Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well, that's the Mid East peace process gone then...

So the Israelis and Palestinians form a truce (after the so-called "obstacle" to the peace process, Yasser Arafat, has been removed), and the Palestinians comply with a number of security demands made by the Israelis. So what's next then, after the all-important security issues have been addressed? It's time to start talking and resolving the real issues of this conflict- mainly the illegal occupation of Palestinian land by Israel, the illegal settlements and the return to 1967 borders. So what does Israel do?

Israel to build more than 6,000 illegal new homes in the West Bank
Israel plans to build more than 6,000 new homes in settlements in the West Bank, an Israeli newspaper quoting the state land authority has reported.

Yediot Ahronot says the government will also legitimise 120 unauthorised settlement outposts.

What a bunch of so and so*

* Previous expletives removed in view that the story has changed and the Israeli government now denies the report is true...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    What the hell are we going to do about the Middle East?
  • Options
    Stop press.

I see that in hte last few moments the news piece has changed and now it reads "Israel denies homes plan report".

I hope this is true.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Stop press.

I see that in hte last few moments the news piece has changed and now it reads "Israel denies homes plan report".

I hope this is true.

I noticed that. I think even Israel know at the moment that it's pushing it a bit far to build 6,000 new homes....
  • Options
    They've denied it?

It's definitely true then.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Not our problem is it?

Just our fault. :(
  • Options
    Breaking news - suicide bombing outside the Stage night club in Tel Aviv - several believed dead - reports of 30 injured

Haaretz
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    BBC News - Bomb

Rumour is suicide bomber again, several dead. Source: BBC News 10pm.
  • Options
    Clubbers again.

R.I.P & sympathy to all the young victims of 'adult' stupidity.
  • Options
    Haaretz is reporting that Islamic Jihad has claimed responsibility.

According to the Scotsman
    But militants in the Al Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades, a violent group with ties to Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah movement, said the Lebanese guerrilla group Hezbollah was involved in the attack.

whilst radio4 is saying there is no credible claim of responsibility.

Death toll now at 3 - injured at 38.
  • Options
    jesus christ, what value can you have for other peoples life when you dont even value your own.

What scum.
  • Options
    Looks like the Palestinian militants are once again responsible for destroying a chance for peace.
  • Options
    Looks like the Palestinian militants are once again responsible for destroying a chance for peace.

Well thats what it looks like because Palestinian deaths haven't been receiving a lot of attention, whereas once again a suicide bombing gets top billing in the news.
    But instead, the Israeli army has killed 70 Palestinian civilians since the Palestinian elections on January 9th. They have injured at least 102 Palestinians, according to the Red Crescent Society.

Source

But hey don't let the real world get in the way of your prejudice....
  • Options
    But hey don't let the real world get in the way of your prejudice....
    I don't see how killing innocent civilians on either side is a step towards peace.

No-one forced the suicide bomber to murder clubbers.

One murdered civilian is one murdered civilian too many, Palestinian or Israeli.

I think its time arch-apologists faced up to the prejudices they hold, the double standards they apply to human life. Civilians in a nightclub queue, fair game for the so-called "resistance", civilians leading children to safety, heroic shahids, victims of oppression.

But you know who the bad guys are, who have only themselves to blame.

I don't think you have ever let the real world get in the way of your prejudice.

:wave:
  • Options
    Thought we'd discussed the use of that log-in, dipshit.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    BBC News - Bomb

Rumour is suicide bomber again, several dead. Source: BBC News 10pm.

And Aladdin was calling out for Israeli apologist in this thread. Unfortunately these actions speak way louder than anybodys words ever could.
    Madge Noon has the right idea though. Welcome to the boards.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    And Aladdin was calling out for Israeli apologist in this thread. Unfortunately these actions speak way louder than anybodys words ever could.

70 deaths and 102 injuries vs 4 deaths and 50 injuries.

Am I missing something here, why is the latter figure so shocking, whilst the former figure appears to pass without comment?

Is it merely that the latter are prominently reported, whilst the former have been ignored ?

