Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

i need it real bad!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    but it isn't that fucking cheap.. jesus.. as much as expecting a tip is wrong you can't blame her,

people over hear earning £4+ an hour shes on £1.40 I don't blame her for expecting a tip, it's not like she wants it, she needs it,

Look, really, I don't care. You more to the point change position more than... a really changy thing.

There is a minimum wage in the states, she could try asking for it. I really don't appreiciate someone thinking that a tip is something to be relied on. Needed or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85

ETA: Shit job, change it.

I hate people who say that. And I mean hate.

"Ohhh you need to change your job if it makes you unhappy! It's just THAT easy to do, you won't miss people from there at all, and we all know a) how much fun it is starting a new job, and b) how easy it is finding a new job!"

Fuck that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    I hate people who say that. And I mean hate.

"Ohhh you need to change your job if it makes you unhappy! It's just THAT easy to do, you won't miss people from there at all, and we all know a) how much fun it is starting a new job, and b) how easy it is finding a new job!"

Fuck that.

I didn't say it was easy. Or that she's got a lot of choice, but if you've got no choice then you're really not in a place to complain about it. But if she thinks she should get better than she'd better get on and do it.
  • Options

There is a minimum wage in the states, she could try asking for it. I really don't appreiciate someone thinking that a tip is something to be relied on. Needed or not.

But that's the way it is over there, and she was pissed off because she does happen to rely on it.

A few high horses in this thread I see. If I was a waiter and half you lot were in the restraunt, I'd have oh so much fun in spitting greeners in your main course :thumb:
  • Options
    Shut up. It's called cost of living, it's actually cheaper over there than here.

ETA: Shit job, change it.

Fuck off. Yeah i know its cheaper - I am living there but £1.40 an hour - its cheaper its not fucking Thailand!

ETA: The wages are bad but its a culture where people always tip (which means as you quite obviously don't want to take this point in you'd rather jump on the bandwagon and call her greedy - people expect tips . . . not because they're greedy oor conceited or the devil himself . . . because they always have done in the past, because all they're firiends get tips and always have done, because they always tip!)

Try to open you're mind slightly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    But that's the way it is over there, and she was pissed off because she does happen to rely on it.

A few high horses in this thread I see. If I was a waiter and half you lot were in the restraunt, I'd have oh so much fun in spitting greeners in your main course ;thumb:

Well I'm sure that us 'high horssers' would really enjoy getting waitresses with Angel's attitude fired.

Like I said, I don't care, it's a tip, a courtesy, gratuity, not guarenteed. Not something that can be assumed upon.
  • Options
    Well I'm sure that us 'high horssers' would really enjoy getting waitresses with Angel's attitude fired.

Like I said, I don't care, it's a tip, a courtesy, gratuity, not guarenteed. Not something that can be assumed upon.

None of us know how she serves though. She could be a good waitress who deserves the tip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    None of us know how she serves though. She could be a good waitress who deserves the tip.

Absolutly, and as I've posted if she deserves it she'll get it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    people expect tips . . . not because they're greedy oor conceited or the devil himself . . . because they always have done in the past, because all they're firiends get tips and always have done, because they always tip!)

:banghead:
  • Options

Are you doing this deliberatley?

She lives in America. Now in America, it would seem that the American public are more liberal with tipping than we are, and that's the general consensus. That's the way Americans do things, and that's what Angel will have been brought up with. She probably doesn't know any different.

We live in the UK. Now in the UK, we tend to be much less liberal with tipping than they are, and it's probably less common for us to tip, and if we do tip, it'll probably be less. That's the way we do things, and that's what we've been brought up with. We don't really know any different.

Hence, it's not Angel with the "attitude", it's the workplace environment that she's been brought up in that's the "problem".

Not that it's a bad thing, it's just different attitudes in different countries. They're more willing to tip, and tipping makes up most of her wages. So she's gonna be pissed off if she has a bad night, the same in any workplace where you get performance related pay.

