Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should TheSite be off-limits to foreigners

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lukesh
    it's really obvious this is....

if you can't speak English to this level on this site then simply don't post... but I thinlk they should try and stick around so they can get a better understanding of the language.

It's not gramaticall correct to say "It's really obvious this is", mainly because it's an imcomplete sentance but there is discomfort caused by repitition of the conjunctive 'is'.

More appropriate wording would be "This is really obvious" or "It's really obvious" as opposed to a combination of the two.

The second part of your statement can be found to be humourous (to anal english students like myself) because the only qualifying example is your own incorrect use of English. As far as I'm away the use of 'at' or 'to' would depend upon the placement of example within the statement.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    It was only a joke. Come on, lighten up. :)

We debate politics, we left our senses of humour at the door on the way in. Didn't you see the sign

"Please check your humour and sense of proportion here"

I would have thought you'd have noticed that no-one has either in this forum. If you want funny, post a jokes thread in anything goes.
  • Options
    As I said yesterday - bet you're fun at parties. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    As I said yesterday - bet you're fun at parties. :rolleyes:

Look up in the dictionary the words sardonic, sarcasm, satire and research the process of 'sending oneself up'.

If I were no fun at parties, then my friends wouldn't invite me to them. They don't happen very often anymore though, much to my dismay, as my friends are all at uni, and I am yet to depart.
  • Options
    it goes down to local dirlect on how you woudl say things I think.

Sorry mate, got carried away.

But technically in formal speach/communication/debate we should all be using standard english, just to attempt to preserve clarity. It doesn't do to slip into dialect, it's simply not cricket.
  • Options
    i agree.

I was 100% worser around 12 months ago with my speech and communication genrally, people that close to how they talk at home they use it all of the time with out realising how thick and stupid they are.

I am really going to try and get to grips with my English, it does show me up.

Do so, fairly or not, I find it difficult to take a person seriously when they cannot contruct a sentance with some competance at grammar or punctuation. Spelling I can forgive, so long as it's not to prolific.

(I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your use of the word 'worser' was simply a typo and not deliberate ;) )
  • Options
    it was deliberate... why?

Tell me you're joking! :banghead:

You should have said '100% worse' on the basis that 'worser' isn't a word.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Look up in the dictionary the words sardonic, sarcasm, satire and research the process of 'sending oneself up'.

I suggest you get lessons in them then. You're rubbish. :p
  • Options
    I suggest you get lessons in them then. You're rubbish. :p

Did you look them up? And you still don't like the way I was sardonically sending myself up? Well I just don't know what to say to you...
  • Options
    Yes I know what they mean thanks. You're just rubbish at them.
  • Options
    Well that's just a matter of opinion isn't it

There are plenty of people who think my written style is simply hilarious.
  • Options
    I'm sure there are. Don't take it too personally, I'm just amusing myself.
    Now, you gonna answer my questions here ?
  • Options
    I'm sure there are. Don't take it too personally, I'm just amusing myself.
    Now, you gonna answer my questions here ?

I am satisfied with my response.

Why? did you ask something different that I care about?
  • Options
    I'm just amused at your attempts to get involved in a discussion where you know nothing about the subject. If I know nothing about a discussion topic, I either try to find out about it or I keep quiet.
  • Options
    I'm just amused at your attempts to get involved in a discussion where you know nothing about the subject. If I know nothing about a discussion topic, I either try to find out about it or I keep quiet.

No, you think I know nothing, and refuse to accept a valid point of view. Honestly, you're like a kid with a favourite, and extremely annoying, toy, you just won't leave it alone.
  • Options
    It's not a valid point of view though. If you knew anything about the subject, you'd know that.
    As for me not leaving it alone? I'm just passing the time...
  • Options
    It's not a valid point of view though. If you knew anything about the subject, you'd know that.
    As for me not leaving it alone? I'm just passing the time...

It's my point of view, based on my life experience with dozy ex-friends who are now in God only knows what ditch, despite my efforts to help them. You, and anyone else on this planet, have no right to judge whether my view is valid or not, even if you don't agree with it.

Go and get a new hobby.
  • Options
    And I'm telling you, as a professional working in the drugs rehab/counselling field, that your view is not valid*. You will NEVER stop people taking drugs. Ever. Its part of human nature to want to change our consciousness. And as such, it makes sense to do it as safely as possible. And that means legalisation.
    Unless you actually like gangsters controlling parts of our inner cities?

[edit to add]
    *maybe unrealistic is a better way of putting it
  • Options
    And I'm telling you, as a professional working in the drugs rehab/counselling field, that your view is not valid. You will NEVER stop people taking drugs. Ever. Its part of human nature to want to change our consciousness. And as such, it makes sense to do it as safely as possible. And that means legalisation.
    Unless you actually like gangsters controlling parts of our inner cities?

Shut up now. My view is as valid as anyone elses, you just don't like it. I know it's valid as people are able to abstain from drugs totally, or give them up once they've started. It happens, it's real, it's just not common.
  • Options
    No, your view is unrealistic rubbish. Please try and accept that you don't really know what you're talking about. You'll feel better for it. Really.
  • Options
    No, your view is unrealistic rubbish. Please try and accept that you don't really know what you're talking about. You'll feel better for it. Really.

Shut up. You have no idea what I have lived through, or why I have come to my conclusions.
  • Options
    Enlighten me then.
  • Options
    Go read back over the legalisation thread, it's got a small slice of it there. Otherwise it is NONE of your business.
  • Options
    I'll just have to conclude that you don't know what you're talking about then won't I?

Of course people can abstain and give up drugs (otherwise I'd be out of a job!), but to demand that no one ever takes drugs ever ever again ever for ever after, amen is just plain daft.
  • Options
    I'll just have to conclude that you don't know what you're talking about then won't I?

You can do whatever the hell you want so long as you learn to drop the subject.
  • Options
    As I said, I'm passing the time until I feel like going to bed. Lighten up and stop taking it all so personally...
  • Options
    You started on personal. I have quite happiliy avoided it for every other topic i've debated in.
  • Options
    I like your sig. Did you think of it all by yourself?
  • Options
    btw, don't always take me so seriously. I'm passing the time, having a laff, like most people on bulletin boards.

But I do believe that if you ask anyone working with drug users, they'll tell you that you are being unrealistic.
  • Options
    No, that would be exclusionary. I think hearing from diverse people is a good thing, not a bad thing, and it is worth it to wade through the bad English.