Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

FAO luke.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by turlough
    there is also no way of telling who will be an alcoholic
    Medically speaking, they're the ones that drink a lot. ;)

With cannabis it is less clear who will suffer adverse effects. Sorry but it's true.
    and in relation to your second comment, is that the drug users problem or the governments, most people know what the craic is and if you go out and take drugs without research then you're just stupid.
    Sadly, most drug users are woefully uninformed about the dangers of drug taking - and don't want to know. Just like smoking and alcohol. Who'd have thought that people would continue smoking when it says on the packet that they could die from it.
  • Options
    Any solutions yourself kentish?? i can't think of any but i know we're in a bad situation when 16 year olds eat pills like sweets, sniff grams of coke in a night etc etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    that would be murder so you'd be arested.

this is my view OK on cannabis..... if you smoke it in your own home, not outside in the public eye then its fine. people with mnassive amounts in their house, if found out would be arested because they are obviously dealing.

i just read yesterdays times and seen that england is the highest in europe for girls and boys for smoking cannabis, i almost cried, but i am not surprised. spain was the 2nd highest and again i am not surprised after visiting there in the summer.

more should be done to make it less attractive to smoke the crap.

so what if its murder, you do realise that is illegal the same as smoking cannabis
  • Options
    Any solutions yourself kentish?? i can't think of any
    Only more accessible rehab for those who want it, and creating reasons for people not to want to take drugs. Improving the lives of the people at the bottom of the pile and giving them hopes for the future that don't require chemical enhancement.

You'll probably always have rebellious teenagers dabbling in drugs, and students with their cannabis but not necessarily.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Only more accessible rehab for those who want it, and creating reasons for people not to want to take drugs. Improving the lives of the people at the bottom of the pile and giving them hopes for the future that don't require chemical enhancement.

You'll probably always have rebellious teenagers dabbling in drugs, and students with their cannabis but not necessarily.
    the vast majority of drugs are consumed by people who work for a living ...not down and outs at the bottom of the pile.
    seeing as man has taken mind altering substances since the year dot ...why should it now be unacceptable?
    and what is the POINT of illegality ...what has it achieved exactly?
  • Options

good answer, the last one is particularly relevant, many of my drug using friends actually complained to the local MP cos there's nothing to do, i live in an area where the only thing to do for young people is play gaelic football, people around here have become so dissillusioned, their routine is come home from work, smoke spliffs and wait till the weekend till they take fatal amounts of drugs and repeat the process, i've also noticed that most of these people come from broken homes, abused as children and parents divorced, the drug problem runs very deep, so many influences, it'll never be resolved imo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the vast majority of drugs are consumed by people who work for a living ...not down and outs at the bottom of the pile.
    seeing as man has taken mind altering substances since the year dot ...why should it now be unacceptable?
    and what is the POINT of illegality ...what has it achieved exactly?
    Maybe, but most harmful drug use I'd argue affects the disenfranchised underclass.

What's been achieved: less drug use probably. Like I said - legalisation is tacit approval.
  • Options
    good answer, the last one is particularly relevant, many of my drug using friends actually complained to the local MP cos there's nothing to do, i live in an area where the only thing to do for young people is play gaelic football, people around here have become so dissillusioned, their routine is come home from work, smoke spliffs and wait till the weekend till they take fatal amounts of drugs and repeat the process, i've also noticed that most of these people come from broken homes, abused as children and parents divorced, the drug problem runs very deep, so many influences, it'll never be resolved imo.
    None of which would be helped by legalisation of drugs, even 'harmless' cannabis.

It's sad though. I hope your MP took those views to Westminster.
  • Options

What's been achieved: less drug use probably. Like I said - legalisation is tacit approval.

but it's illegal stance makes it an attractive taboo, alot of poeple simply choose not to drink or smoke, even though it is legal, not everyoneis going to jump on the drug bandwagon if it was legal, most people despise drugs, i doubt they'll trun around and say "i always wanted to take drugs but said i hated them cos they were illegal", i could be wrong though.
  • Options

It's sad though. I hope your MP took those views to Westminster.

we have a SF mp, they aren't really compassionate to young "joyriding hoods" as they call us and if there's problem within the community they use the balaclava and gun instead of politic to sort it out.
  • Options
    but it's illegal stance makes it an attractive taboo, alot of poeple simply choose not to drink or smoke, even though it is legal, not everyoneis going to jump on the drug bandwagon if it was legal, most people despise drugs, i doubt they'll trun around and say "i always wanted to take drugs but said i hated them cos they were illegal", i could be wrong though.
    Even if that is true - (I don't think it would go like that) - you'd have a whole new generation growing up in a society with legal drugs, with no reason not to dabble. Some people are put of drugs by them being illegal.
  • Options
    Maybe, but most harmful drug use I'd argue affects the disenfranchised underclass.

less!!!!!!! since when did more mean less?
    when it was legal only those who wanted to use it did so.
    since it became illegal ...it has become glamorous ...a rebelious rock n roll thing to do ...it's seen as cool and now ...millions of people use it.
    making the illegal drug trade worth the same ammount of money as the trade in arms and oil. but with a difference ...it's all cash in hand and tax free!
    not bad for those at the top of the pile aye ...
  • Options
    we have a SF mp, they aren't really compassionate to young "joyriding hoods" as they call us and if there's problem within the community they use the balaclava and gun instead of politic to sort it out.
    Vote against them in that case, and encourage your friends to do the same. Put your thoughts in writing too, because they won't know you're a "joyriding hood". If you get no joy, write to the NI secretary directly.
  • Options
    Some people are put of drugs by them being illegal.

true but there are a load of drug users who are attracted to them because they're illegal aswell. who knows if there are more or less on either side??
  • Options
    since it became illegal ...it has become glamorous ...a rebelious rock n roll thing to do ...it's seen as cool and now ...millions of people use it
    So would fewer people use drugs if they were legalised? And would drugs become "uncool"? I can't see the logic - drugs didn't become cool just because they were illegal, more because popular idols used them.

