't manage to stop British forces going into Iraq in defiance of the wishes of the majority of Britons.

Your post comes across as smug, complacent and dismissive.
  • Options
    Why wouldn't it make a difference to this country if your vote actually contributed to the election of someone whose views you really supported, rather than a choice between bad and worse? What are the disadvantages of a parliament which more accuarately reflects the views of voters?

However good the few MPs are, there are still party whips - and they didn't manage to stop British forces going into Iraq in defiance of the wishes of the majority of Britons.

yes but a lot of people assume wrongly

if a person gets voted in, then thats the constituencies choice
    MP's are voices for the people, not the voices of the people
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yes but a lot of people assume wrongly

if a person gets voted in, then thats the constituencies choice
    MP's are voices for the people, not the voices of the people

But they're not the choices of those who don't vote, not are they the voices of the constituents who voted against them. If you're going to support electoral democracy, shouldn't you at least try to pretend that theres something in it for the people ?

:confused:

Personally I think PR would be used as a tool to fuck us over as well.......
  • Options
    As I already explained, it would place an extra barrier between parliament and the electorate because people would vote by party and not by MP. So when they need to contact their MP, they would actually be put in touch with a party member. At least with FPTP you can vote out a bad MP.
    How would PR alter that fact?
  • Options
    there is, they choose who they want to represent them

where does it say in your electoral handbook how the representation should manifest itself?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    As I already explained, it would place an extra barrier between parliament and the electorate because people would vote by party and not by MP. So when they need to contact their MP, they would actually be put in touch with a party member. At least with FPTP you can vote out a bad MP.

Which explains why parliament is riddled with complacent self important smug bastards who couldn't give a damn........
    How would PR alter that fact?

More parties, more diversity, more MPs willing to say no.

So, are you supporting this sad shower of shite or not?

We should be told.

:yippe:
  • Options
    oh our wonderful democracy!
    people now get elected not for vision or talent ...but cos they don't slap someone with a wet fish.

i dont mind some of their policies either :)

:shocking: news eh
  • Options
    Which explains why parliament is riddled with complacent self important smug bastards who couldn't give a damn........
    I still don't see how PR would change that.
    More parties, more diversity, more MPs willing to say no.
    Maybe, but which constituency would be lumbered with a BNP representative? Or even a Green? If all of Wales voted Plaid Cymru you might end up with a an English constituency having a Plaid Cymru MP. If people don't feel represented by their MP, they're less likely to vote IMHO.
    So, are you supporting this sad shower of shite or not?

We should be told.

:yippe:
    You should be told?

There is no party whose policies I can fully agree with. Shower of shite maybe, but at least MPs are locally accountable.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    At least with FPTP you can vote out a bad MP.

You miss one crucial point: few vote in terms of local MP. The only exceptions I can think of are in Kidderminster and Totton, and even then only in Kidderminster was the MP elected against the usual party lines.

You also forget how much influence the major parties have at the candidate selection process. I've recommended this 100 times, but read Through the Looking Glass by Liz Davies. The current selection process and a party-list system are almost identical as it is.

Also, the German parliament is a hybrid of constituency-based politics and PR. You vote for a constituency MP, but the dissenting votes are not wasted as they are used to "top-up" the bundestag to represent the popular vote.

I don't know how you can justify a voting system where, in most instances, over 50% of the vote is completely ignored.

And yes, ftp, I would imagine that PR would be used to fuck the electorate over too, but it would give the public more of a say.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You miss one crucial point: few vote in terms of local MP.
    I'm not saying we do, I'm saying we can.
    the dissenting votes are not wasted as they are used to "top-up" the bundestag to represent the popular vote.
    So that means more MPs or larger constituencies.
    I don't know how you can justify a voting system where, in most instances, over 50% of the vote is completely ignored.
    It's not ignored on a local level, this is my point. FPTP is just a scaled down version of PR anyway.

And I can't see turnouts improving in the long term. If 50% of votes are wasted, don't forget the 50% of voters who don't even vote. It's not a truly democratic process when half the electorate is so apathetic that they don't bother to cast a vote. And of those that do, most won't have a clue what they're voting for. At least MPs bring some personality to the occasion.
  • Options
    We're going around in circles.

People don't vote in safe seats because there's no point. Either there vote will make no difference, or their favourite party will get in anyway. The fact that turnout in marginals (where votes do count) is consistently 20% higher proves this.

In many seats, 65% of the votes cast are simply discarded. Even if an MP gets in by one vote, all the dissenters are simply wiped from the slate. It doesn't pay to finish second in a constituency, which is a lesson it has taken the LibDems 25 years to learn. Go and look at the make-up of the 1974 parliament and tell me that is fair and democratic.

Do you believe it is fair and democratic that one party has 65% of the seats with only 35% of the popular vote? Is that how you define democracy?

Give people a meaningful vote and people will vote. It's a proven concept.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And yes, ftp, I would imagine that PR would be used to fuck the electorate over too, but it would give the public more of a say.

yup :yes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yada yada
    Doesn't alter my reservations.

I don't disagree that the current system leaves a lot of people cold. But it's up to an individual to vote. I gave you an example of a very safe seat which has completely turned around in 10 years. I prefer having an MP who lives in the constituency and is tied to it.
  • Options
    It's a sad fact that the political party I actually belong to don't have a candidate in my area, so I have to vote for the 'next best thing'. It is also a sad fact that a lot of people will vote a certain way in order to prevent a party they strongly disagree with getting into power (for example people will vote Labour in my area simply to stop the Tories winning a General Election, even if they feel that Labour no longer represents their values.)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    It's a sad fact that the political party I actually belong to don't have a candidate in my area, so I have to vote for the 'next best thing'. It is also a sad fact that a lot of people will vote a certain way in order to prevent a party they strongly disagree with getting into power (for example people will vote Labour in my area simply to stop the Tories winning a General Election, even if they feel that Labour no longer represents their values.)

who is that?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    who is that?

Green Party.
  • Options
    im joining the official monster raving looney party
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: