Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

religion...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Saying 'church' and 'mass' are christian oriented, specifically catholic. Be more careful with your points in future.
    Well since I made the correction right away the issue should have been laid to rest. Any comments/accusations made after I made the clarification are nothing more than unfounded rubbish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Frankly I don't care in the slightest what Christians might think their duty is. As far as I'm concerned there's no command in the Bible that tells followers they must control other people's lives even if they don't subscribe to the same beliefs. But even if there were, the rights of the individual and of society at large come before the rights of any particular religion in this country. This is not a theocracy.

As I said before- they should keep themselves to themselves.

You think they should keep themselves to themselves. As aformentioned the message and the church often become confused. It's more important for them to tell for example you, that Christ came, loved you, died for you, rose again from the dead, so that if you believe in him you'll never die. Than your preference which is to continue to live in your anti-religion bubble.
  • Options
    Well since I made the correction right away the issue should have been laid to rest. Any comments/accusations made after I made the clarification are nothing more than unfounded rubbish.

You didn't correct yourself until the point was brought up.
  • Options
    It's the trend these days. I'm so glad you've got room to hate some many people equally.
    The important thing is that I don't act on my dislike of them- as opposed to the great majority of fundies and god-botherers who believe they have the right to actively interfere with other people's lives and dictate how life should be for everyone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    if you dispise religious people isn't that racist?

Theist?? It's a good point though.
  • Options
    You didn't correct yourself until the point was brought up.
    Err... because I wasn't even aware some people were making issues of it?
  • Options
    Err... because I wasn't even aware some people were making issues of it?

Well you'd think it'd be something you'd realise, at any rate, if you have an opinion give it evenly and correctly. Or say that you will use christianity as an example. As I did.
  • Options
    if you dispise religious people isn't that racist?
    I despise organised religion.

STOP putting words in my mouth Luke.

As I said a million times I don't have a problem with people being religious so long as they don't bother me and try to affect life for others.

Have you got it now or should I say it again?
  • Options
    Well you'd think it'd be something you'd realise, at any rate, if you have an opinion give it evenly and correctly. Or say that you will use christianity as an example. As I did.
    What are you on about?
  • Options
    What are you on about?

That you made a specific reference to Christianity without saying 'as an example' and then complain that people bring you up on it. Either be broad or be crystal clear.
  • Options
    I'm not getting worked out. I don't like having to repeat myself hundreds of times in one thread alone for no good reason whatsoever.

Luckily I don't care what you might think of me. I find your attempts to accuse me of being a "racist" because I don't like organised religion as ridiculous as amusing.
  • Options
    why are you getting worked up over it then?

you don't let religion into your life so....???? :confused:

it is certainly odd that you are posting so vociferously on a thread about religion when you're not interested Aladdin...
  • Options
    exactly my point again.

Oi! Piss off and get your own points! :D
  • Options
    I am certainly interested in the tyranny of organised religion and the effect it has on all of us.

Which bring us back to the original point yet again: I have no problem as long as they keep themselves to themselves.

Sadly that has never been the case, even today. So I shall continue to talk about organised religion at great length for as long as they attempt to dictate other people's lives.

I think I’m just going to make a template out of this and post it in subsequent posts, if you two don’t mind. Seeing as you apparently still fail to see the point…
  • Options
    Try to think of something different to say...
  • Options
    Try to think of something different to say...

You can talk mate! You've been a broken record this morning. At least I've had some points behind my arguements. If you really hate the effect that organised religion has had. Don't ever go to a hospital, because Christians are responsible for the first. Don't give to charity, because Christians started them too. Organised religion isn't all bad.
  • Options
    You can talk mate! You've been a broken record this morning. At least I've had some points behind my arguements. If you really hate the effect that organised religion has had. Don't ever go to a hospital, because Christians are responsible for the first. Don't give to charity, because Christians started them too. Organised religion isn't all bad.
    But it is also responsible for much of the prejudice and backward mentality that still exists today. Which you and Luke have continuously refused to acknowledge.

If religion didn't exist, how many people do you think would have a problem with euthanasia, cohabitation, same-sex relationships or same-sex marriage?

