Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New abortion rules

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    technically no one is supposed to have sex till they are married,technically no one is supposed to do drugs, technically no one is to drink under the age of 21.but people do it anyway,nothing we can do to stop it.we have all tried many times,and yet they still do it don't they??if you went to the docs to get on the pill at the age of 15 because "your cramps were too bad"your doctor would ask you if you were sexually active in front of your parent,you would say no,then your parent would leave,and the doctor would ask again with confidentiality.it is just like if you go and confide something to the minister of your church they are not allowed to tell anyone what you told them.if you were raped and didn't want to press charges but went to the doc for a rape kit to see if you were pregnant,and you weren't would you just go home and say i just came from the docs and i am not pregnant.if i would have been,it wasn't going to be my boyfriends,just some random guy who raped me.you wouldn't do that,speaking from experience you wait until the time is right before you tell them.i know i couldn't just blurt it out.if we had no confidentiality everyone in the world would know your business.headline in the paper would be,"another 15 year old had an abortion today."you don't run home after your first kiss and tell your parents,do you?the first time a guy sees you naked?the first time you have oral sex?the first time you have sex?no,there are just some things better left unsaid to your parents.most teenagers do not tell thier parents stuff as all they will do is set time limits,not let them shut the door,always trying to buy them condoms and telling them how much at risk they are. i know i surely don't want to hear about std's everytime i see my mother or talk to her.and i am sure no one else wants to either.
  • Options
    This is just going around in circles.

I say A, you say B, I say A louder.

The point is that there is confidentiality, and it is now in Government regulations.

Parents do not have the responsibility to know everything that is wrong with their children, medically children are autonomous beings. Parents have the responsibility to get medical attention when needed, but that is all.

After all, regatrdless of age, it isn't the parents who are going to be going through childbirth. Or have you forgotten this? You don't seem to quite grasp the differentuial between responsibilities and ownership.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    It proves nothing. Kids skip school and adults skip work. Students skip lectures. They all know that they shouldn't, and they all know the consequences.

Education is just as important as their health and state of mind as it counts for everything were it all will effect them for the rest of their lives. Some you agree parents should know. Some you shouldn't. Why?
    Maybe you were too young to fully understand abortion at 15...

I have absolutely no regrets what I did when I was 15 but that doesn't guarantee every other girl will feel the same way and I know for a fact I wouldn't have got through it without the help of my family, especially me mam.

*ash*n*nick*; you are totally off key!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2Bkind
    Man Of Kent;

You still haven't answered my question as to why a child under 16 is classed as a minor and has to have a legal guardian unlike a grown woman/man who has recieved their rights when they reach 18 years of age ??

You are talking about legal age of responsibility, which has many different stages…18 is only one marker. Others being related to things like driving, criminal responsibility, tax laws etc

As I have already explained, legally a child of any age can consent to their own treatment. The two issues are separate.
    And also what age do you think a parent should be informed of their daughters pregnancy/abortion? ...13, 12, 11, 10?

Irrelevant question. The parent has no right to know. Criminal investigations aside.
    I mean what I don't get is were to people draw the line when they do believe the parent has the right to know? Or has parents lost their rights in protecting their children altogether?

Parents do not have, and have never had, the right to know about their children’s treatment. There is no right being lost here.

Parents also have no right to protect their children enshrined in law.
    So you wouldn't be concerend if your child was at any threat to getting a sexual transmitted disease?

There is a difference between “concern” and the right to personal information. I would be concerned about anything which happened to any of my friends or relatives. I still have no right to know about their medical condition. As it should be.

What you seem to have confused in this debate is a natural concern which people have for kith and kin and their legal rights in these cases. The two are not the same.
    As a parent you have a responsibilty to give the best possible care, support and guidance; without the knowledge of what your child i doing, how can you offer all these things to them?!

Best of care within your capabilities. There are things my children do which I know nothing about, I may not like that but I have to accept it. I cannot control what they do every minute of the day. All I can do is educate them enough that they can face the world on their own, knowing that I will be there to pick up the pieces if necessary.

To me, that is what being a prent is about. Sometimes protecting them is about giving them the information and capability to deal with life on their own, giving them the confidence to make their own decisions and mistakes.

You’d be surprised how often I think about what I would like to do, and then ask myself what my Mum would say… she’s like my conscience. I hope that my kids think the same way about me.
    The parent has the responbility to protect their child but how can they when their rights have been taking away in not knowing whats happening to their children.

They have no rights to be taken away, and a parent only has the legal obligation not to place their child in harms way. There is no obligation to “protect” them.
    Next thing you'll be telling me a minor is entitled to confidentiality on whether they attend school or not.

Nope. The parent has a legal obligation to make sure that their child attends. Different circumstances I’m afraid.

As has been proven recently, a parent can go to prison if their child fails to attend…
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    All the government seem to be doing is widening the void.

You cannot blame the Govt for this. All they have done is explain what the existing rules are. These have not been set by any Govt but through case law.

