Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tax is so fucking lame!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Yeah I don't even support the war.

I don't mind paying for the NHS too much though

yeah thats what I probably thought your'd say but yes.. we spend to much

I noticed this while looking through websites
    http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/articles/rebut2.html

I cant seem to find how much the army costs each year
  • Options
    oh.. I know many ways which they could imrpove but least it isn't like usa,

No insurence they'd end up letting you die... they can't treat you unless you got insurence or pay...it's stupid..
  • Options
    You tell me why I want to pay for this kind of service
  • Options
    You tell me why I want to pay for this kind of service

It is very easy to find stories like that as opposed to the millions of success stories.
  • Options
    Although you can't really argue with 80% of doctors, can you?
  • Options
    well I found this out

How much does the government spend?

In 2000 the government spent an estimated £370bn providing these services. That's around £6000 for every man, woman and child in the country.

This money is shared between the different government departments according to their needs and the government's overall plans.

and 1/4 + is spent on armed services..
  • Options
    To be honest - I don't disagree with spending money on the armed forces, we need defences, and they help in other situations, as well as peace keeping missions in other countries etc.

I'm against all the money/lives at the cost of Iraq though, but I won't even be so selfish to talk about my financial loss there, when people have lost their lives!
  • Options
    Well I agree we need armed forced but not on the scale we have. They could scale it down a little..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    the rest goes on the army, the brittish army is what costs the most each year,

wrong

We only sent 1/10 of our army into Iraq? Well maybe that is how many is stationed there but they are regularly swapped with training units. Do you expect ordinary soldiers to be stationed in Iraq for years? They stay there a few months at most and come home, and someone else fills their spot. Or at least that's the impression I was under.

Also; I agree Tony Blair is overpaid but in the grand scheme of things that is almost insignificant.
  • Options
    private health care doesn't actualy work very well in other countries ...ask working class americans. it's an utter fucking disgrace!
    the disabled and the mentaly ill cannot and never will be able to GET ...private insurance so they will end up getting a fucking charity handout if they are lucky ...in other words the most disadvantaged in our 'society' ...get third world service.
    what realy gets up my fucking nose is the fact that your living in the fourth richest country in the world ...your well paid ...extremely well fed ...water/electricity/gas ...all at the touch of a button. mass entertainment ...shops stocked with foods from all over the globe at ridiculously cheap prices ...and you still want fucking more!!!!!
    greed ...nothing but fucking selfish greed.
    shut the fuck up moaning and start counting youyr blessings or go and fuck off and see how 9 tenths of the rest of the human race have to live!
    selfish bunch of spoilt cnts.
  • Options
    I think the whole counsillors "Expenses" luxury is all bollocks, not just Blair..

And troops are sometimes stationed for a good while longer than that, depending what they are exposed to I'd imagine..
  • Options
    Rolly, again I agree. In general we all have it so easy in this country, really we do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    private health care doesn't actualy work very well in other countries ...ask working class americans. it's an utter fucking disgrace!
    the disabled and the mentaly ill cannot and never will be able to GET ...private insurance so they will end up getting a fucking charity handout if they are lucky ...in other words the most disadvantaged in our 'society' ...get third world service.
    what realy gets up my fucking nose is the fact that your living in the fourth richest country in the world ...your well paid ...extremely well fed ...water/electricity/gas ...all at the touch of a button. mass entertainment ...shops stocked with foods from all over the globe at ridiculously cheap prices ...and you still want fucking more!!!!!
    greed ...nothing but fucking selfish greed.
    shut the fuck up moaning and start counting youyr blessings or go and fuck off and see how 9 tenths of the rest of the human race have to live!
    selfish bunch of spoilt cnts.

I don't know how you can call me 'spoilt'. Far from it.

I work for the money I earn, so I think I am entitled to spend it how I see fit.

And as I stated in several posts, I don't actually disagree with the tax system, I just think it's a hard knock when I see 800 quid going to it in one month ya know?

And if you want talk about the mentally ill, my father is a project manager for a group of people with learning difficulties to work, and he gets paid £12,500 which is shit for what he does..

I don't know how you can even justify turning this thread into an argument on the disadvantaged in this country!!!!

EDIT : My dad, sister and I are also a 'link family' and we look after a young disabled boy for tea once a week and he sleeps over once a month, so fuck off.
  • Options
    And did I say anywhere I don't think we have it easy in this country?
    No I didn't.

