Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why I'm not voting rant

mobleymobley Posts: 43 Boards Initiate
Hi Guys

We are currently creating content on the site about the upcoming General Election. We are looking for someone to write a rant (http://www.thesite.org/community/realife/rants) about why they have no intention of voting in the General election. If you are interested, could you please pm/email me a five-line synopsis of what you would write about. Thanks for that.

Cheers

Mobley

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i aint voting ...i voted labour and what did they go and do ...sign up with gwb ...not in my name again!¬
  • Options
    Are you doing one which also rants about why people should vote? Am happy to oblige if you tell me how many words I can use...
  • Options
    i aint voting ...i voted labour and what did they go and do ...sign up with gwb ...not in my name again!¬

Lib dems are worth voting for, their cannabis policy is surprisingly progressive...personal cultivation and "social dealing" not longer prosecutable, under their proposals.

Looks like they've got my vote :thumb: .
  • Options
    Are you doing one which also rants about why people should vote? Am happy to oblige if you tell me how many words I can use...

I would be up for that too.
  • Options
    theSite.org shouldn't promote political apathy, nor should it publicise any article encouraging people not to vote.

Hey ho.
  • Options
    Political apathy and not voting are not the same thing.

How many times does this need to be explained?
  • Options
    I vote because women have put themselves on the front line for me to do so,.
  • Options
    I vote because women have put themselves on the front line for me to do so,.
    :yes: and because im hardly going to not support the last little token gesture towards democracy that we DO have.
  • Options
    If no one voted would the "government" disband? Not likely.

So voting is more about public relations than giving people any meaningful choice, imho.

If you vote, you give them legitimacy, which is all they really seek from you anyway. Your actual opinions are nothing to them unless they interfere with your productivity, and therefore the resources they can nick.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Political apathy and not voting are not the same thing.

How many times does this need to be explained?

They can get confused though, because people who are not voting because they don't agree with whatever are basically part of the same voting group as people who can't be arsed 'cos it wont make a difference anyway'.

I beleive there should be a none of the above :p
  • Options
    Being apathetic of the politics, and being apathetic of the voting system, are not the same.

I don't know if I will vote yet, because it won't make a difference. I live in a strong Labour seat, so my non-labour vote will be drowned out. Even if by some miracle my choice of MP gets in, the other constituencies will drown him out. Even if my choice of MP becomes the Government, there's still the Civil Service.

You don't get over one million people out on the streets in protest if people are "apathetic" of politics. The political system of voting we have is irrelevant to politics these days, and people appreciate this by taking direct action. Pressure groups such as Friends of the Earth have never had so many members, and this is in a time of great political "apathy"?

People don't vote because it makes no difference. People join pressure groups and take direct action because it does make a difference.
  • Options
    my not voting is not apathy.
    my not voting is my political decision.
    i want to vote for labour but ...not while tony fucking bliar is still boss.
    if tony dies before the election i will vote for labour.
    i could never ever ever vote for the tories.
    the libs ...tempting to vote for their sensible and progressive stance on drugs law but ...i cannot vote on one issue ...especialy for a bunch of wimps like the libs.

so ...some of you believe that i should vote nyway ...even though i wouldn't believe in what i was doing?

i will turn up and spoil my paper.
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    Does anyone else feel like to find out what any of the parties really feel about any of the key issues (or even what they consider to be the key issues) you have to go and hunt for it?

I don't really know what Labour ect think about anything, thats quite an embarrassing thing to admit, but to be fair I know I am not alone, infact I'm not even in the minority.
    I know people complain about party political broadcasts and constant campaigning, but to be honest I think this country, and this generation in particular need it, we are too lazy and uninterested to make an effort to find out what politicians think, to get us interested shove it in our faces and make us listen.
    your either interested or you aint.
    no good blaming the government!
    how about blame your parents.
  • Options
    your either interested or you aint.
    no good blaming the government!
    how about blame your parents.
    Harsh but true.

