Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Multiculturalism has had it's day"

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Learn to write English then. I know immigrants who can write English better than you.

No offense, but since when did spelling matter in a debate? And why does anyone have to pick it out... it's irrelevent and I mean... well you can understand what qwerty is getting at.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Some of it was a bit difficult to work out though qwerty123, maybe you could take a look at it before you post and see if it makes sense?
  • Options
    Originally posted by qwerty123
    If we burnt a islamic flag wouldn't we get done? We would be arrest for stiring racial hatred. Burning the flag of that country is treason in my opinion.

What country's flag would you be referring to there querty123?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    No offense, but since when did spelling matter in a debate? And why does anyone have to pick it out... it's irrelevent and I mean... well you can understand what qwerty is getting at.

Because he's exactly the sort of person who would complain about immigrants not speaking English when he can't even write legibly.
  • Options
    your not very patriotic when are you? Iam I dearly love my country and it hurts to see people abusing it.

Not patriotic in the sense you mean it, no.
    I'll repeat what I said on another thread
    "In fact I love this country, and one of the reasons I love it is due to the multicultural makeup and the fact that most people are welcoming of other cultures. We have one of the most vibrant creative cultures in the world, encompassing design, fashion, music, popular culture etc, and this is down to the fact that we do have lots of immigrants feeding in different influences and mixing it up. An insular culture is a dead stagnant culture."
  • Options
    i suppose that if we shot people for burning the union jack we would be no better than the taliban or khmer rouge or the third reich for that matter. in fact we wouldnt be discussing politics on the net at all. thank god for democracy!
  • Options
    For once I agree with you.
  • Options
    we let people walk over us, we are a disgrace.

LadyJade I'm walking about the british flag.

Is Britain represented by the flag of Islam in your opinion then? The part of your post I was referring to was the bit where you said
    If we burnt a islamic flag wouldn't we get done?
    . I was interested to know what country an Islamic flag represents, in your opinion.
  • Options
    And I'm glad it doesn't apply to the British flag. Would you want to live in an oppresive regime like Saudi Arabia?
  • Options
    Why is it wrong?

By the way, I don't think it is illegal to burn another countries flag. If its done in a way to stir up racial hatred then it might be, but burning a flag per se is not an offence.
    As always, its all about context.
  • Options
    Sorry, you're not making any sense again. I'm saying that I don't think it is illegal to burn another country's flag, just as its not illegal to burn our flag. The flag represents an imperialistic and brutal past and an imperialistic present (to some people), borne out by our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan and our continued support of the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine.
    It does not necessarily represent the people of the UK.
  • Options
    I'm not anti-Israeli. I'm against their illegal occupation of Palestine. A subtle, but important difference.
    Israel are behaving like terrorists here, just as much as Palestinian suicide bombers.
    Read some history.
  • Options
    I don't what? Pitter? Isn't that a type of bread? :confused:

or is that pitta? Either way, I haven't a clue what you're on about
  • Options
    Why should Israel be pitied when its very founding was brought about through the use of the very same sort of terrorism it indicts others for.

Try learning some history, it might actually open your eyes to how indoctrinated by spin you show yourself to be.

Keyword for you: Irgun
  • Options
    I didn't have a clue what you meant.
    And no, I don't "pitty" Israel. I think its a tragic situation when innocent people get killed, but the actions of the Israeli government have caused a lot of this.
    As I said, read some history.

Do you pity Sharon?
  • Options
    Indeed, there they are, trying to get this mess sorted by killing or expelling every single Palestinian in the whole of the region, and those bleeding-heart liberals complain about it.

Where's the world coming to!
  • Options
    qwerty123

I feel sorry for innocent people who get caught up in it, and that includes Palestinians, Israelis and anyone else.
    But to think that Sharon is trying to sort it out, betrays a shocking ignorance on your part.
  • Options
    Errrr....no.

Read some history.
  • Options
    No, I didn't say that either.
  • Options
    No it doesn't. You are reading into it things I didn't write, based on your wrongheaded assumptions about me.
  • Options
    You certainly appear to be in need of medication.
  • Options
    we were supposed to be discussing the abject failure of multiculturalism, not the middle east. goodbye pc, welcome back common sense.
  • Options
    What is this ''abject failure'' you speak of?

I haven't observed anything anywhere in this country that could merit describing multiculturalism as an abject failure.

In fact, in most cases it can only be described as resounding success.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Major Tom
    we were supposed to be discussing the abject failure of multiculturalism,

What failure? :confused:
    not the middle east.

Threads often get a bit sidetracked. Make a sensible contribution if you're that bothered.
    goodbye pc

Has your computer gone walkabout? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    no, i put that in just for you ha ha! correct me if im wrong but the aim of multiculturalism was to advance tolerance and understanding between peole of different races. do you think it (as a policy) has been succesful?
  • Options
    Mostly, yes. There's the few bigots such as yourself, the tabloids stirring it up and the government haven't helped by settling asylum seekers in already rundown areas (classic divide and rule tactic), but overall, I think the mixing up of different cultures in the UK has been beneficial.

So, MT, what failure?
  • Options
    how ever bogus asylum and illegal immigratioon certainly don't add to our great country.

These are massively exaggerated by tabloid media.
  • Options
    of course its been a success! total racial harmony everywhere you go! dont try & blame the tabloids, that's pathetic. even the head of the cre has deemed it a failure. the fact is minority groups are becoming increasingly ghettoised; signs everywhere in 5 languages; why bother to learn english? ergo: less and less integration. that is a failure. no-one has benefited from it.
  • Options
    Theres pretty good race relations in all the cities I've lived in - London, Sheffield, Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
    Where is your evidence that minority groups are becoming increasingly ghettoised? Where are these signs in 5 languages?
    Your analysis is far too simplistic.

I refer you to my first post on this thread
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    While I agree that people who live here should make an effort to learn the language, I think that the view that multiculturalism is damaging, as expressed above, very simplistic.
    It assumes that British culture is a static unchanging thing. It also assumes that there is only one homogenous British culture. Neither of these are true. There are many different cultures overlapping each other, depending on where you live, your class, worldview etc. And none of these are static.
    Look at how having a biryani, a balti or a kebab has become very British. Jungle, drum'n'bass and UK garage are uniquely British music genres, none of which could have come about without foreign cultures influencing and in turn being influenced by British culture. Its a 2 way street.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    you guys blame the tabloids for everything. It's the government that are slack on illegal immigration not the papers.

:rolleyes:

The tabloid papers stir up anti-immigrant feeling and print lies about asylum seekers. And if you notice, I did blame the government as well.