Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well, that's the Mid East peace process gone then...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just our fault. :(

Depends how you think of 'our'.........
  • Options
    70 deaths and 102 injuries vs 4 deaths and 50 injuries.

Am I missing something here, why is the latter figure so shocking, whilst the former figure appears to pass without comment?

Is it merely that the latter are prominently reported, whilst the former have been ignored ?

Is it really okay for Israelis to kill Palestinians, but when Palestinians kill Israelis after that, they are jeapordizing the peace process?

Anyone would think that the news was being stage managed........ especially with the Hezbollah connextion being brought into the picture within a very short while ....

Palestinian statements on the attack include:

Dr. Nafez Azzam, Islamic Jihad spokesperson and political head:

Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade spokesperson Abu Qussai:

Sami Abu Zohri, Hamas spokesperson:

Nabil Abu Rudeina - PA spokesperson:

Saeeb Erekat - Palestinian negotiator:

The Minister of Palestinian civil affairs, Mohammed Dahlan suggested that an informal Palestinian group or even Israeli fanatics might stand behind the blast in Tel-Aviv.

So, the question is this - whose actions speak louder than words? Who is responsible? Hezbollah, Islamic Kihad, Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, all have been blamed or said to claim responsibility - Islamic Jihad and the Al-Aqsa Brigade have denied. Is it the work of a renegade cell, a few pissed of individuals, is it black ops..... I have no idea.

And to make things even more confusing, the Jerusalem Post tells us:

Abbas has vowed to hunt down those responsible, we shall see what happens.

In the end I referred to Madge Noon's post.

This one just naturally hits closer to home, being that
    a - I had just got in from a night out, where the biggest worry was getting hold of a taxi and not falling in my new heels
    b - I have a cousin who spends her weekends in Tel-Aviv
  • Options
    I've just worked out that until recently you were Jacqueline the Ripper. I don't like "Madge Noon" following me around, with some dodgy agenda, I find it alarming and distressing. I believe that it amounts, in law, to harrassment, and that it is intended to do so.

But, maybe using a different handle would solve the problem.

So, perhaps you would be kind enough to let the mods know that you have no objection to me using the JtR handle that is closely associated with you.

You would of course still have two advantages over my current predicament - namely that

1) You would know who was using the handle closely linked to you
    2) I wouldn't be following you about the boards.

After all, despite our political differences, I would defend you to the hilt if I believed that someone had followed you onto these boards with an agenda designed to cause you personal harrassment, alarm and distress.

Cheers.

Believe it or not, me agreeing with Madge Nóon has nothing to do with our differences. I don't abide by my "enemies" enemy is my friend.
    I just sincerely thought that her post was what everyone should remember.

Yes, I do understand where you are coming from, but so far I haven't seen her doing any of the above mentioned things, and you therefore can't presume I will boycott every new user you have a dislike towards just cause you say it. After all, I didn't offer her my lifelong friendship but merely welcomed her opinions to the board.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Haaretz has updated the article:
    Defense sources told Haaretz that the bomber, Abdullah Badran, a resident of the West Bank town of Deir al Ghusun, had connections to Fatah and Islamic Jihad agents in the Tul Karm region as well as with Hezbollah. Palestinian security officials issued a similar assessment.
    The Palestinian Authority's interior minister, Nasser Yousef, told reporters that PA security services had arrested two Palestinians in connection with the attack. No further details were given.
  • Options
    Btw Kermit, I seriously don't appericiate your hostile tone in these discussions. You give me no reason to want to debate your points when you dish them out as you do.
    The posters I disagree with the most, show me more respect than that.
  • Options

The Minister of Palestinian civil affairs, Mohammed Dahlan suggested that an informal Palestinian group or even Israeli fanatics might stand behind the blast in Tel-Aviv.

Israeli fanatics? Yeah they are the obvious suspects. :rolleyes:
    So, the question is this - whose actions speak louder than words? Who is responsible? Hezbollah, Islamic Kihad, Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, all have been blamed or said to claim responsibility - Islamic Jihad and the Al-Aqsa Brigade have denied. Is it the work of a renegade cell, a few pissed of individuals, is it black ops..... I have no idea.

Does it really matter who did it? It was a palestinian terrorist, of one of the above groups.
  • Options
    I've just worked out that until recently you were Jacqueline the Ripper. I don't like "Madge Noon" following me around, with some dodgy agenda, I find it alarming and distressing. I believe that it amounts, in law, to harrassment, and that it is intended to do so.

