Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

i need it real bad!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by 1983
    I'd rather be a bum than a waitress, ta.

And people wonder why service is so slow in restaurants. Everyone wants one to serve them but no one wants to do it.

We had the most gormless/kindest waiter at Pizza Hut a few weeks ago. We left him "too much money" apparently, and was so grateful when he realised it was a tip. The service was just like how Fiend explains it in the post above.
  • Options
    I hate that, it's like FUCK we JUST got in. Can't we get settled and have a 5 minute chinwag first of all?

yes.. and then when they give you the menu and hoover waiting for your orders, I like to take time when ordering my food,

you know.. actually reading the menu..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    if i were in the UK or any where else in europe i would still tip 20% even though they get wages...

10% is what's considered as standard though. Bearing in mind alot of places already have a service charge, plus VAT, and the fact the UK is already one of the most expensive places in the world; way more expensive than America.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Some people say you should double the tax.

35%!?!?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    10% is what's considered as standard though. Bearing in mind alot of places already have a service charge, plus VAT, and the fact the UK is already one of the most expensive places in the world; way more expensive than America.

And waiter/ess's get more than the minimum wage, like £5.50 or more an hour.
    Originally posted by Kiezo

35%!?!?

No, I mean if the tax on the bill is like $4 you tip $8.
  • Options
    I think it's fucking sick how she's only paid 2.65 and has to rely on tips though as it seems she is living on her tips so i can understand why she needs it,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    If people demanded a drink in 30seconds I'd tell them to fuck off, They get a drink when they can.. Geez,

Also if a waiteress asked me what I was doing tonight, or asked me for a refill before I'd finished I'd find that concidered rude.

well the whole theory behind the drinks is that you can have something to sip on while you go through the menu....

also.. refills on soda and stuff is free.. so that's why we bring it straight out..

for alcohol of course you ask if they would like a refill only when they're done...

the theory behind asking what you're doing tonight is like.. just in case you had a movie to catch or something.... we can push your food so it'll come out faster so you can go to your movie
  • Options

the theory behind asking what you're doing tonight is like.. just in case you had a movie to catch or something.... we can push your food so it'll come out faster so you can go to your movie

That's cute, but really, if I want dinner before a film I'll leave enough time for it.
  • Options
    well the whole theory behind the drinks is that you can have something to sip on while you go through the menu....

also.. refills on soda and stuff is free.. so that's why we bring it straight out..

for alcohol of course you ask if they would like a refill only when they're done...

Well now thats wrong, you shouldn't push someone through because they have a "movie" to catch or whatever there excuse.,
  • Options
    That's cute, but really, if I want dinner before a film I'll leave enough time for it.

:yes:

It's stupid pushing certain people through or not, I'd feel offended if I sat there for 30min waiting for food, a couple sit down and 5min later there food come before mine..
  • Options

Well that's fine, I hate my work too. I get sweared at and all sorts, I say I want to leave but I'd miss the people wayyyyy too much and I DO enjoy it. Provided I'm not on the tills. I HATE them. Raaah.
  • Options
    Well now thats wrong, you shouldn't push someone through because they have a "movie" to catch or whatever there excuse.,

You're an idiot for so many reasons. Stop trying to follow everyone's lead by picking fault with her and think for yourself before you comment kthx :thumb:

She said they can push the food through faster. Ie, get it made faster. I see nothing wrong with this. Especially when you're in a rush and don't have time to wait 30mins+ on food.

It's a good thing. Dolt.
  • Options
    yes.. and then when they give you the menu and hoover waiting for your orders, I like to take time when ordering my food,

you know.. actually reading the menu..

well the hostess gives you your menu when you sit down...
    and then i come say hi how are you doing blah blah blah blah let you know what our soup of the day and our featured drinks of the day is.. and that we have all coke products and a full bar.. and then i ask you what you would drink to get started on...

then i go and get your drinks and ask you if you would like to get started on an appetizer or if you simply need more time to look through the menu... then i tell you that there's no hurry and to take your time

and then i go and work on other stuff i have to do then come and take your order and blah blah blah

and when i give you your food.. i check to see if you need anything else.. and generally people will ask for more napkins and stuff like that.. then after about two bites i make sure the food is okay.. and then after that i leave you alone and i just bring you refills when it looks like your drinks are low and i only check on you once more....

and that's how we're trained..

i think you guys are just differently cultured... obviously.. and that's why you would think it's rude but over here it's expected... like to bring refills and get checked up on and such..
  • Options

That's not what she's saying, she's saying they would try to cook it faster, bump it up the queue or whatever, not that they would shoo the customer out the door.

Still, maybe a bit unfair on those who don't have movies to catch...
  • Options
    :yes:

It's stupid pushing certain people through or not, I'd feel offended if I sat there for 30min waiting for food, a couple sit down and 5min later there food come before mine..

okay... that's never going to happen..
    you will ALMOST never have to wait 30 minutes for your food unless it's incredibly busy.. like it was last night... but the most anyone waited for their food was 23 minutes and 14 seconds... which is terrible.. b/c yhour food is supposed to be otu to you in exactly 12 minutes or less
  • Options
    i think you guys are just differently cultured... obviously.. and that's why you would think it's rude but over here it's expected... like to bring refills and get checked up on and such..

It's not a different culture though. It's just that some Hellfires are twats. Most people appreciate what you have described.

Just don't EXPECT a tip. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    That's not what she's saying, she's saying they would try to cook it faster, bump it up the queue or whatever, not that they would shoo the customer out the door.

Still, maybe a bit unfair on those who don't have movies to catch...

thats what i am saying, you shouldn't give someone there food before someone else just because theres a rush,

for example couple A have been waiting for 10min, couple B have been waiting for 2minutes, couple B has a movie to see,

Now say they got the same orders, giving couple B there food before couple A, now that is wrong and is what i am trying to say
  • Options
    Jesus.

I seriously don't mind paying extra tips or anything. Especially if she's hot. It's obviously done differently in America for whatever reason, it's maybe worse because she doesn't have a guaranteed steady income coming in like we do? The tips she makes make up the majority of her wages by the sounds of it. She's got the right to rant.

As far as what's considered "rude" goes, it's bound to vary. What's rude to one person is good manners to another person. Half the time the waitress is only doing what she's told to do (asking if everythings OK, do they want another drink), and if they make polite passing conversation then it makes it all the better.

Excuse my French, but if some fucking customer at my work gave me a fucking dirty look for just doing my job, I'd be so fucking tempted to pour the bloody drink over their fucking head.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    It's not a different culture though. It's just that some Hellfires are twats. Most people appreciate what you have described.

what she said she does every time she waits on someone sounds what i'd expect
  • Options

lol... but we were raised to tip people over here... and you weren't...

and to what hellfire said...

no one gets there food in 2 minutes...
    i mean.. if you come in here and are like i need to leave be somewhere in 30 minutes.. that means you have to drive there which i assume takes about 15 minutes.. so basically you need to get in and out in 15 minutes.. i will say.. 'sir.. i think you should go to mcdonalds..."
  • Options
    what she said she does every time she waits on someone sounds what i'd expect
    I hate that, it's like FUCK we JUST got in. Can't we get settled and have a 5 minute chinwag first of all?

You can't agree with both.
  • Options

i mean.. if you come in here and are like i need to leave be somewhere in 30 minutes.. that means you have to drive there which i assume takes about 15 minutes.. so basically you need to get in and out in 15 minutes.. i will say.. 'sir.. i think you should go to mcdonalds..."

lol.. as much as i find that funny I don't think any plank would go to a resteruant if they had 30min, I always leave 1 1/2 - 2hrs ish,

but I was using 2min as an example.. just to make it easier to say, it could be 15min and 7min, 20 min and 12min, it's an example..
  • Options

We've got basic manners thanks, we tip because it's deserved, not because we have to. I know what I'd rather have.

missingthepoint.png
  • Options
    You can't agree with both.

Well yes.. I mean I like 5min to sit and talk before being asked what to eat, like she said..:rolleyes: it's when you've had 2min to sit down and they come ask for your order, that pisses me off
  • Options
    We've got basic manners thanks, we tip because it's deserved, not because we have to. I know what I'd rather have.

missingthepoint.png

hahahahahahahahahahaha

that's hilarious

i love that grraph
    hahahahaha
  • Options
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

that's hilarious

i love that grraph
    hahahahaha

was that sarcasm?
  • Options
    Honest to god you have no idea how different tipping is in US to back home - you just tip for everything! All of us British exchange students went through a bit of a climitisation because its just so different. We've got an american friend and for a while everywhere we went he'd be "did you tip? Dude go back and tip." You just have to

$2.65 per hour = around £1.40!!!!

You can't fucking call her greedy - places pay low because they KNOW everyone tips

Its a culture difference not greed.

(btw the service out here is MUCH better as well than back home - how barmaids/waitresses keep the smile on all the time I have no idea
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    Honest to god you have no idea how different tipping is in US to back home - you just tip for everything! All of us British exchange students went through a bit of a climitisation because its just so different. We've got an american friend and for a while everywhere we went he'd be "did you tip? Dude go back and tip." You just have to

$2.65 per hour = around £1.40!!!!

You can't fucking call her greedy - places pay low because they KNOW everyone tips

Its a culture difference not greed.

(btw the service out here is MUCH better as well than back home - how barmaids/waitresses keep the smile on all the time I have no idea

Shut up. It's called cost of living, it's actually cheaper over there than here.

ETA: Shit job, change it.
  • Options
    Shut up. It's called cost of living, it's actually cheaper over there than here.

ETA: Shit job, change it.

but it isn't that fucking cheap.. jesus.. as much as expecting a tip is wrong you can't blame her,

people over hear earning £4+ an hour shes on £1.40 I don't blame her for expecting a tip, it's not like she wants it, she needs it,
  • Options
    was that sarcasm?

no.. it actually made me laugh...
    :::NOT BEING SARCASTIC::::
  • Options
    no.. it actually made me laugh...
    :::NOT BEING SARCASTIC::::

Okay okay, don't bite my ass for it,