Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What are you feelings right now towards Americans?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    freethepeeps, one of these days you might actually LISTEN to what people say. Not that I'm too optimistic.

If the Americans want a pay-system then they are entitled to it; they might be "wrong" in your eyes, but it's their choice. It's not like they don't know what the policies are.

And? That means it IS VERBOTEN TO DISCUSS? or what?

It becomes a problem when they deny that choice to other countries - then it is most certainly something that should be discussed ........
    Iraqis have more choice now than they did under Saddam Hussein. You might not agree with the candidates, but they will have the opportunity to choose their own leader.

Or do you think that Saddam is preferable to democracy, however young and tenuous it may be?

What choice have Iraqis got now that they didn't have before? Many don't even have the basic services that they had under Hussein.

And regime change is not grounds for the massacre of tens of thousands of civilians, after you've already killed a million and a half with sanctions that made Saddam stronger instead of weaker.

All hell has been let loose in Iraq, as Bush and Blair were warned it would be, and you're just coming up with fairy stories about how the west has HELPED Iraqis.

Perhaps you should listen to what people say as well, rather than pretending everything is hunky dorey in the rose garden.

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned

As for the NHS remark; do you realise how stupid you sound? America couldn’t give a damn what healthcare system we have. It’s irrelevant and doesn’t affect them.

Heh, its a laugh a minute here - the US agenda is the dismantling of social services, privatisation of essential services and they certainly do care what health systems other countries do or don't have.

And once again, bollocks did the Guardian win the election for the Republicans......
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps

If you actually did discuss something it'd be a start :thumb:

What choice have Iraqis got now that they didn't have before? Many don't even have the basic services that they had under Hussein.

And regime change is not grounds for the massacre of tens of thousands of civilians, after you've already killed a million and a half with sanctions that made Saddam stronger instead of weaker.

All hell has been let loose in Iraq, as Bush and Blair were warned it would be, and you're just coming up with fairy stories about how the west has HELPED Iraqis.

Perhaps you should listen to what people say as well, rather than pretending everything is hunky dorey in the rose garden.

missingthepoint.png
  • Options
    And once again, bollocks did the Guardian win the election for the Republicans......

I never said it did…but their little stunt got Bush more votes. Anyway there’s no point trying to discuss it with you. I can’t be bothered to keep repeating my point.
  • Options
    freethepeeps, one of these days you might actually LISTEN to what people say. Not that I'm too optimistic.

If the Americans want a pay-system then they are entitled to it; they might be "wrong" in your eyes, but it's their choice. It's not like they don't know what the policies are.

Iraqis have more choice now than they did under Saddam Hussein. You might not agree with the candidates, but they will have the opportunity to choose their own leader.

Or do you think that Saddam is preferable to democracy, however young and tenuous it may be?

It becomes a problem when they deny that choice to other countries - then it is most certainly something that should be discussed ........

;)
    If you actually did discuss something it'd be a start :thumb:

missingthepoint.png

I read the exchange again - I suggest you do.

The diagram means what exactly?
  • Options
    The diagram means what exactly?

lool.gif

What a joy to behold!

Even those who argue against EVERYTHING I post? Point to how clueless you truly are! :lol:

You are as much a unifying element to this site as was steelgate.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Actually, I think freethepeeps may have a valid point somewhere in there.

America (with coalition help) is invading various countries in the name of regime change (since all the other excuses turned out to be unfounded). In order to persuade the people of Iraq, Afghanistan etc that they do want democracy, America has to be a shining example of that political system. If it is true that 15% of Americans have inadequate access to healthcare then it is perfectly valid to use it as an argument against Americans imposing democracy on countries that do not necessarily want it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    If it is true that 15% of Americans have inadequate access to healthcare then it is perfectly valid to use it as an argument against Americans imposing democracy on countries that do not necessarily want it.

You don’t know the meaning of the word democracy.

de·moc·ra·cy
    1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    4. Majority rule.

Do you seriously think that adequate healthcare for all citizens is a requirement to be a democracy?

