Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Class

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Ive been there, done that and got the t-shirt, I never had money but came from a decent part of town thank you. Im not bright, but im not stoopid and take offence at what you have written.
    Why are you taking offence at this? :confused:

If intelligence doesn't affect class, how would you explain low achievement and worse opportunities in life for those in the scenario described?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    The means of production? What century are you living in? It's not that simple any more (if it ever was).

The 21st. You?

Of course, it's a tad more complex than that, but it's a good starting point.
    Look up "surplus value" sometime.
  • Options

If intelligence doesn't affect class, how would you explain low achievement and worse opportunities in life for those in the scenario described?

Oh dear. :(
  • Options

oh please dont make me go there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    The 21st. You?

Of course, it's a tad more complex than that, but it's a good starting point.
    Look up "surplus value" sometime.
    Surplus value, if i understand the Marxist theory correctly states that the workers are effectively exploited by the capitalist employers because they are not rewarded the true value of their labour. Interesting stuff, but I don't see the relevance to the class debate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    And there was me thinking you lived in the real world.

BTW, I'm not suggesting (and nor was Fiend) that working class people are stupid and middle class people are intelligent. I'm not suggesting that intelligence is enough to allow someone equal opportunities. I am saying that low intelligence can explain why there is an 'underclass'.
  • Options
    And there was me thinking you lived in the real world.

BTW, I'm not suggesting (and nor was Fiend) that working class people are stupid and middle class people are intelligent. I'm not suggesting that intelligence is enough to allow someone equal opportunities. I am saying that low intelligence can explain why there is an 'underclass'.

• Options
    What i took offence at was
    Take lower/working class. You don't have much money, you live in a crap area of town, you go to a bad school, your parents probably aren't very bright and neither are you. So you the patern continues, you don't have much money because you weren't very bright, went to a bad school and your kids aren't so bright either. Blah...blah...blah...fucking blah!

Circumstances can sudenly change overnight for some people.....like it did for me.
    Just because I have or had no money does not give anyone the right to make out i am stoopid.
    My parents never had lots of money but we always had food on the table and there were 5 kids in total at home. Both parents worked and my Father working long hours to support us, he did very hard manual hard work to support us.

Whilst im on people like yourself may be very well educated......I dont know but put you in a job where you worked 12 hours solid, doing grafting hard work and you couldnt hack it.
  • Options
    is it not obvious that there's a conflict in the definition of class in this board, both have a point.
  • Options

My parents never had lots of money but we always had food on the table and there were 5 kids in total at home. Both parents worked and my Father working long hours to support us, he did very hard manual hard work to support us.

alot like my life now, i'd consider myself to be from a working class background, does that title have to stick with me for the rest of my life, i could be a multi millionaire entrepeneur in 10 years time but i've still lived in a working class background, i know what it's like, money, jobs etc has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    money, jobs etc has nothing to do with it.

Marvellous !!!

So, remind us what class is then please :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    What? Make a point or stfu.
  • Options
    Marvellous !!!

So, remind us what class is then please :)

it wasnt a general comment, yea poor/working class rich/upper class blah bla bla, i'm saying, you can still claim to be working class if you have a good job and are rich, it's the social condition you were brought up in, therefore, you can technically be working and upper class at the same time.
  • Options
    Circumstances can sudenly change overnight for some people.....like it did for me.
    Just because I have or had no money does not give anyone the right to make out i am stoopid.
    There was no intended implication that working class people are stupid. It was just a comment on working class. And just because someone is less intelligent doesn't make them worth less than a bright spark. You have to accept that not everyone is intelligent.
    Whilst im on people like yourself may be very well educated......I dont know but put you in a job where you worked 12 hours solid, doing grafting hard work and you couldnt hack it.
    Uh-huh. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    There was no intended implication that working class people are stupid.

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

I beg to differ
    your parents probably aren't very bright and neither are you.
    I have to say this wasnt said by you.

Uh-huh :rolleyes:
    Whats your problem with what i said ?
  • Options
    I beg to differ
    Well you've obviously misunderstood the point and taken it out of context.
    Whats your problem with what i said ?
    Saying that someone with an education is incapable of 'grafting' for 12 hours is just as offensive as saying that someone who grafts for 12 hours isn't very bright.
  • Options

Saying that someone with an education is incapable of 'grafting' for 12 hours is just as offensive as saying that someone who grafts for 12 hours isn't very bright.

