Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Alcohol without ID

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd like to know some of the rubbish you try and spin the sales staff whenever you try and buy booze without ID.

I ask because I spent most of last night asking people for ID, and they were really boring. It's like they're following the worst script in the world. 'Do I look 17?' 'But i'm 19!' 'Oh, you've got to be shitting me'...

Comments

• Options
    Would you really give a fuck anyway?
  • Options
    not quite the same, but I managed to buy lighters without ID because I had my car keys. I do tend to be surprised when I get ID'd, though I'm getting used to it more now.
  • Options
  • Options
    I always ask if they look 21 or younger. I dunno why but I actually enjoy not selling alcohol to people. I find it especially entertaining not to sell fags too. I normally accompany it with a quip about how i'm doing their health a favour.
  • Options
    I'm always served.. well i think i got asked for ID once/twise
  • Options
    I dont have that problem, being 18 and all :D

But I have a friend who if shes ever asked for ID just bursts out laughing, and then when shes stopped says something like "Oh-You were serious?!" They usually let her in TBH.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Probably because you're a sadistic little worm.

How charming...

I just like to know that i'm doing my bit to help save the lungs and liver of children.
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I normally accompany it with a quip about how i'm doing their health a favour.

I expect somebody's going to do you a favour one day and spark you out.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    I expect somebody's going to do you a favour one day and spark you out.

Hey, I can't stand smokers. If I want to tell them how bad it is for them that's my business. Spark??? What the hell does spark me out mean?
  • Options
  • Options
    it was funny working in a pub, cause with some of the local scallies that came in that nobody liked, well they may well have been over 18, and i knew it, but without ID i was well within my rights not to service them

ahh those were the days
  • Options
    To be fair GWST he's supposed to ask for ID, because the company is liable if he doesn't. So long as he doesn't act like a prat while working.
  • Options
    I'm 23, I got IDed when brought mate a packt of fags. I DO NOT look 15!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    To be fair GWST he's supposed to ask for ID, because the company is liable if he doesn't. So long as he doesn't act like a prat while working.

Yeah, he's supposed to ask for ID, not give them a lecture on whether or not they should be smoking / drinking / sniffing glue.
  • Options
    I've never tried to buy things like that or get in places while underage as I think that's just pathetic and textbook chav behaviour, but the other day I had to buy fags for my boyfriend and was IDed (I'm 18). I just told the lady I had a tattoo and I'd be willing to show her, which is true, I have a cherub on my arm, and she sold me them without me having to show it. Result!

By the way I know how you feel, I worked on a till for 10 months, I've had some right mouthy underrage twats. You've just got to be professional and keep your cool.
  • Options
    I'm often asked for ID (I'm 22), but it doesn't really bother me, I always take ID with me if I'm going out. The one that got me was a bouncer on a bar the other week asking me (and not my boyfriend, who is younger than me), "how old are you?" Because if I was underage, I would really answer "15", wouldn't I? :rolleyes:

My friend has also been ID'd when she was heavily pregnant, which we found slightly amusing, although the amount of underage mothers, we shouldn't have been too surprised.
  • Options
    For some weird reason I got ID'd buying cigs when I was 16 and never when buying alcohol. It doesn't make sense.

I think the way you act is the main thing. I remember being a little shifty when buying cigs because I'd get killed if family friends saw me, but when buying alcohol I forgot I was underage, when I'm around town or in a pub etc. so it doesn't make you feel nervous at all.
  • Options
    asdas policy is to id anyone who looks under 24

thats why i like my local offie run by the friendly indian guy, also does under the counter fags

probably no more with all these tesco metros popping up everyone :'(
  • Options
    At Tesco we have a new policy where we're meant to ask ID if they look younger than 21. I once asked a 34 year old woman for ID. :o:lol:

I don't mind asking for ID really, if they're old enough they should have the ID on them and so it shouldn't bother them.

Unrelated but I remember once I wasn't allowed to serve a woman 'cause she was pissed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    asdas policy is to id anyone who looks under 24

How can you tell the exact age of someone? Oh you look 23 so I'm not serving you :/
  • Options
    I always ask if they look 21 or younger. I dunno why but I actually enjoy not selling alcohol to people. I find it especially entertaining not to sell fags too. I normally accompany it with a quip about how i'm doing their health a favour.

Unless they're a townie and then you should actually want them to die. If not there's something seriously wrong with you:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    How can you tell the exact age of someone? Oh you look 23 so I'm not serving you :/

no cause it hard to tell difference between someone who 18 or 17, so if you id anyone looking under 24, theyll get seved, if they have ID
  • Options
    still dodgy though i dont think it wrong for under 18s to drink, in moderation, if someone who was obut 16 was trying to buy alcohol as part of shopping and as long as it werent binge drinking shit, id probably serve them...

i just wouldnt sell cheapr cider, special brew, and tacky wines and spirits though
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Hey, I can't stand smokers. If I want to tell them how bad it is for them that's my business.

Your buisness is to take the money and ID them if they don't look old enough. It is not your job to be some cocky little gob shite giving out lectures.
    Spark??? What the hell does spark me out mean?

Thump you. Hard.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I always get asked for id's when i buy smokes unless i know the person. I don't think anything of it. though if somebody started lecturing me i'd get the urge to punch them in the face. this kid reminds me of a narc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    I always get asked for id's when i buy smokes unless i know the person. I don't think anything of it. though if somebody started lecturing me i'd get the urge to punch them in the face. this kid reminds me of a narc.

What's a narc?
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    While you're at work you should be professional. You can say whatever the hell you want to in your own time. If I bought a cream cake, or a pregnancy test, and a santimonious little prick gave me a lecture about it then I'd try and get him sacked.

I don't think your company would be best please to hear how you are deliberately antagonising their customers.

I don't normally give lectures, I don't like giving lectures, I just save it for people who I really don't like the look of. Specifically, the ones that give me lip but in truth look like little wimps and really wouldn't have the bollocks to complain about me anyway. Generally speaking, my supervisor doesn't really care what I do because I fill the refused sales book with plenty of evidence to prove we're doing our bit when the auditors come round.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sniper666
    Unless they're a townie and then you should actually want them to die. If not there's something seriously wrong with you:p

Generally speaking, I wouldn't make such comments to these group of people. I know of occasions where they haven't been served and waited around for four hours specifically to thump whoever refused to serve them. My usual line with these individuals when they give me lip is to remind them that as they have no ID I am refusing to serve them, and that if they did not stop harassing me i'd be very happy to call the security guard or the police and have them removed.