Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting: the beginning of the end?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Hi.......and i agree with what you just said.

Hunting is naturally enjoyable. It's a thrill.
    The fox population needs to be controlled - why not enjoy doing it.
    It's narrowminded people that no nothing about it who have helped bring about this ban.
    and todays farce really made these protestors look stupid. Peaceful protests yes but todays was well out of order. I seen on the news a woman saying the police had hit her......well why was she in the frontline kinda thing ? what were the police supposed to do with people stampeding them ?

This hasnt helped them any in my opinion.

Unfortunately it seems that the protest may have been hijacked by others who had no intrest in the ban and the police were heavy handed. It's one thing using batons to hold a line and to keep people back, but from the pictures I saw the police were charging into the crowd hitting people at random.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Skive
    Hunting is naturally enjoyable.

In your opinion...........I dont agree that its enjoyable.
    but from the pictures I saw the police were charging into the crowd hitting people at random

They were charging at the people who were in front.....the ones that wouldnt back off, the ones that were charging forward. (thats what I saw anyhow)
    What do you expect the police to do ? stand there and take it ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I've debated with people who have actually been on hunts. They did it for fun. :mad:

Yes, hunting is fun.

From what i see on the news they are mostly upper class people who like to dress up and ride horses. Idiots.

And this bothers you why? What is the issue here - the people that go hunting or the method of hunting?
    A lot of it *is* just a pastime though. I am sure most people are not doing it because they are concerned about fox populations.

Though I agree that many to it for fun, there is a need.
    I don't know how it would be done,

No? Well let the people that actually mangage and live in the countryside decide.
    The people who make their living off the land.
    Surely things will balance out if nature is allowed to take it's course. Overpopulation and underpopulation etc etc.

Overpopulation with no natural pedators only results in a disease and sickness. There's nothing to sort the weak from the strong.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In your opinion...........I dont agree that its enjoyable.

Have you done it?
    I personally don't enjoy hunting with hounds and I'm not that good on a horse, but I do enjoy shooting and ferreting.
    They were charging at the people who were in front.....the ones that wouldnt back off, the ones that were charging forward. (thats what I saw anyhow)
    What do you expect the police to do ? stand there and take it ?

I expect the police to hold a linet, they do not need to go forward. It looked to me like there were far too many bleeding heads and I saw a fair number of police charging into the crowd and hitting out at random. Which is a bit naughty really.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've debated with people who have actually been on hunts. They did it for fun. :mad:

how many people were in this debate? just because they did it, doesn't mean everyone does

is it not possible to make a fox proof chicken coop

do you not think that this would have been done by now? people aren't stupid, and the person who did invent such a thing would be a very rich man. am i mistaken in thinking that foxes get into a coop by burrowing? it's very expensive to dig into the ground to put up a fence.
    From what i see on the news they are mostly upper class people who like to dress up and ride horses. Idiots.

A lot of it *is* just a pastime though. I am sure most people are not doing it because they are concerned about fox populations. They are doing it because they enjoy it.

maybe it's because the people who would otherwise do it- the farmers themselves- are terribly busy looking after their farms? therefore it makes sense to invite someone else in who will do it for free.

I don't know how it would be done, personally I don't think it would be *that* much of a problem. Surely anything is better than having the fox torn apart by a pack of hounds is a better way to die, if they even have to.

what do you suggest?
    Surely things will balance out if nature is allowed to take it's course. Overpopulation and underpopulation etc etc.

i believe the phrase "at it like rabbits" was coined because rabbits do breed at an amazing speed. foxes could not keep control of them.
    Telescopic lenses? The Americans use guns to kill foxes, maybe they'll show the Brits how if we ask them.

and how many farmers- remember the people who are poor enough and were crippled with the not too long ago food crises- will be able to afford telescopic lenses? hence you will still get the "hunters" who do it for fun, which seems to annoy a lot of you.

oh just as an aside, it isn't just little boys who get mistook for foxes:

this happened in my town
  • Options
    The footage I've seen twice now shows the hunters steaming into the police, they started lashing out to beat them back or get trampled.

Their batons were clearly out and they were in a line, you charge them in that situation you are going to get hit. Once this happens the police are going to charge the group to clear the immediate area before you can regroup and charge again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo

do you not think that this would have been done by now? people aren't stupid, and the person who did invent such a thing would be a very rich man. am i mistaken in thinking that foxes get into a coop by burrowing? it's very expensive to dig into the ground to put up a fence.

i believe the phrase "at it like rabbits" was coined because rabbits do breed at an amazing speed. foxes could not keep control of them.

and how many farmers- remember the people who are poor enough and were crippled with the not too long ago food crises- will be able to afford telescopic lenses? hence you will still get the "hunters" who do it for fun, which seems to annoy a lot of you.

oh just as an aside, it isn't just little boys who get mistook for foxes:

this happened in my town

A. Foxes cannot burrow through concrete floors.

B. The fox/rabbit theory was not a serious one.

C. Are you suggesting that hunting with guns is a danger to the general public?

:confused:
  • Options
    and how many farmers can afford to concrete their floors? plus doesnt that make the chickens even more into battery farm hens? it can't be very enjoyable for them!

er you may not have been serious, i think renzo was!

yes, guns are a danger to everyone. we now have two recent cases of a person getting shot instead of the fox - links to both stories in here.

anybody noticed that foxes aren't around in the daytime? which kinda means that you have to hunt at night- needing more expensive equipment and allowing for more errors, who says its going to be a fox and not a cat that you shoot? or you have to have something to flush out the fox...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    To microwave a kitten would be pure torture. The kitten would endure horrendous pain and torment from the radiation and could explode and split into pieces. There would be no justification for such an sick action.

