Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting: the beginning of the end?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    your water is in a tap ...you don't see the lakes.
    your heating is across the other side of the city ...but your connected by a fuel hungry planet gobbling switch.
    you see paper and know nothing of the massive lumber and saw mill trade in my part of the world.
    you moan and groan about everything whilst you consume consume consume ...your confuckingsuming your selves!

:yes:

Just the other day I remember a poster commenting that he loves meat, but not when it looks like it came form an animal.

All these people are happy and selfish enough to enjoy meat with no thought for where it came from. I wonder how many meat eaters out there could actually kill and gut an animal before eating it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    That might be true MR but I'd be willing to bet the toff ratio at those demonstrations was significantly high. Let's not forget that hunting is a popular activity with most upper class folks, even if they don't go hunting themselves. Many of the Lords, the Royals and their polo-playing chums, the Range Rover brigade... Many of those people were at the demo two days ago and had their head cracked.

I work in Chelsea mate and every other local car- and virtually every estate and posh 4 x 4- has a bloody Countryside Alliance sticker on it.
    so what you realy want outlawing is toffs?
    all through this threasd the word toff crops up ...says a lot dunnit.

where did i read someone saying concrete floors for free range chickens ...was it BA ...the idea of free range chickens is that they eat slugs and insects ...grass and weeds ...all adds to the colour and taste of the egg. and concrete is more expensive than carpet believe me!

how city people dare dictate to country people from the comfort of their city armchairs is beyond me ...face it ...YOU ...live in a very manufactured world. WE ...live close to the earth and all its plants and creatures.
    yes some of us get enjoyment from blood sports ...it doesn't make us subhuman and barbaric ...it means we still feel and understand a reality that has been a big part of humankind like forever! a part which has put us at the very top of the food chain ...the very hight of achievement.
    your modern city beliefs to me look all to like history repeating itself ...a civilisation reaches its pinnacle and all the people become soft and corrupt and out of touch with themselves and their position ...the fall of the decadent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I would like to point out that is probably going to be a bias source, since it comes from the 'national fox welfare society'.

Look at the source of the study - Bristol University.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    :yes:

I wonder how many meat eaters out there could actually kill and gut an animal before eating it.
    i can and do.
    this country is now filling up with people who are planning to smash at least ten butchers shop windows a night! this is sane? this is education education education?
    what this is is ...society fragmenting into tribal like groups and attacking each other becuase we are loosing sight of what it is to be a human animal.
    there is no sense of comunity. no sense of all being on the same road.
    we are now individuals and i fear we are not built to be a mass of individuals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    ah yes, introducing more humans around on foot, with the guns, do you not think that is slightly more dangerous?

from talking to someone, a farmer, who's not only followed the hunt but also tried to shoot foxes himself, i got this information:

to kill a fox with a gun, you would need a high powered rifle and to be a marksman. if you used a shotgun, likelihood is you'd miss the spot for a clean kill and leave the bullet to fester inside the still alive animal, slowly poisoning it to death.

foxes are very clever and cunning animals. the above farmer once sat out for 3 nights in a row, waiting for the fox to come and steal his chickens. he knew where the fox would be within 2 feet, yet the fox didnt show. after the third night, they packed up, and the next night the fox got the chickens.

i would like to change my statement about foxes not being around during the day. foxes are not generally around for humans to see during the day, as they are wary and as soon as danger approaches will be off like a shot.

blackarab, i'm not sure what the supermarkets have to do with fox hunting?

how successful was this hunting with guns during the day? and how were the foxes found/flushed out?

Excuse the time its taken to reply, on your first point, like a lot of potentially dangerous activities, the correct training and personal responsibility is needed.

Supermarkets have nothing to do with fox-hunting, the point I am making is about farmers profits being squeezed because of the unfair demands from the supermarkets who buy their produce. Something I have sympathy with btw.

The footage I was refering to was a documentary about a Scottish gamekeeper who would hang out where the fox holes were imitating the cry of a wounded rabbit. The fox would come to investigate and were then shot using an ordinary shotgun. He managed to kill about 10-12 if I remember correctly in a day. None got away as they were killed instantly, lets face it most human s wouldn't be able to get away after taking both barrels from a shotgun.
  • Options
    this qoute from queen nabroo ...

if you used a shotgun, likelihood is you'd miss the spot for a clean kill and leave the bullet to fester inside the still alive animal, slowly poisoning it to death.

