Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Middle class crime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/06/08/ndodge08.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/06/08/ixhome.html

So much for the criminal underclass, the politicians and press so love to target. :rolleyes: I feel like everything I've learnt in sociology has been wasted.

Any suggestions on how we can help curb the criminal tendencies of these people. Maybe we should encourage programs where people from council estates and benefit claimants could be encouraged to mentor them.

Comments

• Options
    The upper middle class here also has a greater tendency than most buying stolen goods, as B&O tvs and soundsystems, being that it is damn expensive, yet there is a "pressure" of owning these items when coming from a certain background.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    The upper middle class here also has a greater tendency than most buying stolen goods, as B&O tvs and soundsystems, being that it is damn expensive, yet there is a "pressure" of owning these items when coming from a certain background.

The hypocrisy is crazy, people buying goods more than likely stolen from their own peer group then complaining about crime and the resulting increase in insurance and taxes spent on crime prevention and enforcement.
  • Options
    Who do you think consumes the most value of drugs too, the middle classes, its just it isnt problem drug use.
  • Options
    Purest bollocks, I live in a m/c area it's a haven of tranquility, \i don't see theives dropping off stlen goods, I don't see clamped untaxed cars. Taht you will see in underclass areas
  • Options
    It has always been like that.

The most vocal supporters of the ''lock 'em up and throw away the key'' philosophy are the very people who not only break the law constantly when they drive above the speed limit but who actually demand not to be punished for it... since apparently they believe it is their right to break the law as they see fit.

The same people who complain about benefit cheats and those on the dole are the very people indulging in countless dodgy or outright illegal schemes to avoid paying tax or to pocket extra money through imaginary expenses.

The same people who demand zero tolerance on drug abuse (namely weed, ecstasy, heroin and crack) are indulging in that "fashionable", middle-class drug cocaine constantly. But that's okay, because they themselves "aren't junkies" and do not need to commit crimes to pay for their addictions. :rolleyes:

The same people who want to bring back hanging for murderers actually demand for themselves the right to murder and not to be punished for it if the victim happens to be a 16 year old gipsy who have committed the Grand Capital Crime of entering their house.

The supreme hypocrisy of the cunts is sickening.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Purest bollocks, I live in a m/c area it's a haven of tranquility, \i don't see theives dropping off stlen goods, I don't see clamped untaxed cars. Taht you will see in underclass areas

The thing is Muck, the examples used are on the whole 'invisible crimes'. I too live in a m/c area but have no idea whether my fellow residents indulge in tax/tv licence evasion.
  • Options

Yes, just because you dont see it doesnt mean it doesnt go on.

And Aladdin, not all middle class people are like that, generalisations are a bad thing whether 'the sole liber' uses them or you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yes, just because you dont see it doesnt mean it doesnt go on.

And Aladdin, not all middle class people are like that, generalisations are a bad thing whether 'the sole liber' uses them or you.

You know our friend has now been banned :yes:

Yeah i heard about this on the news this morning. I guess the middle classes especially the upper middle class are going to be the ones who through greed basically do not wish to part with their money.
  • Options
    Fantasy spins from a few here

Aladdin

The same people who want to bring back hanging for murderers

no w/c class have ever expressed such a sentiment? hahah

If you want to see serious law-breaking go to underclass areas, peddling of drugs on streets, prostitution, gun crime done by underclass elements
    The thing is Muck

The thing is Black, if you want a response from me don't corrupt my screen-name, it's childish
  • Options
    the link to hanging was a bit vague though

ladymuck can you actually argue and not resort to slanging cause even if they have, dont stoop to that level and using ore intelligent debate would stop these debates turning into personal slanging
  • Options
    Where did I say they were all like that? Not all of them are naturally. But it is true that a great many of the most vocal people about these subjects are exactly like that.

They are perfectly personalised by the Mail and the S*n, papers that have been regularly demanding much harder sentences for criminals and murderers while at the same time spitting blood because their hero Tony Martin was sent to jail for murdering a kid who was running away.

Their hatred of speed cameras and endless campaigning against them is in total contrast to their otherwise 'law-abiding' stance and their right-ho attitude towards anyone who breaks the law in issues other than speeding.

A great many readers of those rags appear to agree in full with the papers' double standards so in this case the generalisation is well justified IMO.
  • Options
    I would certainly agree with the speed camaras issue, I always cheer when I see someone getting done by them.

If you compare the harm done by cannabis and speeding the way its enforced is a joke.
  • Options

The thing is Black, if you want a response from me don't corrupt my screen-name, it's childish

:D point taken

Do I get a response now Ladymuck?
  • Options
    BlackArab

I too live in a m/c area but have no idea whether my fellow residents indulge in tax/tv licence evasion.

not the crime of the centuryanyway

I don't believe this survey, tv licence evasion is so easily detected amongst m/c ppl on electoral register,unlike dodgy underclass shifting around rented accom
  • Options
    Of course I dont think there is really any doubting that crime causes more harm amoung those at the bottom of the pile. But, in terms on pure number of crimes its the middle classes who commit the most.