Fox hunting however is justifiable, it controls the numbers and there is a genuine need for the fox population to be kept down. The death is fairly quick and cannot be compared to sticking a kitten in a microwave.

I believe your Spanish, will you condemn bull fighting?
    That is the crux of the matter. Contrary to claims by the pro-hunt lobby, vets and experts everywhere appear to queue up to say there is plenty of evidence to confirm that death does not come quickly. Not in many if not most cases.

If it was proven beyond doubt that death was relatively quick and painless I would not have any problems with hunting with dogs.

As for the bullfighting, yes I am completely against the brutal and disgusting practice. Just like here, there are people there who complain it is their "right" to do as they please with a bull because it is their "heritage" and "tradition.

Unfortunately bullfighting is still legal in most regions in Spain. Hopefully one day we will follow Britain's example- though I expect opposition to be just as fierce.
  • Options
    and how many farmers can afford to concrete their floors? plus doesnt that make the chickens even more into battery farm hens? it can't be very enjoyable for them!

er you may not have been serious, i think renzo was!

yes, guns are a danger to everyone. we now have two recent cases of a person getting shot instead of the fox - links to both stories in here.

anybody noticed that foxes aren't around in the daytime? which kinda means that you have to hunt at night- needing more expensive equipment and allowing for more errors, who says its going to be a fox and not a cat that you shoot? or you have to have something to flush out the fox...

How many? the majority, we're talking concrete not persian rugs for crying out loud plus chickens can be let out during the day.

So do you suggest we ban hunting with guns as they are so dangerous to everyone?

By the way foxes are around during the day also, I've seen them. There's quite a few in Bristol. They are also hunted during the day, I thought you would have known this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Aladdin, I'm surprised at your arguments. Usually you are the first to insist on proper, unbiased sources to back up any stance. You know damn well that rumour and myth are not acceptable on these boards as viable alternatives. I'm also rather taken aback by the fact that you think the Government invoking the Parliament Act whenever it doesn't get it's own way is a good thing.
    I'm not aware of many unbiased sources offering evidence one way or the other GWST. There appears to be only the data of the anti-hunt lobby on one side and the pro-hunt lobby on the other. Though I must say I have much more trust in well-established animal welfare and Royal charity organisations than in a political lobbying group created a few years ago with the primary goal of stopping a ban from taking place. I very much doubt the former would be inventing doctors and testimonies regarding autopsies of foxes and what they reveal.

As for the Parliament Act, I think this issue has raised some points of concern regarding the working of the Houses. Whether one likes it or not, MPs have been from the very beginning overwhelmingly in favour of a ban. Moreover the ban has always been a high profile point in Labour's manifesto. That the Lords are able to torpedo the passing of the Bill time after time after time amounts to little more than extortion and it is a total fallacy that does not reflect the will of Parliament or the people.
  • Options
    hunted by hounds during the day? so the foxes can be flushed out by the hounds...

and well, bristol is a city. city animals do tend to act differently. out here, i've only ever spotted them at night. but i'll check on that one.

i'm not sure you realise how poor farmers are, they have seriously been crippled, during the Foot and Mouth a large percentage of farmers packed it in!

i personally don't like guns. but i am not suggesting hunting with guns be banned, i just do not think it is a viable alternative.
  • Options
    hunted by hounds during the day? so the foxes can be flushed out by the hounds...

and well, bristol is a city. city animals do tend to act differently. out here, i've only ever spotted them at night. but i'll check on that one.

i'm not sure you realise how poor farmers are, they have seriously been crippled, during the Foot and Mouth a large percentage of farmers packed it in!

i personally don't like guns. but i am not suggesting hunting with guns be banned, i just do not think it is a viable alternative.

I've seen them in the countryside during the day and have seen footage of them being hunted with guns during the day also.

I am well aware that some farmers have seen revenues fall in recent years and when any business becomes financially unsustainable its in danger of collapse. Maybe they should take their direct action more often to the supermarkets who have a bigger influence over their lives than fox-hunting. You don't have to live in the countryside to be aware of agricultural or rural issues.
  • Options
    I heard on the local news tonight (devon and cornwall) with an interview with RSPCA, that the 'myth' about hounds being shot.

basically the man said that the protesters for fox hunting are using the excuse "but we will have to shoot our hounds" and like he said on the news "they would be shot anyway if they do not match the standards required they would be shot"
    he said that the protesters were "crying crodcodile tears" they were aware that a ban may be coming for years now yet they still bred the dogs.

