Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dirty Harry

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kentish
    The monarchy is a net benefit to the country, on tourism alone.

I've yet to see any convincing evidence of this "fact".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    :chin:
  • Options

7 to 10 billion pounds a year not evedence for you then.

No one comes to this country to get a sun tan.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    7 to 10 billion pounds a year not evedence for you then.

No one comes to this country to get a sun tan.

That's not a convincing argument. People don't come here and actually see the Queen. They see Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, the changing of the guard. None of which require us to have a royal family.
  • Options
    So you admit they come here to see history that revolves around the Royal Family, yes.

Well one of the reasons they want to see Buckingham palace is because its the residence of the most famous and widly regognised monach in the world, (by a long way) If it was just an old palace it wouldne recieve the same attention.
    Even if only 10% less tourists came we'd still make a profit of the Royals.

If you go to anywhere in the world and say "the Queen" they wil all think of England, she's still in power is still the monach.

Dont tell me thats not a draw to tourists, especialy americans.
  • Options
    You have no evidence for any of that. I rather think that people would come anyway, regardless if we had a royal family or not.
  • Options
    You have no evidence for any of that. I rather think that people would come anyway, regardless if we had a royal family or not.
    Why would we maintain all the royal residences if we had no royal family?

Tourists come to see the changing of the guard and trooping of the colour because they are guarding the queen, not just for the spectacle.
  • Options
    What's the betting that the paparazzi guy said something along the lines of?

"How did the art exam go?"

These people are deliberately out to get a reaction from these "celebrities"

I don’t agree with the monarchy but I certainly despise the tabloid press more then I do the royal family.

Also I don’t think Harry has a great love for the paparazzi anyway from the treatment his mother received from them.
  • Options
    If it was just an old palace it wouldne recieve the same attention.

Hmmmm, youll have to go explain that to the Frnch about Versailles then. Im sure theyre truly puzzled over the volume of continual tourist visitations to that empty vestige of French imperialist history.
  • Options
    Photographers like that deserve that kind of treatment, they are leeches, they are the bottom feeders of the journalism world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum

If you go to anywhere in the world and say "the Queen" they wil all think of England, she's still in power is still the monach.

Not true. But that's a minor point.

Either way, as it would be for tourists coming to Denmark for the first time, they all go to see the royal residence and guards, but if they choose to return they wouldn't even glance at it.

As you say though. Americans who don't have the custom of travelling to Europe every summer or so, but rather once in a blue-moon would be very excited about the Royals.
  • Options
    Why would we maintain all the royal residences if we had no royal family?

Why do we maintain the Tower of London?
    Tourists come to see the changing of the guard and trooping of the colour because they are guarding the queen, not just for the spectacle.

The changing of the guard and trooping the colour are pure spectacle, they have fuck all to do with guarding the queen. That's the job of the Royal Protection Group.
  • Options
    To prove for certain what kind of effect exactly removing the Royal Family would have on number of tourists would be near impossible. However we can have educated guesses, and my educated guess is that the number of tourists affected would be next to fuck all.

To be frank, to suggest that the millions people who come here would cease to do so if the Royal Family was removed is completely absurd.

I deal with American tourists practically every day; many talk about how beatiful Britain is and how they love coming here. Not a single one, in 10 years of dealing with them, mentions the royals as their main reason for coming here. They talk about the English countryside. They talk about antique-hunting; about the land of Shakespeare; about the London museums; about the black cabs and red phone boxes; about afternoon tea and Harrods. But most of them don't mention the royals at all.

Interesting fact number one: France gets more tourists than we do, despite their lack of royalty.

Interesting fact number two: the top two tourist attractions in this country are (or at least were recently) the London Eye and the Tower of London. Not a bleeding royal on sight in either place.
  • Options
    and north wales is full of french germans japs yanks etc etc ...for the scenery.
  • Options
    And perhaps a go at the much touted sheepshagging? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    a bleeding royal on sight in either place.

Now there's an idea...

guillotine.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    And perhaps a go at the much touted sheepshagging? ;)
    mmm ...a money making idea if ever i heard one. after canooing and climbing ...a few drinks ...settle down by a log fire with the velcro ...mmm.
  • Options
    Now there's an idea...

guillotine.jpg
    good idea blag ...if we held a special anual event ...one royal a year ...millions would flock to see it ...for the next 200 years!
  • Options
    Sounds like youve got hold of a neat little niche market money maker there MR! ;)

Put up a little hovel on the farm and call it the Welsh Love Shack! 10 quid per half hour.
  • Options
    I agree, that is the rational thing to do when you have time to think about it. When someone's flashing a camera in your face and you're half pissed up at 3am, I think Harry's chosen method of dealing with the papparazzi would be my choice too.

If you cant handle drink and it makes you violent then its time to stop drinking alcohol......in my opinion.

and if you attacked someone then you also would deserve to be nicked. Because he is 'famous' nowts gonna happen but if he was Joe Public in the street then he'd have been nicked.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    If you cant handle drink and it makes you violent then its time to stop drinking alcohol......in my opinion.

and if you attacked someone then you also would deserve to be nicked. Because he is 'famous' nowts gonna happen but if he was Joe Public in the street then he'd have been nicked.

I'd like to see you get stalked by a cameraman, after your mother had died in a car crash caused by a stalking cameraman, and not lose your temper with them.

The only thing harry did wrong is not hitting the cunt harder.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I'd like to see you get stalked by a cameraman, after your mother had died in a car crash caused by a stalking cameraman, and not lose your temper with them.

The only thing harry did wrong is not hitting the cunt harder.

We aint talking about me.

This photographer, tell me what he did to him ? The photographer was doing his job wether anyone here likes it or not. Its a fella going out to work and getting paid to do his job.

Im not saying i wouldnt be pissed off, what im saying is Harry commited an offence......get him charged like you or I would be.
  • Options
    This photographer, tell me what he did to him ? The photographer was doing his job wether anyone here likes it or not. Its a fella going out to work and getting paid to do his job.

same as a drug dealer who sells to kid hes only earning money aint he........ :rolleyes:

so someoone following your every movement and purposely provoking you too is fine as long asthey aint a stalker, which to alll intensive purposes they are IMO
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    same as a drug dealer who sells to kid hes only earning money aint he........ :rolleyes:

so someoone following your every movement and purposely provoking you too is fine as long asthey aint a stalker, which to alll intensive purposes they are IMO

Drugs.......wtf are you waffling about . ffs stop changing the debate. We are talking Harry here not drugs and not myself....ok.

You are missing my point totally.
  • Options
    Drugs.......wtf are you waffling about . ffs stop changing the debate. We are talking Harry here not drugs and not myself....ok.

Theory is the same. In this case the end doesn' justify the means.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

He's only human same as the rest of us.
    It's a shame Harry didn't twat the bloke harder.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    He's only human same as the rest of us.

Then treat him like you or i would be treated if we commited the same thing.
  • Options
    Then treat him like you or i would be treated if we commited the same thing.

Most people don't get arrested or whatever for this sort of thing. I mean he barely touched him.
  • Options
    If someone shoved a camera right into my face I’d do the same. Good on Harry, though maybe he should get the bodyguard to do it next time (and a bit harder) then it doesn’t reflect as badly on the Prince.
  • Options
    I think I can understand his anger...his mother was perhaps chased by the papparazzi at some point in her life

Apart from that...

fuck royalty

:)