Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should TheSite be off-limits to foreigners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Or more accurately, non-english speaking foreigners? I mean even the most foreign people here are good at english and use english in theor posts etc. But one newbie, sevenblue or something can't without using a translator and then people moan and she moans etc.

I am in no way saying I'm against foreigners using this site but just as in real life you would expect someone coming here to have a basic grasp of english or vice versa if you were visiting their country (I know this isn't always true of british holidaymakers)

Anyway. Your views?

Comments

• Options
    no, it shouldnt be offlimits. If you dont want to respond to someones posts, then dont.
  • Options
    No. Next?
  • Options
    I wasn't being nasty.
  • Options
    Still a daft question.
  • Options
    No its impratical, unenforceable and a bit silly.
  • Options
    Re: Should TheSite be off-limits to foreigners
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    I am in no way saying I'm against foreigners using this site but just as in real life you would expect someone coming here to have a basic grasp of english or vice versa if you were visiting their country (I know this isn't always true of british holidaymakers)

You only expect them to know some English because of how important that language is in modern days. I expect none of the foreigners that come to Iceland to know any Icelandic. It's actually more common that they expect me to communicate in their languages.

And I disagree with making thesite off-limits to foreigners. If people had never bothered talking/writing to me while my English was less than good, I would never have learnt how to use it properly (not that it's anywhere near perfect now).
    In the same way I do talk Icelandic to people who speak it badly, but are still trying, no matter how much I wish to make my life easier and switch to English. It often annoys me a lot and I sometimes get the feeling I'm talking to a brick wall, but they are trying, and if nobody had had the patience to help me by communicating while I was learning, I would not have made much of a progress.
  • Options
    If you can't speak English then really I don't see the point of coming to an English-speaking website. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't come, but the newbie you are referring to really shouldn't be here expecting us to all speak Italian.

As it is the internet as opposed to real life it is easier to be harsher, because there aren't any tourism or business reasons.
  • Options
    thesite shouldnt be off limits to foriegners no!!!

but if the person doesnt speak english at all well then its sorta a waste of time for them....but still their decision
  • Options
    No, how would their english improve?
  • Options
    Ahh, Englands final Empire victory, forcing English on all the peoples of the world through the internet.
  • Options
    The Empire Strikes back?
  • Options
    Indeed, we gave them cricket, manors, tea time and now the wording of pointless message boards. Our work is done.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you can't speak English then really I don't see the point of coming to an English-speaking website. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't come, but the newbie you are referring to really shouldn't be here expecting us to all speak Italian.

pretty much what i was gonna say.

everyone is welcome, but we all speak english, so if they want to join in, it'd be better for them to speak english too.

go and post something english on an italian website and see what response you get.
  • Options
    Maybe I phrased the question a little harshly. What is more my way of thinking was "Should non-english typing/speaking foreigners be advised not to join/post"
  • Options
    We're really not in the business of pre-judging people before they post here. If they want to post in a foreign language they just won't get much of a response.

If they are posting in broken english they will hardly look out of place ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

go and post something english on an italian website and see what response you get.

I was very welcomed actually.
  • Options
    The Italians are known for their love of dancing cats though so it may have just been that.
  • Options
    ive talked to a lot of foreign people on irc and such, and pretty much 99% of them speak english, i even managed to have a full conversation with a 10 year old danish boy, but what im saying is, most people will speak at least a bit of english so i dont think it should be off limits for people who dont speak full (or at all english) because there may be people who use these boards that come from the same place as this foreigner has come from, and speaks good english so they will be able to translate for them or something
  • Options
    bongbudda, forcing English on foreigners?

I don't know if you forgot to notice the .org.uk domain, but that means the website is ENGLISH. I wouldn't go to a co.it website and expect them to speak fluent English because I don't know any Italian.

Everyone's welcome, it's a good way to learn English. But if you can't speak a word then it seems a mite pointless to stay.
  • Options
    No.
    Why? If someone can't speak the lingo they'll either learn like Fafnir or they will leave.
    How do you propose to enforce it, test them when they join??!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    No.
    Why? If someone can't speak the lingo they'll either learn like Fafnir or they will leave.
    How do you propose to enforce it, test them when they join??!

It's one thing to expect a person to speak decent english if they want to emmigrate here, but I don't remember having to show my passport at the boarders of thesite.org.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    it's really obvious this is....

if you can't speak English to this level on this site then simply don't post

Anyone spot the irony? :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Maybe I phrased the question a little harshly. What is more my way of thinking was "Should non-english typing/speaking foreigners be advised not to join/post"

No. Next?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Anyone spot the irony? :D

Do you propose correcting Luke's grammar, syntax, spelling and punctuation every time he posts?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Do you propose correcting Luke's grammar, syntax, spelling and punctuation every time he posts?

Fuck me, you're a humourless miseryguts aren't you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85

Because dyslexia is such a joke :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Fuck me, you're a humourless miseryguts aren't you?

I was being sardonic. It's so hard to communicate such things with just words.
  • Options
    It was only a joke. Come on, lighten up. :)
  • Options
    Those who don't have any basic understanding of English language are, in truth, not likely to stumble across this site, nevermind join and start posting like mad in their native languages.
    And if they do, they'll eventually either switch to English, or leave.

I honestly can't see any need to stick something somewhere to discourage those people from joining when it happens so incredibly rarely (has it ever?).