Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lying on the Internet

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I see it on here every so often where posters feel the need to lie about who they are or what they've done in discusions on the boards.

Why is this?

Is it because they are so unhappy with their pathetic existence that they have to create one, or is it because they are attention-seeking vermin who think that if they recount fourteen nasty things that have happened to them (for instance, a miscarriage or an attempted rape) everyone will love them.

I just genuinely interested as to why people think thay lying on the internet makes them look good. I don't care what people think, if people don't like me it's their loss, so I just don't understand the mental attitude required.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can we have an example please Mr Kermit? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

No, because I don't want to get banned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, because I don't want to get banned.

Can I have an example in private? :)
  • Options

Ages ago there was that guy who pretended to post on here then apparently died, and it turned out it was someone else altogether. He was on IRC a lot, I forget his name.

Anyway, it's pathetically funny if you think about it, someone actually goes on the interenet under a fake alias to do whatever... I know I've considered signing up a random anonymous accout to ask questions of a personal nature that I'd be embarresed to ask on here because several people IRL and on MSN know who I am etc.

But the people who do it for no apparent reason are losers who have nothing better to do with their life, leave them to it :) (whilst they're doing that I'll be gardening!)
  • Options
    Does it matter? I mean why let it bug ya? And don't say it aint - coz obviously it is if you need to rant about it.

People lie on the internet, just as much as they do in real life! Why?

Possibly to guard them from reality. Yes gain attention that they may never usually get... though admit some people do take the biscuit when they turn into compulsive liars. I personally feel sorry for those kinda people. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Does it matter? I mean why let it bug ya? And don't say it aint - coz obviously it is if you need to rant about it.

Perhaps because the things they lie about aren't things you should lie about in civilised society? Perhaps those things are very close to someones heart and to see someone telling fibs about them can be upsetting.
  • Options
    It bothers me because it is taking the piss. They bleat about how poor and horrible their experience is, and they get 10 posts of sympathy, and it's all based on a lie. That's why it does bother me, at least a bit, because those people are ripping the piss out of the genuine people who have suffered those experiences. Not only does it drag up painful memories, it then goes on to shit on them.

Don't think I lose sleep over 99% of what I rant about though. I might be bitter but I aren't a nutter:p
  • Options
    Perhaps because the things they lie about aren't things you should lie about in civilised society? Perhaps those things are very close to someones heart and to see someone telling fibs about them can be upsetting.

Well I personally believe, people takes things way too personally these days and have to realise that not everything revolves round them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Well I personally believe, people takes things way too personally these days and have to realise that not everything revolves round them.

Example: Your dad died of cancer. Poster x's father says their dad is dying of cancer for attention. You offer sympathy. You find out they were making it up, because they can, its 'only the internet' afterall. How would that make you feel?
  • Options
    I dont think its necessary. I understand what Kermit means though...I havent necessarily noticed it here because I dont pay attention to enough here, but I do know of occurances at a different board I visit.
  • Options
    Example: Your dad died of cancer. Poster x's father says their dad is dying of cancer for attention. You offer sympathy. You find out they were making it up, because they can, its 'only the internet' afterall. How would that make you feel?

I have been put in loads of situations - like when I suffered depression after my abortion and you find girls, pretending they had a miscarriage for a little sympathy and then get caught out they were lying...

What did I do? I left them alone with their lies. How did it make me feel? The only thing that bothered me was she had to lie to me to get sympathy when I was there for her before all that shit happened.
  • Options
    when i was younger i was best friends with a girl who I really shouldnt have been. She lied about everything, to the point where it was worrying.

Now that I am older, I realise it was to make her life seem more interesting. Which is so sad, because I met up with her quite recently after 5 years of not seeing her, and she is exactly the same. Still stringing out these little white lies, left right and centre, and occasionally some blacker ones, to make herself seem experienced and interesting.

It upset me, purely because some people simply cant see how lucky they are to have a normal, well rounded upbringing and family life, where they have opportunities and prospects, and all the support they need to make a real go of whatever it is that they want to.

Maybe it has something to do with the very sad, and very wrong perspective that some people have of cool being something you are when you're 'hard'. And respected being something you are when you've had some sort of traumatic pregnancy in your teens.
  • Options
  • Options
    when people lie about sensitive issues it does drag a lot of past issues up for people. Unless you have actually been in the situation where someone lies about something that is close to your heart then its hard to explain how it makes you feel.
    It just drags back sad memories and makes you dwell on things. It also makes you so god damned angry that someone can lie about sensetive issues when in reality they aint got a clue what they are talking about.

A liar always gets caught out, they will forget something they said then everyone realises what a sad liar they are anyhow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    It bothers me, but you knew that already or you probably wouldn't have made this thread.

When I see people lying about things that are close to my heart I want to physically hurt them.

But it's just the internet, innit? If you get upset by things, or by people 'having a laugh' then you're too sensitive. You're supposed to be able to laugh along as well and show you're a good sport.

