Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

knives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i was wondering what is the largest knife yo can legally carry, be it a butchers knife or pen knife, anyone know??

Comments

• Options
    With a knife 3 inches or under you cannot be charged simply with possession. However, you can still be prosecuted under other laws.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    However, you can still be prosecuted under other laws.
    Like what? Sorry I'm a bit ignorant here.
  • Options
    I always carry a spring knife. The blade's length 11cm. It has a small device to fix it in my pocket and its handle is covered with denim so nobody can guess it is a knife. But I don’t know whether this is legal in New Zealand. Honestly. I think not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    With a knife 3 inches or under you cannot be charged simply with possession. However, you can still be prosecuted under other laws.

Well, it is an offence for a knife to be marketed in a way that "suggests it is suitable for combat" or which would somehow encourage violent behavior.

It's also an offence to have a knife in a few public places, especially schools - I'm pretty sure regardless of the knife size.

It is considered an offence if the knife in some way causes someone to fear their safety (who is of a sound mind)

loads and loads of little technicalities really. All I was saying is, just because you have a knife under 3" - It doesn't mean you are immune to committing an offence.
  • Options
    Re: knives
    Originally posted by blood__junkie
    sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i was wondering what is the largest knife yo can legally carry, be it a butchers knife or pen knife, anyone know??

Why do you want to carry a knife?

Surely that is the question you should be asking...
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    I always carry a spring knife. The blade's length 11cm. It has a small device to fix it in my pocket and its handle is covered with denim so nobody can guess it is a knife. But I don’t know whether this is legal in New Zealand. Honestly. I think not.
    Nice.
  • Options
    Why want to carry a knife, I've allways found a wooden spoon to be quite a good alternative, & the sentance for beating someone up with it is a lot more fun than if you chiff someone with a knife!

Bic Biros also get the job done, but you are looking at an extra 6 months on top of the spoon charge though!

Seriously though, if you gotta carry something, & you really do have no choice, Parker pens, screwdrivers are a better option...
  • Options
    Why not just take your brothers BMX apart while you're at it and use the stunt peg? They have a bit of weight to them. Actually, why stop there? Go and invest in a toffee hammer, a quick cranium crunch and you're all set. "I was just popping round my Aunty Joans to err... - Crack some toffee, officer".

:/
  • Options
    If you can justify a good reason for having a knife then it is legal.
    Self defence is not a valid reason unfortunately, however a loophole exists that if you have the knife or other object for a LEGAL purpose and can prove you have it for a legal purpose but end up using it in self defence then you have the right to.

Labrat, owning a knife for no reason is bad enough, but carrying a deliberately CONCEALED weapon is an offence here and in the USA and I hope for your own sake you either get rid of it, or get found in posession by the police.
    Because I doubt very much you'll be able to justify having it.
  • Options
    I suspect this is related to the libertarian bollocks about the right to own and carry anything one wants...

Monocrat actually claimed individuals should be allowed to own nuclear weapons :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Monocrat actually claimed individuals should be allowed to own nuclear weapons :rolleyes:

:/ What for?
  • Options
    Oh because nobody should ban individuals for owning them.

He agreed that individuals should not detonate nukes (just because it would destroy other people's 'property', not because of anything else) but that they should be allowed to own them all the same.

As the Americans are fond of saying, go figure...
  • Options
    Re: Re: knives
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Well lots of people have pen knives and things. I often have a craft knife on me simply because it lives in my pencil case. That kinda thing.
  • Options
    If you don't know how to use a knife in a fight then you're quite likely to get stabbed by your own weapon.
  • Options
    Re: Re: knives
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Fishing, camping, art, knives are handy, I have a diddy pocket one that I use now and again. They're not just for stabbing people.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: knives
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Fishing, camping, art, knives are handy, I have a diddy pocket one that I use now and again. They're not just for stabbing people.

Sorry, the expression "carry a knife" suggests that it is being done in an act of self defence. Not because the person is fishing, camping etc.

Hence my question, why would you want a knife (if it's for self defence), what makes you so fearful that you might need to use it?
  • Options
    Is it just an urban myth or are you allowed to have a knife sheathed in your sock or something if you are in full scottish traditional dress.
  • Options
    A knife is no good against more than one assailant anyway, not unless you've got a samurai sword.
    Even less use if your assailant knows ANYTHING about martial arts or street fighting.
  • Options
    His name is blood junkie and he wants to know how big a knife he can carry?

Hey kid! go away and find yourself a survivalist site or something.

Do you listen to Marilyn Manson and wear a leather coat? Grow up mate, weapons are not big or clever for the untrained. If you want one join the Armed Forces.
  • Options
    The libertarian nonsense is based on the fact people need to learn themselves how to behave am I right?
  • Options
    yes, people do need to learn how to integrate better.
  • Options
    yes, people do need to learn how to integrate better.

you don't say:rolleyes:

knife-wielders in action

Who would or could ntegrate with the knife-wielders here? I doubt they're marginalised just greedy callous fucks who'd kill anyone in their way
  • Options
    There should be a minimum mandatory 3 year sentence for carrying a knife and the police should be equipped with metal detectors.

That's one type of 'stop and search' I wouldn't mind one bit.

There's no fucking excuse for carrying a knife and if the government got the police to do a crackdown, check shit loads of people every day and everywhere and start banging up anyone in possession of a knife perhaps some of those fuckers would think twice.
  • Options
    I know of this dude who carrys about an 11inch Commando's knife. He reckons it's for self defence... bollox, his 1 beer short of a six pack as well coz he tried cutting his brother up.
  • Options
    Seriously though, if you gotta carry something, & you really do have no choice, Parker pens, screwdrivers are a better option...

yes or pool or marbles in a sock and hit them with it. i think u\d be better off with a batten maybe an ion rod or something
  • Options
    I know a lot of people who carry knives/truncheons etc. They would argue that it's saved them from a kicking once or twice.
  • Options
  • Options
    LOL. Best to trim those fingernails then eh GWST? ;)

Oh and don't flash those pointy pearly whites either!
  • Options
  • Options
    Anyone who carries a knife is a twat in my book.

If you don't plan on using it there is no point in carrying it. Muggers are would-be-attackers are extremely unlikely to be intimidated by someone who is just holding a knife at them hoping it will scare them away.

And if you plan on using one, well I'm sorry there is no excuse for stabbing people about, even if they plan to give you a kicking or to mug you. Chances are those prepared to use a knife will end up using it on non-life threatening situations.