Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well, that's the Mid East peace process gone then...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How does that address the terrorists call for the removal of Israel, or the call of ultra-right Israelis for the right to settle.

Those are the group who will maintain the cycle, not the ordinary Palestinians and Israelis... they are just the victims.
  • Options
    Jacq and her family/friends included.
  • Options
    Sorry, where is this existential threat?

The PLO went for 2 states. The recent elections confirmed that the majority of Palestinians support that. Hamas looks set to move into electoral politics in the next election, and have a reasonable chance of beating the PA as things stand.

The extremists can be defeated by restoring dignity to the people of Palestine, by giving them a stake in their own society.

They can also be maintained by failing to do that.

As for the zionist extremists, well, Gaza shows us that settlements are not forever. Israel is apparently willing to press ahead with disengagement despite the threats of terror from them.....
  • Options
    Doesn't mean that none of them have a bias...
    Of course it doesn't. I was just pointing out that your criticism of my statement about reputable news sources was a strawman argument. And you insist on building your strawman taller and taller...

A terrorist:

Any action intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to civilians, non-combatants when the purpose of such act, by its nature or context, is to intimidate a population or compel a government or an international organization to do or to abstain from doing any act.

Source

Attacking civilians on buses and in queues is terrorism, not a struggle for liberation, or 'resistance". Don't try and sugarcoat it.
  • Options
    They've all denied it where they would not normally have. They want peace to

Well they've admitted it now. So much for the usual Palestinian terrorists not being responsible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4301249.stm

They want peace?

Maybe when the Palestinian terrorists love their children more than they hate Jews peace will come, to paraphrase Golda Meir.
  • Options
    But if Israel halts its part of the peace process then the terrorists win because in the end they are parts in these groups which don’t want peace and will carry on with these attacks.

From the article
    But Islamic Jihad leaders in Gaza still deny any involvement, suggesting a split between factions, says the BBC's Barbara Plett in Jerusalem.

This is like what happened in Ireland there is going to be factions and groups which are unwilling to compromise or reach agreement so these people will be trying to undermine the peace process.

Seven held over Tel Aviv bombing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4299995.stm

From the report
    Palestinian police separately arrested two people over the blast, which killed four people and injured about 30.

Also
    The Palestinian Authority will not stand silent in the face of this act of sabotage," Mr. Abbes said in a statement after meeting security chiefs

The PLO is willing to deal and reach a compromise now and have helped in arresting suspects. Israel has to keep to its side of the bargain
  • Options
    Maybe when the Palestinian terrorists love their children more than they hate Jews peace will come, to paraphrase Golda Meir.

even though you didn't say it but the fact that you take this statement seriously worries me, have you got any idea of what these people's motives are? they hate their children, is that it :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    They want peace?

i believe that the powers to be in the Palestinian world want peace, of course not everyone is going to change overnight, the RIRA murdered 29 people in omagh, does that mean sinn fein should autmoatically have got the blame? nope of course not, give them a chance will ya!
  • Options
    Gloda Meier, oh yeah a real champion of peace and conciliation to cite, Dis.

Lets look at some other reknown quotes of hers to see the true nature of the zionist ideologue...
    "There is no such thing as a Palestinian people... It is not as if we came and threw them out and took their country. They didn't exist."
    -- Golda Meir, statement to The Sunday Times, 15 June, 1969.

"How can we return the occupied territories? There is nobody to return them to."
    -- Golda Meir, March 8, 1969.

I hope one day you are as dehumanised and brutalised as the Palestinians have been for more than a half century by this apartheid abomination of a state and we'll then see who you consider the true victims to be.
  • Options

Of course, Palestinians aren't like other human beings are they? :rolleyes:

Strangely enough it was Golda Meir who denied that the Palestinians even existed. She seems to have been proven wrong on that one.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    allowing them to blow their own children up is disgusting. why dont the the old farts do it them selves?

:confused: i think you got the wrong end of the stick again
  • Options
    I hope one day you are as dehumanised and brutalised as the Palestinians have been for more than a half century by this apartheid abomination of a state and we'll then see who you consider the true victims to be.

