Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

FAO luke.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Agree.
  • Options
    Has it ever occurred to you Luke that by legalising drugs crime would go down and even consumption might as well?

And another thing to bear in mind: I have never, not once in my entire life come across someone who didn't take drugs because "they're illegal". People either approve of drugs or disapprove, for medical and/or social reasons. But believe me, if someone approves of drugs, they're going to take them whether the law says they can or not.
  • Options
    Would you care to add the most socially damaging drug known to mankind, alcohol, to that list Luke, or would you leave it "conveniently" out?
  • Options
    So if it were up to you, would you ban alcohol?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    No... I would promote healthy drinking and thatit is uncool to get pissed and have a fight.... stuff like that... and make it less attractive for my age group to drink every night and weekend.
    thats what they should do for other drugs too. Havel them legal but promote healthy responsible use-age.
  • Options
    Considering that:

Alcohol-related deaths every year in the UK: 100,000
    Cannabis-related deaths ever in the UK: 0

Alcohol-related fights, beatings, assaults, rapes every year in the UK: tens of thousands
    Cannabis-related fights, beatings, assaults, rapes every year in the UK: probably zero

Would you care to explain why would you keep alcohol legal and cannabis illegal, when alcohol is infinitely more dangerous and damaging from any way you look at it?
  • Options
    No it doesn't say anything. 30 years ago homosexual acts were illegal. What would you have said then? That because the law says it's illegal you would see it as wrong?

The law is wrong. End of.

And as for cannabis users being dickheds, I suggest you go out and meet new people.
  • Options
    But you can use that arguement with alcohol. When people have a drink you it is only a small percentage of the drink which has alcohol...

Lager is only 4%ish alcohol so it takes a lot to have an effect compared to vodka which is 40% and it only takes a few doubles and you are drunk. It changes people makes them more violent i work in a pub and the time you get trouble is bout 10.30 when people have been tanked up on stella and start looking for a fight.

Alcoholism is a serious problem faced by society, i have seen first hand the effects drink can do to people and is far worse then cannibis and the effects cannibis can have to a person. Alcohol can destroy lives yet it is encouraged and society takes a blind eye to the damage caused by it.
  • Options
    Tough doesnt work Lukesh it has been tried before and in the US it was banned in the 1920s under prohibition, all it does is push it underground and the people which benefit are the criminals. This goes for every sort of drug.

With Alcohol it needs to be taught from an earlier age the effects, also i think we should try and follow the example of France they allow the children to have a glass of wine or so at dinner, it teaches them that alcohol is not special... They is a view here from some teenagers that it is fun to drink and that it makes them look tough or cool.
  • Options

more should be done to make it less attractive to smoke the crap.

on that basis more should be done to make drinking less attractive, a drug in its own right that has far more potential for abuse than cannabis and a drug that i know you personally enjoy.
  • Options
    law is there to restrict us.... a lawless country would be a disaster.
    There are tens of thousands of laws in the UK. Getting rid of one regarding drug consumption wouldn't make the country "lawless" Luke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by marv
    But you can use that arguement with alcohol. When people have a drink you it is only a small percentage of the drink which has alcohol...

Lager is only 4%ish alcohol so it takes a lot to have an effect compared to vodka which is 40% and it only takes a few doubles and you are drunk. It changes people makes them more violent i work in a pub and the time you get trouble is bout 10.30 when people have been tanked up on stella and start looking for a fight.

Alcoholism is a serious problem faced by society, i have seen first hand the effects drink can do to people and is far worse then cannibis and the effects cannibis can have to a person. Alcohol can destroy lives yet it is encouraged and society takes a blind eye to the damage caused by it.

sorry never read this before i made my point, i also know first hand of the dangers of alcohol, not a nice situation to be in.
  • Options
    drink? i drink once in a bluemoon. and i onyl do it becauise its funny ... hehehehe and i dont even like it but i like wkd's etc

believe it or not people smoke cannabis because its funny, luke, drugs like crack and heroin are a serious problem, they're the drugs we need to focus on, cannabis is nowhere near as bad as them, i can gaurantee (i know you won't) but if you smoked a joint you'd realise andunderstand where we're comin from, it's only a laugh, no harm at all in it.
  • Options
    as soon as we legalise cannabis..... the rest wud follow bloody disaster.

