Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Americans are not all stuipid, believe it or not.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BlackArab wrote:
    You should see some of the anti-British stuff on American websites and not just anti-left either... :yes:

Give me an example of an anti british american website.
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    if he does ...will you curl up and die?
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:

why don't you check out noraid for starters
  • Options
    if he does ...will you curl up and die?

Only if you polish your bald head.
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    Only if you polish your bald head.
    which one?
  • Options
    mil.com can also be pretty anti-British when we say we don't want guns.

That said just use a bit of logic and it seriously flummoxes some of them.

PS - I love Mil.com even if can be slightly irritating. Its about the only forum where people think I'm some sort of left wing liberal :shocking:
  • Options
    which one?

:yuck:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    mil.com can also be pretty anti-British when we say we don't want guns.

:
    we don't want guns?
    we have always had legal acess to guns ...until tony came to power and criminalised their ownership ...which means of course that criminals have as many guns as they wish ...and the law abiding have handed all theirs in ...mostly.
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    :yuck:
    :D
  • Options
    OK I'll clarify - I suspect the majority of the British don't want easy access to weapons by anyone except the police and armed forces.

I hate Blair, but it wasn't unpopular with the majority of the population when he massively tightened the gun laws.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    it wasn't unpopular with the majority of the population when he massively tightened the gun laws.
    did he ask anyone?
    wasn't it a tabloid induced reaction?
    the millions of people who owned all manner of weaponry for years ...warned that criminlasing it would do just that ...and it came to pass.
    the situation we have now ...is the law abiding have no guns ...the lawbreakers have them all instead ...is that good?
  • Options
    Are you American? :chin: I seem to have heard this argument on mil.com a few times.

It was in their manifesto. They'd talked about banning them before the election. So people knew what that Blair was going to do it.

And your average ordinary citizen is hardly at risk from armed criminals and given a 9milli would probably be more dangerous to themselves and their neighbours than any burgular.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Are you American? :chin: I seem to have heard this argument on mil.com a few times.

It was in their manifesto. They'd talked about banning them before the election. So people knew what that Blair was going to do it.

And your average ordinary citizen is hardly at risk from armed criminals and given a 9milli would probably be more dangerous to themselves and their neighbours than any burgular.
    i'm english in wales!
    an immigrant into a very hostile country.
    there were no ...NO ...problems with people owning guns legaly.
    the occasional nutter would get hold of one ...
    now most occasional nutters own them.
  • Options
    did he ask anyone?
    wasn't it a tabloid induced reaction?
    the millions of people who owned all manner of weaponry for years ...warned that criminlasing it would do just that ...and it came to pass.
    the situation we have now ...is the law abiding have no guns ...the lawbreakers have them all instead ...is that good?

But Mr Roll you said yourself a couple of months back that you can easily get hold of shotguns licences. If thats sufficient for hunting what else do we need?

I wouldn't want a handgun in the house and I don't want any British versions of Diesel where I live tbh.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    But Mr Roll you said yourself a couple of months back that you can easily get hold of shotguns licences. If thats sufficient for hunting what else do we need?

I wouldn't want a handgun in the house and I don't want any British versions of Diesel where I live tbh.
    trouble is shotguns are generaly crap for hunting.
    i wouldn't particularly want people having hand guns etc in their city dwellings ...but that is what we now have ...on a growing scale.
    shotgun liciense is a doddle to get.
  • Options
    i'm english in wales!
    an immigrant into a very hostile country.
    there were no ...NO ...problems with people owning guns legaly.
    the occasional nutter would get hold of one ...
    now most occasional nutters own them.

Ah I see your point...

I've just had a vision of loads of Taffs dressed as Red Indians surrounding your homestead whilst you fight them off with your trusty six shooters

(note to self - must not watch John Wayne DVDs on return from work).

The occasional nutters shot up Hungerford and then a school in Dunblane. Giving up weapons seems to be a small price to pay for not having those being repeated.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with having a gun!just try not to shoot anyone.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Ah I see your point...

