Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Why are people so against goths?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to know why people are against 'Gothic teenagers' People argue over if they're the real thing or if they're just 'faking'. Most teenagers are put into the group of 'fakers' or just trying to keep up with the latest fad. But this isn't always the case, yes i do agree that there are a fair few 'goths' who are just taking up the image to attract ladz attentions or becasue they want to get in with the 'latest fad' but not all of them are like that!

If I was to be categorised I would be put as a 'faker' as i am only 14 therefore most people think that i am just dressing and acting the way i do because it's the latest fad. But I don't; I feel that each person is an individual and I want to express my individuality by dressing differently, also Black is a very simple colour and to me it symbolises the evil there is in the world.

You can't walk down the street without coming across a group of 'goths.'I prefer to be alone and write songs.. mainly about love and how much hatred is in the world, to express my opinions. Either that or I go for a walk in the country with a friend.. I don't go on my own for fear of other people.

Also It isn't Just teenagers that aren't taken seriously, If an adult (say over the age of 25) expresses their feelings in this way, they aren't taken seriously at all, infact they are considered mental or in need of help, whats the deal with that?

What are your opinions? Why do you think people don't take 'gothicness' seriously?
Holz xXx

Comments

• Options
    personally i have nothing against 'goths', probs coz i like some gothic stuff within my own style taste..
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think you worry too much about what you look like and try too hard.

...and I don't like the gothic look anyway. All black does not look attractive. IMO.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I have absolutely nothing against people who want to dress/Act like a 'Goth'. But to say, you do that, cause ya wanna be 'different' - Hmmm... Yeah ok then :)
  • Options
    Re: Why are people so against goths?
    Originally posted by Evil_Love
    I feel that each person is an individual and I want to express my individuality by dressing differently

By calling yourself a goth though arent you putting yourself in a category?
  • Options

But I don't; I feel that each person is an individual and I want to express my individuality by dressing differently

Ehh... that's the thing. Dressing like that isn't individual or different. Take a look around you, you all look the same.
    also Black is a very simple colour and to me it symbolises the evil there is in the world.

Uhh... what the FUCK!? Why in God's name would you want to symbolise the evil in world? Why not oh I dunno, dress to look good?
    Also It isn't Just teenagers that aren't taken seriously, If an adult (say over the age of 25) expresses their feelings in this way, they aren't taken seriously at all, infact they are considered mental or in need of help, whats the deal with that?

'Cause most people (especially adults) are able to express their feelings without dressing up like a reject from the Psycho Circus.
  • Options
    At the end the day, it all boils down to the fact that if you make such an effort to be an individual and different from the crowd, then you're going to get abuse.

You can't change that. But so many people play up to the sterotypes. I write poetry, I wear black, I walk about with my face tripping me, I listen to horrible depressing rock music, I wear black, I annoy people, I'm not a sheep - I'm an individ-ewe-al (:lol: ) I make inane attention seeking threads on internet discussion boa...ah fuck it.

This'll go on for pages.

Here, have a biscuit.

images.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't label myself as a 'goth' i merely put that -if- i was to be categorised i would be put into that group.
    Also i didn't mean to make it sound like i symbolise evil, i just feel it should be noted and that more things should be done to help stop it.
    Most of the replies i have had prove that people who dress in a certain way (in this case black) get criticism for being who they are. I am not being a 'sheep' as you put it, even if the majority of people believed in one thing i wouldn't go with them, this is what i believe in and i will stick with it.
    By starting this post i wanted to see what sort of replies i would recieve, and so far they have proved to show that because i am a teenager, many people think that i am a follower or a 'sheep'. I am not trying to get attention by doing this or by dressing the way i do. infact quite the opposite, i dont wear tons of black make-up, or have wild and wacky clothes, they are purely plain, and simple, but black.
    I merely want to know the reason why 'goths' are singled out and critisied for being who they are.

Sorry if this is disjointed.. I am not very good at putting my point across in writing..

Love Holz xXx
  • Options
    I'm not against goths or any other name for people, i HATE it when people categorise people. Everyone is different & i wish they would act it.
    The reason i said you are putting yourself in a group is because of the heading.

I think you should stop worrying what other people think & get on with being you.
  • Options
    At the end of the day hun; you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone. Including these clowns on the net.

If you wanna wear black and listen to the music that is happened to be knowing as a gothic thing. Then that's fine. Screw what what everyone else thinks. Cause at the end of the day you aint ever going to get everyones' approval. We are all different. So you have to except that some people will dislike your taste in clothes and music.
  • Options
    Evil_Love: Have you ever read the Maddox article on goths? Well worth a read.

"Maddox is brilliant at building up quiet menace and then subverting our expectations. A succinct and thoroughly satisfying piece" - Daily Mail

"Penetrating, beautifully written . . . a probing, intelligent exploration of contemporary labels" - The New York Times Book Review
  • Options
    I do get affected by what people think about me, but thats because I've experienced moments where I've felt the whole world was against me, and it still kind of haunts me.. So Soz if i sounded like i was getting at any of you in my second comment..

Yeh I suppose I should take it into account that people do have different opinions and that most people wont take me seriously, but that was the whole point in this post, to find out why..

