Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

really, why are drugs illegal?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    There not really even the evil bastard people put them forward to be. They are just businessmen. Its a trade very much like any other.

I totally agree with you, drugs is just a trade like any other, the difference to many being it is illegal, but like many trades legal and illegal, there is a lot of nastiness involved.

And they are businessmen without the regulations they should have, i mean if you are fucked over by a drug dealer who are you going to go to, the police?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    most people at the very top of the pile never even see the drugs ...they simply finance it.
    they live in very nice houses with very nice families and are respectable citezens on the surface.

That's the irony, isn't it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    No, because slowly and surely we will get the uppr hand. Tens of major drug dealers have already been sentence to pretty hard sentences in Nottingham, with the proceeds of crime act also in full swing soon the gits will feel it where it hurts most, in their pocket.
    When they watch the bailiffs come round and take everything that so much as looks like it was bought with unproven income it'll make the bastards weep.

That won't make a jot of difference y'know.
  • Options
    Meh. Maybe you're right, I still want to see the guys at the top punished.
    Even if drugs were legalised, do you think they'd hand over control that easy?
    They'll do something else.
  • Options
    The guys at the top are already involved in something else, often with the full knowledge and complicity of the authorities. Read up about the CIA and cocaine sometime.
  • Options
    Meh. Maybe you're right, I still want to see the guys at the top punished.
    Even if drugs were legalised, do you think they'd hand over control that easy?
    They'll do something else.

This will have been said before probably, but can't you understand the "guys at the top" have come about because of prohibition :confused:

Prohibition = organised crime.

Get rid of prohibition and the problem is sorted, it's not difficult.
  • Options
    Yes, I understand what you're saying.
    What I'm saying is that a lot of these people have blood on their hands, which they should pay for.
  • Options
    If people have been involved in violence, pimping etc, then prosecute them. But selling drugs should not be a crime. Or are you going to prosecute every publican for potentially creating alcoholics?
  • Options
    What I'm saying is that a lot of these people have blood on their hands, which they should pay for.

No doubt. On the topic of legalisation, though, that's not relevent.
  • Options

some of them do indeed but most of them are so clean cut and so respectable ...you'd never get anything to stick and ...that doesn't deal with todays drug problem mate.
  • Options

I totally agree with you on that point.

That is also why i'm for decriminalisation of most drugs, so the power these people wield via drugs can be taken away from them, they may not all be caught, but at least they may pay by the drying up of their funds.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    No, that's not true at all. The main argument for legalising drugs is that they are too dangerous for their supply to be in the hands of gangsters and criminals. Remove the criminality and you remove most of the social problems... their illegality makes them more dangerous.

You remove the crime, for sure (by definition), but you certainly don't remove the social problems. Just look at alcohol.
    Depends on the drug. Depends on the person. Depends on the social context.
    Addiction is a complex thing.

Agreed.
    Not true. Some people take them to suppress uncomfortable feelings and memories.

Fine, but they take them because it feels good and hence they can cope with their "uncomfortable feelings and memories".
    Get real, this will never happen. The demand for drugs is too great and anyway, it suits the US government for some countries to grow opium and coca, it gives them a lever in the local politics and economy. The CIA turn a blind eye to opium production in Afghanistan and have been involved in cocaine trafficking in South America.
    It certainly won't happen if governments aren't serious about it. But lobbying against anti-drug trafficking legilsation isn't helpful to either side. If you are to legalise drugs, supply would still need to be controlled if you are suggesting taxing sales.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?
    Originally posted by Kentish

You remove the crime, for sure (by definition), but you certainly don't remove the social problems. Just look at alcohol.
    [/B]
    Agreed.
    [/B]
    Fine, but they take them because it feels good and hence they can cope with their "uncomfortable feelings and memories".

But lobbying against anti-drug trafficking legilsation isn't helpful to either side. If you are to legalise drugs, supply would still need to be controlled if you are suggesting taxing sales. [/B]
    you do remove almost all the social problems.

there are millions of people who find life impossible/unbearable without a little chemical help from the doctor.

when you say, 'would still need to be controlled' ...the idea of legalising them is to regain control of something that is totaly out of control with the current laws.

no one wants drugs legalised in such a way that any tom dick and harry can sell them ...thats what we have now.
  • Options
    Heroin is one of the least physically harmless drugs there is. Look it up, it's true.

Define harmless. An addictive drug can never be "harmless".
    How do you know?

Call it insider knowledge ;)
    Given that opiate users only come into contact with services when they have a major problem (and thus are only counted in govt stats then), how do we know how many people are using opiates with no problems? It's more than you'd think anyway.

