Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

really, why are drugs illegal?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i rest my case.
    Hardly. I don't think anyone is suggesting that recreational drugs should be prescribed by a doctor.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Hardly. I don't think anyone is suggesting that recreational drugs should be prescribed by a doctor.
    me neither.
    doctors should prescribe heroin though ...and should be allowed to prescribe cannabis for it's known medical values.
    recreational drugs should be allowed to be purchased from a chemist.
    there are already people selling mushrooms legaly ...very powerful drugs they are too!
    lets face it ...there are already people selling every concievable thing anyway so surely ...common sense says we should take this trade and control it?
    it is out of control cos we have washed our hands of it.
    we have relinquished control of some very powerful tonics and poisons to terrorists and gangsters ...i just don't see how you can believe there is the slightest ounce of sense in that behaviour!
    please ...give me your idea of how we should deal with the current situation we find ourselves in?
  • Options
    ONE LAST THING AND I'M OFF TO BED ...oops caps.
    if we left it to criminal organisations and terrorists to vote wether drugs should be made legal or not...i think i know they would be voting the same way as a lot of you ...
  • Options
    Alcohol is probably easier to tax than marijuana.
  • Options
    Dolly, the money for prescriptions would have to come from somewhere, namely my wage packet.

Skive, I'm a PCSO not a PC. As far as my job is concerned hard drugs don't exist.
    I have more trouble on the street dealing with alcohol to be bothered by a crack head getting high in his shed.

To me alcohol is a much more serious problem than heroin. However I don't work in an area with any sort of drugs problem apart from the odd youth smoking weed at the train station. Other PCSO's who work in the inner city may have different ideas.

I think however that by just decriminalising it is simply giving in. I hate the idea that the scum that have got away with shootings, pimping and making the lives of people a misery simply being allowed to get away with it is wrong. Everything should be done to hunt them down and destroy them, like the cancer they are.
    The addicted I have sympathy for, and I think for a LIMTED time we should offer an amnesty to anyone who is addicted. Say for 12-24 months anyone wanting help will recieve it.
    They will be prescribed drugs to wean them, sent to classes, given all the help they obviously need in getting up off their feet.

The dealers will be given the option of handing themselves in with the promise of a lighter sentence if they do.

After the 12 months is over then there will be no leniency. Dealers will be given mandatory life sentences, users will be forced to give up their addiction, by whatever means necessary. They will be given community work and will recieve the money required to live on, for food and rent.
    If at any point they decide they need to steal to get money for their addiction, despite all the help they are getting they will recieve the full penalty permitted by law for that offence.

I believe people make mistakes, I believe people deserve a second chance and all the help they can get.
    I also believe that people who throw society's understanding and leniency back in its face don't deserve shit.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?
    There aren't many. Users' main arguments often revolve around their assertion that they aren't doing anyone any harm and if drugs were legalised or decriminalised they wouldn't have to break the law to have their fun.

No, that's not true at all. The main argument for legalising drugs is that they are too dangerous for their supply to be in the hands of gangsters and criminals. Remove the criminality and you remove most of the social problems.
    That's fine until you realise that using drugs (including alcohol) is harmful for some. Cannabis may well have no ill effects on an individual, but I have come across regular dope smokers who developed drug-induced psychoses and that is something I wouldn't wish on anybody.

True. But their illegality makes them more dangerous. Soap bar anyone?
    About 30% of smokers will die as a direct result of smoking. 70% won't, but because we don't know which 30% will be affected, we try to discourage smoking. It's just the same with drugs. Perhaps moderate use is not harmful, but a lot of the drugs we are talking about are addictive so moderate use soon becomes daily use and turns into a dependence.

Depends on the drug. Depends on the person. Depends on the social context.
    Addiction is a complex thing.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. We should never forget that people only take drugs because of the buzz.

Not true. Some people take them to suppress uncomfortable feelings and memories.
    If the government is serious about reducing drug usage, it has to be supply that is targetted, not just education/'just say no'.

Get real, this will never happen. The demand for drugs is too great and anyway, it suits the US government for some countries to grow opium and coca, it gives them a lever in the local politics and economy. The CIA turn a blind eye to opium production in Afghanistan and have been involved in cocaine trafficking in South America.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?

It's easy to type without sources to back up your statements, but when challenged don't allege ignorance.

Read this
    1842125524.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    So precisely the opposite of most drug users today. I don't recall suggesting that drugs weren't used in the 1920s, but I suggest that "the two most popular drugs" were not cocaine and cannabis if we are including alcohol and tobacco.

Really?

cokewine.jpg
    Is the government really there to legalise substances that are known to be harmful?

The government is there to help society. And society would be helped by drug legalisation.
  • Options

Many prescription drugs can have harmful effects in the long term or in overdose. But prescription drug use is at least monitored, whereas heroin use isn't.

Heroin is one of the least physically harmless drugs there is. Look it up, it's true.

Utter rubbish, I'm afraid. Opiates are highly addictive. Vast majority? Sorry, no.