Come on, yes I didnt say 'hard' graft but I think you knew what I mant by grafting. Im talking sweating your bollocks of with hard graft.

I dont think I misunderstood the point neither.
  • Options
    Come on, yes I didnt say 'hard' graft but I think you knew what I mant by grafting. Im talking sweating your bollocks of with hard graft.
    What are you trying to say? That people who have an education suddenly lose the ability to do manual labour? :confused:
  • Options

A 12 hour shift as a doctor might be different to manual labour, but I'd consider that bloody hard work.
  • Options
    therefore, you can technically be working and upper class at the same time.

So they're the same thing?

:confused:
  • Options
    What are you trying to say? That people who have an education suddenly lose the ability to do manual labour? :confused:

How often do you see a upper class person working in a factory, working 12 hours and when I say 'work' I mean 'work' ?

Dont act confused because you know exactly what i mean.
  • Options
    So they're the same thing?

:confused:

why are you putting words in my mouth, i hate people like that not saying i hate you but takin one thing and makin it another is stupid, read the post again, i never said they were the same, i said technically you can be both, mentally have a working class mind and brain but be upper class in what society views you as, i.e havin good job, money, good education etc.
  • Options
    why are you putting words in my mouth,

He does that with everyone....your not special :D

im off to me pit, tara :)
  • Options
    How often do you see a upper class person working in a factory, working 12 hours and when I say 'work' I mean 'work' ?

Dont act confused because you know exactly what i mean.
    I am confused because you have no justification for what you are saying.

The reason you don't see an 'upper class' person working in a factory is because they are likely to have an education that provides them with a choice not to do so. They are qualified to do other jobs that are better paid and less physically demanding, and so don't need to do manual jobs. But you cannot possibly stand by your assertion that the middle classes are incapable of 'hard work'. That simply isn't true.
  • Options
    why are you putting words in my mouth, i hate people like that not saying i hate you but takin one thing and makin it another is stupid, read the post again, i never said they were the same, i said technically you can be both, mentally have a working class mind and brain but be upper class in what society views you as, i.e havin good job, money, good education etc.

So, your perception can be that you're a member of one class, when actually you're a member of another?

Okay, thats different to both the statements about it being nothing to do with jobs or money, and about being working class and upper class at the same time.

I personally, think that this social mobility is elusive for most people - and I think class is more than just a state of mind.

On a global level, we are a part of the elite - but within this society there clearly is still a working class and a ruling class. The middle class issue is what seems to get everyone confused .........
  • Options
    Perhaps you are being a little subjective here turnlough...And what class would you wish to put me in

A ruler or a participant

There are only two glasses if anyone can see :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Perhaps you are being a little subjective here turnlough...And what class would you wish to put me in

A ruler or a participant

There are only two glasses if anyone can see :)

i'm being the opposite in fact, class can only ever be defined by what class is percieved as, my theory is that although there are obvious boundaries and conditions for a class to be defined, you don't always have to be restricted to one type, i would never say he's definately lower class or whatever, you are what you are, full stop.
  • Options
    i'm being the opposite in fact, class can only ever be defined by what class is percieved as, my theory is that although there are obvious boundaries and conditions for a class to be defined, you don't always have to be restricted to one type, i would never say he's definately lower class or whatever, you are what you are, full stop.
    Classless...:D
  • Options
    You are what you are is the correct way to put this.

But there is the steroptypical view of different classes in society, nothing will change that. Others are always going to be less off than others, other people richer, there's always going to be a difference gap between people of different backgrounds.

Everyone can't be the same can we? There's got to be a boundary somewhere in society to define the different sort of people that live today, and there is and that's what is so fucked up about it all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    You are what you are is the correct way to put this.

But there is the steroptypical view of different classes in society, nothing will change that. Others are always going to be less off than others, other people richer, there's always going to be a difference gap between people of different backgrounds.

Everyone can't be the same can we? There's got to be a boundary somewhere in society to define the different sort of people that live today, and there is and that's what is so fucked up about it all.
    Yeah.. but that's the nature of capitalism is it not?