Is it really okay for Israelis to kill Palestinians, but when Palestinians kill Israelis after that, they are jeapordizing the peace process?

Anyone would think that the news was being stage managed........ especially with the Hezbollah connextion being brought into the picture within a very short while ....

Palestinian statements on the attack include:

Dr. Nafez Azzam, Islamic Jihad spokesperson and political head:
    “The Islamic Jihad is not responsible about the explosion in Tel-Aviv. The Islamic Jihad is committed to calm in accordance with the understandings we have reached with President Mahmoud Abbas. The Islamic Jihad has no knowledge of the attack in Tel Aviv ”.

Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade spokesperson Abu Qussai:
    “The Al-Aqssa Martyrs Brigades affirm its full commitment to the ceasefire agreement which came to light in accordance with the acceptance of all the Palestinian factions and the Palestinian Authority” He added “We have made the necessary contacts with the main Brigades leaders in all areas and they confirmed to us that their groups have no connection to the blast. The phone call that claimed responsibility in our name came from unknown person. We are aware that such attacks at this time harm the Palestinian national interests and put us in a difficult position”

Sami Abu Zohri, Hamas spokesperson:
    “We have been observing the period of quiet as we told Mr. Abu Mazen at our last meeting in Gaza. The responsibility for this explosion lies with the Israelis because even as we observe the calm, the Israeli aggression and crimes continue"

Nabil Abu Rudeina - PA spokesperson:
    “We are against all acts that harm civilians, Israelis or Palestinians. This is part of our agreement with Israel at Sharm El-Shaikh,"

Saeeb Erekat - Palestinian negotiator:
    “We appeal to the international community to act immediately to ensure that Israel will not use the explosion in Tel-Aviv as an excuse to resume its military aggression against the Palestinian people"

The Minister of Palestinian civil affairs, Mohammed Dahlan suggested that an informal Palestinian group or even Israeli fanatics might stand behind the blast in Tel-Aviv.

So, the question is this - whose actions speak louder than words? Who is responsible? Hezbollah, Islamic Kihad, Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, all have been blamed or said to claim responsibility - Islamic Jihad and the Al-Aqsa Brigade have denied. Is it the work of a renegade cell, a few pissed of individuals, is it black ops..... I have no idea.

And to make things even more confusing, the Jerusalem Post tells us:
    n Beirut, however, a Hizbullah spokesman denied involvement.

Abbas has vowed to hunt down those responsible, we shall see what happens.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Madge Noon has the right idea though. Welcome to the boards.

I've just worked out that until recently you were Jacqueline the Ripper. I don't like "Madge Noon" following me around, with some dodgy agenda, I find it alarming and distressing. I believe that it amounts, in law, to harrassment, and that it is intended to do so.

But, maybe using a different handle would solve the problem.

So, perhaps you would be kind enough to let the mods know that you have no objection to me using the JtR handle that is closely associated with you.

You would of course still have two advantages over my current predicament - namely that

1) You would know who was using the handle closely linked to you
    2) I wouldn't be following you about the boards.

After all, despite our political differences, I would defend you to the hilt if I believed that someone had followed you onto these boards with an agenda designed to cause you personal harrassment, alarm and distress.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Just as we think things are getting better 4 innocent Israeli civilians are pointlessly murdered outside a club. Just normal people out having a good time killed because of a terrorist’s fanatical agenda. Sad. Abbas’s words are welcome, I hope he and the PA stick to their word but in the mean time Israel can’t just ignore this.

Oh and what are you on about now ftp? What's JtR supposed to have done?
  • Options
    Madge Noon: fuck off, plskthnx.
  • Options
    I shall obviously have to repeat ftp's point for those (disillusioned, jacq, matadore) who are slow of understanding.

Four deaths are disgusting, but 70 deaths don't matter.

Israel kills EIGHTEEN TIMES the number of people that one bomber does (origin unknown, the Palestinians have said they haven't done it, and they're not normally backward at admitting responsibility) and yet it's Palestine that is "de4stroying" the peace process.

