Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tax is so fucking lame!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are you trying to say?

Because I got done for drink driving I don't have a right to moan about taxes?

You sound like a bigger idiot the more this thread goes on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    What are you trying to say?

Because I got done for drink driving I don't have a right to moan about taxes?

You sound like a bigger idiot the more this thread goes on.

I'm not an idiot at all.
  • Options
    Drink driver rehabilitation, because I'm an idiot, but we really don't need to debate the pro's and con's of drive driving now do we.

Phil

Possibly not, but then since your expenditure on the drive course and court costs comes to 370 quid it's hardly peanuts.

It's odd that you would get taxed so much, but then I think the only reason that you would pay so much would be because you have earnt a lot of money.

700 quid seems like a large amount though.

Speak to a financial advisor. Or your human resources dept.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Never ever use public transport?

I'm sure there's a First Bus down in England so please correct me if I'm wrong but First Glasgow is really the only citywide bus service and I'm sure they are a private company as are trains and stuff so really the public transport isn't an excuse to pay taxes.
  • Options
    Mist - it's not just 370 - It's £220 for the course and £255 in fines. I already started paying some off while I could.. I don't moan about that though, as a lot of you will have saw in my threads at the time, I was spiked in town, and have suffered major mental health issues over the last few years...

The ban also resulted in my pretty much stopping taking heavy drugs, going to anger management and losing my fucking car for a year.. so BumbleBee - What the FUCK was your point about me moaning about taxes in relation to my ban??
  • Options
    The ban also resulted in my pretty much stopping taking heavy drugs, going to anger management and losing my fucking car for a year.. so BumbleBee - What the FUCK was your point about me moaning about taxes in relation to my ban??
    I'm glad to see that the half an anger management course you attended was worth it. I think you know very well what my point was.
  • Options
    No I don't - Just post it.

If you don't want to say it here then PM it to me, don't just make comments then trail off from them.. :rolleyes:

Incase you didn't know, people make mistakes, even good people like me. :angel:
  • Options
    No I don't - Just post it.

If you don't want to say it here then PM it to me, don't just make comments then trail off from them.. :rolleyes:

Incase you didn't know, people make mistakes, even good people like me. :angel:

I know people make mistakes and I think you're doing a lot to put yours right, but your taxes pay for other services like the Police, court system etc. They wouldn't be as busy if people didn't make such mistakes. That is all, and in a simplified version because I genuinely think you're a nice person (despite calling me thick) and I don't want to get into a fight about it.
  • Options
    So back to my original question -

How does drink driving mean I can't moan about paying so much tax?

I think the court fines covered any costs incurred by the cops.

It's not like I intentionally drink drive every day and made a 'mistake' and got caught.

I went to town, came home in a taxi, went to sleep, got woken up to a shit load of abuse and drove up my girlfriends, there was then a domestic where I was arressted on foot.

I didn't even think I was over the limit, not even tipsy... but oh yeah I won't mention my taxes again.

I take it this goes for people who get caught speeding too, yeah??
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    [BIncome Tax and National Insurance are progressive, they are put in tax rate boudaries. There are something like 10%, 25% and 40%, I'm not totally sure but its something like that and where you income fits in, so does your tax boundary. The rich get taxed more than the poor. Not only do they get taxed more, but a higher proportion is taken away too. For example, the poor have something like 10% taken from their wages whereas people earning alot of money have 40% taken off them. B]

not strictly true.

the tax boundaries apply to everyone. everone is entitled to an amount tax free. i think in this tax year it's something like £4800 a year. the next £2000 or so you earn ON TOP of that will be taxed at the starting rate, the next £20,000 or so at the basic rate, and from £31,500 upward, the 40%.

so, this means if one person is earning under the highest tax bracket, say £30,000, they have their £4800 tax free, £2000 at 10%, and the remaining £23,200 will be taxed at the 22% basic rate.

if someone is earning over the highest tax bracket, say £35,000, they will be taxed in the same way as the first person, with the exception that everything they earn over 31,500 (so £3,500 in this person's case) will be taxed at 40%.
  • Options
    I got taxed about £22 last pay day, and National Insurance was £15. Now I'm only 19, and it might not seem like much money but I only work 10 hours a week what with being a student. Well, not anymore really. What's annoying is now that I'm 19, I have to pay for my hayfever tablets/opticians appointments and dentist treatment or whatever. I don't think this is fair when I only work 10 hours a week. :\
  • Options
    Luckily for me I get my prescriptions free as I'm in Wales.. that certainly takes the sting out of a lot of my tax!!

I make sure I get LOADS of meds! lol
  • Options
    Luckily for me I get my prescriptions free as I'm in Wales.. that certainly takes the sting out of a lot of my tax!!