One could well argue that it is not the number of crimes it is the harm, but that negates the point of the law. Its there and legaly shouldnt be broken.

I think it is also the double standards which people dont like, on one hand there is out cry when a youth gets a short sentance for selling cocaine. But if a doctor or lawyer would see nothing wrong when they used the cocaine.

An example is my In-laws, they are really rather Christian (in a nice way) and consider themselves to be moral and law abiding. However they quite often borrow CD's from places and then copy them.
  • Options
    BlackArab

not the crime of the centuryanyway

I don't believe this survey, tv licence evasion is so easily detected amongst m/c ppl on electoral register,unlike dodgy underclass shifting around rented accom

I had a feeling you wouldn't believe this survey, in fact I would have put money on it. Why do are you willing to accept survey results about other groups and not one about the m/c's?

Not the crime of the century? You surprise me, I would have thought you would be concerned about people ripping off the country by tax fraud and licence evasion, do you feel the same way about benefit fraud then?

The electoral roll is just one of their sources of information. The authorities that collect also use other databases to identify potential evaders including the shops where TV and videos are purchased or hired from which by law have to supply them with the name and address of the purchaser/hirer. One of the easiest ways is just knowing what addresses are out there and writing to 'The Householder' or paying a visit.

Have you never had a letter or phone call from a company you've never had contact with?
  • Options
    Nothing about this survey squares with what I see (or don't see)happening,

if there were tv licence evasion in my street, it woiuld be simplicity itself to send round a tv detector van

if there were untaxed cars they'd be clamped

It's not happening

Just a collection of solid citizens who can look themselves in the mirror each am (unlike others I can think of)
  • Options
    You brought a tear to my eye.
  • Options
    Nothing about this survey squares with what I see (or don't see)happening,

if there were tv licence evasion in my street, it woiuld be simplicity itself to send round a tv detector van

if there were untaxed cars they'd be clamped

It's not happening

Just a collection of solid citizens who can look themselves in the mirror each am (unlike others I can think of)

How can it square with what you don't see happening :confused: Look at Dr Shipman, Judge David Selwood (see byny's topic), I'll bet their neighbours thought they were solid citizens too. OK these are extreme examples but my point is we are talking about 'invisible crimes' on the whole. Only 4% in the survey included untaxed cars, I can't remember the last time I checked my neighbours cars if at all. And I can honestly say I have never seen an untaxed car being clamped, I would think most people get caught with a fixed penalty notice.

TVL enforcement officers use their own cars and can carry hand-held detectors when they go out on visits to check houses without licences and generally the enforcement is usually done by phone calls and letters. yes there are detector vans but not many. So it would be very unlikely for you to know that your neighbours have been caught.

Plus how would you know without someone telling you they have paid cash in hand to to a builder, mechanic etc
  • Options

theres actually near to no tv detector vans, my mate who works for the tv license people says they virtually never use them as theyre unreliable and courts wont accept them as evidence
  • Options
    It's all a silly old pice of puff

Live in the 'burbs - nice peaceful life

Live in the 'inner-city - no end of grief

You know that's true
  • Options
    It's all a silly old pice of puff

Live in the 'burbs - nice peaceful life

Live in the 'inner-city - no end of grief

You know that's true

:yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    :yeees:
    your making my day today BA!
    oh how i have argued with people on here ranting about some guy on the dole earning a few quid cash in the hand or a single mum doing a bit of cleaning on the side to make ends meet while they get slagged off something rotten in here. most people willing to grass them up even. i have always pointed out that the costs of fiddling and thieving are far greater by the middle classes and upward.
    those at the bottom of the pile have more of an excuse to raise a few dodgy bob.
    ladymuck ...most stolen goods are fenced to the middle classes cos they can afford to part with the cash.
    at this rate someone will back me up about china before the days out ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    You know our friend has now been banned :yes:

Yeah i heard about this on the news this morning.

Sole with Liver was on the news?! I missed that too...
  • Options
    most stolen goods are fenced to the middle classes cos they can afford to part with the cash.

I don't believe that

Antiques stolen will be fenced to the middle class Antique dealers, beyond that we're into crass generalisatons

I'd rather walk down Finchley at night than Brixton
  • Options

I'd rather walk down Finchley at night than Brixton
    It's in Finchley that they have that road full of castles (extremely big houses on the verge of being mansions) right?
  • Options
    The middle classes commit "victimless" crimes this is true, but in general I'd find it hard to believe that they commit more crimes than working class people.

You are more likely to be a victim of crime in a working class area than in a middle class suburb surely?
  • Options
    Antiques stolen will be fenced to the middle class Antique dealers, beyond that we're into crass generalisatons
    Antiques? I think we're in the realm of the Lord and Lady now!
  • Options

Ha ha ha ha ha! :D Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    The middle classes commit "victimless" crimes this is true, but in general I'd find it hard to believe that they commit more crimes than working class people.

You are more likely to be a victim of crime in a working class area than in a middle class suburb surely?

The working class are more likely to be victims of crime I should think.