The occasional nutters shot up Hungerford and then a school in Dunblane. Giving up weapons seems to be a small price to pay for not having those being repeated.
    but that was two incidences since the second world war ......now these very same nutters have all manner of illegal and untraceable weaponry.
    the huge solution against the innocent ...was to produce a a huge problem for the innocent.
    guns and drugs should be regulated and controlled ...not criminalised.
  • Options
    Whilst it may be possible to regulate drugs - regulating guns doesn't tend to work. Even a regulated gun will kill, even if it's some idiot leaving it where his kids will get it or cleaning it whilst loaded.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Whilst it may be possible to regulate drugs - regulating guns doesn't tend to work. Even a regulated gun will kill, even if it's some idiot leaving it where his kids will get it or cleaning it whilst loaded.
    but that just didn't happen with sensible english people who owned guns without it being some kind of power trip ...english people have never been renowned for flashing guns about or boasting about them.
    whilst guns were legal ...the negative effects were virtualy nil.
    unfortunately i agree that make them legal again is now to late ...the criminal market is up and running and basicaly unstoppable ...they shouldn't have criminalised it in the first place.
  • Options
    The problem with illegal guns should really be looked at as a seperate issue in my opinion. I live in a city and I have never really felt the need to have a gun in my home. Where I live if your not a criminal you don't need one and you'll never see one.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    The problem with illegal guns should really be looked at as a seperate issue in my opinion. I live in a city and I have never really felt the need to have a gun in my home. Where I live if your not a criminal you don't need one and you'll never see one.
    but when it was perfectly legal to own all manner of firearms ...not that long ago ...they were mostly in the countryside anyway. to get a licience in a tower block was reasonably easy ...but it was controlled ...the sales and ownership ...all traceable ...there was no real demand from the criminal element until ...firearms were made illegal.
    there were far fewer problems but ...like i admit ...to late to go back now ...we have already created the monster.
  • Options
    by the way ...guns were not about threatening anyone or even protecting yourself ...they were purely sport/hobby/pastime/rodent control etc.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    this period in history will be looked back on as one of notoriety and barbarity, i thought we were supossed to be the most civilised society ever on earth's history.

Of course we are. If you think that there has been a society more civilized then you are a fool.
  • Options
    Of course we are. If you think that there has been a society more civilized then you are a fool.
    can you give me a link to that?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    sorry i just can't take you seriously anymore, why should we be jealous of american culture, lets look at american culture, you're either A) a skater boy with baggy jeans who likes to say stuff like "dude" and "radical" :rolleyes: or B) a red neck who likes to shag your sister, oh yes so enviable, well it's not that clear cut but you can see my point. cultural snobbery, us europeans have far more culture than the americans, you talk about immigrants being shipped off, i think you should be shipped off to america cos you clearly aren't happy being English. atheism, what the fuck has that got to do with anything? you live in a delusional world.

You are so ignorant and stupid it annoys me. You obviously havent the faintest idea about American culture. There is no single American culture anyway, as the country is incredibly diverse. Your posts are consistently irrationally anti-American which is stupid in itself but you dont even have any reasoning or any sort of argument behind them.

You've dismissed a country of 200 + million people (or more? not sure) as either a "skater boy" or a "red neck who likes to shag your(sic.:yeees: ) sister".
    You are a bigot and an ignorant fool. If you generalised in the same way about say, Pakistani culture or perhaps African culture you'd get lambasted instantly.

Luckily I think most people can appreciate the fact that you are an idiot.
  • Options
    can you give me a link to that?

What society in history has been more civilized than ours?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    sorry i just can't take you seriously anymore, why should we be jealous of american culture, lets look at american culture, you're either A) a skater boy with baggy jeans who likes to say stuff like "dude" and "radical" :rolleyes: or B) a red neck who likes to shag your sister, oh yes so enviable, well it's not that clear cut but you can see my point. cultural snobbery, us europeans have far more culture than the americans, you talk about immigrants being shipped off, i think you should be shipped off to america cos you clearly aren't happy being English. atheism, what the fuck has that got to do with anything? you live in a delusional world.

Yeah your right torlough, im not that proud of being english any more , because im one of the only honkies left down my street, i wonder if they will still call it england when all the white people have been "ethinically cleansed" from their homeland? But your right i will never be proud to be english, our new multi-cultural society saddens me, it leads to demoralised and fragmented communities.
  • Options
    What society in history has been more civilized than ours?
    i'll have to have a think ...get back to you soon.
    hey i'm old enough to remember when america was THE beacon of all that was good ...i'm sure there are others here.
    some will say we were deluded ...
    i like to think we were aspiring.
    yes of fucking course all manner of shit was going on in the background ...same as it ever was.
    for some reason each generation feels more sophisticated than the last ...which means they have failed fully to comprehend many valuable lessons.
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    Yeah your right torlough, im not that proud of being english any more , because im one of the only honkies left down my street, i wonder if they will still call it england when all the white people have been "ethinically cleansed" from their homeland? But your right i will never be proud to be english, our new multi-cultural society saddens me, it leads to demoralised and fragmented communities.

You sound like a racist. But to be honest, I don't think multi-culturalism works either. Even the head of the Board for Racial Equality agrees.

I'm all for integration, more along the lines of the American way of adopting immigrants, they really buy into the way of life and become true Americans. In the UK there is more of a celebration of differences and a tacit agreement that the immigrants are somehow foreign and not quite British.