How do you know? Given that opiate users only come into contact with services when they have a major problem (and thus are only counted in govt stats then), how do we know how many people are using opiates with no problems? It's more than you'd think anyway.
    That's a reasonable argument. But there would always be a price, and if you are suggesting government regulation and tax, the price isn't going to be cheap. So a highly addictive drug, readily available, and of good quality - I think plenty of crime would be committed to feed habits.

A lot cheaper than the black market.
    A gram of variable quality heroin on the
    black market costs about £80. According to my copy of the BNF, a 500mg amp of diamorphine hydrochloride costs £20.68. So legal heroin is roughly half the price of blackmarket heroin.
    Couple that with the fact that legal heroin is gonna be a lot purer, and the price comes down even more.
    Not stupid, they just have more interest in crime than health.

Rubbish. Public health would also be served by drug legalisation, for all the reasons already outlined.
    Cannabis, in one form or another, may be available on prescription for certain conditions, but it is not for doctors to prescribe recreational drugs.

That is not the reason. It has more to do with profit and drug licensing.
    Agreed. Addiction is not a crime...

Glad to hear it.
    erm, no.

I'm not a fan of the medical model either. Addiction is a complex thing, comprising of physical, psychological/emotional and social aspects.
    Methadone is prescribed to heroin addicts who want to stop, but there is no medicine for addiction per se.

Well duh. :rolleyes:
    What an absurd thing to say.
    70%? Even people with illnesses are subject to law. Are you suggesting criminal addicts should be allowed to go free?

Yes. Why not? :confused:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: really, why are drugs illegal?

It's an argument, but a weak one imho. If addicts are "forced to commit other crimes to pay for their addiction", the drug must be pretty addictive, agreed? So are you simply suggesting that legalising heroin would bring the price down so much that users wouldn't have to commit crime to feed their habit?

Yes. See above.
    I agree with the first statement. Why keep them illegal? Because it deters some, it limits availability, and it shows recognition of the drug's harmful effects.

But criminalisation actually increases the harm caused.
    You can't get SPAM anywhere these days. Why? Supply has been stopped. It's not easy, yes people will try to fill the gap, but it has to be an option, otherwise you're right, we may as well give in.

What on earth are you talking about? :confused::confused:
  • Options

No, they're not. And? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

I think however that by just decriminalising it is simply giving in. I hate the idea that the scum that have got away with shootings, pimping and making the lives of people a misery simply being allowed to get away with it is wrong.

But legalising would be defeating them.
    Everything should be done to hunt them down and destroy them, like the cancer they are.

Why? Capitalism innit? The free market at it's purest.
    The addicted I have sympathy for, and I think for a LIMTED time we should offer an amnesty to anyone who is addicted. Say for 12-24 months anyone wanting help will recieve it.
    They will be prescribed drugs to wean them, sent to classes, given all the help they obviously need in getting up off their feet.

You cannot force people to quit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta

You cannot force people to quit.

On the contrary, I believe you can. Stick and the carrot.
    Offer them a decent incentive to beat the addiction with a suitable punishment if they are unwilling.
    Note how I say unwilling. If someone is unable to beat it first time round then so be it, they try again like smokers and alcoholics.
    If they refuse to try again then why do they deserve help.

And no we wouldn't be defeating them, yes they would no longer be drug dealers, but what incentive will they have to simply pack up and join the rat race?
    I doubt very much they'd simply give up the power they enjoy, they'll find something else to try and control. Be it prostitution, guns, vehicles, illegal importing, counterfeiting e.t.c.
    And why should they be allowed to get away with the crimes they have comitted in the past?
    By simply giving up we're sending the message that you're free to do as you wish. "Why not try your hand at boot legging dvd's or counterfeiting money? We'll just realise we can't win and let you do it".

By allowing drug dealers to walk free from their crimes we'd be setting an extremely dangerous and irresponsible precedent.
  • Options
    On the contrary, I believe you can. Stick and the carrot.
    Offer them a decent incentive to beat the addiction with a suitable punishment if they are unwilling.
    Note how I say unwilling. If someone is unable to beat it first time round then so be it, they try again like smokers and alcoholics.
    If they refuse to try again then why do they deserve help.

It doesn't work. Believe me.
    And why should we help people? Basic humanity really.
    And no we wouldn't be defeating them, yes they would no longer be drug dealers, but what incentive will they have to simply pack up and join the rat race?
    I doubt very much they'd simply give up the power they enjoy, they'll find something else to try and control. Be it prostitution, guns, vehicles, illegal importing, counterfeiting e.t.c.

Larger scale dealers already are involved in these things.
    And why should they be allowed to get away with the crimes they have comitted in the past?

Eh? :confused:
    By simply giving up we're sending the message that you're free to do as you wish. "Why not try your hand at boot legging dvd's or counterfeiting money? We'll just realise we can't win and let you do it".

Again, eh? :confused:
    Legalising drugs is a pragmatic solution. The only solution.
    By allowing drug dealers to walk free from their crimes we'd be setting an extremely dangerous and irresponsible precedent.

Again, eh? :confused:
  • Options
    I sense your confusion young Padawan.

What I mean is a lot of drug dealers or drug gangs are heavily involved in other crimes,
    gang warfare, murder, rape, robberies, arson, car ringing e.t.c.

When I talk about dealers I'm not talking about your mate who sells you an ounce of weed for a few quid because really that's just one user selling to another.

I'm talking about the big time, organised ones.
  • Options
    Yes, I know. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    There is the issue of what will happen to the criminal groups involved in the drug trade if/when it was liberalised.

There is a lot of money floating about that they wouldnt want to loose.

But, with the police not hassling lower end users and dealers, there would be more police chasing the same number of criminals.

Personally though I think full legalisation too quickly would be a serious mistake. There should be prescribing of the addictive drugs to under cut the black market. Many recreational drugs should be available through licenced outlets and education should get a LOT better.

But the question arrises as what to do about cocaine? prescribe a bottomless addiction?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    But the question arrises as what to do about cocaine? prescribe a bottomless addiction?

I agree, i do struggle with the issue of legalising highly addictive and harmful drugs like cocaine, and although i think legalised drugs: fags and alcohol can be just as addictive it doesn't mean we should add to the list, but people are always going to do it, and i think it would be better to take it out of the hands of drug barons.

Also, many take coke recreationally and don't get a problem.
  • Options
  • Options
    And the attackers addiction is relevent how?
  • Options
    I did say you could argue it both ways.
  • Options
    whowhere ...no is saying that changing the drug laws removes crime from the planet! we will always have criminals ...always have had but ...never before in history have we given criminals such an easy way to make money on such a massive scale.
    who is suggesting letting people off? we are suggesting that we put a stop to this madness by taking control of the situation.
    your idea of coming down realy heavy ...these guys are making millions upon millions of quids for doing basicaly sod all or very little ...the heavier you get the heavier they'll get so you will contribute to an ever spiralling rise in bloodshed and mayhem.
    this is the biggest cash generator in history ...you can keep on fighting it ...keep on loosing ...
    no one wants to give up ...we want to win.
  • Options
    I just really hate the idea of letting the big players get away with all the misery they have caused to so many people.
    To the addicted, and the victims of drug related crime.
  • Options
    I just really hate the idea of letting the big players get away with all the misery they have caused to so many people.
    To the addicted, and the victims of drug related crime.

But, to me that doesnt make much sense. They are getting away with it now, and making money. If legal supply was introduced they would be getting away with it with no money. Surely thats better?
  • Options
    No, because slowly and surely we will get the uppr hand. Tens of major drug dealers have already been sentence to pretty hard sentences in Nottingham, with the proceeds of crime act also in full swing soon the gits will feel it where it hurts most, in their pocket.
    When they watch the bailiffs come round and take everything that so much as looks like it was bought with unproven income it'll make the bastards weep.
  • Options
    No, because slowly and surely we will get the uppr hand. Tens of major drug dealers have already been sentence to pretty hard sentences in Nottingham, with the proceeds of crime act also in full swing soon the gits will feel it where it hurts most, in their pocket.
    When they watch the bailiffs come round and take everything that so much as looks like it was bought with unproven income it'll make the bastards weep.

Hmm, and when was the last time there was a big enough bust to affect supply?

That and the asset taking laws are discusting. They completely piss on the principle of innocent till proven guilty.
  • Options
    and there will be 50 more fighting to take their place ...thats the reality.
    remember the biggest ever cocain bust in this country not so many months ago ...the police and customs from a number of countries had a big party to celebrate ...the press were told that this had taken out a major global player in the supply of cocain to europe ...cocain would be in short supply within days on the streets ...the price would rocket.
    what was the reality? within 48 hrs the streets were flooded with purer coke cheaper than ever ...in a move of defiance.
    this thing is to big to kill.
    this so called war has lasted nearly 40 years ...the result ...more and more and more people using ...more and more drugs flooding into the country.
    when your fighting any kind of war it is sometimes sensible to retreat and rethink.
    it is so obviously not working and has never worked so surely it's time to get radical ...time to aproach it once and for all in a grown up way and save a friggin fortune ...and some lives.
  • Options
    And they never actually bust the very big players anyway, the people who move tonnes.

When was the last time more than a few kilos of heroin was busted? I've not heard of one for AGES.
  • Options

Do you honestly think we will ever get the upper hand on drugs? The amount of money to be gained from it will make sure that never happens. I agree with you that most at the top of the drugs game are bastards, that's why i want it to be decriminalised and taken away from them.
  • Options
    There not really even the evil bastard people put them forward to be. They are just businessmen. Its a trade very much like any other.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    Do you honestly think we will ever get the upper hand on drugs? The amount of money to be gained from it will make sure that never happens. I agree with you that most at the top of the drugs game are bastards, that's why i want it to be decriminalised and taken away from them.
    most people at the very top of the pile never even see the drugs ...they simply finance it.
    they live in very nice houses with very nice families and are respectable citezens on the surface.