:confused: i don't follow your logic, please elaborate as why the rest would follow, and do you agree with me that cannabis isn't as bad a drug as its made out to be, the only downside to it is damaging your lungs, drink damages liver, we breathe in cancerous chemicals everyday from the air that has come from waste we produce from our cars etc etc, so everyday we are breathing in stuff that kills us eventually.
  • Options
    as soon as we legalise cannabis..... the rest wud follow bloody disaster.
    Why? Cannabis is classified as a different drug.

Cigarettes and alcohol are drugs but are legal... and it hasn't made heroin legal has it?

Which goes to prove, it is perfectly possible to make cannabis legal and leave other drugs illegal (even though they should all be legalised IMO).
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    the only downside to [cannabis] is damaging your lungs
    Rubbish. In fact, an outright lie.

Cannabis is extremely harmful to mental health - I've seen people with drug induced psychoses caused by smoking cannabis. It is a rare consequence, but probably as relatively common as liver cirrhosis in heavy drinkers. As long as people refuse to acknowledge the dangers of cannabis, I will not understand the argument for legalisation.

If we know something to be harmful, why would we legalise it?

The only reasonable argument I have come across is the crime-reduction one so don't try and justify cannabis on health grounds because it simple isn't accurate.

Oh, and just for completeness, comparisons to alcohol are pointeless anyway because it is ridiculous to argue for the legalisation of an illegal substance on the basis that there are more harmful substances already available. If anything your argument should be that alcohol consumption should be reduced, but that wouldn't fit with the argument would it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Rubbish. In fact, an outright lie.

Cannabis is extremely harmful to mental health - I've seen people with drug induced psychoses caused by smoking cannabis. It is a rare consequence, but probably as relatively common as liver cirrhosis in heavy drinkers. As long as people refuse to acknowledge the dangers of cannabis, I will not understand the argument for legalisation.

now come on, thats if you've been smoking cannabis for years, and just because alcohol is legal doens't mean comparisons can't be made, people like a social drink, "i'll go to the pub for a pint or two" why can't we have the right to say "i'm going to the cafe for a few spliffs", we're hardly going to have schizophrenia after a few months, bit ike a drinker is hardly going to have liver cancer if he drinks a pint now and again, extreme use of both drugs can turn out bad but moderate use is alright and thats why the only downside i can see is damaging your lungs
  • Options
    Prohibition of alcohol was a failure. Prohibition of drugs has been a failure. Legal or illegal people will drink alcohol and will take drugs. The government makes a lot of money on cigarettes and alcohol, they can use that to fund treatment on the NHS and anti-smoking campaigns, etc. I’d like to see the same happen for drugs. Legalise all drugs and tax them, as they’d be legal anyway the cost of drugs would be lower so addicts would be less likely to turn to crime. The massive profits legalisation would create for the government could fund decent rehabilitation programmes for all who want it and drug dealers would be out of business! It all makes so much sense…Read Ben Elton’s High Society lol.
  • Options
    i can see
    Open your eyes to reality.

I specifically didn't say that it was an inevitable consequence of cannabis use, but it happens and it is unpredictable. I was only countering your assertion that cannabis only harmed the lungs.

Why should we legalise a harmful substance? Shouldn't we learn the lesson of alcohol?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    the cost of drugs would be lower
    Can you prove that, or is it an assumption? On what basis do you make that assumption?
    The massive profits legalisation would create for the government could fund decent rehabilitation programmes for all who want it
    So we'd legalise drugs, tax them, and then use the revenue to pay for programmes to get people off drugs?

Which is it: drugs can't be simultaneously good and bad.
  • Options
    What I was getting at (and I think turlough might have been too) is that if you hold that position then you must also be in favour of banning alcohol.

You can't pick and choose I'm afraid.
  • Options

Why should we legalise a harmful substance? Shouldn't we learn the lesson of alcohol?

fair enough so you agree that alcohol and cigarettes should be made illegal yea?? i am fully aware of the damage cannabis can do, i however am smart enough to know not to abuse it, there is a demand for drugs, humans take their own consequences into their own hands, if a person wants to do permanent damage to their head then it's their fault, normal people, like the majority of us will not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    What I was getting at (and I think turlough might have been too) is that if you hold that position then you must also be in favour of banning alcohol.

