Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should TheSite be off-limits to foreigners

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    For once people don't fight, and then it resembles a kindergarten? :confused:

People arent deabting, its more like playground antics......hence the comment I made about being in Kindergarden.

People dont want to prevent others from learning but if you have very little knowledge of a language then its pretty poinltless coming to a site like this which is based in the UK. If somoene like yourself comes here and can speak English then of course nobody could or would complain, but if you want to learn a new language then this isnt really the place to do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    its not other peoples job to go and try to translate what i have tried to say.
    i\ve been trying to translate what you say ever since you got here ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i\ve been trying to translate what you say ever since you got here ...

you should be able to understand me by now :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Is this really the Politic and Debate Forum ? It seems like Ive just walked into kindergarden.

Cant people leave the stupidness back where it belongs ?

Sorry, we were only messing about...

I did post in 6 languages earlier though.
  • Options
    Should British people be banned from going to Spain or Greece if they can't speak Spanish or Greek?
  • Options
    Makes sense to me. ;)

Seriously though, as a Spaniard I must say a few foreign visitors to Spain don't make the effort to even learn 'please' and 'thank you'. It's terribly rude. The majority aren’t like that though.

Seeing endless fast food joints, chip shops, "British" pubs and "British branded goods" shops at some resorts is not very nice either... I sometimes wonder why they bother going to Spain in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Makes sense to me. ;)

Seriously though, as a Spaniard I must say a few foreign visitors to Spain don't make the effort to even learn 'please' and 'thank you'. It's terribly rude. The majority aren’t like that though.

Seeing endless fast food joints, chip shops, "British" pubs and "British branded goods" shops at some resorts is not very nice either... I sometimes wonder why they bother going to Spain in the first place.

Actually, I agree totally with you. I just wish more people here could look at the other side of the coin and not be so rude to people who don't speak English very well when they come over here.
  • Options
    For sun, sex and cheap boose, though sometimes not in that order. They dont want to deal with the locals their foreign.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    not be so rude to people who don't speak English very well when they come over here.

are you talking tourists or people who come here to live ?

I personally have not got a problem with tourists who may come here who have basic English the problem arises for me when people move here and cannot speak one word of English, to me if you move to a country then you learn their language, you dont move and expect to take your language with you.....now thats bad manners to me.
  • Options
    Mind you, my sister is one of the locals in Mallorca and they think that in the other hand it is quite a good thing that low end of the tourist trade and their tacky shops and themed pubs are all contained within an area (in this case Magaluf), thus sparing the rest of the island. ;)
  • Options
    I mean tourists really. And I agree with you about at least making an attempt to learn the language if you're going to live there.

I get really annoyed when you see on TV these English families moving out to Spain and not speaking a word of Spanish and getting all annoyed when the builder they've got to renovate the old ruin they've bought only speaks Spanish.

*rant over!
  • Options
    Bloody immigrants! They move into my country uninvited, nick all the properties, push up prices for the locals and don't even attempt to learn the local culture and integrate in the customs of their new home!

Sounds familiar, anyone? :D