BTW It's also covered by Human Rights Act...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    As has been proven recently, a parent can go to prison if their child fails to attend…

So what you're are trying to tell me is a parent has lost their rights to look after their minor as soon as their kid can speak for itself. All a parent needs to do is feed them, keep a roof over their head and send them to school. That counts for nothing?!

Even though it is illegal to have sex under 16, they can still go ahead, get themselves pregnant accidently and terminate it without their legal guardian known about it?

If the parents can't control their children, why don't they just kick them out, see if the kid is responsible enough to look after themselves then.
    I mean after all, soon as they hit a certain age, they begin to recieve a bit of common sense and will know what is best for them. Or is that only when it suits them?

I mean, you line up a 14 year old for example and try to compare that to say 30 year old and believe both should have the same rights. A minor who knows liitle as it is about life and what they could be walking into - to a 30 year old, who has more experience and knowledge of what could possibly be round the corner for them.

What you seem to forget is when you reach 16, you recieve the right to do certain things... buy themselves a lottery ticket, get themselves a job to earn some independance, leave school, have sex. You reach 18; go to a club/bar, vote, go to uni, etc.

These are all things we should be teaching our children that in order to recieve these you need to earn them. As they get older, they learn what is best for them and of course a 14 year old would think differently to even to a 16 year old. The reason for that is course they are maturing. That is the reason these laws are set out for them. Till they reach 16, a parent, their legal guardian will be there to protect them, support them in whatever they need and teach them to appreciate things.
    How can they do that if they ain't allowed to know what's going on in their lives?

I don't know about you, but it would scare the hell out of me, if I ever give birth to a girl OR a boy and know as soon as they can walk and talk, they can do practically whatever they want and I won't have a say in the matter. I won't have the chance to protect them, when they could be sick through depression or some other illness they are ashamed of and feel they won't be able to tell me, coz they fear of letting me down or if I had a daughter that got pregnant and had an abortion behind my back. How can we care for them and support them when I hev no right in knowing?

All I see through this new law is that it will only cause more teen pregnancies, and increase rate of sexual transmitted diseases and a wall between a relationship with a mother and her daughter.
  • Options
    Even though it is illegal to have sex under 16, they can still go ahead, get themselves pregnant accidently and terminate it without their legal guardian known about it?

That is correct.

I've stayed out of this debate so far, but what it seems to me that you (Cruel2Bkind) fail to grasp is that the ethics and morals are not in question here. It doesn't matter how moralistic it is for a 14 to get pregnant in the first place, then have an abortion. The fact is that regardless of the situation a patient's rights are protected by law. If you do not like this then you are in a minority.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Found this

I could find several links to sites that will tell you the number of differents acts, including the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, UK Human Rights Act 1998 and Data Protection Act, that would show you that under 16s have the right to an abortion without their parents knowing.

Again, I would point out that the moral and ethical implications are not really being debated here, but the law.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Again, I would point out that the moral and ethical implications are not really being debated here, but the law.

Yes I already know what the law states. No need to remind me :)
    I am simply expressing my opinion on WHY I don't agree with the 'New Abortion Rules'
  • Options
    I really cant see the problem at all - it baffles me.
    The law isnt STOPPING under 16s from telling their parents if they want to, It is only saying they dont have to - nobody is going to force them. The child whos known it all their life, is the best judge to how their parents would react in the situation. Forcing the under 16 to tell their parents would put some teenagers in danger - without a doubt. These people need to have the full protection of the law in that they need the right to full confidentiality, same as anybody else.
    If the young person feels that their family would be forgiving/supportive, then there is nothing to stop them telling them, and obviously that is the ideal situation, but families often arent that idyllic.
  • Options
    why do previously flourishing threads, suddenly stop after I post????
    Im gonna change my name to `thread killer`
  • Options
    We'll I've already said my peace to what I think of it...

Replying to your thread will just have me repeating myself.
  • Options
    I read your replies, and I do see you do just keep repeating yourself, unmovable in your stance, but WHY do you think it is a good idea for pre16s to be forced into telling their parents, whether their parents would be abusive or not?
    `because I just do` type arguments are invalid.
  • Options
    I have already explained why I don't agree with it.

If you can't even try to read my posts properly then I'd rather not reply to your pitty posts, asking me to repeat myself when I have already made it clear why I don't agree with it with my reason from personal experiences and facts from others experiences.

If you cannot ask me a different question from what I have already answered to the other users, why should I answer you.... when I already have in my previous posts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

`because I just do` type arguments are invalid.

And I have not ONCE said that in any of my posts here, so there is no need for your ignorant comment!

I express my opinion in the way I like, and have taken in what others have said. You however are simple posting here to start a fight and no intention in looking at others' point of views. People like you, I do not have time for.

Thank You! :)
  • Options
    I HAVE read your posts, and youve given some very good reasons why it is a good idea for people to tell their parents in that situation. I dont think youve said what should happen in the cases where the parents then explode with anger and disown/beat the child.
    What do you think should happen when a 14/15 year old is faced with that very real situation? Do you think that it would still be right to have to tell them?

what is a pitty post?