You can't pick and choose I'm afraid.
    Absolutely not because there is a fundamental difference between banning something and legalising something.

However, I would like to see more emphasis on healthy drinking and less drug use in general. I have a theory that the reason for much of the town centre binges on Friday and Saturday night is because going to pubs and bars is actually pretty boring without a drink. We should have more imaginative things to do.
  • Options
    Can you prove that, or is it an assumption? On what basis do you make that assumption?

So we'd legalise drugs, tax them, and then use the revenue to pay for programmes to get people off drugs?

Which is it: drugs can't be simultaneously good and bad.

I can’t prove it, it’s a guess really. It just makes sense that something legalised where there’s no risk for the seller will be cheaper than something which is banned and carries big risks by being sold…

Legalise drugs, very tightly control where they can be sold and the quantities in which they can be sold and let use in public places remain illegal and have very tough penalties for people that do drugs in public. Use the revenue created to fund rehabilitation programmes, at the moment unless you’re rich and can afford to go to private rehab there’s not much provided for by the state. And no government could increase taxes to fund programmes for drug users, the public sadly just wouldn’t accept that.

Drugs are bad and the government should dissuade people from doing them…but like drinking and smoking the government should never ban the public from choosing what they do with their bodies.

It goes something like that anyway, it's not my job to think it all through. There just needs to be a rethink however because the current policy on drugs has failed.
  • Options
    I have a theory that the reason for much of the town centre binges on Friday and Saturday night is because going to pubs and bars is actually pretty boring without a drink. We should have more imaginative things to do.

one word, nihilism.
  • Options
    fair enough so you agree that alcohol and cigarettes should be made illegal yea??
    No, for the reasons above. It's not as simple as that. Prohibition is different from legalisation.

i am fully aware of the damage cannabis can do, i however am smart enough to know not to abuse it, there is a demand for drugs, humans take their own consequences into their own hands, if a person wants to do permanent damage to their head then it's their fault, normal people, like the majority of us will not.
    "Normal people" eh? Shall I let you in on a secret: there is no way of telling who will suffer mental ill-health from cannabis and who will be fine. Oh, and not everyone is "smart enough" to know what cannabis does because it is never mentioned by the pro-legalisation lobby.
  • Options
    Absolutely not because there is a fundamental difference between banning something and legalising something.
    I don't understand why. It makes no difference.

GHB was legal until last year. Did you support its banning, or did you oppose the move?
  • Options

"Normal people" eh? Shall I let you in on a secret: there is no way of telling who will suffer mental ill-health from cannabis and who will be fine. Oh, and not everyone is "smart enough" to know what cannabis does because it is never mentioned by the pro-legalisation lobby.

there is also no way of telling who will be an alcoholic, and in relation to your second comment, is that the drug users problem or the governments, most people know what the craic is and if you go out and take drugs without research then you're just stupid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    I can’t prove it, it’s a guess really. It just makes sense that something legalised where there’s no risk for the seller will be cheaper than something which is banned and carries big risks by being sold…
    That's the logical answer, but if you are now ensuring quality and imposing taxes then the actual cost doesn't go down but up. The only part of the cost you remove is the danger element.
    fund rehabilitation programmes...And no government could increase taxes to fund programmes for drug users, the public sadly just wouldn’t accept that.
    Again, so you want to use the tax revenue to pay for programmes to get people off the drugs you are selling to them? That doesn't make sense.

But I do agree that we need more rehab programmes now. Let's not give up, you and me, let's write to our MPs...and let them know that the public will accept it.
    Drugs are bad and the government should dissuade people from doing them…but like drinking and smoking the government should never ban the public from choosing what they do with their bodies.
    Another weak argument. What responsibility does the government have for public health in all of this. We as a society would be selling drugs to vulnerable people and would then have to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong and people get themselves into trouble.

And legalisation would amount to tacit approval of drugs, which simply isn't what I would want to see.
    It goes something like that anyway, it's not my job to think it all through. There just needs to be a rethink however because the current policy on drugs has failed.
    I agree that we aren't doing enough, but your proposal is worse imho.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I don't understand why. It makes no difference.

GHB was legal until last year. Did you support its banning, or did you oppose the move?
    It does make a difference when alcohol has become an integral part of our society, whether we like it or not.

And GHB is about to be licenced for "day time sleepiness", but ssshhhh ;)