But, maybe using a different handle would solve the problem.

So, perhaps you would be kind enough to let the mods know that you have no objection to me using the JtR handle that is closely associated with you.

You would of course still have two advantages over my current predicament - namely that

1) You would know who was using the handle closely linked to you
    2) I wouldn't be following you about the boards.

After all, despite our political differences, I would defend you to the hilt if I believed that someone had followed you onto these boards with an agenda designed to cause you personal harrassment, alarm and distress.

Cheers.

Ah dont be such a big girl!

Its just the internet you big pansy. :D
  • Options
    Ah dont be such a big girl!

Its just the internet you big pansy. :D

Top marks for sexism anyway.
  • Options
    Top marks for sexism anyway.

:thumb: ;)
  • Options
    Israeli fanatics? Yeah they are the obvious suspects. :rolleyes:

Not the obvious suspects - analyze the Palestinians. There are desperate for peace, and this has happened and they don't know who did it. They're looking at every possibility - that includes that some Israeli who wants a full-blown conflict which results in Palestine being wiped off the map actually attacked his own people to do this.

[/quote]
    Does it really matter who did it? It was a palestinian terrorist, of one of the above groups.[/QUOTE]

They've all denied it where they would not normally have. They want peace to - they are fighting a war with Israel they know they cannot win. If Israel chooses to they could easily occupy all of Palestine by tonight. These people are just desperate - they have had their families etc killed and have nothing left to live for except revenge. We should thank our blessings that the new Palestinian leadership is able, to an extent, to control them.
  • Options
    I’d be very surprised if this latest attack was not the work of a Palestinian. The vast majority of these murderous attacks have been carried out by Palestinian terrorists. I don't see anything that makes this attack hugely different. And I don't think the word of Palestinian terrorist groups is particularly reliable. It's perfectly plausible that this was just the actions of an individual Palestinian and not connected to a group.

Oh and I think it's VERY unlikely that an Israeli did this TheShyBoyInTheCorner.
  • Options
    . If Israel chooses to they could easily occupy all of Palestine by tonight.

Well, whilst its true that more forces could be put in, Israel has been occupying all of Palestine since 1967!!!

And, for the vast majority of Palestinians it is a desire for justice that keeps them going .... the militants have been pushed, by a widespread public desire for peace, to bring about a cessation of violence.

It appears that, for now, the Israeli military will restrain itself from committing a revenge attack, and that the PA have acted promptly to arrest responsible persons.

The question for many Palestinians now is whether they have a partner for peace - something that will be judged by what Israel does on the ground, both in Gaza and the West Bank.

I think Mustafa Barghouti sums it up very eloquently:
    Israel today faces no existential threat, and it has no easily-demonizable counterpart at the Muqata. Sharon’s government is out of excuses. It is now faced with the simple question of whether or not it is willing to be a good neighbor in the Middle East, of whether it prefers other people’s property over peace and security.

For the sake of both the Palestinian and Israeli peoples, it is imperative that the international community not allow this precious window of opportunity to go to waste. The best way to escape from the dead-end of another mendacious interim deal destined to lead to another devastating crisis is an international peace conference resulting in a resolution based on international law.

In considering this proposal, it is important to remember that the Palestinian people are not bargaining for concessions or spoils, but rather for the minimum of justice that has been denied to them during 57 cataclysmic years of war, dispossession and occupation. We are only asking to live in peace and freedom on 23% of historic Palestine.

At the end of the day, there must be security for everyone, Palestinian and Israeli - and hopefully there will be a push for that from the Palestinian people, the Israeli people and the rest of the world.

Allowing extremists to derail the peace process would be a vote against peace.

So would clinging onto the West Bank settlements.
  • Options
    Your legal threats make me laugh. A non-offensive username harassment? Get real, my comments are there for all to see. It is clear the mods do not agree with you. Choose Jacqueline the Ripper if you want, I couldn't care less ftp. I want to move on from this subject. PM me if you want to continue this.

btw it is such an ultra-left poseur cliche to start smearing people as "racist" who don't agree with them. it is an extremely cynical attack, used to stifle debate. Just so people are clear I am not racist, even though I disagree with people.
    Anyone would think that the news was being stage managed...
    Conspiracy theory innuendo? You might as well start repeating Mohammed Dahlans analysis that it might be Israeli fanatics... :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate, its not ok for anyone to kill civilians, be they Israeli or Palestinian. It is sickening though that it is a numbers game to some people. One civilian murdered is one civilian too many. Comparing casualty figures to apologise for terror is disgusting.
    70 deaths and 102 injuries vs 4 deaths and 50 injuries.
    My question would be to people who use this argument is this: Why the comparison of casualty figures?

