Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lying on the Internet

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Ages ago there was that guy who pretended to post on here then apparently died, and it turned out it was someone else altogether. He was on IRC a lot, I forget his name.

The gay guy who used to post on here???

Why do people lie online?

Some guy was in a chatroom & reckoned he could travel time... another said his brother was a werewolf...

:eek2:
    Originally posted by MoonRat

:
    No it wouldnt have been rubberskin.
    i honestly can't tell who the supposed liars are, although there are a couple of people i can presume it to be. i suppose its because i have never been through a lot of things people on this site claim to have gone through.

i love a bit of gossip though. so if anyone would like to PM me... :p
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Not rubberskin, no. No. No. :no:

There was apparently some guy called Ruyan who came on here and "died"; it all happened in about a week last summer, if I remember rightly. The first I knew about it was when I received a PM from somebody expecting me to be disgusted *shrug*
    Ooooh I remember that. But didnt he post a pic of him holding up a bit of paper with the right date on it saying hi or something?
    And faith was gonna be getting a lift with him wasnt she?
    Originally posted by Zella
    Ooooh I remember that. But didnt he post a pic of him holding up a bit of paper with the right date on it saying hi or something?
    And faith was gonna be getting a lift with him wasnt she?

That was the real one, I think. He came to prove he was the real...whoever he was.

And the fake guy was going to give her a lift, I think.
    How strange....
    yup, that guy was weeeeird. and the photo of him with the sign was they guy he pretended to be, who knew nowt about any of it until lisa contacted him

twas rather mean, seen as he built up a personal relationship with some of us, then it all turned out to be codswallop.
    I have almost no idea about this Ryan insident, wasn't Rubberskin though, he was great. :)
    vaguely remember that when it happened, was when I used to not come here as much as these days. I do remember when Kerrang forums started up I did used to go on (not nowadays tho, its shite) and a linkin park fan killed herself becuase of the grief she got off the site and offline for liking LP so much. Apparnetly a fmily member then came on and said it was all the fault of the site. I can't remember the excat details but at the time people were saying "if your family member had just died why would you go on a site to have a go at people, wouldn't they be greiving-not goin thru her pc files?" I mean my family don't veen know what sites I go on!

So that did really annoy me that someone could do that in sucha stupid and obvious way-tho hey maybe it was true I don't know, as I never went on the site much after that.
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    "if your family member had just died why would you go on a site to have a go at people, wouldn't they be greiving-not goin thru her pc files?" I mean my family don't veen know what sites I go on!

it is very, very suspicious when that happens.

i've kinda seen it happen when i know the person has died, but it wasn't a family member, it was a best friend, it was something like 2 days after, not hours, and the friend knew the person used the site and they used it too, so they knew people on there would want to know.

it's pathetic that people have to make up their own deaths though. that really is the lowest of the low. especially when you consider that at any one time, quite a few people on a site like this will be grieving for someone they've lost.
    I admit that I read this thread at speed, so all the things I'm about to say have probably already been said. Anyhoo...

Back when I first starting going online regularly, I used to post on another forum and a girl there faked her own "death". She even went so far as to create a memorial website (which was claimed to have been set up by her family...also all made up) where people could leave messages of condolence etc. No one doubted this, I mean you'd be a pretty callous person to say "oh you're a liar, you're still alive" or something. But anyway, she was found out by someone who was so upset by her "death" that she found out her home address (don't know how, although she was obviously a lot closer to this person that I) and it all unravelled from there.

Anyway, everyone was shellshocked and then angry. It just kind of baffles me that someone would take the time to make up a life, forge relationships with people, then fake a death/illness/tragedy or similar. It's literally madness, and I don't think any of us can understand it, no matter how hard we try...because we don't have that in us. Expending (my limited!) brainpower on it just makes me head hurt, because it's impossible to understand. But it seems to be more common than I'd ever thought.

I love the fact that this site is such a goldmine of advice, experience and opinions...and it scares me that there have been/apparently are people here who at the least stretch the truth. I'm not the most fantastic judge of character, so I don't think I can spot 'em. I'm really glad to read people's posts saying that they still give people needing advice the benefit of the doubt. Risky as it is, you've got to be that way haven't you...the alternative is pretty awful.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I can kind of see why people would make stuff up that improved their status - like earning a lot of money, or being fantastically gorgeous. I mean, I don't show bad photos of myself to anyone. But I can't get why they make up terrible stories.