People can fuck off if they think I'm going to laugh.

No one is expecting ya to just shake things off and laugh with whoever makes a joke about something you may care about - I certainly wouldn't.

BUT, when it comes to people who has to lie to get a little attention online, I see no harm in it - It's not like you are ever going to face these people. I do believe it's sad people think they have to lie, but I certainly wouldn't let it affect me. I would just be curious in asking why they thought they had to lie to me or to anyone else.
  • Options
  • Options
    It can't be much of a problem on here surely? Or else I'd have thought I'd have seen the aftermath of people being caught out?

Maybe not

Not much you can do about it and unlikely such people are going to change so . . . well, fuck 'em!
  • Options
    There are a couple of people on these boards that I am pretty sure have lied extensively about things that have happened to them.

I think that something's wrong with them to say that things have happened to them when they haven't. They need help, but I think if I said anything to them about it I'd probably get banned.

Which is why it's best to just let them ramble on. Ignore them - if you rant about them, you're just giving them what they want..... SPECIAL ATTENTION!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    It can't be much of a problem on here surely?

Disagre(sp my minds gone blank lol) there, it can be.
    this place is not like most others, this has a community kinda feel about the place and depending on the extent of the lie it can cause problems....thats for the people who have genuinely been through whatever. Also when your talking sensetive issues (not little white lies) then when the next person asks for help you begin to think are they also taking the piss.
  • Options
    There are a couple of people on these boards that I am pretty sure have lied extensively about things that have happened to them.

Is it safe to assume that these people are generally young posters - like early teens? In those cases I'm sure they're just mixed up and confused and generally attention seeking without meaning any harm.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Disagre(sp my minds gone blank lol) there, it can be.
    this place is not like most others, this has a community kinda feel about the place and depending on the extent of the lie it can cause problems....thats for the people who have genuinely been through whatever. Also when your talking sensetive issues (not little white lies) then when the next person asks for help you begin to think are they also taking the piss.

But people are always helpful on here - the only times I've seen someone ridiculed when asking advice has been a couple of times when the stories have been ridiculous and just seem to far fetched to be true - and even then there were at least a few helpful posts.

I'm positive you judge people on their individual merits because I've seen you stick up for others before and I'm fairly sure no one is prejudiced against a poster without good reason so i don't see how it damages the community in the way you describe?
    :confused:
  • Options
    I think the fact that there hasn't been a huge flaming war with me accusing people right, left and centre of lying might show that I'm not giving them the attention that they want :p

Good wee lass :)
    And that's what makes you a better person than them. At the end of the day they are the ones suffering the most thinking they have to lie to gain peoples' interest in them. I believe Karma comes around. They always do get caught out in the end, especially the compulsive liars then they end up losing out on more.
  • Options
    But people are always helpful on here - the only times I've seen someone ridiculed when asking advice has been a couple of times when the stories have been ridiculous and just seem to far fetched to be true - and even then there were at least a few helpful posts.

Im not talking far fetched things, im talking sensetive issues that some people lie about. As GWST mentioned she'd probably be banned for saying something.
    I cant really go into detail err thats it lol.....sorry :D
  • Options
    [When I see people lying about things that are close to my heart I want to physically hurt them.
    [/B]

I'm like that.
  • Options
    To be honest, if somebody gave me their "experience" on something that was close to my heart or whatever, and I found out they were lying, then I'd just be totally ambivolent to their opinion from then on.

It wouldn't mean I'm wary about anyones opinion ever again, because you get bullshitters in the real world too. It's just a lot easier to tell lies/exaggerate things/get sympathy here.

But then stuff that's happened to be probably aint as bad as a lot of stuff that's happened to other folk.

Constant and obvious attention seeking gets on my tits a lot more, to be honest.
  • Options

I cant really go into detail err thats it lol.....sorry :D

Frustrating isn't it?
  • Options
    Best thing about the internet is it's easier to ignore the people - If they have been tripping up over their lies or in some other way you found out about them. Why, waste anymore time on them. Put them on block -
  • Options
    Frustrating isn't it?

very :p

im going for a coffee now and watch that bad boys thing then Big Brother .......good excuse to get out of this eh :lol:
  • Options
    then when the next person asks for help you begin to think are they also taking the piss.
    But people are always helpful on here

I'm positive you judge people on their individual merits because I've seen you stick up for others before and I'm fairly sure no one is prejudiced against a poster without good reason so i don't see how it damages the community in the way you describe?
    Im not talking far fetched things, im talking sensetive issues that some people lie about.

Exactly - on sensitive matters people are always helpful and never assume someone is lying without just cause. I know that it can be hurtful and its terrible that someone should have to be reminded of their own pain because some wanker wants to be noticed but I don't think it damages the community.

So I stand by my point, fuck 'em!
This discussion has been closed.