You either think that murdering civilians is an unjustifiable crime, or you don't.

PS "sources" like IMEMC, any PNA website, ISM, zmag, counterpunch and any blog are NOT reputable or creditable sources. Using mainstream, reputable news organisations is surely not too much of a stretch.
  • Options
    Well, whilst its true that more forces could be put in, Israel has been occupying all of Palestine since 1967!!!

If we are being impartial here, how about you remind everyone what prompted that occupation in 1967? Given that much of the land was formally part of Jordan - and you don't seem to mind that they were occupying that land originally...
  • Options
    Madge Noon wrote:
    Your legal threats make me laugh. A non-offensive username harassment? Get real, my comments are there for all to see. It is clear the mods do not agree with you. Choose Jacqueline the Ripper if you want, I couldn't care less ftp. I want to move on from this subject. PM me if you want to continue this.

btw it is such an ultra-left poseur cliche to start smearing people as "racist" who don't agree with them. it is an extremely cynical attack, used to stifle debate. Just so people are clear I am not racist, even though I disagree with people.

Conspiracy theory innuendo? You might as well start repeating Mohammed Dahlans analysis that it might be Israeli fanatics... :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate, its not ok for anyone to kill civilians, be they Israeli or Palestinian. It is sickening though that it is a numbers game to some people. One civilian murdered is one civilian too many. Comparing casualty figures to apologise for terror is disgusting.

My question would be to people who use this argument is this: Why the comparison of casualty figures?

You either think that murdering civilians is an unjustifiable crime, or you don't..
    Yeah! What he/she said! :thumb:
    Madge Noon wrote:
    PS "sources" like IMEMC, any PNA website, ISM, zmag, counterpunch and any blog are NOT reputable or creditable sources. Using mainstream, reputable news organisations is surely not too much of a stretch.

Aaaah but you see they'll claim that mainstream media is under the thumb of the Jewish overlord making them terribly anti palestinian.

Anyone read that article about the anti-Israel bias at the BBC? Theyve commissioned something like 25 documentaries on the Middle East conflict in the past decade and something like 23 were presented as pro-palestinian.

Not that I care or think this is a bad thing, the BBC obviously have a point and there are injustices being committed. But it just goes to show that the media really aren't pro Israel in many cases.
  • Options
    If we are being impartial here, how about you remind everyone what prompted that occupation in 1967? Given that much of the land was formally part of Jordan - and you don't seem to mind that they were occupying that land originally...

Yes. What exactly happened to cause them to occupy the land? The Arab agressors attacked in order to try and wipe Israel from the map.

Doesn't make their occupation right, but it isn't as one sided as you say.
  • Options

Sorry, but where exactly have I ever said that I didn't mind that Jordan was occupying Palestine?

Cos I don't recall ever having thought about it.

Why don't you remind us what prompted it. Cos I'm pretty certain that you and I don't have the same ideas about that.

:)
  • Options
    Sorry, but where exactly have I ever said that I didn't mind that Jordan was occupying Palestine?

Sorry, as there had been no condemnation of the fact that there hasn't been a free-Palestine - ever - meant that I assumed something. Epescially as you only condemned Israel for their occupation and made no mention of the fact that this land didn't belong to a Palestine state in 1967 anyway...
    Cos I don't recall ever having thought about it.

That figures. Easier just to abuse Israel, isn't it?
    Why don't you remind us what prompted it. Cos I'm pretty certain that you and I don't have the same ideas about that.

Me neither ;)

What I see as an act of agression by a neighbouring Arab nation (or rather by more than one neighbour), you would probably see as defensive.

So, why don't you explain what happened, seeing as you are condemning Israel for their occupation...
  • Options
    Madge Noon wrote:

Because we all know how impartial they are :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Because we all know how impartial they are :rolleyes:

More impartial than crazy loons posting on the web though!
  • Options
    Clearly you have never seen CNN/NBC/Fox/Sky...
  • Options
    Point taken...

NBC/FOX are CRAP. But CNN and Sky aren't that bad. Not good, but not that bad either.

But there are other reliable sections of the mainstream media.
  • Options
    But CNN and Sky aren't that bad.

:lol:

Damn, I nearly fell off my chair.
    But there are other reliable sections of the mainstream media.