It is because of religious opposition, either officially or through politicians who share those beliefs, that euthanasia is still illegal in most of the world. My body is mine, not "God's" or anyone else's, and if I decide I want to put an end to it should I go into irreversible coma or suffer from a terminal disease, then it's nobody's fucking business to oppose that. Nobody's.

And I'm sure gay people through countless countries across the world would like to be able to enjoy a same-sex relationship in open without fears of being demonised, arrested, jailed, or worse.

And I could go on and on...

Get my drift yet?
  • Options

Finally someone has come up with something good which religion has done.

But seeing as you don't wnat this threat to be all about Christians, perhaps you would like to cover the other religions too?

As for the interest in the subject, I think it's pretty clear that the only reason that comments are made is because, in spite of person approaches, religion belief is forced upon us.

Not just in the suggestion that we should believe tha tsame things but in the imposition of certain laws which aren't based on much other than what a relgious teaching has people to believe - such as "Homosexuality is wrong"...
  • Options
    Actually I'll think you'll find that I didn't miss it out, I said that religion was responsible for many of the worlds conflicts. I will not deny that many close minded points of views come straight out of bible-belt USA. Remember however that they do not come straight out of the teachings of christ, or at the very least the treatment given doesn't.

Can you admit, before challenging anyone else, that things that religion is responsible for are good sometimes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

But seeing as you don't wnat this threat to be all about Christians, perhaps you would like to cover the other religions too?

As I've said before I'm using Christianity as an example because it is what I know most about. It would be hypocritical of me to use say Islam, when I don't know nearly enough.

My problem earlier in the thread is that somehow it seems ok to torment a christian but not a sikh, in wider society. I don't mean the racist and bigamist behaviour of some small minority
  • Options
    Yes. Religion has had some good results.

Overall it still has had, in my opinion, a much more negative than positive influence on mankind.

If only they could continue carrying out charity work and helping the poor (which appeared to be the main priority of their leaders anyway) and put a stop to trying to convert the non-believers or influencing the law or everyday life for others, then the religions of this world would play a very good role indeed. Sadly most of the religion denominations seem far more interested in the latter than in the former.

But then, I also have an issue with the general intolerance of some religions even if they kept it to themselves. Why should children be brought up to think sex before marriage is a sin or that homosexuality is 'wrong'?

If people choose to reach that conclusion from a balanced and informed point of view as adults, fine. But countless kids will never have that chance because they've been brainwashed since the day they were born and don't know any different.

How many young men and women's lives have been ruined by trying to suppress homosexual feelings, simply because they were taught as kids such feelings were totally wrong and sinful?

How many young people are missing out on the joys of sex because they've been taught that God actually gives a shit whether people shag before getting married?

Tragic. :no: :mad:
  • Options
    I suppose it all comes down to a matter of personal opinion now.
  • Options
    Religion itself is never the cause of the bad things, it's caused by the people involved in religion. they corrupt things and use them to their own ends.

for example, it is the people in Islam who are advocating Jihad in the name of Islam, because of their intepretations and personal views, not the teachings of the religion itself.
  • Options
    Yes. Religion has had some good results.

Overall it still has had, in my opinion, a much more negative than positive influence on mankind.

If only they could continue carrying out charity work and helping the poor (which appeared to be the main priority of their leaders anyway) and put a stop to trying to convert the non-believers or influencing the law or everyday life for others, then the religions of this world would play a very good role indeed. Sadly most of the religion denominations seem far more interested in the latter than in the former.

But then, I also have an issue with the general intolerance of some religions even if they kept it to themselves. Why should children be brought up to think sex before marriage is a sin or that homosexuality is 'wrong'?

If people choose to reach that conclusion from a balanced and informed point of view as adults, fine. But countless kids will never have that chance because they've been brainwashed since the day they were born and don't know any different.

How many young men and women's lives have been ruined by trying to suppress homosexual feelings, simply because they were taught as kids such feelings were totally wrong and sinful?

How many young people are missing out on the joys of sex because they've been taught that God actually gives a shit whether people shag before getting married?

Tragic. :no: :mad:

i was going to post this a while back but got waylaid...

take Buddhism for example. it has done a lot of good to a lot of people, teaching self control, self worth, one's place in life and the order of things, respect, understanding and so on. If you dig a little into Buddhism though, you find hatred, abuse, power struggles, etc. the same everywhere (including football and politics).