If you don't look for things, you won't find them. Buying a quality newspaper every day, and Private Eye once a fortnight, won't break the bank and it's not exactly a terrible chore.
  • Options
    But what's in it for them?

Those who willingly keep themselves in the dark are far more manageable. A population with an interest in and knowledge of politics is not good for those in power.
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    Does anyone else feel like to find out what any of the parties really feel about any of the key issues (or even what they consider to be the key issues) you have to go and hunt for it?

I don't really know what Labour ect think about anything, thats quite an embarrassing thing to admit, but to be fair I know I am not alone, infact I'm not even in the minority.
    I know people complain about party political broadcasts and constant campaigning, but to be honest I think this country, and this generation in particular need it, we are too lazy and uninterested to make an effort to find out what politicians think, to get us interested shove it in our faces and make us listen.

Party Policies For You M'Lady

Vote Lib Dem :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Harsh but true.

If you don't look for things, you won't find them. Buying a quality newspaper every day, and Private Eye once a fortnight, won't break the bank and it's not exactly a terrible chore.

They all have editors and their own agendas. Surely you know that?
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    I'm not blaming, I'm pointing out that there are many people who aren't captivated by politics in this country and suggesting that those with the power and influence could change it.
    being a parent brings responsibilities.
    like teaching your children why YOU believe the world is the way it is.
    why YOU believe that certain ideas are good or bad.
    why certain people shpuld be shot ...micky howard for example.
    wether it is religion or politics ...all parents should be instilling values in their children.
  • Options
    vote for the multi coloured coat that has escaped my imagination after i lost reality.....
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    To an extent, I hope that I'd give my children room to make up their own minds too though....

...however they may end up as indecisive and confused over the ultimate foreign policy aims of Mussolini as their mother....(sorry my dissertation is getting to me)
    it isn't possible to make your own mind up if you haven't been given anything to make it up with.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    They all have editors and their own agendas. Surely you know that?
    Of course, but generally the bias is less apparent, and the newspapers allow the reader to choose their own opinion more.

Kathryn, in an ideal world politicians will show everything out easily, adn they'll be bias-free, and everything will be wonderful. But it's not like that, and never will be. A politician's role is to get elected, and he will say what he believes will make him get elected. Few politicians have something as outdated as a "conscience", Jeremy Corbyn being just about the only exception.

I don't believe it is a politician's role to tell people what to think, and any politician-led advertising campaign will inevitably do that. Political campaigning is not about what the politician thinks matching your beliefs, but about the politician convincing you that his beliefs are ones you should have.

If you want to know about the parties, you have to do your own research.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't know if I will vote yet, because it won't make a difference.
    With an attitude like that, it certainly won't. The trouble with democracy is that everyone gets to vote without necessarily being qualified or equipped to do so - in other words they vote for a party out of habit or tradition rather than as a result of genuine support for the policies of that party. And we end up with safer than safe seats, and people like you being apathetic towards voting.
    You don't get over one million people out on the streets in protest if people are "apathetic" of politics. The political system of voting we have is irrelevant to politics these days, and people appreciate this by taking direct action. Pressure groups such as Friends of the Earth have never had so many members, and this is in a time of great political "apathy"?
    Democracy is irrelevant and pressure groups are the way forward? You'd prefer politics to be dictated by the media (even more so than it already is)?
    People don't vote because it makes no difference. People join pressure groups and take direct action because it does make a difference.
    1 million people marching through central London didn't stop a war. A million people voting against Blair in the general election could. You do the math.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Of course, but generally the bias is less apparent, and the newspapers allow the reader to choose their own opinion more.

That makes it more dangerously misleading, not less, if you're not aware it's there. At least you know the Conservatives are pro-Conservative, that Labour are pro-Labour, that the Lib Dems are the best thing to happen in British politics this decade. Who would The Independent like to win?
  • Options
    I wish it wasn't true, and some politicians (such as Corbyn, such as Mo Mowlem) were genuinely honest. But they still tried to convince everyone else that their way was best: they mould the electorate, not the other way around.

Kentish, safe seats have nothing to do with "voting tradition" or "apathy". In Sunderland the labour majority is around 10,000- if you're a Tory there you might as well stay at home with a cup of tea. Until there is proportional representation then your vote doesn't count unless you live in one of the 100-or-so "marginal seats".

It's no coincidence that in marginal seats the turnout is still over 70%. In safe seats, such as Sunderland, turnout is very poor, but that's because the votes don't count. In marginals you have a say in the government, and which party wins, so they are important seats and the electorate in them appreciate this.

If I still lived in Shipley, which IS a marginal seat, then I would be voting straight away. I voted in Durham council elections because the other parties had a chance, and the Lib Dems won because everyone went and voted against Labour.

I will vote, like I did in Durham, because you never know. I never expected Labour to lose Durham city council, but they did. But for many people there's no point in voting because you support the wrong party in the wrong area.
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    Regardless of whether that is true or not, because I'd like to hope it's not, it makes me feel sad.
    I do realise you will think me naive and yourself realistic, so you don't need to say it.

oh it's true alright and it sickens me, the old ideologies of your local MP sticking up for the community are seriously out dated...true politics is a fair field of candidates, concerned with issues, who'll represent, who are willing to represent, the community then votes for the person they think is most suited, if that politician fails, he'll get whats coming to him next time round, these days there's so many areas where a certain party just wins, blind voting, seedy campaigns. it's not politics, it's power...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    With an attitude like that, it certainly won't. The trouble with democracy is that everyone gets to vote without necessarily being qualified or equipped to do so - in other words they vote for a party out of habit or tradition rather than as a result of genuine support for the policies of that party. And we end up with safer than safe seats, and people like you being apathetic towards voting.

I agree. Party loyalty is a terrible thing. I know my grandparents will always vote Labour, despite Labour being nothing like the party they were when my Grandad was working down the pits.

Party loyalty results in party whips and politicians voting for the party and not their constituants or conscience. It gets bad legislation through parliament on a dictatorship majority.

If people took more interest in politics en masse we could scrap the party system and actually choose candidates based on their personalities, really get some people into power.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I agree. Party loyalty is a terrible thing. I know my grandparents will always vote Labour, despite Labour being nothing like the party they were when my Grandad was working down the pits.

it is good that the labour party have changed ...are willing to change and will no doubt change again.

the cotton mills and mines are long gone ...so is that jkind of politics ...unless of course you look at the tory party ...where nothing changes and nothing will.
  • Options
    it is good that the labour party have changed ...are willing to change and will no doubt change again.

the cotton mills and mines are long gone ...so is that jkind of politics ...unless of course you look at the tory party ...where nothing changes and nothing will.

I'm not saying it's bad for parties to change. I'm saying people should keep up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Kentish, safe seats have nothing to do with "voting tradition" or "apathy". In Sunderland the labour majority is around 10,000- if you're a Tory there you might as well stay at home with a cup of tea. Until there is proportional representation then your vote doesn't count unless you live in one of the 100-or-so "marginal seats".
    Look-see

I'm forever using Orpington as an example, but it had a Tory majority of 12,000 in 1992 and at the last election that became 269. Astonishing! It is now one of the Lib Dems' main targets.
    that's because the votes don't count. But for many people there's no point in voting because you support the wrong party in the wrong area.
    This is nonsense. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you tell people that their vote doesn't count, of course they will not vote. If you engage the electorate, they will.

Stop it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Being apathetic of the politics, and being apathetic of the voting system, are not the same.

What I mean is that to the politicians, to the statisticians, they are all 'non-voters', there isn't a distinction, which is why I think there should be a 'none of the above' so people who want to get the message through that none of them are worth voting for can do so without being labelled politcally apathetic.