Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lying on the Internet

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    So I stand by my point, fuck 'em!

Exactly!!!
  • Options
    So I stand by my point, fuck 'em!

your right, now I AM going for that coffee :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    your right, now I AM going for that coffee :D

I want some food :( Had to wait for my dad and brother to bugger off.
  • Options
    know that it can be hurtful and its terrible that someone should have to be reminded of their own pain because some wanker wants to be noticed but I don't think it damages the community.

That wasn't even what I asked.

What I want to know is WHY they do it.

But to answer Cruel2BKind's point, there is always one thing that will trigger any person into being very upset. If you've been there and then somebody comes along lying about it it looks like they are taking the piss. Even if you don't mention it and ignore them afterwards, the damage is still there.

I get very touchy about those who lie about self-harm on here, and I know other posters get very upset about other issues, especially eating disorders. One poster even got banned because of a liar on here.
  • Options
    very :p

im going for a coffee now and watch that bad boys thing then Big Brother .......good excuse to get out of this eh :lol:

Thats not on till 9 :p.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    One poster even got banned because of a liar on here.

Who was that?
  • Options
    That wasn't even what I asked.

What I want to know is WHY they do it.

But to answer Cruel2BKind's point, there is always one thing that will trigger any person into being very upset. If you've been there and then somebody comes along lying about it it looks like they are taking the piss. Even if you don't mention it and ignore them afterwards, the damage is still there.

I get very touchy about those who lie about self-harm on here, and I know other posters get very upset about other issues, especially eating disorders. One poster even got banned because of a liar on here.

I view your point with sympathy as I believe you shouldn't let scumbags like them upset you or begin to question your own experience.

When someone goes too far and insists in lying about something you may have experienced... you should not let that affect you this way. You shouldn't. They don't deserve the slightest thought. You'd feel soo much better in letting them go and concerntrate on the the ones who do need your help.
  • Options
    The trolls are easy to spot. They're usually newbies with post counts still in double figures who just say offensive and upsetting things for the sake of it.
    The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. Don't reply to them, don't respond to them, don't give them the fuel they need - ie your attention. They're just attention seekers who get a thrill out of upsetting people. Ignore them. I know it's hard, especially when they start on you, and making it personal, but if you keep replying to them, then they'll win their sick little game.

Mind you, there have been some long term members who have behaved like trolls in the past, just attacking everybody they could for any reason. :(

The school holiday trolls will be gone in a couple of months. Just hang in there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    The trolls are easy to spot. They're usually newbies with post counts still in double figures who just say offensive and upsetting things for the sake of it.
    The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. Don't reply to them, don't respond to them, don't give them the fuel they need - ie your attention. They're just attention seekers who get a thrill out of upsetting people. Ignore them. I know it's hard, especially when they start on you, and making it personal, but if you keep replying to them, then they'll win their sick little game.

Mind you, there have been some long term members who have behaved like trolls in the past, just attacking everybody they could for any reason. :(

The school holiday trolls will be gone in a couple of months. Just hang in there.

Not sure that this thread is entirely related to trolls though.

I think people lie on here because they can.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Not sure that this thread is entirely related to trolls though.

I think people lie on here because they can.
    True, but trolls usually lie too. They just come up with a whole persona to attack anybody and everybody.

Edited to add. Actually, my mentioning of trolls was after reading. Tweety's thread. I got the threads a bit muddled. But trolls are often liars too.
  • Options
    I'm getting frustrated by the thing everyone seems to know but I don't, maybe it's best to keep my nose out of things? If you think otherwise though; feel free to PM me :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Thats not on till 9 :p.

oy shurrup :p
    Im supposed to be watching BB now but the boring old fart is taping it cos he wants to watch sommat else........and dont tell me what happened cos i dont wanna know :D
  • Options
    how any of you can consider even the smallest lie in the presence of a nun is beyond me ...
  • Options
    oy shurrup :p
    Im supposed to be watching BB now but the boring old fart is taping it cos he wants to watch sommat else........and dont tell me what happened cos i dont wanna know :D

do you watch privates exposed aswell on itv2? I am too knackered to watch it & the videos stuffed.
  • Options
    do you watch privates exposed aswell on itv2? I am too knackered to watch it & the videos stuffed.

Ooer. Is that as dodgy as it sounds? :o
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Ooer. Is that as dodgy as it sounds? :o

Apparently yes lol. But then on the normal program you get a grilmpse of bits sometimes!
  • Options
    Apparently yes lol. But then on the normal program you get a grilmpse of bits sometimes!

Sorry, what is the normal programme?? I don't watch much TV.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I think the fact that there hasn't been a huge flaming war with me accusing people right, left and centre of lying might show that I'm not giving them the attention that they want :p

oops... :blush: well, i think we all remember how far that got me.
    One poster even got banned because of a liar on here.

they got banned because they were sticking up for a couple of people who had had said experience against aforementioned person who was later exposed as having lied about it.

it's when people have been exposed as liars over and over and other people still believe every word they say. how quickly people forget.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Sorry, what is the normal programme?? I don't watch much TV.

Bad lads army, ITV. Bit like boot camp.
  • Options
    Bad lads army, ITV. Bit like boot camp.

