Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

knives

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i travel lots on my own. i also carry a penknife for many reasons:
    pen knives are useful to do all sorts of things with from pealing fruit to cutting someone free from a fence-which i had to do resently :rolleyes:

the blade in no longer than maybe 5 cm, and i don't often carry it. i do live in the country side and it's invaulable there. but i also feel much safer carrying one if i am traveling in the dark on my own. i'm still alert and make sure that i don't walk in dodgy areas, though some ie the bus station i can't avoid.

i know loads of people who carry a knife over here and it doesn't seem to be a problem. but if i was stopped would i be charged with anything by carrying one?
  • Options
    I used to carry a penknife when I lived on site. Useless in a fight though.
  • Options
    BTW ladymuck, it was Diogenes who lived in a barrel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Get some grown-up tastes in music

Oh, I'd also love to know what you mean by this? Are referring to the fact that I listen to hip hop? A musical genre that has a massive worldwide influence and has been around for 30 years or so? Or reggae? Another massively influential genre thats been around for nearly 50 years? Or techno and house, genres that have influenced almost all modern pop music and both of which have been around for about 20 years?

What? :confused:
  • Options
    hip hop- I'd probablty know it if I heard it. Just because it's popular doesn't give it serious musical merit. Status Quo are popular after all

Reggae leaves me cold, the same old rythmn, undanceable to , lacking in subtlety - no thanks
  • Options
    Hip hop is actually a very well respected genre. In fact, it comprises many genres and has a history going back over 30 years. I guess you never heard of Gil Scot-Heron or The Last Poets, 2 critically acclaimed acts that were massively influential on the beginings of hip hop.
    Its had massive musical and cultural influence all over the world, something that Status Quo can't claim, so that rather blows your argument out of the water.
    This might educate you somewhat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop

But really, with everything you post, you reveal yourself to be less a, what was it again? "critical free thinker" (?! :confused: ) and more of an ignorant fool. Keep it coming, its great! :D
  • Options
    Not at Glasto, Blagsta, you surprise me

Those ads about Benefit Fraud by the DWP, don't you think for the sake of balance, representation etc they might have slipped in a non-white person or is the political establishment as spineless as i think it is?
  • Options
    I've never been to Glastonbury, nor do I have any intention of ever going. You're on a losing streak today! :D

And as I have no idea what DWP ads you're talking about, I can't really answer your question. I suspect they are another one of your bizarre fantasies.
  • Options
    Reggae leaves me cold, the same old rythmn, undanceable to , lacking in subtlety - no thanks

All this proves is that you have no rhythm and can't dance. I find reggae very danceable. There's even a reggae genre called dancehall y'know.
  • Options
    I suspect they are another one of your bizarre fantasies.

You should watch a bit more TV, you could learn a lot

Why the down on Glastonbury, lots of U75'ers there, too commercial maybe

There'll never be another Stonehenge, ol' Thatch saw to that:( (one thing I would condemn her for)
  • Options
    I don't actually watch much telly.
    And there was a festival at stonehenge this year. Such a losing streak!
    Racist scum like you aren't tolerated at free festivals though, so its just as well you never went eh?
  • Options
    so its just as well you never went eh?

How little you know about me:D
  • Options
    I suppose its possible actually, you probably are one of those mystical Nazi nutter types. Got any Boyd Rice records?
  • Options
    Got any Boyd Rice records?

Que?

Love your pigeon-holes don't you?
  • Options
    You just don't get my sense of humour.

Maybe you're so twisted 'cos you're rebelling against hippy parents.
  • Options
    Nothing twisted about me, rationality is my forte IMO. That's my problem maybe expecting the World to be a rational place
  • Options
    You don't display much rationality on here. Just irrational fears of people different to you.

People don't operate rationally anyway. People operate at an emotional level most of the time.
  • Options
    Who says I'm fearful, I go to an inner-city area 5x a week so I know what these places are like. it's some relief I can tell you to get back to the suburbs, without some dick-brain pumping 200 decibels from a car-stero. Then there's the potential for roadrage and other stuff, not may imagination , i've had run-ins with arse-holes behind the wheel, uninsured, etc

The suburbs are relaxed and not the arse-dull places as made out to be and the shite above is not present to any extent at all, politeness + consideraton reign supreme.

You might say it's wealth but somewhere along the line the middle-class did the right things and got to where they are. They're not glowering with resentment and certainly not thretening violence
  • Options
    Who says you're fearful? You in plenty of your posts.
  • Options
    Oh, and I know what the suburbs are like thanks. Theres way more random pissed up violence in the suburbs than I've ever seen in Brixton.
  • Options
    There are degrees of violence, you won't find corpses on road from drug-killings either, and no-one's being filled in like a certain website editor I know of and the muggings do not happen unless some toss from the inner-city pays a visit
  • Options
    There are degrees of violence, you won't find corpses on road from drug-killings either, and no-one's being filled in like a certain website editor I know of and the muggings do not happen unless some toss from the inner-city pays a visit

Absolute bullshit. The suburbs are awash with drugs, theres plenty of random violence and muggings. Yes, generally inner city areas have more problems, but to pretend that suburbia is some kind of crime free paradise is fucking insane.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Absolute bullshit. The suburbs are awash with drugs, theres plenty of random violence and muggings. Yes, generally inner city areas have more problems, but to pretend that suburbia is some kind of crime free paradise is fucking insane.

I have to agree, I know of friends who do drugs and stuff and they live in qaint home counties towns and villages :eek: *shock* ;)
  • Options
    theres not 'plenty of random violence and muggings.'If you went to a high-st centre at the w/e you'll find a few drunken dick-brains, there's no doubt drugs but noone whispering'weed/crack ' in your ear as you walk. You'd be quite unlucky aeay from that high-st centre to run into any rouble at all, i certainly haven't
  • Options
    theres not 'plenty of random violence and muggings.'If you went to a high-st centre at the w/e you'll find a few drunken dick-brains, there's no doubt drugs but noone whispering'weed/crack ' in your ear as you walk. You'd be quite unlucky aeay from that high-st centre to run into any rouble at all, i certainly haven't

Actually a few years ago i was beaten up near to the high street in my town. :( At least the bastard is behind bars now for doing it to someone else.
  • Options
    Bad luck:(
  • Options

No there aren't dealers on the street. Thats 'cos more well off people don't have to score on the street. The social affectsof drug use have a class based element.

But you've been lucky not to have any trouble. I've seen plenty in Ealing at pub kicking out time.
  • Options
    I've seen plenty in Ealing at pub kicking out time.

I find pubs to be vulgar, full of drunken oafs. i used to like the S. coast wher there were lots of Hotel Bars with a far more relaxed atmosphere:)
  • Options
    Fancy a shag?
  • Options
    err, never mix business with pleasure

You soulda gone to Glasto, Blagsta, run up an overdraft

It might be a commercial pile of shite but hey

did I ever tell you about Stonehenge and the Battle of the Beanfield in '85, Duke of Marlboro - -another time