Yes?
  • Options

I wasn't saying that to agree with you about the tipping, I was saying that to say that you have no basis to get at her over her apparent "attitude".

You cannot compare the English and US tipping systems, they are based around different premises.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Well yes.. I mean I like 5min to sit and talk before being asked what to eat, like she said..:rolleyes: it's when you've had 2min to sit down and they come ask for your order, that pisses me off

That's a three minute difference. Is it REALLY that much? And can you not talk while the waiter/waitress is stood there? Do you work for MI5?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    That's a three minute difference. Is it REALLY that much? And can you not talk while the waiter/waitress is stood there? Do you work for MI5?

Yup, and also - how the fuck are the waiters supposed to know whether you "like 5 minutes to chat" first or not?

"As part of your training, we're sending you on a mind reading course for a week!"

This is what I mean by fucking jumped up customers, really.
  • Options
    I'd like to point out that you seem to have the impression that I have no respect for whoever is serving me. I don't care if they're paid to do it there's never an excuse for me to be rude to them. I treat them with courtesy and respect, I just really don't like people to assume they deserve a tip.
  • Options
    It's dead easy to please me, get me a table quickly, get me a menu. Get me a glass of water and then fuck off for 5 mins while I choose a drink with my friends. Come back, get the drinks, fuck off. 5 mins check if we're ready to order, pay attention, if it's blatant that we're not then leave us alone. Get the food, when my glass is empty and not before ask if I want another drink. Only ask if everything is ok ONCE, cos if it's really wrong I'll let you know about it. Don't try and talk to me when i've taken a mouthful of steak. Sort desert or not, if I want the bill just get it.
    :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

[Couldn't find a round of applause smilie]

Can I take you out to dinner?
  • Options
    I'd like to point out that you seem to have the impression that I have no respect for whoever is serving me. I don't care if they're paid to do it there's never an excuse for me to be rude to them. I treat them with courtesy and respect, I just really don't like people to assume they deserve a tip.

i'd like to point out that this whole time you've had the impression that i'm some greedy bitch, but i don't do things particularly for tips.. my job is to ensure that you have the best experience.. so yes, i feel that i should get tipped because i worked hard for you, i did everything in my ability to make it the most pleasurable dining experience for you.. however i did not do those things for a tip...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

Can I take you out to dinner?

:D Class.
  • Options

...or anyone who dares to suggest otherwise.

Whatever, i think you've been rude and ignorant. Poor girl was only asking for a bit of sympathy.

And i notice how much your attitude changes when then general consesus isn't behind you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    ...or anyone who dares to suggest otherwise.

Whatever, i think you've been rude and ignorant. Poor girl was only asking for a bit of sympathy.

And i notice how much your attitude changes when then general consesus isn't behind you.

Not really. My attitude is the same as it was. I don't need consensus.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    but see there are things that you do to be a good waitress.. not necessarily for the tips..

b/c the company i work for has things called "shoppers" and they come into your restaurant randomly and you don't know that they're shoppers and they look for about a million things..

In the UK We call those Mystery Shoppers.

Anyway here are some positive suggestions..

Maybe you can have a word to your boss about the delays in the kitchen orders, maybe they need more staff in there. If no one tells the boss then they might not even know there is a problem.

Also from a customer's point of view the worst thing about waiting is not knowing .. i.e. not knowing if they've simply forgotten about you, if there is justa small delay, etc When things are running slow have you tried going to the tabe and reassuring customer they've not been forgotten?

I went to one place and when they take your order they give you like cheese and cracker things and you become occuplied cutting it yourself, buttering it, etc, it helps the custoemrto pass the time whilst they wait for the main meal.

Maybe your place could give a small bowl of peanuts, chis or pop corn?.. something to munch on whilst the main meal is on it's way??
  • Options
    I do think that bitching about a $10 tip is greedy. That's £6 extra, just for doing your job.

If customers are harrassing you, you should complain to your manager. You don't have to put up with leches.
  • Options
    I think your all being way too hard on her, she's doing a hard job in a country with no medical care and no dole like we have here.

She is entitled to bitch about it, and if you get tips every day and thats counted as part of yor wages, and one day you dont get so many tips, so youv worked the day for below minimum wage I think most people here would bitch about it I certainly fuckin would.

the minimum wage is only i think 5$ an hour you try living off that.

as for abuse and "reporting it to her boss" yeah right unfortunatly thats life you have to put upwith it, reporting it would probably get her marked as a complainer.

If your working at a place you cant report and complain about everything that you "shouldne have to put up with" be it unpaid overtime abuse by customers or the boss, their only interested in making profits andf their not going to like a waitress whos always complaining, they like waitress who serve the customers pocket their tips and shut the fuck up.
  • Options
    They do have social security there. USA is hardly a 3rd world country like you are making it out to be!

If she's entitled to bitch on a message board, then everyone reading is entitled to respond.

I have worked as a waitress and you don't have to put up with shit treatment. It's not a particularly hard job - being a nurse is a hard job. I do earn minimum wage, with no tips, and I don't whinge about it, when I took the job I knew about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I do earn minimum wage, with no tips, and I don't whinge about it,

She earns LESS than minimum wage.
  • Options
    Social Security pays for the basic medicare program, and that's about it really. If you want decent healthcare, you need insurance, which can be really expensive. My friend was hurt in an accident, and had no insurance, and ended up in a lot of debt because of the hospital bills. Some jobs in America aren't covered by the minimum wage policy, because the assumption is that the shortfall is made up with tips. Tipping really is a part of eating out in the States, and everytime I went out for dinner we always figured out what 10% of the total was for tips. When I went to Canada, it's even worse, cos you tip in bars as well! I think people are being hard on her. The wages are shit, she worked her ass off for the day, and didn't get much tippage for it. Muchos sympathy.
  • Options
    Your friend should have had insurance, I thought it was illegal to go to the USA with no insurance.

Yeah, so bb gets less than minimum wage. Generally, her tips more than make up for that. She was complaining about only getting £26 in tips. That plus her wages (£12.50) = £38.50. Works out as more than minimum wage in the UK. And that's on a bad night.

I earn around the same as this girl, usually less from the sounds of her tips, and I don't whinge about it.
  • Options
    Nope, not illegal. Very few people can afford it tbh. It can get very expensive. She earns maybe £1.50 an hour, and then tips. For an 8.5 hour shift, she earns less than £4.80. The minimum wage is £4.85 an hour, so she makes most of her wages by tips. Of course she's gonna rant if she doesn't get her tips, especially if the service she provided was good. At least in Britain you're guaranteed to get the minimum rate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Nope, not illegal. Very few people can afford it tbh. It can get very expensive. She earns maybe £1.50 an hour, and then tips. For an 8.5 hour shift, she earns less than £4.80. The minimum wage is £4.85 an hour, so she makes most of her wages by tips.

The minimum wage is actually £4.10 for workers under 22.

"For an 8.5 hour shift, she earns less than £4.80."

This makes no sense.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

applause.gif

Is this what you're looking for?

I think some of you are being deliberately obtuse in missing the point that it's a cultural difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    The minimum wage is actually £4.10 for workers under 22.

Granted, I never checked what age she was, but that makes no odds that without tips, she earns about £1.50 an hour.
    "For an 8.5 hour shift, she earns less than £4.80."

How does this not make any sense? You said she earns that for an 8 hour shift she earns £38.50. Split over 8 hours this is £4.81, therefore, if she works 8.5 hours, she earns £4.53, which is less than the minimum wage (granted, for over 21s). Without the tips, she earns £12.75, for an 8.5 hour shift. And you think she shouldn't moan about not getting tips? Or did you think I meant, that for an 8.5 hours shift, she earns in total £4.80?