shotguns do not fire bullets.
    the first half is partly correct ...but if you get close up ...usualy cornered in a yard then you can kill them with a shotgun ...it's very messy and painfull as a shot gun fires many small lead balls ...known as shot.
    the shot spreads ...hitting the animal in a hundred places.
    the reason villains saw the barrel down is becuase the shorter the barrel the wider the shot ...meaning you can hit a number of people at the same time ...even thoose at the sides ...as well as being able to conceal it up your sleave.
    if a fox does get away after a shotgun blasyt it will have hundreds of wounds.
    another problem ...this government banned centrefire rifles ...as far as i'm aware a centrefire rifle has never been used in crimes other than assasination ...they are incredibly powerful and accurate.
    but not the sort of weapon your average crim would have much use for.
  • Options

where did i read someone saying concrete floors for free range chickens ...was it BA ...the idea of free range chickens is that they eat slugs and insects ...grass and weeds ...all adds to the colour and taste of the egg. and concrete is more expensive than carpet believe me!

Mr Roll, I looked after my grandmothers chickens when I was a kid, at night they slept in a secure coop, every morning I let them out into the yard. I am aware of the price of concrete but this is a business expense. When I was a market trader I had to pay for alarms and deadlocks on my van to keep the human vermin out.

For the record, not all us city folk are ignorant about farming and food production, people have become a lot more aware of these things over the last twenty years. Free range and organic food is fast growing, farmers markets have been set up in towns and cities, can't comment on anywhere else but the ones in Bristol are very popular and well-supported. But anyway this is a different issue.
  • Options
    I cant seem to back it up but when I was watching CountryFile on Sunday they were saying that fox hunters would still be able to do what they can in the off season now.

Hunt with just two dogs after 'problem' foxes.

Now, surely if thats the situation -

A) whats the point of the ban?

and B) why are so many people against it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Look at the source of the study - Bristol University.

You have however, linked to a bias site. Not to the original report, so we don't know what's been left out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    You have however, linked to a bias site. Not to the original report, so we don't know what's been left out.

True, but I couldn't find the original. But I do know that the report on that site is fairly accurate.
  • Options
    People in the countryside wanting to have the ability to go about life like they always have is what most are fighting for here. It's not just fox hunting. These are people that live and work the land. Now it just seems stupid to me that you can sit back in your armchair, in your manafactured world, and make decisions for people who live a life you know fuck all about.

If you people who are in favour of this ban were really worried about animal cruelty you'd consider very carefully what you eat. You can sit at home eating you microwave chicken with no thought for where it comes from yet fox hunting gets you all turned into animal rights campaigners. It's a fucking joke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Have you read the links I've posted earlier?

Foxhunting isn't by any means a long-held tradition of country life. In historical terms in fact foxhunting is a very recent activity.

What's wrong is wrong, and tradition and heritage (even though there is actually not much of that in foxhunting) do not change a thing.

We have the same debate in Spain about bullfighting, with the animal torturers regularly screaming about "ways of life", "heritage" and "history" in an attempt to defend the atrocity. Should chopping heads off at Royal request or burning people at the stake for being 'heretics' be brought back- fine traditions as they were of our fine countries?

The foxes are not owned by anyone. No one has the "right" to torn them to pieces for their own amusement.
  • Options
  • Options
    You can sit at home eating you microwave chicken with no thought for where it comes from yet fox hunting gets you all turned into animal rights campaigners. It's a fucking joke.

Are you including me in this? I suggest you reconsider.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I think that foie gras should be banned.

But you don't hear much about that.

What is that anyway? I'm not much of a posh eater, kill it, eat it, spit out feathers...
  • Options
    do those who wish to give the fox protection from it's hunters also go out of their way to avoid at all costs, purchasing products from nestle and other undesirable companies who harm people?
    life out there in the woods has always been tough you know.
    go camping in the woods ...listen to claw and beak and tooth slaughtering another ...how life and death is you know.
    do you feel remorse and guilt about roadkill ...if i hit a pheasant or a rabbit i don't pull over to bury the bloody thing ...
  • Options
    I know what you're saying mr, and when I was involved in animal rights I was vegan and tried to shop as ethically as possible. These days I think there are more important things to be bothered about however.
    But I do wish that the pro-fox hunting lobby would at least be honest about why they do it. It's a social thing, it isn't about pest control. Fell packs are slightly different and hunting for food is different and your point about roadkill is irrelevant.
    I agree that a lot of people are hypocritical, meat eaters who are anti-hunt but wouldn't kill and gut an animal. I was vegetarian for about 14 years, but have recently started to eat a bit of fish and chicken again, due to digestive problems. However I try my best to eat organic and free range wherever possible. I have friends who hunt their own food or raise chickens to eat and I have no problem with them.
    This is very different from hunting purely for fun though, which is what traditional fox hunting is about.
  • Options
    I know what you're saying mr, and when I was involved in animal rights I was vegan and tried to shop as ethically as possible. These days I think there are more important things to be bothered about however.
    But I do wish that the pro-fox hunting lobby would at least be honest about why they do it. It's a social thing, it isn't about pest control. Fell packs are slightly different and hunting for food is different and your point about roadkill is irrelevant.
    I agree that a lot of people are hypocritical, meat eaters who are anti-hunt but wouldn't kill and gut an animal. I was vegetarian for about 14 years, but have recently started to eat a bit of fish and chicken again, due to digestive problems. However I try my best to eat organic and free range wherever possible. I have friends who hunt their own food or raise chickens to eat and I have no problem with them.
    This is very different from hunting purely for fun though, which is what traditional fox hunting is about.
    thats one of the nicest replies i've heard from you in a long time ...you smoking?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    thats one of the nicest replies i've heard from you in a long time ...you smoking?

