Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would YOU wear fur?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I eat meat, have leather shoes, bags, belts and jackets but I could never wear real fur. The animal is still killed for my benifit but it just seems wrong. I'm contradicting myself but I have no explination.
  • Options
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I was referring to comments like this one.
    it's still revolting, despite Ilora's attempts to pretend otherwise.
    Ilora wasnt pretending anything, she was stating her views. You find it revolting, but that doesn't mean it is to everyone.
  • Options
    My great grandmother had a fabulous fur coat which has been inherited by my mother. I've stolen it on occasion. It must be at least 80 years old, if not more, and it makes little difference to the minks that provided the fur whether someone wears it now or not.

I would never buy a new fur coat.

:yes:

My granny had (not sure if she's thrown it out or not) a gorgeous mink coat too, and a rabbit fur stole which I wore for my first communion :)

I'd never,ever buy one myself though.
  • Options
    real fur wearing is vile
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    though I disagree with her saying I am somehow disrespectful of other people's views here, where I simply wish to bring some facts and reality into the debate.
    i didn't see your name mentioned oh paranoid one.
    i don't wear fur but i do wear sheep and cattle.
    i would rather wear fur than fake ...the alternatives are all bad in their production for the environment.
  • Options
    I wouldn't wear either real fur or fake fur. It doesn't appeal.
  • Options
    I would never buy a new fur coat.

says it all

dont like the stuff myself but i repsect someones right to do so, however id prefe rif they brought a 2nd hand one

you probably plenty of wildlife from wearing artificial fabrics which make chemical waste for example, and people wear leather etc etc so focusing on fur is a rahte rpointless etc

dont forget cows would kill us all if we gave them even a moment :lol:
  • Options
    never ever would i wear it. And i take an instant dislike to anyone that would :mad:
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    never ever would i wear it. And i take an instant dislike to anyone that would :mad:

Is it the fur itself that it immoral or the method for getting the fur?
  • Options
  • Options
    no, not now, not ever.

would you wear your cats fur? or another humans skin? no? well there you have it.

ok, i used to be some what of an animal rights activist, but still, the pain and suffering animals go through, just to make someone feel they are wereing something "fashionable".

grrrrr
  • Options
    no, not now, not ever.

would you wear your cats fur? or another humans skin? no? well there you have it.

ok, i used to be some what of an animal rights activist, but still, the pain and suffering animals go through, just to make someone feel they are wereing something "fashionable".

So its the methods and the actual fur you object too?

If I produced a free range mink coat would you still think it horrible?
  • Options
    Cba reading the whole thread 'cause I bet it's full of you fucking hypocrite meat eaters whining about how oh-so wrong fur is.

Yes, I'd wear fur. To a steak house.
  • Options
    Agreed, unless you object to it purely for how the fur is obtained and you're not a vegan then people can get off their high horses about how inhumane wearing fur is, seeing as how a lot of the meat that you eat or the animal products that you use come from animals that are treated on a par with those bred for fur.

Stargalaxy - out of curiousity, do you eat meat? do you wear leather shoes or use other animal products, etc.?

*edited for spelling*
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    Cba reading the whole thread 'cause I bet it's full of you fucking hypocrite meat eaters whining about how oh-so wrong fur is.

Yes, I'd wear fur. To a steak house.

Well actually most of the problem people have with fur is the conditions, same as most people dont buy battery hen eggs.
  • Options

Stargalaxy - out of curiousity, do you eat meat? do you wear leather shoes or use other animal products, etc.?

I asked him this but he didn't reply.

And TT do you wear leather, because that is just 'cows skin'
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    And TT do you wear leather, because that is just 'cows skin'

But the comparison is stupid, cows arent kept in tiny cages where they suffer horribly.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well actually most of the problem people have with fur is the conditions, same as most people dont buy battery hen eggs.

So it's OK for me to take you hostage and kill you as long as I keep you in good conditions before hand?
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    So it's OK for me to take you hostage and kill you as long as I keep you in good conditions before hand?

As long as you make a good coat out of me thats fine.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    As long as you make a good coat out of me thats fine.

Exactly.

If you were an animal, wouldn't you wanna die knowing you'd made someone happy?
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    Exactly.

Well what are you bitching about then? Did you just want the chance to call everyone hypocrits?

If you eat meat and use leather then you can have no moral objection to fur IF it was made ethically.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well what are you bitching about then? Did you just want the chance to call everyone hypocrits?

Don't you follow?

I was trying to make a point. I'm not "bitching".
  • Options
    I think that one of the reasons that people get worked up over the whole fur issue while they allow themselves to wear leather is also the fact that usually animals used for their leather are used for their meat too.
    So yeah.

Either way I wear shoes out of horsefur, eat meat, and make an issue out of buying leather shoes rather than synthetic crap. I couldn't really care less.
    Then again, I don't have any fur, and doubt I will get any in the near future.
    I do feel for the animals when confronted with it, but generally feel that I have too many othr issues weighing on my head to make a deal out of this.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    Exactly.

your welsh?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But the comparison is stupid, cows arent kept in tiny cages where they suffer horribly.
    exactly. minks, and other animals that are offten made into coats are often killed by drowning or electricution or both, kept in vile conditions, and fur coats are just vile anyway. on the subject of leather: like bong said they are not kept in very small cages and have a reasonably good life....why do you think it's so exspencive??
  • Options
    exactly. minks, and other animals that are offten made into coats are often killed by drowning or electricution or both, kept in vile conditions, and fur coats are just vile anyway. on the subject of leather: like bong said they are not kept in very small cages and have a reasonably good life....why do you think it's so exspencive??

Again, it's OK to murder something as long as you keep it in good conditions before hand?

That's like saying it woulda been OK for Hitler to kill Jews if he didn't stick them in camps first - and don't say it isn't.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

No, but chickens are, and i bet plenty fo people who object here aren't buying free range chicken produts the entire time.

Also lots of cows do suffer a fair amount due to overbreeding and selection for production, from mastitus, lameness, various reproductive problems, etc. although i can only say this for certain in the dairy industry, and they're the cows which are the most likely to end up as cheap burgers and stuff.
  • Options

and how do you think they kill cows? again a lot of the time by electrocution and then a bolt to the head. reasonably good life? so being overbred so that you're born lame and in pain a hell of a lot of the time is a reasonably good life?
    As said in post above, do you eat chicken and make sure it's free range? if not then they're stuck in tiny little cages, often have their beaks trimmed to stop themsleves attacking their neighbours and each other. that broiler chickens (bred for meat) grow so fast that the body leachs calcium from thei bones as they grow too big too fast for their bodies to cope.
    Decent leather is expensive as it's a luxury good, same way that mink coats and such like are expensive :rolleyes:
    so by your logic since mink is so expensive then obviously they must lead an ok life.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    pigs are.

I dont own any fur. I used to have a fur coat that I bought from a charity shop. oooh it was so warm, much warmer than a thicker fake fur coat I also had.
    I wouldnt buy one new, because I dont want to support the industry, but I dont see the harm in wearing a second hand fur coat.
    Im not a vegetarian so it would be completely hypocritical of me to start protesting about it being wrong to kill certain animals but not others. Youre either against killing animals or youre not.
    I definitely think animals should be only kept and killed humanely, and this is reflected by the choices I make when I buy my food.
    If you ever buy pork/bacon/chicken/eggs that dont have the `free range, organic, or freedom foods`labels on them, then you really have no right to hold your arms up in protest about the fact a fur coat comes from a cute furry animal.