In America, as much as I personally disagree there isn’t adequate healthcare for all citizens. It’s an American issue and Americans obviously by the way they are voting don’t see adequate healthcare for all as a priority. Sure, you can disagree with the American notion towards healthcare but to imply that it is undemocratic is complete and utter nonsense.
  • Options
    In America, as much as I personally disagree there isn’t adequate healthcare for all citizens. It’s an American issue and Americans obviously by the way they are voting don’t see adequate healthcare for all as a priority.

When they force the same values onto other nations it is no longer just an American issue, it is an international issue.

:)
  • Options
    Do you seriously think that adequate healthcare for all citizens is a requirement to be a democracy?

In America, as much as I personally disagree there isn’t adequate healthcare for all citizens. It’s an American issue and Americans obviously by the way they are voting don’t see adequate healthcare for all as a priority. Sure, you can disagree with the American notion towards healthcare but to imply that it is undemocratic is complete and utter nonsense.
    My point, if you can actually understand it, was that America and its allies impose certain political ideologies on other countries when in fact they cannot even, under the banner of democracy, provide healthcare for a significant minority of the population. I wasn't suggesting that the fact that 15% of Americans are said to have inadequate access to healthcare makes America undemocratic, merely that democracy per se is not the panacea it is sometimes perceived to be.
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting that the fact that 15% of Americans are said to have inadequate access to healthcare makes America undemocratic, merely that democracy per se is not the panacea it is sometimes perceived to be.

That much is true.

But to argue that the US is "undemocratic" shows little or no understanding of the US political system. The people voted fopr a President who wants to maintain the economic status quo, we have no right to comment on that.

As for the US imposing itself on the rest of the world, it's almost a valid point. If you'd mentioned the hypocrisy of a democratic nation overthrowing democracy in Chile I could understand your point. But to mention Iraq in your point is rather stupid- the current situation in Iraq isn't what anybody wants, but to say that Saddam was preferable, and that the people don't want democracy is a bit simple. They want the right to rule themselves- democracy.
  • Options
    But to argue that the US is "undemocratic"
    I don't recall doing so. And we can comment on it, just like we can comment on Iraq. America is not immune to criticism just because we have a 'special relationship'.
    They want the right to rule themselves- democracy.
    Have you asked them? Democracy may seem to us to be preferable to Saddam, but a lot of Iraqis are less safe since the invasion. We've saved some from the threat of Saddam, whilst endangering others through the threat of insurgency.
  • Options
    I don't recall doing so. And we can comment on it, just like we can comment on Iraq. America is not immune to criticism just because we have a 'special relationship'.

Have you asked them? Democracy may seem to us to be preferable to Saddam, but a lot of Iraqis are less safe since the invasion. We've saved some from the threat of Saddam, whilst endangering others through the threat of insurgency.

you can argue that under a dictatorship most people dont notice any difference anyway - doesnt make it any more right
  • Options
    I don’t agree with America’s healthcare policy but it’s a domestic American issue. What makes you think that you as a non-American have the right to comment on issues that don’t remotely affect you? Americans don’t go around criticising other countries healthcare systems as inadequate so why do you?

Er... :confused:

Marv asked the following question:

"How can a country as rich and as powerful as the US allow 15% of its population to have inadequate health care???"

and I simply provided an answer.

Am I not allowed to answer questions or give my opinion on what happens abroad now?
  • Options
    you know, i've often wondered about that...not the safety thing, that's temporary, but about asking people whether democracy is preferable. is it the most optimum form of govt for all mankind, our "natural state", or are there some segments of mankind that HAVE to be controlled (africa and russia spring to mind :D ) with a strong, authoritarian, but just, gov't?

like you said, democracy seems preferable to us, but even trying to be objective and especially in the case of secular, educated iraq, it seems to me that democracy is still the preferable course of action. it's just whether democracy and happiness can be forced down someone's throat at the muzzle of a rifle...:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by hardcorps1775
    like you said, democracy seems preferable to us, but even trying to be objective and especially in the case of secular, educated iraq, it seems to me that democracy is still the preferable course of action. it's just whether democracy and happiness can be forced down someone's throat at the muzzle of a rifle...:)
    Indeed, the ultimate irony. I think you're right that democracy is preferable but enforced democracy is not really allowing Iraqis to govern themselves. I don't know why we are surprised by the insurgency happening at the moment. I don't think we'd like it if another country invaded, captured Tony Blair and started running the country through an alien form of government. Like it or not, Saddam had supporters in Iraq and no amount of general elections is going to change that.