He also mentioned that there were kinder ways of getting rid of foxes.

As a country bumkin myself this does concern me and i for one hate the idea of fox hunting.

i dont see how the argument "hunting is a natural thing in life, not for fun it isnt"
  • Options
    One question for the pro-hunt mob - if its about pest control, why do a lot of hunts actually breed foxes to hunt?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

No? Well let the people that actually mangage and live in the countryside decide.
    The people who make their living off the land.

How come lots of farmers are anti-hunt?
  • Options

anybody noticed that foxes aren't around in the daytime?

What on earth are you on about? Fox hunts happen during the day. The hounds flush out a cover and then give chase. Humans could flush a cover in much the same way as beaters in a grouse shoot, or a rough shoot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    For me its even more reason to dislike the whole thing. The idea of getting your kicks from chasing an animal and watching it being ripped to death is perverse.

Because, of course if they hunted the animal to death and hated every minute of it it'd be ok.
  • Options
    Telescopic lenses? The Americans use guns to kill foxes, maybe they'll show the Brits how if we ask them.

Illegal in this country
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What on earth are you on about? Fox hunts happen during the day. The hounds flush out a cover and then give chase. Humans could flush a cover in much the same way as beaters in a grouse shoot, or a rough shoot.

yes, I think you may have stumbled across on the point of hunting with hounds. They flush foxes out. They hunt the fox, the fox dies. End of hunt.

If you want to hunt a fox with a gun it has to be done at night, which I'm sure you'll agree is dangerous, only last week someone was shot and killed during the activity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Because, of course if they hunted the animal to death and hated every minute of it it'd be ok.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Illegal in this country

and totally unnecessary also as it is possible to hunt using guns without them, it wasn't a serious suggestion btw
  • Options
    and totally unnecessary also as it is possible to hunt using guns without them, it wasn't a serious suggestion btw

ok, serious suggestion aside. Many people seem to think that hunting foxes with guns is an acceptable alternative. not only is the level of skill required expensive to hire, but the guns needed are illegal and the necessity for night time hunting dangerous.
  • Options
    I look forward to a pro-hunt supporter answering Blagsta's question about foxes being bred on purpose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I look forward to a pro-hunt supporter answering Blagsta's question about foxes being bred on purpose.

find me a source that says about it, and i'll gladly answer that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    I heard on the local news tonight (devon and cornwall) with an interview with RSPCA, that the 'myth' about hounds being shot.

basically the man said that the protesters for fox hunting are using the excuse "but we will have to shoot our hounds" and like he said on the news "they would be shot anyway if they do not match the standards required they would be shot"
    he said that the protesters were "crying crodcodile tears" they were aware that a ban may be coming for years now yet they still bred the dogs.

He also mentioned that there were kinder ways of getting rid of foxes.

As a country bumkin myself this does concern me and i for one hate the idea of fox hunting.

i dont see how the argument "hunting is a natural thing in life, not for fun it isnt"

what kinder solutions were mentioned?

and yes, the people who take part in the actual hunt may be doing it for the thrill of the chase, but the necessity for the hunt still remains in accordance with nature.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta

ah yes, introducing more humans around on foot, with the guns, do you not think that is slightly more dangerous?

from talking to someone, a farmer, who's not only followed the hunt but also tried to shoot foxes himself, i got this information:

to kill a fox with a gun, you would need a high powered rifle and to be a marksman. if you used a shotgun, likelihood is you'd miss the spot for a clean kill and leave the bullet to fester inside the still alive animal, slowly poisoning it to death.

foxes are very clever and cunning animals. the above farmer once sat out for 3 nights in a row, waiting for the fox to come and steal his chickens. he knew where the fox would be within 2 feet, yet the fox didnt show. after the third night, they packed up, and the next night the fox got the chickens.

i would like to change my statement about foxes not being around during the day. foxes are not generally around for humans to see during the day, as they are wary and as soon as danger approaches will be off like a shot.

blackarab, i'm not sure what the supermarkets have to do with fox hunting?

how successful was this hunting with guns during the day? and how were the foxes found/flushed out?
  • Options
    I see foxes during the day all the time. They come into my garden.

By the way, are you denying that hunts breed foxes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I see foxes during the day all the time. They come into my garden.

By the way, are you denying that hunts breed foxes?

I have never been aware of a hunt breeding foxes. I'm sure that people have bred foxes so they can continue to have fun in the past. But the claim is so far unsubstantiated. So prove it or shut up.
  • Options
    I have never been aware of a hunt breeding foxes. I'm sure that people have bred foxes so they can continue to have fun in the past. But the claim is so far unsubstantiated. So prove it or shut up.

yes please, i'd like a source to prove it, otherwise it's just rumours and slander.

are you in your garden at the time you see them? or in your house?

also, do you live in the city or the country? city foxes are less wary than country ones.