I make sure I get LOADS of meds! lol

I should've stocked up beforehand. :(:p
  • Options
    do you realise if they leagalised drugs ...up to ten billion quids worth a year spent on illegals in the uk alone ...how much tax they could rake in instead of spending billions fighting a drugs war they lost 30yrs ago.
    but ...the rich and powerful don't want it legalising ...it's them whats making the big cash in hand tax free bucks ya see.
    10 billion squids worth of cash in hand!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I got taxed about £22 last pay day, and National Insurance was £15. Now I'm only 19, and it might not seem like much money but I only work 10 hours a week what with being a student. Well, not anymore really. What's annoying is now that I'm 19, I have to pay for my hayfever tablets/opticians appointments and dentist treatment or whatever. I don't think this is fair when I only work 10 hours a week. :\

You can get help with prescription fees. Ask for a leaflet at the post office or your GPs surgery.
  • Options

have you tried claiming your tax back? if you're only doing 10 hours a week, it's likely you're earning under the tax-free allowance. you may also be on emergency tax. ring up your local tax office and ask.

and if you earn less than £79 a week, you are exempt from paying national insurance contributions too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    You can get help with prescription fees. Ask for a leaflet at the post office or your GPs surgery.
    ...and ...instead of getting a prescription ask your pharmacist if it would be cheaper for you to purchase medication over the counter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    have you tried claiming your tax back? if you're only doing 10 hours a week, it's likely you're earning under the tax-free allowance. you may also be on emergency tax. ring up your local tax office and ask.

and if you earn less than £79 a week, you are exempt from paying national insurance contributions too.

See when I first started I was taxed 'cause of emergency tax and I got all that back. Since then (which was 2 and a half years ago) I've been taxed a few times and told that my tax code was right. Which means I can't claim it back. I think I earn about £73 a week, though the last pay day that I mentioned, I'd done quite a bit of overtime and earned £200 more than normal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    ...and ...instead of getting a prescription ask your pharmacist if it would be cheaper for you to purchase medication over the counter.

I've got one of those forms which I've sent off so hopefully I'll claim back the money I've spent on hayfever tablets/sprays and eye drops. :(

Thing is I'm working for a year before Uni; but my Mum said I still won't earn enough to warrant me paying it.

I've tried over the counter tablets but the ones I get are stronger. :)
  • Options
    i filled one of those in and they wouldn't give me any help :(

fortunatley i'm tax exempt at the moment because i'm a student. i'm just not looking forward to when i'm not though. i know why its important to pay it etc but i was emergency taxed at first and it wasn't nice seeing my money being taken away.
  • Options
    I've got one of those forms which I've sent off so hopefully I'll claim back the money I've spent on hayfever tablets/sprays and eye drops. :(
    You can only claim it back if you got an NHS receipt at the time of purchase.

Lipsy - students are not tax exempt. Everybody pays tax. If you earn above your tax free threshold (about £4800 in a year) then you will pay tax on it.
  • Options
    You can only claim it back if you got an NHS receipt at the time of purchase.

Lipsy - students are not tax exempt. Everybody pays tax. If you earn above your tax free threshold (about £4800 in a year) then you will pay tax on it.
    hmm but i filled in a student tax form.. P46 or something. i cant remember :confused:

so if thats true.. do they work it out by not taxing you until you reach £4800 or by working out how much you will earn a year and taxing you straight away?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    hmm but i filled in a student tax form.. P46 or something. i cant remember :confused:

so if thats true.. do they work it out by not taxing you until you reach £4800 or by working out how much you will earn a year and taxing you straight away?

If you filled the form in then they will be aware that you are a student so they won't tax you until you've earned £4800. If you do manage to earn that much, well done! :)
  • Options
    yeh i just looked it up on the inland revenue website.. Pay As You Earn.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    wrong

Also; I agree Tony Blair is overpaid but in the grand scheme of things that is almost insignificant.

If you had to single out 1 person who was constantly under stress and even had to do their job on holiday, and had the most important job in Britain who would it be?

Look at what football players are getting paid for kicking a bag of air about - Tony Blair is actually doing something that affects every single person in this country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay

Tony Blair is actually doing something that affects every single person in this country.
    not a job i'd fancy at all.
    can't understand why anyone would want the job.
    even worse is being the future king ...can't pop down the pub for a game of pool can he. can't even shag ugly old women without getting grief ...always got his roses to talk to though i suppose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    If you had to single out 1 person who was constantly under stress and even had to do their job on holiday, and had the most important job in Britain who would it be?

Look at what football players are getting paid for kicking a bag of air about - Tony Blair is actually doing something that affects every single person in this country.

It was just the way he brought in the changes to his salary. He won his second term and then gave himself and all the MPs substantial payrises. Even though they had been ok-ed by the budget beforehand for working in government they still get paid tonnes!! I think it's around the £140k mark for Tony Blair, and around £80k for his cabinet ministers!

It's a demanding job but when you see Prescott with 3 jags it does seem a bit like they're getting more than their fair share. But like I said; with everything else in proportion the amount paid to MPs is nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    yea it does take the piss. i got fucked for about the same price so i done in the gezz down the tax office. put a brick through his car window then pulled him out and done him porper. got caught but it was worht it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Orginal Nutter
    got caught but it was worht it.

Do you know that it costs more of your tax to get you caught, replace the window, do the court proceedings or whatever. I seriously don't see how beating someone up could be justified as worth it, because you paid too much tax.
  • Options
    Private health insurance a good idea eh?

There are so many examples of why its a bad idea its alarming, most of all Americans spend FAR more on health care than we do and many dont get any at all.

Think about it, whenever you go to the doctor you have to deal with an insurance man, whenever you get a script you have to fill in a form, whenever you have anything wrong you have to fill in another form.

Now, if you have had ANY dealings with insurance you will know that they dont want to pay out, so you have to demonstrate definately that you NEED the care every step of the way.

My mother-in-law for example had treatment delayed because of insurance which could mean she can NEVER drive again.