But i suppose this is one of those questions which doesn't really have an answer..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity

No.. But I'll Look around for it.. thanx :)

Holz xXx
  • Options
    Alot of peopel don't take young people seriously, its the way of the world i guess. Not everyone is like that though.
  • Options
    hey there,

i can actually say, i know how you feel. well, in a way. i'm practically 21 (woo! tis me bday next week!!!) and i still dress 'gothic'

that is to say, i wear black trousers and usually a black tshirt.

i am not a goth. i have never been a goth. i will never be a goth.

i wear black trousers because they are tidy. and multi-purpose. i can wear them to work or i can wear them out.

i wear black tshirts because, i own black tshirts. i happen to like them and that's that.

but also, in my many years on this planet ( :yeees: ), i have learnt that it is no good pointing out your individualisms to anybody else because the majority will turn around and tell you that you are still a sheep, or following a trend or under a specific label.

the only label anyone should come under is the one of the name they were given at birth.

speaking of which, i am Jemz. it is me. my name defines everything that a person needs to know about me.

Welcome to TheSite Evil_Love.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity

No.. But I'll Look around for it.. thanx :)

Holz xXx

Click.
  • Options
    Thanx (Jemz) welsh_mosher,

Happy 21st for next week! :D

Yeah I agree with the comment you made about you name being your only 'tag.' I wouldn't dream of wanting to 'become goth' and it annoys me when people will point me out by describing me as a 'goth.'
    And i do find that most people will label me as a 'sheep' as proved earlier in the post..
  • Options
    :lol: Capacity, Like i said earlier, I am not a 'goth' but i get categorised as that. I don't wish to be categorised as a 'goth' either. I used The term 'goth' in the title as that is what you (meaning everyone) would describe me as.
    Thanx for the link, it was a good read.. especially to know that this person thinks that it is so important to prove a group of people wrong that he has wrote an artical on it; very amusing.
  • Options
    What are your opinions? Why do you think people don't take 'gothicness' seriously?
    Holz xXx

Maybe it's got something to do with Vampire Movies?

I'd also say sometimes you see a goth that look like they're trying too hard to be as different as possible from Joe average.
  • Options
    Vampire Movies?! Ok.. maybe for 'Goths' but the term Goth was used merely as a desciptive word, to describe the type of clothes/person that people discriminate against.. if that's the right word..

Also yes i do believe some people do go too far overboard.. but i would say that those particualr people are doing it for attention.. some may not be, but does it really matter what people dress/look like? surely it shouldn't matter?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    but does it really matter what people dress/look like? surely it shouldn't matter?

It obviously matters enough for you to dress like it in the first place.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    not necessarily. it doesn't matter to me what i wear. i'd even wear pink or white should it take my fancy (never yellow tho, it just doesn't suit me at all :p )

it's a matter of individual taste, same as burberry, tracksuits, adidas, nike, etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    what i mean by it is that just because someone dresses differently, does it mean they should be treated like scum or in an abusive way.

Yeah i don't restrict myself to wearing only black clothes, that would be obsessive.
  • Options
    Good point. but what i mean by it is that just because someone dresses differently, does it mean they should be treated like scum or in an abusive way.

Do you actually have problems like that? Where people would start mouthing off to you cause of the way you dress? Or try and start a fight?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Do you actually have problems like that? Where people would start mouthing off to you cause of the way you dress? Or try and start a fight?

it does happen. me and my friends have been verbally and physically attacked just because of the clothes we were wearing at the time
  • Options
    yeh i do, i get people stopping me in the street or hurling abuse at me just because i'm wearing black. Also at school, i am treated differently by some teachers as they think i'm a trouble maker just because they think i belong to a 'group of goths'
  • Options
    Didn't realise it was that bad.

To me, Goths from here(Yes, I label you) are like little rich kids from the countryside who hang outside the city hall. The place is always covered with them, everyday; whether it's rain,hail or snow.

Then the millies/chavs are the ones you don't want to mess with, as they are usually connected with someone.

Least that's my way of looking at it.
    Yes, I judge; but god damit, we all do.

Though I would never crictise people for the way they dress or act. I may banter with them. But that's as far as I would take it.
  • Options
    Also yes i do believe some people do go too far overboard.. but i would say that those particualr people are doing it for attention.. some may not be, but does it really matter what people dress/look like? surely it shouldn't matter?

Dyeing your hair Black for example is one thingand I think Black hair is kinda nice anyway, but some put on loads of makeup and stuff
  • Options
    well tbh not many 'goths' like blink 182, in my experience. what ive been taught is each to there own, goths do annoy me because they do it for 1) attention 2) to follow the crowd and 3)because nobody likes them so they just join the rest

thats my opinion though, you can do what you want. where ive lived though the goths have caused as much trouble as the townies-so thats a reason why i dont like them. and i think every town is sick of gothy kids banging on about getting a skate park..HELLO? nobody will use it when skatings gone out of fashion, except to give kids another reason to hang round parks at night
  • Options
    'Goths' aren't the group that skates.. if your putting everyone in categories.. then those teenagers that want a skate park are generally called 'skaters.' Also, No matter what 'group' you are supposedly in if your in a group of teenagers then they are bound to cause some trouble.. from being too loud to the extremes of violence. I myself, don't hang round in gangs of 'goths' or 'skaters' or whatever other groups there are. And also i believe that there is too much vandalism/ crime/ evil. Not all 'Goths' as you call us are like that. It's mainly the ones who enjoy being labelled that are the 'troublemakers'
  • Options
    you shouldnt give a shit what people think. your never gonna change there minds and thats there problem. if you care then people will pick on you