I'm obviously missing something very important here. Maybe the Israeli apologists can explain to me why ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THREE palestinian lives don't count.
  • Options
    in the mean time Israel can’t just ignore this

Do you expect Palestinian militants to ignore shootings of Palestinian civilians?

Do you think that it is time for Israel to strike back and bring the fragile truce to a close?

Are you happy for the (admittedly extremely slim) window of opportunity for peace to be closed?

It seems that all the main factions have denied involvement - and that no-one knows who bears responsibility. The PA have condemned it. and vowed to find those responsible.

According to recent reports the PA has sealed 12 tunnels in Rafah, so there is a case for suggesting that the PA might be more able to gather the intelligence needed to arrest those responsible.

It is time for ALL the killing to stop, and for a just settlement which restores human rights and dignity to the people of occupied Palestine.

Allowing extremists from either side (inc settlers threatening to attack the Al-Aqsa mosque) to destroy any hope of peace, justice and dignity for all in the forseeable future would be a travesty.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Palestinians have shown yesterday they don't want to compromise with a peace process. therefore Israel has a right to defend its self.
    Palestine uses suicide bombers to kill, therefore Israel should be allowed to sue what they want to defend them selves, simple as!

Sorry lukesh, I didn't realise that you knew who was responsible for the attack.

You also, erm, forget to mention it. Could you fill us in now please?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Palestinian suicide bombers!

So, every single Palestinian is responsible for this action?

Is every single Israeli to be held responsible for the 70 Palestinian deaths too?

Are you personally responsible for the torture of Iraqis by British soldiers?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Palestinian suicide bombers!
    Lukesh is, in fact, a key member of MI6 it seems.

he certainly has access to information the rest of us don't.

Source, dipshit.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Don't be stupid. However palestine hasn't be able to keep to the peace process.... the government should take drastic action, hunt down the terrorists and destroy them before they destroy peace for ever!

So you support bloodshed over peace.

Thankyou for your fascinating insights caller.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    If palestine was interested in peace don't you think they would of STOPPED these suicde bombings.... than Israel has no right to attack.
    But Israel have attacked: one hundred and seventy three lives lost of destroyed since the elections.

If Israel had any design on peace then those one hundred and seventy three lives would still be in tact.

But I forget: Palestinian lives don't count, do they luke, do they jacq, do they dis? Four Israeli deaths are despicable, but eighteen times that number of Palestinian deaths doesn't matter.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    I support peace only, but terrorists need to be removed so that peace can be implemented. As with what happened yesterday shows, peace can't be achieved until terrorists are removed from the equation.
    So lets kill every Israeli then. After all, the IDF show that they're terrorists.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    I support peace only, but terrorists need to be removed so that peace can be implemented. As with what happened yesterday shows, peace can't be achieved until terrorists are removed from the equation.

I'm not surprised that you believe an occupied people can be broken by the use of brute force, terror and war crimes. Sharon believed that too, but if we are to believe that he is genuine in his statements at the Sharm-el-Sheikh conference, then it would appear he has conceded that it doesn't work.

The Israeli military intelligence bods involved in compiling a recent report for the Jerusalem Institute for Israel Studies concluded that the adopting of the approach you suggest at the start of the second Intifada escalated the conflict and created more militants:
    "The levers of pressure that were applied to the Palestinian population and to the security apparatus, most of whose members did not take part at the beginning of the conflict, gave rise to negative results. A sense of anger and vengeance led to the tightening of the cooperation among the terror groups and between them and elements of the Palestinian security services that joined the conflict as a result of the IDF's damages to them. As a result of this the phenomenon of suicide attacks swelled to unprecedented dimensions, spilling over into the nonreligious organizations."

And you thank its time to go there again.

I notice that you are studiously avoiding the deaths of Palestinians. Is it because you are a racist?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Yeah I'm racist... don't you remember? :lol:

Well, at leat you admit it.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    If you say so.

Do you have an opinion on the 70 deaths?

Are you going to share it with us?

Or should I conclude that I am wasting my time even bothering to discuss anything with an immature, intolerant, unthinking, bloodthirsty racist.

Cos thats exactly how its coming across.