Im not asking you to repeat your argument, im asking you to expand on it and possibly see that it wouldnt always work to legislate a forced breach of confidentiality. Cant you see how risky it would be?
  • Options
    People like you, I do not have time for.

Thats not very nice.
    Im only trying to get you to expand on your argument and see the holes in it. Im only debating what youve said, there is no need to make personal digs

Once you start doing that, the debate is ruined.
    Try and debate without getting angry.
  • Options
    quote:In exceptional cases, we appreciate that it may be inappropriate for a child to tell her parents she is pregnant: where she is estranged from them, for example, where she has been abused by them, or where telling them would present a serious foreseeable threat to her safety. In such cases, the courts could allow a waiver so that she would not have to tell them, as happens in those US states where this policy exists. In normal circumstances, however, they should be informed and consulted, and these unusual cases do not affect the principle.

This was written a few pages ago already. Are you sure you read my posts that closely?
  • Options
    This was written a few pages ago already. Are you sure you read my posts that closely?
    how would they legislate for some and not for others though. Whats the point in a law of theres a loophole in it.
    I think girls should be ENCOURAGED to tell their parents, but shouldnt be forced. The final decision should rest with them. A 14/15 year old is plenty old enough to make that decision.
  • Options
    im sorry, I was mainly going by the general gist of your posts rather than memorising every single one individually
    *slaps own hand*
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed reading this debate until I tried to participate.
    Cruel to be kind, do you realise how aggressive you are? Its really quite horrid.
    Im only trying to debate after all.
  • Options
    Aggressive?
    Why? Because I didn't agree with you?
    Wow, you are defintely in the wrong forum then.

I already explained my reasons. I cannot continue repeating myself just for you. However if you do ask me something the others havem't already... you are more and welcome to ask me. :) ok?
    im sorry, I was mainly going by the general gist of your posts rather than memorising every single one individually

Well you shouldn't have said you read all my replies, when you obviously didn't.
  • Options
    Aggressive?
    Why? Because I didn't agree with you?
    Wow, you are defintely in the wrong forum then.

I already explained my reasons. I cannot continue repeating myself just for you. However if you do ask me something the others havem't already... you are more and welcome to ask me. :) ok?

Well you shouldn't have said you read all my replies, when you obviously didn't.
    . no aggressive because you were just completely dismissive of me trying to participate in the debate, have no time for `people like me`. If youre just bored of the debate, just say so, dont try and make out im doing something wrong.
    I asked you to expand on a specific part of the debate, which you are refusing to do, and the only time you vaguely touched on it, its very huffy, like `how dare I question you`.
    Im hardly likely to ask you something completely different because its a particular topic. I dont like going O/T.

I did read all your replies, I read the whole thread, but ask me to remember every single thing everyone has said, and I couldnt do it.
    That doesnt mean I didnt read it.
    Anyway remind me to not debate with you in future. Im quite happy to disagree with people, I like a good debate, as long as its done well and the points in question are argued well and expanded upon when requested. Sometimes even my points of view are changed after a good debate, gives me something to think about.
    Unfortunately this hasnt happened here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    . no aggressive because you were just completely dismissive of me trying to participate in the debate, have no time for `people like me`.

You asked me something I already answered. Why expect me to repeat myself? Though if you ask me something differently from the rest of the users on this thread, I have already expressed that I would be happy to. What more can I say?
    I asked you to expand on a specific part of the debate, which you are refusing to do...

But you asked me something I already explained and I even quoted what I said a few pages back by answering your question.
    I did read all your replies, I read the whole thread, but ask me to remember every single thing everyone has said, and I couldnt do it.

Don't expect you to memorise this thread. It's just if you have a question in mind, you should have realised I had already answered that.
    That doesnt mean I didnt read it.
    Anyway remind me to not debate with you in future.

Unfortunately this hasnt happened here.

I'm not here to try and change your mind. I just wanted to express my views on how I feel about it.
  • Options
    *steps in* wow wow wow chill out, as Cruel2bkind has quite rightly pointed out, when you came in you were asked the question "what do you think" who were not asked to argue with everyone elses opinion, and if there wont going to be differences of opinion, questions like this wouldn't exist, so going off the rails and recieving everything as aggressive just because you dont agree, is, for want of a less frequently used term, immature.
  • Options

I'm not here to try and change your mind.

i thought debating subjects was to get other people into your way of thinking ? Thats why we debate, we hear all sides then make our mind up....surely?
  • Options
    debates are generally that yes, however on arrival everyone opted for fighting and saying, essentially "no ur thoughts are stupid because they arent the same as mine" without any good reasoning then everyone flipped it, just chill.

edited to say : dont be so bloody pedantic either
  • Options
    Originally posted by evil_dave

edited to say : dont be so bloody pedantic either

and dont you start picking on me or I will set kermit onto ya ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    i thought debating subjects was to get other people into your way of thinking ? Thats why we debate, we hear all sides then make our mind up....surely?

Usually yes... don't get me wrong if people change their mind from readin my posts. That's great. But it's not something I go out of my way for. I just found myself disagreeing with alot of people on this thread and wanted to express my views.