IMO religion generally starts out good, well meaning but people like the power, the importance, and so things get corrupted. the focus is lost, it becomes all legalistic the framework of love and respect becomes a framework of power and abuse. it is the same in every religion, it will not change. hence organised religion will seam an abhorrent abuse of people to some, while others in the same system still feel the worth and value of it.

Al, i think sometimes the message of why sex before marriage is considered a sin gets lost. underneath it is a message about the importance of relationship stability, controlling the spread of STDs, limiting the harm caused by infidelity and so on. People get stuck in to literal interpretation of the Bible/Koran/whatever.

The lack of tolerance is alarming; religion attracts bigots as well as well meaning people
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    i was going to post this a while back but got waylaid...

take Buddhism for example. it has done a lot of good to a lot of people, teaching self control, self worth, one's place in life and the order of things, respect, understanding and so on. If you dig a little into Buddhism though, you find hatred, abuse, power struggles, etc. the same everywhere (including football and politics).

IMO religion generally starts out good, well meaning but people like the power, the importance, and so things get corrupted. the focus is lost, it becomes all legalistic the framework of love and respect becomes a framework of power and abuse. it is the same in every religion, it will not change. hence organised religion will seam an abhorrent abuse of people to some, while others in the same system still feel the worth and value of it.

Al, i think sometimes the message of why sex before marriage is considered a sin gets lost. underneath it is a message about the importance of relationship stability, controlling the spread of STDs, limiting the harm caused by infidelity and so on. People get stuck in to literal interpretation of the Bible/Koran/whatever.

The lack of tolerance is alarming; religion attracts bigots as well as well meaning people

Really well put :)
  • Options
    Good post.

I will agree to an extent to what has been said earlier about the people being the bad ones, not the religions. The people have always twisted the words of the Bible, Koran, Torah etc to suit their own ends. However some of the religions themselves are not exactly idyllic either. Can't speak for the Koran or Torah but as we all have knowledge of, the Bible has numerous passages condoning brutality, abuse, slavery and even murder of your own family for rather trivial matters. Much of the Old Testament ain't pretty reading.

As for the no sex before marriage thing, yes indeed there is an element of preserving certain values- but there's also a lot of malice. Even after considering STDs, stability etc, how on earth could anyone object to a couple of adults in a loving relationship to have sex before they marry?

Even for some of the most religious types sexual relations play an integral part of a marriage, and if there is no connection or things don't work in that department the marriage in question is likely doomed. People are much better off finding out before they get married than afterwards.

When I see those fucking wankers of the Silver Ring sect brainwashing kids like that I feel like machine gunning the lot of them.
  • Options
    Good post.

you make my head swell :D
    When I see those fucking wankers of the Silver Ring sect brainwashing kids like that I feel like machine gunning the lot of them.

lol, i know what you mean - it is one thing to share what you think with someone who is interested but "crusades" well...
    As for the no sex before marriage thing, yes indeed there is an element of preserving certain values- but there's also a lot of malice. Even after considering STDs, stability etc, how on earth could anyone object to a couple of adults in a loving relationship to have sex before they marry?

this is what i mean about losing the focus and turning something into a legalistic minefield. on a liberal interpretation of no sex outside marriage, you get no sex outside a loving relationship. marriage could simply be seen as a safe framework to put love into - but people abuse marriage and some people will abuse whatever power they have
  • Options
    Most religions are a load of balls, i hate the way people say "Christ said this" "God wants you to do that", how do you even know they exist, you should say according to the bible then bla bla bla, if i lived my whole life worshipping a tree outside my back yard and striving for excellence my whole life, its just the same as saying worshipping God makes you a better perosn, no it doesn't and the good things that have happened bacause of religion never happened directly because of religion, if i saved a persons life today, some people would say, "oh he's a Catholic, his good faith in god helped him save that person" when really it was just a human being, having the natural instinct to go and save someones life, nothing to do with God or Alla or whatever.
  • Options
    If you consider yourself a Christian, then I suggest you read Ephesians 2:8-9 for your answer Luke.
  • Options

what page is that? In the new testament or old?

:rolleyes: