Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Class

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there a working class in this country any more?

Is Britain a classless meritocracy?

Comments

• Options
    i think that what you rise to is more important than where you came from. it doesn't mean there's no 'class' system though
  • Options
    Re: Class
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Is there a working class in this country any more?

Is Britain a classless meritocracy?
    How can Britain be thought of as being classless?

In what sense?
  • Options
    OK. So are "working class" people always described such or is there a way of changing class?

I think most people who claim to be working class, aren't. In fact, I'd argue that there isn't a working class in this country. There may well be an underclass...
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    How can Britain be thought of as being classless?

In what sense?
    In the sense of not having a class system.
  • Options

In the sense of not having a class system.

Having spent the last month trying to sort out a school for Junior peeps, let me assure you that the class system is alive and well in 21st century Britain.

:)
  • Options
    OK. So are "working class" people always described such or is there a way of changing class?

I think most people who claim to be working class, aren't. In fact, I'd argue that there isn't a working class in this country. There may well be an underclass...

In the way that they don't 'work' and claim benefits? In fact, what would be the equivalent now? Till girls and binmen? Or is it defined by income?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    In the way that they don't 'work' and claim benefits?

Yes, in a word. Working class would be a misnomer in that case.
    In fact, what would be the equivalent now? Till girls and binmen? Or is it defined by income?
    I don't think class can be defined by income alone, although that clearly plays a part. For example, someone like John Prescott who is from a 'working class' background. He's done working class jobs but now earns over £100,000 as a govt minister. He probably describes himself as working class, but there is no way his children could claim to be.

Till girls and binmen aren't necessarily working class but may well be.

Freethepeeps, what did your experience tell you about the class system in this country?
  • Options
    There may well be an underclass...
    Like the untermenchan perhaps?
  • Options

Being "working class" seems to be something quite a few people are aspiring to these days. :confused:

I'm not sure about a class divide.
    It seems to me that intelligence and determination are far more important than your background
  • Options

Freethepeeps, what did your experience tell you about the class system in this country? [/B]

That if you're middle class your kids will almost certainly get better educational opportunities, and better jobs, and better educational opportunities for their kids ............

:p
  • Options
    Do you regard the 'under class' as not being worthy Kentish?
  • Options
    I don't think class can be defined by income alone, although that clearly plays a part. For example, someone like John Prescott who is from a 'working class' background. He's done working class jobs but now earns over £100,000 as a govt minister. He probably describes himself as working class, but there is no way his children could claim to be.[/B]

It has a lot to do with it though. Otherwise Prescott's children would be working class like their father. That's how it works.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaCN
    Being "working class" seems to be something quite a few people are aspiring to these days. :confused:

I think people like to claim that they had it tough but now they've 'made it'.
    I'm not sure about a class divide.
    It seems to me that intelligence and determination are far more important than your background
    Sure, but is intelligence inherited? And determination and ambition have to come from somewhere. If lofty aspirations are suggested and/or encouraged by 'middle class' parents then presumably 'working class' kids are disadvantaged, and can never prove their worth.
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    That if you're middle class your kids will almost certainly get better educational opportunities, and better jobs, and better educational opportunities for their kids ............

That's hardly new. Why do you think that is?
    Do you regard the 'under class' as not being worthy Kentish?

That wasn't what I meant. I think it is this 'underclass' is neglected by our society and pretty much abandoned to continue the cycle of deprivation.
  • Options
    It has a lot to do with it though. Otherwise Prescott's children would be working class like their father. That's how it works.
    I suppose. But if income is the main criterion, where is the cut off? Does one have to own a house to be middle class? Are there patterns of behaviour that define class?
  • Options

That wasn't what I meant. I think it is this 'underclass' is neglected by our society and pretty much abandoned to continue the cycle of deprivation. [/B]
    So what would be your solution to this problem Kentish?
  • Options
    I suppose. But if income is the main criterion, where is the cut off? Does one have to own a house to be middle class? Are there patterns of behaviour that define class?

It's probably easy enough to point out generally the working/middle classes, simply because of where they live in towns. The upper class is harder to distinguish though I think.
  • Options
    So what would be your solution to this problem Kentish?
    Golly gosh, the situation is too complex to solve witha soundbite from me.

What do you think about class?
  • Options
    It's probably easy enough to point out generally the working/middle classes, simply because of where they live in towns.

OK, but can you spot someone from a working class background in the High Street?
    The upper class is harder to distinguish though I think.
    I don't think we've had a true upper class for years. Celebrity is the new aristocracy.
  • Options
    Golly gosh, the situation is too complex to solve witha soundbite from me.

What do you think about class?
    Me?!

I think there are two classes...those who rule...and those who don't

What about yourself
  • Options
    I think there are two classes...those who rule...and those who don't
    What does that mean?
  • Options
    Celebrity is the new aristocracy. [/B]
    I'm gonna send that one into Private Eye :D
  • Options
    What does that mean?
    It means that in the great scheme of things that you have not got a jackshit in hell of dictating to those who rule above you

...meritocracy is it not??
  • Options

OK, but can you spot someone from a working class background in the High Street?

I don't think we've had a true upper class for years. Celebrity is the new aristocracy.

In the High street, you could probably make an educated guess. People dressing/walking/talking a certain way are mor likely to be from one background than another. Most people would correctly guess from my accent and turn of phrase that I'm middle class, they wouldn't know however, that I grew up within 100m of the roughest council estate in town.
  • Options

I think people like to claim that they had it tough but now they've 'made it'.[/b]

Yep :)
    Sure, but is intelligence inherited? And determination and ambition have to come from somewhere. If lofty aspirations are suggested and/or encouraged by 'middle class' parents then presumably 'working class' kids are disadvantaged, and can never prove their worth.

I do wonder about this.
    The people at the university I attend seem to come from quite a mix of backgrounds.

I've often thought "what am I doing here?", because neither of my parents stayed at school past their o-levels. Although I can probably place most of the blame...err, thanks ;) on my college tutor making me apply.
  • Options
    Perhaps it's a little bit like the Caste system that we see over in India
  • Options
    That's hardly new. Why do you think that is?

Rather surprisingly, I think its down to the class structure perpetuating itself ...........

What class are the people who clean stations and sell McShite?

:confused:
  • Options
    In the High street, you could probably make an educated guess. People dressing/walking/talking a certain way are mor likely to be from one background than another. Most people would correctly guess from my accent and turn of phrase that I'm middle class, they wouldn't know however, that I grew up within 100m of the roughest council estate in town.
    It's very interesting that you added that last bit. Middle class people get very defensive about their background and relative privilege.

Dressing/walking/talking in a certain way - so there is something more to class than money. Why do you think people dress/walk/talk in certain ways depending on their class.
  • Options
    Rather surprisingly, I think its down to the class structure perpetuating itself ...........

What class are the people who clean stations and sell McShite?

:confused:
    Oooh...good question :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaCN
    I've often thought "what am I doing here?", because neither of my parents stayed at school past their o-levels. Although I can probably place most of the blame...err, thanks ;) on my college tutor making me apply.
    My mum was the same. She comes from a 'working class' family in Lancashire, but she went to the local grammar school and ended up at Oxford. It was her school that encouraged it, and was not something my grandparents would have suggested. Now I can't claim to be anything but middle class, despite my anscestry.
  • Options
    Is someone using the ignore button here :)
  • Options
    Explain.