Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should TheSite be off-limits to foreigners

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by USA#1-TrQ
    No, that would be exclusionary. I think hearing from diverse people is a good thing, not a bad thing, and it is worth it to wade through the bad English.

i agree but i think they should speak english, its a all english website.
  • Options
    Joder, no habia visto yo este comentario con eso de que estaba de vacaciones.

Que tonteria no? Los extranjeros tenemos tanto derecho a contribuir como qualquier otro!

Creo que voy a escribir en Español por una semana para protestar contra este ultraje.

:p
  • Options
    World Wide Web ....
    no i haven't read any replies to this thread.
  • Options
    LOL. You know where this thread is heading don't you?

Expect to see 4 or 5 more languages before the day is over. :D
  • Options
    Ready?

English:
    When someone has put in the effort of learning a language, I am impressed by it. I know that I have not put the same kind of effort in my own skills. At university I intend to take up French again. Also on my list of languages, Chinese, Italian and Japanese

Chinese (simplified):
    当某人投入了在学会语言努力, 我由它打动。我知道, 我未投入这同样努力在我自己的技能。在大学我打算再占去法语。并且在语言、汉语、意大利语和日语我的名单

Japanese:
    誰かが言語の勉強の努力に置いたら、私はそれによって印象づけられる。私は私が私の自身の技術に同じ一種の努力を置かなかったことを知っている。大学で私はフランス語を再度とるように意図する。また言語、中国語、イタリア語および日本語の私のリストで

French:
    Quand quelqu'un a mis dans l'effort d'apprendre une langue, je suis impressionné par elle. Je sais que je n'ai pas mis le même genre d'effort dans mes propres qualifications. À l'université j'ai l'intention de prendre le français encore. En outre sur ma liste de langues, de Chinois, d'Italien et de Japonais

Italian:
    Quando qualcuno ha messo nello sforzo di imparare una lingua, sono impressionato da esso. So che non ho messo lo stesso genere di sforzo nelle mie proprie abilità. All'università intendo riprendere il francese. Inoltre sulla mia lista delle lingue, del cinese, dell'italiano e del giapponese

Russian:
    Когда кто-то клало в усилие учить язык, я впечатлен им. Я знаю что я не клал такой же вид усилия в мои собственные искусства. На университете я предназначаю take up франчуз снова. Также на моем перечне языки, китаец, итальянка и японец

There are probably a lot of errors in grammar there, so sorry. But at least I tried. 5 languages was it Aladin?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    How did you post in script like that, do you have a special program?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    How did you post in script like that, do you have a special program?

I copy and pasted, it brought whatver programming with it. If you look at it in the edit format, the symbols don't show.
  • Options
    Ahh I see, how disappointing...
  • Options
    Ahh I see, how disappointing...

And I do hate to disappoint, sorry.
  • Options
    Fdsobki iusdvgbsd safiuysvd vsdaigvsadki asvuy vsduyvf jvsduy fauyfj ghujologogoch. Gfasg yafn vhysdf lkihdb vuvweew!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Fdsobki iusdvgbsd safiuysvd vsdaigvsadki asvuy vsduyvf jvsduy fauyfj ghujologogoch. Gfasg yafn vhysdf lkihdb vuvweew!

Now now, just because you're jealous.
  • Options
    How long does it take to learn Japanese fiend? Or have you been brought up with it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    How long does it take to learn Japanese fiend? Or have you been brought up with it?

I'm naturally English speaking, and not even remotely bi-lingual, learning Japanese is like learning any other language. Did you know that in Austrailia they learn Mandarin and Japanese in the way that in Europe people learn french, english, german and spanish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    so... does anyone speak some french?

Je peux parler francais.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I'm naturally English speaking, and not even remotely bi-lingual, learning Japanese is like learning any other language. Did you know that in Austrailia they learn Mandarin and Japanese in the way that in Europe people learn french, english, german and spanish.

Thought you were (semi-)fluent...
    Japanese and Chinese would usually take more time to learn as
    a. their "alphabet" is different from ours.
    b. they don't spell, but rather use symbols.

My dad attempted to teach himself Japanese at some point. Bought himself some books, and got far enough to be able to read what was written in the front of the Hermés shop. But he never attempted to learn how to speak.
  • Options
    I learnt Japanese at uni, and found the language to be as easy as any other, it is the writing that takes the learning effort. Would you agree Fiend? And Japanese and Chinese are much more common in NSW and Queensland than anywhere else in Australia, I learnt French and Italian when I was at school....
  • Options

yeh when i was 7 we went on holiday to australia for 3 months and my mum put me and my sis into a normal school part time-ish and my sister learnt how to count in japanese
  • Options
    Oui. Tres bien. Je parle peu francaie, Comment vas tu ?

Don't tempt me... I spent three months in quebec mate, I've really quite good now.
  • Options
    I learnt Japanese at uni, and found the language to be as easy as any other, it is the writing that takes the learning effort. Would you agree Fiend? And Japanese and Chinese are much more common in NSW and Queensland than anywhere else in Australia, I learnt French and Italian when I was at school....

Personally, I think that learning to write Japanese and Chinese will be easier for me, than say, french, as I don't think my dyslexia will affect it. How big is the emphasis on foreign languages in Australia?
  • Options
    I'm also going to study Chinese Mandarin at uni, have done a little already, and yes I agree with you LadyJade, the language offers no problems, in fact some ways grammar is easier etc. It's just the writing that takes more studying.

I did French, Spanish, Italian and a small amount of Chinese whilst at school.

Australians learn more Asian languages because of the closer proximity and the amount of trading done over there.

Lukesh, pour quoi parlez-vous francais? avez-vous l'apprendre au college?
  • Options
    How big is the emphasis on foreign languages in Australia?
    It was historically quite a big thing for convent based and privately owned schools to learn French, as Australia identified closely with Europe; then about 10 years ago the government had a big push to learn Indonesian and other South East Asian languages as part of their strategy to identify Australia as the political leader in the Indo-Pacific region. But as Australia borders no other countries, I believe there is a general feeling that it isn't that important to learn another language, there is no great necessity to.
  • Options
    It was historically quite a big thing for convent based and privately owned schools to learn French, as Australia identified closely with Europe; then about 10 years ago the government had a big push to learn Indonesian and other South East Asian languages as part of their strategy to identify Australia as the political leader in the Indo-Pacific region. But as Australia borders no other countries, I believe there is a general feeling that it isn't that important to learn another language, there is no great necessity to.

Makes sense. They stil learn french as well as asian languages though right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Joder, no habia visto yo este comentario con eso de que estaba de vacaciones.

Que tonteria no? Los extranjeros tenemos tanto derecho a contribuir como qualquier otro!

Creo que voy a escribir en Español por una semana para protestar contra este ultraje.

:p

Ay, que bueno, un ano ha pasado cuando no ha estudiado la lengua, ya puedo comprenderlo!

donde fuiste para las vacaciones?
  • Options
    J'ai appris peu francais par mon individual (SP). Mon ecole est mauvais pour le francais

ah, bien. c'est pas mal! pour quoi voulez-vous apprendre cette langue?
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    ah, bien. c'est pas mal! pour quoi voulez-vous apprendre cette langue?

*grins* Are we both showing off now?

Did you like my multi-language post on pg 4?
  • Options
    thanks for reminding me to go and read the rest of the thread, i got distracted once i saw aladdin and lukesh's posts... I#ll brb!
  • Options
    Makes sense. They stil learn french as well as asian languages though right?

Yes they do.
  • Options
    J'aime aussi apprendre les langues, et c'est plus facile et interessante de voyager si on sait la langue. Pour apprendre la langue, les examens ne sont tres importants, c'est l'effort que vous appliquez dans les cours.

et pour Fiend, C'est tres bien, je peux lire quelqun characteres Chinois...
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    J'aime aussi apprendre les langues, et c'est plus facile et interessante de voyager si on sait la langue. Pour apprendre la langue, les examens ne sont tres importants, c'est l'effort que vous appliquez dans les cours.

Indeed, despite doing quite well in french, I was rubbish at conversation. Until I was immersed in it. It's the way forward!
  • Options
    mais c'est pas vrai, beaucoup de gens parlent l'anglais. La traveste est qu'on demande qu'ils parlent anglais!