Ah.
  • Options
    I remember a girl on Faceparty who pretended she was Jodie Marsh and had her own fan club on MSN groups. I think soemone posted about it here a little while ago.
  • Options
    i'm realy ozzy ...no realy.
  • Options
    I just think it's fucking sick when people lie on the internet. You have no idea who you are talking to, but you trust them cause they're only a person, hopefully decent enough not to lie. But no, some people just find it funny, I think it's mad that someone would do that, especially if they know the effect it can have on people.
  • Options
    People who hide behind their computers and make up lies about stuff are really fucking insensitive.
  • Options
    trouble is if you are too honest (like i am) people still think you are lying-say with things like msn. It bugs me-if I was gonna be mean or block someone I wouldnt respond AT ALL.

Like in reality there was a fag end outside my door-NOTHING at all to do with me but in order to get that point across I labour it so much that they prob all think I'm now lying to the point that i smoke 40 aday-i don't!

Online-people lie because they can get away with it when they couldn't in real life-for longer anyway. If they get found out it generally doesn't matter. What would upset me is if it were someone who i considered a mate online-that would hurt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I remember a girl on Faceparty who pretended she was Jodie Marsh and had her own fan club on MSN groups. I think soemone posted about it here a little while ago.

Oh, tonnes of people on faceparty and other similar websites put up pics that aren't of themselves. I don't know why they feel the need to steal other people's photos and pretend to be them, but it's really sad, in both senses of the word. I've had a few people take my photos and create profiles and whatnot using them, but rather than getting annoyed about it and making a fuss, i choose to ignore it. After all, my photos were placed on the internet and i realise there are some, er, very odd people about on here, so it comes as no big surprise to me anyway. No big deal, my life wasn't exactly threatened by it, so why waste time worrying?

I agree though, that those on the internet who lie about sensitive issues can strike a nerve with those who have actually experienced what they have been lying about, and that's fair enough. But at the end of the day, these are people who obviously have some sort of problem of their own if they feel they have to tell fibs about their life experiences. Rather than spending your time worrying about it, why not ignore them? It's not a personal attack upon anyone although it may feel like it. They are attention-seeking kids who get a kick out of receiving sympathy and kind words from strangers. Perhaps it makes them feel accepted. There are many other reasons why they do it, but i see little point in dwelling on these explanations.

Now if it was a friend who I found was lying about such matters, then yes, I would be upset. And it has happened to me, and it did upset me. But I always knew she was a bit of an attention whore, and again, it wasn't the biggest surprise to find out she'd lied, but what can you do? I haven't confronted her about it, because as much as it angers me, it's her problem not mine. And hopefully she will soon realise how pathetic she has been and will sort herself out. I really do not think it's worth wasting my time being concerned about liars on the internet, especially not when i don't know them & never will. They're the ones who need to do the worying, not you.
  • Options
    I hate it when people lie on here and pretend theyre something theyre not, or have been through things they havent. Ive been fooled before which makes me more wary, but usually I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and answer posts as if theyre true, even if I suspect theyre not, because if they were true, and then they got accused of being false, that could be far more damaging than somebody telling a lie and people just humouring them. There are some people whos stories just dont add up, there are people whos stories are so extravagant that it makes me think `hmmmmm` but I cant prove theyre false, so i just dont try to - i just ignore their posts instead. There are people who got caught out lying, and I can think of at least one who still posts here - someone I defended at the time! It just means I dont really trust what they say. The boy who cried wolf and all that.
    It does feel like a betrayal of a sort if you invest time and emotion into trying to offer advice or support to someone, only to later find out it was total bullshit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    It does feel like a betrayal of a sort if you invest time and emotion into trying to offer advice or support to someone, only to later find out it was total bullshit.

That was kind of my point.

I believe that on here people should always treat every request as genuine, because even if the person asking isn't genuine A N Other may come to TheSite with the same problem and be genuine. If someone with the same problem is being slaughtered as a liar it doesn't allow the other person to get help, and may exacerbate their problems.

It doesn't bother me in a personal sense, but it does make me annoyed because it looks like they are taking the piss. Especially when they are milking the sympathy, and when the sympathy starts to wane they make up and even more incredulous story to rekindle the sympathy attention.

I do think they are pathetic, I can't really understand why they do it. They'd get more attention being honest.

It does please me to see that most people on here can see who the liars are, though.
  • Options
    It does please me to see that most people on here can see who the liars are, though.

doesn't take much, tbh.

especially if you've done or been through the same thing, and you think 'that couldn't possibly happen'.

and also when their 'feelings' about the event are very 'textbook'. as if they've read a website on the subject and noted how they're supposed to be feeling. which i suppose is exactly what they've done.
  • Options
    I confess to not reading the rest of the thread, but I just let them get on with it.

For so many people, the Internet is an escape from the world. These people are especially found on IRC and discussion boards. If they're having a hard time in the real world, or if they're generally unhappy with their lives, they might see the Internet as all they've got and a lot of times they consider it a better world than their own. Lying is what makes it so enjoyable for some at a guess, because they're in control.
This discussion has been closed.