I don't recall ever attempting to quantify the problem, and I don't see how it affects my argument.
    A lot cheaper than the black market.
    A gram of variable quality heroin on the
    black market costs about £80. According to my copy of the BNF, a 500mg amp of diamorphine hydrochloride costs £20.68. So legal heroin is roughly half the price of blackmarket heroin.

£80? Six quid on the Hardwick.
    Couple that with the fact that legal heroin is gonna be a lot purer, and the price comes down even more.

I don't follow the logic
    Rubbish. Public health would also be served by drug legalisation, for all the reasons already outlined.

Remind me
    That is not the reason. It has more to do with profit and drug licensing.

Explain
    Glad to hear it.
    I'm not a fan of the medical model either. Addiction is a complex thing, comprising of physical, psychological/emotional and social aspects.

What's your point?
    Well duh. :rolleyes:
    What an absurd thing to say.

Just a clarification after morrocon roll suggested that addiction was an illness that needed treating.
    Yes. Why not? :confused:
    You're seriously suggesting that drug users who commit crimes should be set free because they use drugs? :confused:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?
    you do remove almost all the social problems.

But how? You'd still have addicts desperate for the next fix. You'd still have crimes being committed to feed habits.

there are millions of people who find life impossible/unbearable without a little chemical help from the doctor.

Doctors should only prescribe therapeutic treatments, not recreational drugs. You cannot possibly be comparing drugs like anti-depressants with heroin?
    when you say, 'would still need to be controlled' ...the idea of legalising them is to regain control of something that is totaly out of control with the current laws.

Regain?
    If you are proposing taxing drug sales then the government would need to have control over supply.
    no one wants drugs legalised in such a way that any tom dick and harry can sell them ...thats what we have now.
    So what do you propose?
  • Options

[/B]
    Just a clarification after morrocon roll suggested that addiction was an illness that needed treating.

You're seriously suggesting that drug users who commit crimes should be set free because they use drugs? :confused: [/B]
    alcoholism and gambling are addictions that are treated as illnesses. the world health organistaion already classify drug addiction as an illness ...believe it or not ...a spiritual illness!

no one has suggested that any criminals should geyt off with anything.
    anyone who commits a crime is dealt with in the usual manner ...
  • Options
    alcoholism and gambling are addictions that are treated as illnesses. the world health organistaion already classify drug addiction as an illness ...believe it or not ...a spiritual illness!

Reasonable point. But we don't treat alcoholics by providing booze on demand, or gamblers by giving them a good tip on the 3.20 at Aintree.
    no one has suggested that any criminals should geyt off with anything.
    anyone who commits a crime is dealt with in the usual manner ...
    That's exactly what Blagtsa suggested:
    Yes. Why not? :confused:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?

Think about how much worse the social problems would be if alcohol was illegal. Prohibition in America?
    And heroin use doesn't cause the same level of violence. You ever seen someone start a fight when gouched out?

Not really how it works.
    Originally posted by Kentish It certainly won't happen if governments aren't serious about it. But lobbying against anti-drug trafficking legilsation isn't helpful to either side. If you are to legalise drugs, supply would still need to be controlled if you are suggesting taxing sales.

Yes.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?

But how? You'd still have addicts desperate for the next fix. You'd still have crimes being committed to feed habits.
    [/B]
    Doctors should only prescribe therapeutic treatments, not recreational drugs. You cannot possibly be comparing drugs like anti-depressants with heroin?
    [/B]
    Regain?
    If you are proposing taxing drug sales then the government would need to have control over supply.

So what do you propose? [/B]
    as an addict you can function perfectly normaly ...thousands of doctors engineers mechanics etc do so every day ...the trouble with it being illegal is you don't know for sure where your next dose is coming from.
    it is a constant worry. a worry that takes over your every waking moment.
    imagine a diabetic being in the same situation ...they would have their insulin and then start worrying and planning where and how the next dose is coming from.
    in the sixties people used to get a pad of prescriptions ...seven day pad with am and pm scripts. america and europe had a growing heroin problem and the uk didn't.
    after much research ...i think it was the wooton comitee ...advised the government to keep it this way because stopping it would lead to an explosion in heroin use.
    the government ignored the comitee and criminalized it to bring us inline with america ...as they say ...the rest is history.
    the government having control of the supply is what we want. along with the pharmacuticals industry ...how it used to be ...then there would indeed be control.
    kent ...we can't go on like we have for the last forty years can we?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?
    Think about how much worse the social problems would be if alcohol was illegal. Prohibition in America?
    And heroin use doesn't cause the same level of violence.

I'm not suggesting prohibiting alcohol.
    Heroin may not cause violence. The pursuit of heroin most certainly does.
    You ever seen someone start a fight when gouched out?

I don't know what "gouched out" means.
    Not really how it works.

Enlighten me.
    Yes.
    Yes what?
  • Options

Define harmless. An addictive drug can never be "harmless".

Physically harmless.
    Call it insider knowledge ;)

You don't know then.
    Originally posted by Kentish I don't recall ever attempting to quantify the problem, and I don't see how it affects my argument.

Quite a lot actually. You said "vast majority". I'm saying that can be disputed.
    Originally posted by Kentish £80? Six quid on the Hardwick.

Not for a gramme.
    Originally posted by Kentish I don't follow the logic

Obviously not. :rolleyes:
    Street heroin is often only 20% pure. Pharm grade is near enough 100%. Clear now?
    Originally posted by Kentish Remind me

Legalised heroin would be of a known purity (thus reducing accidental OD), wouldn't be cut with shit (thus reducing abscesses etc), use would not be stigmatised (thus reducing social exclusion), it would be cheaper and legally available (thus reducing crime) etc etc
    Originally posted by Kentish Explain

A plant cannot be licensed.
    Originally posted by Kentish What's your point?

That the medical model is not very useful on its own.

Still doesn't make sense.
    Originally posted by Kentish You're seriously suggesting that drug users who commit crimes should be set free because they use drugs? :confused:

No, but that's not what you said originally, is it?
  • Options

I'm not suggesting prohibiting alcohol.
    Heroin may not cause violence. The pursuit of heroin most certainly does.

Exactly my point. Pursuit of prohibited black market heroin and protection of turf causes violence (although most heroin addicts fund through shoplifting or kiting, not through violent crime).
    I don't know what "gouched out" means.

If you had "insider knowledge", you'd know what this means. It means smacked out, on the nod, high on heroin.
    Enlighten me.

Heroin is a painkiller. It numbs emotion and psychic pain.
    Yes what?

Yes I agree that the supply side would have to be brought into line.
  • Options

Reasonable point. But we don't treat alcoholics by providing booze on demand, or gamblers by giving them a good tip on the 3.20 at Aintree.

But we give alcoholics benzo's which have much the same effect as a methadone or heroin reduction programme.
    And gambling is not a physical addiction. However most addictive behaviour has similar pyschological and emotional roots
    That's exactly what Blagtsa suggested:

No it wasn't.
  • Options

Please try and read the thread. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Obviously not. :rolleyes:
    Street heroin is often only 20% pure. Pharm grade is near enough 100%. Clear now?

You're still not being clear. Do you mean that because the near enough 100% pure is available, the street price will have to come down, or that because the drug is 100% pure it will be cheeper, because either way you weren't being clear what you meant, and for the latter the logic is beyond me.
  • Options
    What I meant was - street heroin is about £80/gram, but this varies from usually about 20% pure up to 80% occasionally.
    Pharm grade heroin is about £40/gram for an injectable amp, but this is pretty much 100%. Therefore it is actually cheaper than half the price as you get 100% in a gram rather than 20%. More for your money in otherwords.
    Clear now?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?
    If you had "insider knowledge", you'd know what this means. It means smacked out, on the nod, high on heroin.

Different inside, obviously.
    And I have seen wannabe-"gouched out" addicts being violent.
    Heroin is a painkiller. It numbs emotion and psychic pain.

What is psychic pain?
    Thanks, I know what heroin is ;)
    But we give alcoholics benzo's which have much the same effect as a methadone or heroin reduction programme
    Who is "we"? And I hope you don't. Benzodiazepines used in the treatment of acute withdrawal in ethanol detox isn't really the same as methadone for heroin users.

No it wasn't

My misunderstanding it seems. So drug users should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us?

Please try and read the thread. :rolleyes:

I do, have no fear. Just reading your posts doesn't necessarily mean I will agree with them ;)
  • Options
    What I meant was - street heroin is about £80/gram, but this varies from usually about 20% pure up to 80% occasionally.
    Pharm grade heroin is about £40/gram for an injectable amp, but this is pretty much 100%. Therefore it is actually cheaper than half the price as you get 100% in a gram rather than 20%. More for your money in otherwords.
    Clear now?
    Wholesale not retail. And you haven't even added VAT.
    But let's not get sidetracked with hypothetical economics. :cool:
  • Options
    Wholesale not retail. And you haven't even added VAT.
    But let's not get sidetracked with hypothetical economics. :cool:
    kentish ...please answer this question ...do you believe things should be left as they are?
    if not ...what would you propose?
  • Options
    kentish ...please answer this question ...do you believe things should be left as they are?
    if not ...what would you propose?
    It's a fair question, and I'm not going to pretend I have the answer.
    I am too worried about the consequences of legalisation to support that idea. Decriminalisation wouldn't solve any of the associated problems. So I guess that leaves the status quo. I would prefer more money to be invested in examining the root causes of drug use. The sociology of drug use suggests to me that simply wanting to expand the mind or express oneself is not the reason for most hard drug use.