And I didn't mean less in terms of crude numbers, but less than would had they remained legal. They were made illegal for a reason.
  • Options
    Vote against them in that case, and encourage your friends to do the same. Put your thoughts in writing too, because they won't know you're a "joyriding hood". If you get no joy, write to the NI secretary directly.

it really isn't as easy as that, northern ireland is one of the few remaining countries where religion and morals are taken very seriously, and this party is so big that a handfulk of votes will do nothing, and the trouble is, the community agrees that shooting a teenager in the legs is better thasn say build a youth centre, its so fucked up, we are so angry, i have two friends that will never walk properly again because of it. i will write to the sevretary though, see what he'll do.
  • Options
    So would fewer people use drugs if they were legalised? And would drugs become "uncool"? I can't see the logic - drugs didn't become cool just because they were illegal, more because popular idols used them.

And I didn't mean less in terms of crude numbers, but less than would had they remained legal. They were made illegal for a reason.
    holland is famous for it's casual aproach to cannabis ...the result is that heroin addicts are now around the forty years old and upward age. less teens are attracted to hard drugs. they don't have the huge drug problems we do.
    the hospitals are not bulging at the seams ...or the assylums either ...with drug users.
    but the jails are bulging at the seams ...
    i would have no problem with more people smoking cannabis and most police chiefs it seems wouldn't either.
    the brewers and distillers and drug companies are the main opponents of legalising cannabis ...for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    it really isn't as easy as that, northern ireland is one of the few remaining countries where religion and morals are taken very seriously, and this party is so big that a handfulk of votes will do nothing, and the trouble is, the community agrees that shooting a teenager in the legs is better thasn say build a youth centre, its so fucked up, we are so angry, i have two friends that will never walk properly again because of it. i will write to the sevretary though, see what he'll do.
    Things only change when people who are passionate about something take a stand.

Do write to this chap.

You can always spoil your ballot paper by writing a comment in the box next to the Sinn Fein candidate's name. Everything written on a ballot paper gets read out at the count - you can shame them in front of the other candidates. If you write "This guy doesn't listen to his constituents" it'll be read out because they have to decide if the voter meant it is a vote. :D

I went to a count for a local election once and it was hilarious what some people put on their ballots. Smiley faces seemed quite common. :) (They counted as votes).
  • Options
    the brewers and distillers and drug companies are the main opponents of legalising cannabis ...for obvious reasons.
    And health care professionals...for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    did you know ...the police are now briefed to concentrate their efforts at policing huge open air music festivals by keeping an eye on those with large ammounts of lager and other alcohol in their possesion ...why?
    cos those with alcohol are the ones who will cause all the trouble whilst those with a little weed are only there to enjoy themselves in a peacful manner ...
  • Options
    And health care professionals...for obvious reasons.
    which health care proffesionals are these then?
  • Options

You can always spoil your ballot paper by writing a comment in the box next to the Sinn Fein candidate's name. Everything written on a ballot paper gets read out at the count - you can shame them in front of the other candidates. If you write "This guy doesn't listen to his constituents" it'll be read out because they have to decide if the voter meant it is a vote. :D

I went to a count for a local election once and it was hilarious what some people put on their ballots. Smiley faces seemed quite common. :) (They counted as votes).

brilliant, i'm coming 18 in 2 weeks so i'll be elligable for the next election, though i think my comment will be alot worse than "this guy doesn't listen to his constituents" :D
  • Options
    which health care proffesionals are these then?
    Probably all those without a vested interest in legalising drugs.

:wave:
  • Options
    did you know ...the police are now briefed to concentrate their efforts at policing huge open air music festivals by keeping an eye on those with large ammounts of lager and other alcohol in their possesion ...why?
    cos those with alcohol are the ones who will cause all the trouble whilst those with a little weed are only there to enjoy themselves in a peacful manner ...
    That's not in question.
  • Options
    brilliant, i'm coming 18 in 2 weeks so i'll be elligable for the next election, though i think my comment will be alot worse than "this guy doesn't listen to his constituents" :D
    If it's too rude or if it's party political they probably wouldn't read it. Make it short and snappy. Try and go to the count too!
  • Options
    That's not in question.
    the world would be a healthier and more peaceful place if more people used cannabis and less used alcohol then ...
  • Options
    the world would be a healthier and more peaceful place if more people used cannabis and less used alcohol then ...
    The would would be even better than that if people used less alcohol and less cannabis. There's little benefit in swapping one harmful substance for another imo.
  • Options

not sure about healthier but definately more peaceful.
  • Options
    No body, organisation, government, person or power in the world has the right to tell individuals what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

End of.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No body, organisation, government, person or power in the world has the right to tell individuals what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

End of.
    I can see the argument, but I believe the government has a responsibility for the people which includes informing them of the dangers to health of certain practices, especially if you expect the government to pay for the healthcare which is required to treat those who have damaged their own bodies.

As I said, legalisation would be tacit approval, which doesn't sit well with the whole concept of public health.

Should public health initiatives be banned?