Very few, and I include the BBC in that...
  • Options
    Sorry, as there had been no condemnation of the fact that there hasn't been a free-Palestine - ever - meant that I assumed something. Epescially as you only condemned Israel for their occupation and made no mention of the fact that this land didn't belong to a Palestine state in 1967 anyway...

That figures. Easier just to abuse Israel, isn't it?

Me neither ;)

What I see as an act of agression by a neighbouring Arab nation (or rather by more than one neighbour), you would probably see as defensive.

So, why don't you explain what happened, seeing as you are condemning Israel for their occupation...

Oh my, is Jordan still occupying Palestine? No. 1967 was a whole 37 years ago - but if I do think about I would say they had no right to annexe Palestine, a view shared by most of the world at the time.

If you have any sources that show that the Jordanian occupation of Palestine took the same form, inward transfer of Jordanian civilians, control of the aquifers, dispossession and cantonisation I would be genuinely interested to see it. And, of course, we haven't even started looking at the Ottoman or British occupations, have we? Teel you what, I'll state categorically that I'm against all occupations. That should speed things up somewhat.

I am having a little difficulty in seeing where you're going with this one. Are we leading up to "Occupation is justified because Palestine has always been occupied"? ..... cos that view kinda died out with colonialism. Somewhere along the line, the right to self-determination became a guiding principle.

On then to the heavily disputed causes of the 1967 war:
    "The former Commander of the Air Force, General Ezer Weitzman, regarded as a hawk, stated that there was 'no threat of destruction' but that the attack on Egypt, Jordan and Syria was nevertheless justified so that Israel could 'exist according the scale, spirit, and quality she now embodies.'...Menahem Begin had the following remarks to make: 'In June 1967, we again had a choice. The Egyptian Army concentrations in the Sinai approaches do not prove that Nasser was really about to attack us. We must be honest with ourselves. We decided to attack him.' "Noam Chomsky, "The Fateful Triangle."

Yes, yes, I know Chomsky's a lefty - but I've yet to see proof that he lied.
    "I do not think Nasser wanted war. The two divisions he sent to The Sinai would not have been sufficient to launch an offensive war. He knew it and we knew it." Yitzhak Rabin, Israel's Chief of Staff in 1967, in Le Monde, 2/28/68
    source

One would think that Rabin, Begin and Weitzman knew what they were talking about. No?
  • Options
    I don't know what your problem is. If you can't see a difference between propaganda/advocacy sites like IMEMC and reputable news sites like the BBC, then...

Talking about "impartial" or not is a classic strawman attack. I didn't mention the impartiality or otherwise of news sources.
  • Options
    Are we leading up to "Occupation is justified because Palestine has always been occupied"? ..... cos that view kinda died out with colonialism. Somewhere along the line, the right to self-determination became a guiding principle.

Actually that's not where I was going.

The point I was making is that you only ever condemn that actions of Israel, yet over look any reason why they may choose to act in that way.

I'm not defending them, and I won't defend the terrorists. You cannot say the same.
  • Options
    Madge Noon wrote:
    I don't know what your problem is. If you can't see a difference between propaganda/advocacy sites like IMEMC reputable news sites like the BBC, then...

Talking about "impartial" or not is a classic strawman attack. I didn't mention the impartiality or otherwise of news sources.

Hey, fuckwit. I can see the difference.

Doesn't mean that none of them have a bias...

BTW Why are you still using Madge Noon as your ID. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Actually that's not where I was going.

The point I was making is that you only ever condemn that actions of Israel, yet over look any reason why they may choose to act in that way.

I'm not defending them, and I won't defend the terrorists. You cannot say the same.

I'll repeat the edit - I'm against all occupations. Hope that helps.

The majority of Palestinians have NEVER engaged in any acts of violence against any other party.

The use of the term "terrorists" is meant to blind people to reality, and it does it very succesfully on the whole. Where does it take us? How does it move us towards a peaceful resolution? Are you unaware that many colonised peoples have engaged in armed struggle to gain their "liberation"?
  • Options
    Erm, I didn't link the terrorists with Palestinians, for the record.

Personally I cannot see any proposal which will bring a solution. There are two completely diverse stances, each backed up with force, neither apparently wanting to back down...
  • Options
    Erm, I didn't link the terrorists with Palestinians, for the record.

Personally I cannot see any proposal which will bring a solution. There are two completely diverse stances, each backed up with force, neither apparently wanting to back down...

What about Mustafa Barghouti's proposal above?