ETA: OK, we might like it if Tony Blair was captured, but the rest would be pretty annoying ;)
  • Options
    My girlfriend bless her! Showed me a good site called Global Issues that Affect Anyone,

http://www.globalissues.org/

it has a document on it called why is America Hated in the Middle East?

It is an interesting read and gives some good reasons why America is not the favourite country in that part of the world.

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/MiddleEast/TerrorInUSA/Why.asp
  • Options
    I like Americans who live in blue states like mine.

And the places where people who died on 9/11 had lived...all voted for Kerry. Every one of them. Not that I'm saying Bush is bad. I don't know him at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bluestatesman

And the places where people who died on 9/11 had lived...all voted for Kerry. Every one of them. Not that I'm saying Bush is bad. I don't know him at all.

Yeh but the states who returned Kerry votes didn't entirely vote for him, some voted for Bush, just not as many. You do know that don't you?

Also, what about people who live in states that returned Bush as their candidate but personally voted for Kerry? Do you like them?
  • Options
    Bluestatesman

Howdy, I live in a Red State.

I am sorry you do not like me.

But that’s ok I’m too dumb to feel bad about it. Since, I’m not real educated in anything but Jesus and Jesus says love everyone. I know Jesus real good. Well, Jesus and guns.

When you are fixin’ to argue agin me and my mine please use those analogy thingies, I understand them real good. If you use farm animals it makes things real easy. I like chickens and ducks.
  • Options
    freethepeeps
    Erm, you're saying the whole American Hispanic community voted for Bush? What a load of nonsense.......

No, I am not. But you make my point, 45% did and you're willing to throw them all under the bus because they don't agree with you.

Where is your tolerance for their opinions????
  • Options
    Re: freethepeeps
    Originally posted by Bandito
    No, I am not. But you make my point, 45% did and you're willing to throw them all under the bus because they don't agree with you.

Where is your tolerance for their opinions????

Tolerance is of course one of the charateristics most associated with the GOP :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think we've established that Hispanic people aren't gentically programmed to vote one way or the other - so your point was what exactly caller?

:confused:
  • Options
    Re: Bluestatesman
    Originally posted by Bandito
    Howdy, I live in a Red State.

I am sorry you do not like me.

But that’s ok I’m too dumb to feel bad about it. Since, I’m not real educated in anything but Jesus and Jesus says love everyone. I know Jesus real good. Well, Jesus and guns.

When you are fixin’ to argue agin me and my mine please use those analogy thingies, I understand them real good. If you use farm animals it makes things real easy. I like chickens and ducks.

:lol: classic, almost sprayed cheap red wine on the pc!
  • Options
    If you compare the red states to the Confederate states...there's a match.

Of course there's good people all over. But in the Blue states we seem to remember that we have separation of church and state in the US...and I like that.
  • Options
    freethepeeps
    Anyways, I think we've established that Hispanic people aren't gentically programmed to vote one way or the other - so your point was what exactly caller?

My point is that a lot of people from a multitude of backgrounds and groups came out and supported our President on November 2nd. Without any one of those groups the election results may have been different.

Therefore, in my view it is moronic to say that the only reason Bush won was because of a bunch of stupid religious zealots coming out of the wood work and casting ballots for the GOP. Furthermore, to label all Bush supports as such is equally absurd.
  • Options
    that's true bandito...but you have to admit...on t.v. the republicans seemed to be claiming patriotism and morality.

Like in school all I asked was: why are we in Iraq? It was a question...and omg. People started with the people are dying for my freedoms and you can't support them and what are we gonna wait to get hit again...all I asked was why Iraq? Al Qaeda was all over Indosnesia...I think more so than Iraq. And now what...do we go on to Iran? Syria? I do hope a Muslim democracy does work in Iraq. But if that would benefit the world...why should the blood of a few nations do it. Plus, I have friends who don't belong to any ogranized religion and they're very honest and kind and all those things. I even have a Muslim friend. :naughty: