Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would YOU wear fur?

Recently, I've read a lot in the press about how fur might be making a comeback following several displays of the stuff at London Fashion Week. This was a picture that personally, I found to be revolting: click here.

So, a question for the women: would YOU wear fur?
EDIT: I meant real fur, not the fake stuff.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nope personally i wouldnt wear fur
  • Options
    No,I've seen what they do to the poor animals :no:

Faux fur's a different matter altogether though!
  • Options
    Yes. I bought a black rabbit fur coat from a carboot sale for a fiver, it's pretty snuggly.

What's dead is dead, if it's already been made into a coat, what's the harm in wearing it!?

Ilora x
  • Options
    WARNING: the content of the links below may be offensive to some users. LadyJade
    What's dead is dead, if it's already been made into a coat, what's the harm in wearing it!?
    Visit this site and see how you feel afterwards. Oh yes, and this is one way that a mink can be caught. I make no apologies for posting this image: morguetrap.jpg
    Try looking at the other pictures here, and then answer your question: click here.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yes. I bought a black rabbit fur coat from a carboot sale for a fiver, it's pretty snuggly.

Ilora x
    If people wouldn't buy them, they'd stop making them. Sorry, but that comment was idiotic.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    morguetrap.jpg

really upset me that did :(
  • Options
    No i wouldn't, and why would you need to when there are so many fake alternitives around now? (i personally find these pretty grim but diffrent folks, different strokes)

And Ilora, you know they actually breed animals for their fur like chinchilla's, you know the kind you can buy in petshops don't you?
  • Options
    nope. no way. havent looked at the links, just have always felt strongly about it. at the age of 11 i chucked my mums mink coat on the bonfire november 5th- i am still grounded!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This was a picture that personally, I found to be revolting:
    EDIT: I meant real fur, not the fake stuff.
    Yes, it was revolting. Not just because of Lopez. Any woman I was with would get a backhand if they came home in one of those.

As for the photo of the mink, I'm actually crying as I type this. Fucking shocking, the sooner the market is closed down the better.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Visit this site and see how you feel afterwards. Oh yes, and this is one way that a mink can be caught. I make no apologies for posting this image:

Just so you know stargalaxy the mink they use in the fur industry are usually bread for that cause, not caught in the wild, they live in cages all their life become vicious and agitated attacking their neighbours and themselves, and they are then gased to death, then skinned while some of them are apperently just unconcious. Lovely stuff.

Although it seems a bit hypocritcal of me saying all this, cause while i don't eat beef, lamb, pork etc i do still eat chicken, and while all the ones i buy are free range and all that blah, they are still bred for the purpose of eating, like these animals are bred for fur, while i dissagree with it totally, you can't help but wonder how people can be so against it while they freely chomp on animals that have faced the same fate everyday.
  • Options
    No, I wouldn't.
  • Options
    I'l wear fake fur, but not real fur :no:
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Stargalaxy: the mink they use in the fur industry are usually bred for that cause, they live in cages all their life become vicious and agitated attacking their neighbours and themselves, and they are gassed to death, then skinned while some of them are apperently just unconscious.
    :mad: Are you honestly implying that I haven't actually bothered to read about what happens before posting this thread?! It makes no difference whatsoever - it's still revolting, despite Ilora's attempts to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    No I wouldn't wear fur, I think it's horrible.

Though at the same time we wear leather shoes and things like that and don't think anything of it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :mad: Are you honestly implying that I haven't actually bothered to read about what happens before posting this thread?

Less of the rage, just saying cause you was posting pictures of the traps and stuff, i was merely pointing out that is not how it is (mostly) done.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I can see this descending into abusive mayhem.... Please respect other users opinions, even though they don't agree with you, their opinion isn't wrong. Settle down!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :mad: Are you honestly implying that I haven't actually bothered to read about what happens before posting this thread?! It makes no difference whatsoever - it's still revolting, despite Ilora's attempts to pretend otherwise.

Don't edit your post after i've quoted it, how rude! :p

Did i say it made a difference, nope, did i say it made it any less revolting, no.

A question though, do you eat meat stargalaxy? do you wear leather shoes, leather belts, bags etc?
  • Options
    And it's still wrong. Thing is though, because sad tarts like Lopez are seen in them, they'll become even more popular (despite her coat looking shit). When all a fur coat achieves is to make you look like you're rich (or desperately want to be), they shouldn't be made.
  • Options
    I dont have any ethical problems with people wearing fur in of itself, what I object to are animal living conditions which are cruel.

So be that for my plate or my coat if the animal was looked after ok then I see no problem what so ever.

(I dont own any fur by the way)
  • Options
    I think fur coats look beautiful and are amazing to touch. But they'd look and feel better if they were still attached to an animal.

In saying that though, Beans is right. I still wear leather shoes (oh,how I :heart: shoes) and use leather bags (only one). There's a huge amount of hypocrisy involved in this.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont have any ethical problems with people wearing fur in of itself, what I object to are animal living conditions which are cruel.

:yes:
  • Options
    There's a huge amount of hypocrisy involved in this.
    I know, and it's hard to say that leather is ok, while fur isn't. I think what a lot of it boils down to, is that the animals that 'donate' their fur are cuter than cows :(. In not such a blatant way, though. It has so much to do with the way we look at the animals themselves. Cows are everywhere, they shit everywhere and we get milk and meat from them. Aside from the fact that you don't see mink half as often, they look sweeter than a big muddy carcass mooing away in a field.

Also, theoretically, we should be killing mink. They're proper little freeloaders (think doleys), whilst cows are one ofthe major contributors (if not the biggest) to 'animal society'.
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Aww i think cows are quite pretty with their big brown eyes and long eyelashes, baby cows are so qute when they suckle on your hand :lol:
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

So be that for my plate or my coat if the animal was looked after ok then I see no problem what so ever.

(I dont own any fur by the way)

i agree with this, and i also think that in a climate like ours, there's no real need to wear fur. the fakes are there if you like the look, and we never get cold enough to need it, really.

spend a winter in siberia and see how anti-fur you are then. there it's more of a necessity than a fashion, so i'm ok with it.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i agree with this, and i also think that in a climate like ours, there's no real need to wear fur. the fakes are there if you like the look, and we never get cold enough to need it, really.

spend a winter in siberia and see how anti-fur you are then. there it's more of a necessity than a fashion, so i'm ok with it.
    Why would you wear it anyway? It mings something terrible. God, you look like a wannabe rapper's hoochie.

Only when I'm in Siberia then....
  • Options
    Kaffrin; Well yes, there is the arguement that we dont have to use fur because of the weather and the fakes. And I can see the sense in that, however, we kill other animals for reasons not of need.

We dont NEED to eat as many animals as we do, but we choose too.

As it stands fur is deeply unethical because of the way its made, however, if you could buy free range fur I wouldnt see any problem with it. Even if we didnt really need to have it.
  • Options
    ok ok, so cows aren't as ugly as i made out, but you know what i mean, right? did you see the picture that stargalaxy linked?
  • Options
    did you see the picture that stargalaxy linked?
    I accept on reflection I should have put a warning before linking those, but thanks to LadyJade for adding one, though I disagree with her saying I am somehow disrespectful of other people's views here, where I simply wish to bring some facts and reality into the debate.
  • Options
    I don't resent (word choice?) you in any way for posting it. People need that kind of shock to see the darker side of the fur trade.
    I wouldn't've said you're disrespectful either.