ha ha, no :D

I generally respect your opnions on here so I try to be nice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Foxhunting isn't by any means a long-held tradition of country life. In historical terms in fact foxhunting is a very recent activity.

I'm sure many people would use tradition as an argument, but I couldn't really care. I don't actually like the thought of hunting with hounds but then it doesn't really bother me either. It's only a bloody fox.

I'm more worried about what will be next. Shoots? Fishing? Both of which I enjoy when I get the time. And it pisses me off that those who know very little about how the countryside is managed can sit in their cities dictating to those that live there how it should be run.
    As I said before it's not just about the fox hunting. Many of those anti hunt protestors are only in it to wage war on the toffs, and many of those protestors against the ban are only worried about the way the government is neglecting the countryside. There's a lot of farmers who've already been pissed off with the way the government handled the BSE crisis and the Foot and Mouth.
    Are you including me in this? I suggest you reconsider..

I aimed that at those who eat meat with no thought of where it may come from.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    And it pisses me off that those who know very little about how the countryside is managed can sit in their cities dictating to those that live there how it should be run.

Yes and farmers have done a great job at looking after the countryside haven't they, with destruction of hedgerows, overuse of pesticides and fertilisers, intensive rearing of animals with hormones and anti-biotics etc.
    As I said before it's not just about the fox hunting. Many of those anti hunt protestors are only in it to wage war on the toffs,

Well yes, I do have a problem with the class system.
    and many of those protestors against the ban are only worried about the way the government is neglecting the countryside. There's a lot of farmers who've already been pissed off with the way the government handled the BSE crisis and the Foot and Mouth.

Maybe if farmers didn't feed animals to herbivores or if farming wasn't so industrialised, these things wouldn't have happened.

Sorry, but farmers are not blameless custodians of the countryside.
  • Options
    i still haven't spotted one pro-hunt person who has anything to say about the disregard for property the hunt has.
  • Options
    Yes and farmers have done a great job at looking after the countryside haven't they, with destruction of hedgerows, overuse of pesticides and fertilisers, intensive rearing of animals with hormones and anti-biotics etc.

Maybe if farmers didn't feed animals to herbivores or if farming wasn't so industrialised, these things wouldn't have happened.

Sorry, but farmers are not blameless custodians of the countryside.

i agree, but,

the pressure from us as consumers (via the supermarket) for cheap food means farmers, in order to survive, must maximise yields at the minimum cost. So having no hedges means that they can combine more easily which again saves money. spraying something the sales reps has been trained to promotes is seen as an easy option.

I think of drug reps in hospitals; with doctors they have the time to challenge the data presented whereas with a farmer who's been up since 4.30am (and not had a holiday since 1967) has someone who says this will make your life easier and make you money, well the pressure to use it is immense.

Rural decline is a massive problem. the average farm income has dropped to about £10 000, farmers commit suicide at a rate of about 1 a week. fox hunting is actually a very small part of rural life, the attention paid to it is disproportional.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    i still haven't spotted one pro-hunt person who has anything to say about the disregard for property the hunt has.

if you read an earlier post of mine i said my experince of hunts were of great respect to our land, even visits before to ask.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    if you read an earlier post of mine i said my experince of hunts were of great respect to our land, even visits before to ask.

My experience of hunts is the opposite.
  • Options
    My experience of hunts is the opposite.

which is fair enough, its a bit like my experience of the NHS and someone elses.

Its often the bad press that gets more attention.