But at the end of the day I have my own debts to pay, and my own family to clothe and feed soon, and I am worrying about it, to the point where it causes depression. So I don't think it's unfair for me to say 800 quid tax feels like getting hit in the fucking stomach!

EDIT : Plus we're talking a lot about the WASTE in a LOT of tax paid, not just fact it's paid!! :mad: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    And did I say anywhere I don't think we have it easy in this country?
    No I didn't.

But at the end of the day I have my own debts to pay, and my own family to clothe and feed soon, and I am worrying about it, to the point where it causes depression. So I don't think it's unfair for me to say 800 quid tax feels like getting hit in the fucking stomach!

EDIT : Plus we're talking a lot about the WASTE in a LOT of tax paid, not just fact it's paid!! :mad: :rolleyes:
    well if your going home with five hundred quid a week and your still struggling try living within your means!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    <sigh> Tax sucks but the government needs to get it from somewhere.

Do you earn a high amount or something?

Income Tax and National Insurance are progressive, they are put in tax rate boudaries. There are something like 10%, 25% and 40%, I'm not totally sure but its something like that and where you income fits in, so does your tax boundary. The rich get taxed more than the poor. Not only do they get taxed more, but a higher proportion is taken away too. For example, the poor have something like 10% taken from their wages whereas people earning alot of money have 40% taken off them. The government tries its best to make the distribution of income alot fairer and equitable. The poor are entitled to benefits such as Family tax credit whereas the richer are not.

The government can be complete twats sometimes but alot of the money that gets taxed from us we benefit from through use of the NHS and the education we receive. Our taxes pay the wages of nurses, teachers, etc.

However, the government wastes alot of money such as the Iraq war.

I think the government should stop wasting so much of our money and improve the services we already have. The amount of transfer earnings is very high (the money that the goverment recieves from tax and uses to hand out benefits such as disability allowance, job seekers allowance, etc). So many people are claiming benefits nowadays when they are perfectly capable of getting a job but no they are lazy and like to live off the tax payers money. I think its a joke. There is loads of people out there who are entitled to these benefits but theres also people out there who are claiming them who could get a job. I think more should be done about benefit fraud too.

I think tax rates should be alot lower as taxing people more raises the level of unemployment due to the disincentives to work. This only raises the hand outs of benefits as more people will claim them.

<sigh> Our economy sucks donkey balls.

Exactly, and no I don't earn a lot, I did a lot of overtime because I DONT earn a lot.. and most of it got taxed off me!
  • Options
    I don't know how you can call me 'spoilt'. Far from it.

I think he was meaning in comparison to other people. In all these 'developed' countries where they have private healthcare you can see how good it is for everyone with healthcare but what about the poor who have no social security and when they need healthcare they have to go to a nunnery, or something :confused:. Anyway; compared to this huge body of suffereing people in a rich world then you could say you're spoilt. It does seem a lot to pay taxes but it has to come from somewhere, we don't have the grand old Empire feeding us anymore do we ;)
  • Options
    well if your going home with five hundred quid a week and your still struggling try living within your means!

It's called debt mate, something I regret and have been trying to pay my way out of for the best part of a year!

And 500 a week THIS MONTH, not normally! My basic wage is £840 a month.

If you consider basic Rent/Mortgage + Council tax = minimum £500 a month!!!!!!

Plus food, gas, electric, water, etc!

EDIT :

This month I have to pay £220 to sit on a drive drive course, £150 court fines, £280 loans, £212 car, £200 lodge, Along with another load of stupid bills etc..

I'm just stressed and fancied a rant about getting taxed such a big lump!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I think he was meaning in comparison to other people. In all these 'developed' countries where they have private healthcare you can see how good it is for everyone with healthcare but what about the poor who have no social security and when they need healthcare they have to go to a nunnery, or something :confused:. Anyway; compared to this huge body of suffereing people in a rich world then you could say you're spoilt. It does seem a lot to pay taxes but it has to come from somewhere, we don't have the grand old Empire feeding us anymore do we ;)

Yeah but at the end of the day I do as much as I can feel I can to help others, especially in deprived countries..

But the reality for me is I don't live in those countries, and yeah I fucked up two years ago and got in a load of debt, and now I fucked up again by getting my girlfriend pregnant, and I don't know how I'm going make ends meet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    out of interest, which countries do people have to not pay as much tax? i'd just like some information for future reference.

List of US states without personal income tax
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Alaska
    Florida
    Nevada
    New Hampshire- does have tax on interest and dividends
    South Dakota
    Tennessee - does have tax on interest and dividends
    Texas
    Washington
    Wyoming
  • Options
    Also - I'd rather have my tax spread over a year than them taking it all like that ! :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    [B
    <sigh> Our economy sucks donkey balls. [/B]
    no it doesn't ...it's fourth most sucsessful one on the planet.
    less people claim benefits now than in the last 40 years.
    before you nock the handful of people at the bottom of the pile for pinching a few quid off you ...take a long hard look at the big companies who get away with billions in tax frauds.
    take a look at the rich and wealthy who make millions out of this country but bank their money off shore so as to avoid contributing a fucking penny to the very system that makes them fat!
    fruad and dodgy but often just about legal practices is estimated to cost this country around a thousand times more than the few lazy gits scamming benefits.
    if i can be bothered i'll look up the facts about that thousand times more.
  • Options
    no it doesn't ...it's fourth most sucsessful one on the planet.
    less people claim benefits now than in the last 40 years.
    before you nock the handful of people at the bottom of the pile for pinching a few quid off you ...take a long hard look at the big companies who get away with billions in tax frauds.
    take a look at the rich and wealthy who make millions out of this country but bank their money off shore so as to avoid contributing a fucking penny to the very system that makes them fat!
    fruad and dodgy but often just about legal practices is estimated to cost this country around a thousand times more than the few lazy gits scamming benefits.
    if i can be bothered i'll look up the facts about that thousand times more.

I don't disagree with you, but if you add those "few little pounds" being scabbed at the bottom, they soon add up! And I agree with each of the points you made above..

EDIT : Let's be honest too - The rich people banking abroad isn't affecting my tax money, is it?
  • Options
    and as for spoilt i realy mean all of us.
    we have so much.
    too much possibly.
  • Options

Corporate fraud goes unpunished because there aren't the resources to deal with it.

It isn't just fraud either. Huge corporations cause so much environmental damage too.
  • Options
    and as for spoilt i realy mean all of us.
    we have so much.
    too much possibly.

OK - I think your points are valid, and I still love you. :yes:
  • Options
    OK - I think your points are valid, and I still love you. :yes:
    ahhh ya big softy ....
    seriously ...i know how WE struggle but it's nothing realy is it when you consider only one tenth of the worlds population live like us.
    it's us who are literaly consuming mother earth ...and cos of the world WE live in ...we never ever see the importance of putting anything back in!
    my big concern at the moment is china and the rest of asia.
    china is growing at a rate never before seen anywhere on earth at any time in history. imagine a couple of billion chinese people suddenly owning cars! the kyoto treaty becomes meaningless.
    the ammount of natural rescourses now being gobbledup by china is quite alarming.
    they have no timber so they have just struck deals with a number of south american countries ...they are consuming the rain forrests and the deals go on to include that the once forrested land is used to supply food crops for the rapidly going chinese citys.
    great in the short term for south american economies but long term ...it's fucking scary.
  • Options
    ahhh ya big softy ....
    seriously ...i know how WE struggle but it's nothing realy is it when you consider only one tenth of the worlds population live like us.
    it's us who are literaly consuming mother earth ...and cos of the world WE live in ...we never ever see the importance of putting anything back in!
    my big concern at the moment is china and the rest of asia.
    china is growing at a rate never before seen anywhere on earth at any time in history. imagine a couple of billion chinese people suddenly owning cars! the kyoto treaty becomes meaningless.
    the ammount of natural rescourses now being gobbledup by china is quite alarming.
    they have no timber so they have just struck deals with a number of south american countries ...they are consuming the rain forrests and the deals go on to include that the once forrested land is used to supply food crops for the rapidly going chinese citys.
    great in the short term for south american economies but long term ...it's fucking scary.

Definately!! China is a BIG worry!

At the moment I'm concerned about Iran and North Korea's nuclear programmes..

I'm also worried about Bush, the arsehole who has made world security worse for all of us!
  • Options
    Drink driver rehabilitation, because I'm an idiot, but we really don't need to debate the pro's and con's of drive driving now do we.

Phil
  • Options
    Drink driver rehabilitation, because I'm an idiot, but we really don't need to debate the pro's and con's of drive driving now do we.

And you complain about paying taxes??? :eek2: