Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Feminist Trap

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i've attended many womans rights rallies, and to be honest, almost 100 years after the suffregets, we are still not on par with men in MANY MANY jobs (think the music industry espescial, i'm going to have to work twice as hard to get to where i want to be), domestic violence is still the second biggest killer of women in the home, support if still not being given to women who want to work AND have kids, and many many men still see us as sex objects and thats it.

ok, i'm also a huge bikini kill fan, and was brought up among riot grrls so......please excuse me.

but, here in spain domestic violence is a HUGE problem, so much so that there are about 5 different campaigns going on nationwide, TV, billboards, newspapers, everything has adverts pointing it out.

ok, so we have come an long way, but we still have a long way to go.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My point was, while feminism is inherently a good thing, there are some glitches that need to be sorted out, in some way.
    So women today don't need to stay at home all day and devote their lives to having children. That's a good thing. But when most don't even want to have any, there's a big problem IMO. What if someday no woman in the world (okay, in one country) don't want children? Are the people supposed to disappear just because of that?
    Of course, this could be just like the realization of a new freedom, like when you tell a child that he's now old enough go out of the house alone and he spends all day out because it's something he never could do before. But eventually he'll realize it's not all that great as it seemed before, and return to normal "schedule".
    If that's the way the whole of women as a social group work now, maybe balance will return by itself when long enough a time has passed.

And I certainly hope I don't get misinterpreted.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I think it is more complex than that. People are influenced by the media, but not in the simple straightforward way you are suggesting. The language you are using suggests that people are empty vessels that can't think for themselves. This is not true.

Blagsta, no offense here, but having read what's been said it's like you're trying to overanalyse what he's said and pick him up on something he hasn't said.

Apollo, you've got some good points, but on balance I prefer our society nowadays. I think we need to let women know that it's not a waste if they want to have a family and be a family woman - most mothers will probably tell you having a family is the most rewarding thing they've done in their life.
  • Options
    this planet has a far to big a population as it is. more people deciding not to have kids is a good thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    this planet has a far to big a population as it is. more people deciding not to have kids is a good thing.
    Hm, that's correct too. Maybe it works sort of like a defense mechanism?
  • Options

It's good on the grounds of overpopulation, but there are many other factors that influence it and I don't beelive overall that people not having children is a good thing. But perhaps that's just me.
  • Options
    okay blagsta thats where we differ, i'd say sex roles (masc/fem)are a biological construct, which our society and culture is attempting to change because we think we know better, and thats what's fucking things up.
  • Options
    So apollo, in your opinion, what would be your ideal solution or alternative to what you've been talking about?
  • Options
    aha zalbor so are you saying that feminism arose spontaneously as a measure to control population? you're getting closer.....
  • Options
    as far as i can see go_away, the best thing to do is promote equality but to make it clear that equal and identical are entirely different concepts.....this would stop women trying to take the man's role and confusing their identity because women do not truly seek power, this is only what we are being told by our media......it's essential to maintain our sexual distinction, or this world is heading for a crazy ride, because at the heart of stability is a stable nuclear family, this is how it's always been.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i think apollo sorta has a point in there somewhere, just got me thinkin about some things, i think this modern world drives us all to be equal, almost machine like, strips away sexuality, maybe there is a design for life though, maybe it's natural for a women to just reproduce and take care, it works some eco systems does it not, politics is aesthetics, natural is natural, maybe whats natural has been stretched too much to suit the needs of a modern economic and political world, who's needs are we looking out for anyway, ourselves or humans in general. who's needs are needed more in the long term, take care of each other. theres my rant/arguement who knows.

What is "natural"? How can you divorce behaviour from the social context it is in?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Blagsta, no offense here, but having read what's been said it's like you're trying to overanalyse what he's said and pick him up on something he hasn't said.

I'm reacting to the language used. If apollo wants to argue a point he needs to think about what language he uses.
  • Options
    this planet has a far to big a population as it is.

Does it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    okay blagsta thats where we differ, i'd say sex roles (masc/fem)are a biological construct, which our society and culture is attempting to change because we think we know better, and thats what's fucking things up.

What are those sex roles though? How are they defined? What meanings are attached to them? Who defines the meaning? What is the power structure? How can we can we say what the "natural" roles are? These meanings and roles are rooted in society and culture, so it is meaningless to try and define them as some kind of absolute "natural" thing.

P.S.
    My girlfriend thinks you're a wazzock.
  • Options
    as far as i can see go_away, the best thing to do is promote equality but to make it clear that equal and identical are entirely different concepts.....this would stop women trying to take the man's role and confusing their identity because women do not truly seek power, this is only what we are being told by our media......it's essential to maintain our sexual distinction, or this world is heading for a crazy ride, because at the heart of stability is a stable nuclear family, this is how it's always been.

Where are women trying to "take the man's role"? What is the man's role? What is the woman's role? You seem unable to say.
  • Options
    What is "natural"? How can you divorce behaviour from the social context it is in?

i'm not saying you can, i'm just saying that maybe behaviour is a pre determined trait from the start and that the social context it is in is a hinderance to their role or whatever and unbeneficial to human evolution, therefore being unnatural. i'm not saying i believe this shit i'm just saying it might be true.
  • Options
    aha zalbor so are you saying that feminism arose spontaneously as a measure to control population? you're getting closer.....
    DON'T TWIST MY WORDS!
    I only said that since/if the population needs to get lesser, society as a whole (which sometimes functions like an organism) started procreating less to control this. It's just an idea.
    I didn't say it was because of feminism, nor that there's any "evil will" behind it. That's what YOU said.
  • Options
    not saying you zalbor but who says we need to lessen the population, if humans weren't so greedy as a race we'd be living comfortably but who's fault is that then...........go deep inside your mind and all you'll do is hit a big wall with a quesiton mark.
  • Options
    Where are women trying to "take the man's role"? What is the man's role? What is the woman's role? You seem unable to say.
    There is one very basic difference between men and women, which even you can't say it doesn't exist.
    For the biological aspects of raising a child, a man is practically only needed for a few seconds. A woman is needed for a year to say the least.

~Disclaimer: I don't agree with apollo. I'm only saying that some parts of what he says have a point.~
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    not saying you zalbor but who says we need to lessen the population, if humans weren't so greedy as a race we'd be living comfortably but who's fault is that then...........go deep inside your mind and all you'll do is hit a big wall with a quesiton mark.
    I know what you mean, that's why I put the "if". The first comment was based on the supposition that what trinity said was true.
  • Options
    lol zalbor thats why i phrased it as a question, im not twisting your words or saying you agree with me, hence there is no need for a disclaimer, tut.
  • Options
    lol zalbor thats why i phrased it as a question, im not twisting your words or saying you agree with me, hence there is no need for a disclaimer, tut.
    The disclaimer was for Blagsta. As for you, the "you're getting closer" comment didn't sound like a question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    There is one very basic difference between men and women, which even you can't say it doesn't exist.
    For the biological aspects of raising a child, a man is practically only needed for a few seconds. A woman is needed for a year to say the least.

Well yes, thats obvious. Apollo's argument however seems to be that men are men and women are women. A = A. Which is true but doesn't tell us anything at all. What does it mean to be a man or woman? What roles do they play in relation to the society and economic conditions they are in? Who has power over who? In what circumstances? And why? Where does that power come from?
    Things only have meanings in relation to other things. To try and consider gender roles without any social context is pointless. Men and women do not exist in a vacuum.
  • Options
    apollo_69, what do you think prompted the shift to a more radical feminist movement in the 60's, and (how) does it relate to the other big cultural changes of the period?
  • Options
    women fall pregnant ...ancient old thing.
    meaning man has to graft and provide ...the woman would be in a delicate position ...when the child arrived it would need years and years and years and years and years and years of nurturing.
    meaning ...men have always had to dig ...hunt shovel fend decide ...whats so hard to understand?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think the main problem in Europe is the low rate of birth which means that in the near future we're going to have 20 old bids to every young nipper - our population is getting older.
    The rate of death is higher than the rate of birth.
    I don't see how that can be a good thing.

Famillies should be encouraged to have more kids in this country - if that means that women have to stay at home more so be it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    men have 10x the testosterone compared to women, and that's for a reason blagsta, work it out........i'll reply more extensively when im less pissed, merry christmas everyone.
  • Options
    Re: The Feminist Trap
    Feminism pretends to be about giving women equal opportunity in the workplace when in fact it's devoted to discouraging women from seeking fulfillment in motherhood.

Please explain what you think feminism is.
  • Options
    Re: Re: The Feminist Trap
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Please explain what you think feminism is.

all i see feminism as is belief in equality for women.....

thats why i dont beleive in it, cause i believe in a more generic equality that covers more than sex, whilst realising people are different and see different roles as fulfilling
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: The Feminist Trap
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    all i see feminism as is belief in equality for women.....

thats why i dont beleive in it, cause i believe in a more generic equality that covers more than sex, whilst realising people are different and see different roles as fulfilling

i think the equality feminism entails is not one of a machine race but equality in their treatment which is fair enough but i don't like alot of women who claim to be feminist but just hate men, it undermines the movement and causes further friction, legally, their equal, but unofficially the gap is growing in certain area.