Dead on. I've wondered that before, I suppose if you posted saying something good that had happened to you then people would say "oh great"/congratulate you/tell you to stop showing off, and then move on. Whereas if something shit has happened to you, or if you have indeed "died", then people get drawn in and involved, want to talk to you more, help you etc. Why anyone would want to make a new social network only to discuss their fake miscarriage/abortion/whatever, is beyond me though. Isn't it much more fun to bitch about politicians and discuss the things that piss you off etc? :lol: I certainly think so...
    Did I ever tell you lot im not a real nun :(

im infact a millionairess with several mansions and a few corgis :D
    I also have my own private jet to take me to the shops :D
    Ah... Now I seriously dont want attention, just to share experiences...though even now when I think about it, it still baffles me how long it went on..

My two friends and I joined a RPG (roleplaying) site. Now the chrachters we took, based on books, were male. [Not that many female chars that were linked in the book]

Anyway naturally the other RP-ers thought we were guys. And there were this few guys that liked to disturb girls there, so we figured, for the heck of it, just say we're guys. Not in our wildest dreams did we imagine it to spin so out of control after that.

Anyway the girls we RP-ed with begin to develop crushes on us, and not our chars. So we got put into a tight spot. Being 'boys' we dutifully ignored them, and went on, talking and chatting normally. Then there's this girl that 'falls in love' with me, and another that 'falls in love' with one of my friend. The other luckyfriend of mine always kept a low profile so she was safe.

And from then on... lies upon lies. Horrible, I tell you. After that, we dropped out of the site.

I know the right thing to do would have been to tell them the truth, but back then we were scared, and so we just dropped out.

The moral of the story is, don't lie. If you dont stop lying to yourself, you never will stop lying. It hurts others, and yourself. I had to learn the very hard and painful way, because that girl that liked the 'boy me' became a very close friend to me and I had to just end that relationshiip because of my stupidity.

Lying is sin, so don't try it.

Phew.. Thats out.

And I also have had people lie to me and then get busted, but because of the guilt that I had done it once, I always tend to forgive them and think nothing of it. It does hurt yea, but it's my fault as well...
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    erm ... this thread is a bit old. and i dont think people were referring to you :p
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I also have my own private jet to take me to the shops :D

You're not that rich then if you do your own shopping.

Oh.

Dude. Post. Dead.

I forgot I'd written this rant about a few of our more "valued" posters.
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    erm ... this thread is a bit old. and i dont think people were referring to you :p

I know ^.^ I just did a search because I didnt want to start any new threads.
    i'd put fifty quid on it theres no one on these boards that hasn't lied.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    then my entire family started stalking me on livejournal.

Hey..mine too.

Mine hacked into mine using my hotmail..yay.

I realise this is old, or the post was. By the way, rolly, I actually have never lied on here. I have not told people some things, but I haven't lied.
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    By the way, rolly, I actually have never lied on here.
    see what'd i tell ya!
    I haven't. I don't lie on these places. I don't see the point. I might not tell them something, but it's not like they've asked me "is this the truth" and I've said, no, but this is. All they know about me is true, there's just a lot missing that's all.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

I don't think I have.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

I don't lie on the internet.
    The whole point of coming on the forum for me in the first place was somewhere I didn't have to lie. I could be exactly who I was and not worry about it. Nowadays I do that in real life too... but you know, kids with imaginations can be good at exaggerating things ;) (like how rich you are)
    I haven't lied on this site. This is the only place I've ever been where I don't feel the need to lie. Everything I've written on my own threads and everyone else's has been true. In life, I lie regularly because I'm scared of opening up to people in case they reject me. But for the first time in my life, I can open up to you. I can tell you the full truth. That feels refreshing.
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I haven't lied on this site. This is the only place I've ever been where I don't feel the need to lie. Everything I've written on my own threads and everyone else's has been true. In life, I lie regularly because I'm scared of opening up to people in case they reject me. But for the first time in my life, I can open up to you. I can tell you the full truth. That feels refreshing.

do you have sexual fetishes involving lettuces?
This discussion has been closed.