I don't wish that on anyone. Its time for the dehumanisation and hatred to end.
  • Options
    Perhaps FTP but it seems ideological zionists who fail to see the similitude of applied "principle" between the fascism under which European Jews suffered as well as that under which South Africa's blacks suffered and the longrunning perpetration of precisely the same degredation, brutality, disenfranchisement and dehumanisation perpetrated from the very commencement of Zionist migration into "Palestine" (already repeatedly demonstrated as an acknowledged reference pre 1947 even under British and Ottoman control) throughout the 1920's (see: Stern Gang, Hagganah, Irgun) deserve to learn by experience what its like to be on the receiving end.

The Zionist legacy of atrocities began well before the world was shocked into handing over legally owned Palestinian land to European zionists to assuage the collective sense of guilt over the holocaust. Until that legacy is acknowledged by the state of Israel itself and atoned for, all talk of peace initiatives (and ive watched enough repeated rounds of such "peace intiatives" over decades to see the same charade for what it is) will come to nought.

Peace only comes through acknowledgement of guilt by those who began the violence in the first place, there is no other legitimate or lasting route to atonement and conciliation.
  • Options
  • Options
    LOL. of course it does marv. I expect the finger pointing headlines to run thick and fast and to villify all sort of outside targets of interest to the furtherance of Zionist greater Israel objectives. What you wont see, I would wager, are too many (if any) headlines reading

1. "Israel uncovers Mossad attempts to arouse citizens anger and paranoia to maintain Israeli dominant status quo and give outward cause for UNSC approvals for further military action against Syria (or the Palestinians, etc.)",

2. "Hardline Right-wing Settler group found to be behind Tel Aviv bombing".

Such headlines wouldnt advance what is transparently the ongoing re-design by both Israel and the US of the Middle East.
  • Options
    Peace only comes through acknowledgement of guilt by those who began the violence in the first place, there is no other legitimate or lasting route to atonement and conciliation.

Not really the case in South Africa though, was it?

When a political system becomes financially unviable, then its adherents are capable of rapid transformation.

USAID has much to answer for in this scenario.
  • Options
    No FTP, you are right, it didnt transpire like that in South Africa since there never was any conciliation reached. Merely the inevitable overthrow of an oppressive regime by the majority it oppressed (helped of course by sanctions upheld by most countries even if my own was criminally complicit behind the scenes).

My point is that for Israel to continue as a viable, modern and truly democratic state entity (i.e. embracing true pluralism rather than clininging to notions of exclusivistic pre-eminence only for Jews) then it will have to first acknowledge its own ongoing terrorism of the once formerly peaceful inhabitants of that land prior to the land clearances, ethnocides and forced expulsions which killed and brutalised thousands and drove upwards of 800,000 from their homes and villages (which were summarily bulldozed and built over to create the myth of a "land without a people for a people without a land").

I have no wish to see Israel "driven into the sea", but understand that without the conciliation that comes from true atonement and contrition, this conflict will continue to perpetuate itself to further the power of an ideology that should have died out at the end of the 1800's.
  • Options
    Clandestine

Judging by this thread, western opinion is a large part of the problem. At least people didn't (couldn't) bend over backwards to justify Apartheid, at the end. The disinformation, smear tactics and unbending belief in the right to perpertrate misery on a people beggars belief.

And the irony of the 2 key planks of defence - accusations of hatred and racism....

Still, the ideological underpinnings are coming apart - I believe it can't be sustained much longer.

And then you come along and depress me with your "I've seen it so many times before"

:impissed:
  • Options
    Sorry to depress you but this IS just another rotation of the same cycle that ive seen in the 70's, 80's and 90's (and I'm speaking of the totality of US/Israeli-led machinations once again being played out across the ME).

That so many prefer to think each rotation is somehow any different from its predecessor is simply demonstration of the PR-driven nature of mainstream decontextualised, sanitised spin which passes for accurate reporting.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    turlough wrote:
    even though you didn't say it but the fact that you take this statement seriously worries me, have you got any idea of what these people's motives are? they hate their children, is that it :confused: :rolleyes:

You've missed the point. No surprise there. :rolleyes:

I haven’t said that Palestinian terrorists and those that support Palestinian terrorism hate their children. My point is however that for somebody to support or carry out a terrorist attack against Israelis there must be a deep feeling of hatred. In many case a fanatical, obsessive hatred. The terrorist organisations, their supporters and those they recruit act on those feelings and carry out atrocities as they did last night.

Do their actions help the Palestinian cause? Do they make the region a better place for their children to grow up in? Do they make a better future for their children? The answer to all of these questions is no. And it’s as a result of the terrorism that Israel regrettably has to defend itself – and it’s a sad and unfortunate effect of Israel’s acts of self defence that innocent Palestinians suffer.

To paraphrase the late, great Golda Meir again:
    "We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours." (to Anwar Saddat prior to the peace talks).
  • Options

I haven’t said that Palestinian terrorists and those that support Palestinian terrorism hate their children. My point is however that for somebody to support or carry out a terrorist attack against Israelis there must be a deep feeling of hatred. In many case a fanatical, obsessive hatred. The terrorist organisations, their supporters and those they recruit act on those feelings and carry out atrocities as they did last night.

Do their actions help the Palestinian cause? Do they make the region a better place for their children to grow up in? Do they make a better future for their children? The answer to all of these questions is no. And it’s as a result of the terrorism that Israel regrettably has to defend itself – and it’s a sad and unfortunate effect of Israel’s acts of self defence that innocent Palestinians suffer.

"We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours." (to Anwar Saddat prior to the peace talks).

Jesus Christ...so it's all the Palestinians fault, is it? you're the one missing the point, why does palestine have to change to suit israels needs, why can't a compromise be met, "making us kill yours" Holy Fuck i can't get over that, i od't have a clue who Golda Meir is but i'm sure he/she whatever it is is a fucking top class prick.
  • Options

Wasn't Sadat Egyptian? :confused:

I refer back to the Jerusalem Institute for Strategic Studies article - where this point was made by Israeli intelligence bods about the handling of the start of the Intifada.:
    "The levers of pressure that were applied to the Palestinian population and to the security apparatus, most of whose members did not take part at the beginning of the conflict, gave rise to negative results. A sense of anger and vengeance led to the tightening of the cooperation among the terror groups and between them and elements of the Palestinian security services that joined the conflict as a result of the IDF's damages to them. As a result of this the phenomenon of suicide attacks swelled to unprecedented dimensions, spilling over into the nonreligious organizations."

That flies in the face of the idea Israel being forced to kill civilians against its will. As does the fact that the army dropped automatic investigations of Palestinian civilian deaths.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

No one says they hate their children. Not at all.
    But I find it worrying that some prominent Palestinian figures advocate using the children as weapons, as for example Arafat did when he refered to the Palestinian woman's womb as the greatest weapon against Israel. Or when the wife of a high-ranking Hamas or Hizbollah leader (can't remember) on a tv-show broadcasted all over the world mentions that she hasn't fulfilled all of her obligations as none of her sons are shahids.
  • Options

Why so personal and hateful?
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Why so personal and hateful?

As opposed to disillusioned's 'caring and sharing' sentiments you mean?
  • Options
    As opposed to disillusioned's 'caring and sharing' sentiments you mean?

Obviously Clandestine's remarks were harsh enough for you to respond like this
    I don't wish that on anyone. Its time for the dehumanisation and hatred to end.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Obviously Clandestine's remarks were harsh enough for you to respond like this

Yes. And you made no response to disillusioneds disquieting diatribe.

Right?

Clandestines comments were a direct reaction....
  • Options
    Yes. And you made no response to disillusioneds disquieting diatribe.

Right?

Clandestines comments were a direct reaction....

That it his general opinion aimed at terrorist Palestinians, not personally at anyone on this board.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    That it his general opinion aimed at terrorist Palestinians, not personally at anyone on this board.

lol
  • Options
    Of course it is hon.

But then again, what doe sone expect from a person who criticises someone's debating style when they ask a question that you don't want to answer.

70 deaths or four. Which is worse. It's a simple enough question.