Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

people washing windows at traffic lights

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lipsy
    Blagsta are you usually so aggressive? telling people to fuck off and shouting at them.

Only with obvious racist fuckwits.
  • Options
    No no I am not meaning that at all. My boyfriend came here as an asylum seeker and has never begged and wouldn't dream of it, and neither would the majority of people. But there is a minority that do! I felt like blagsta was excusing people who beg because they don't get much benefit. I don't think this is ever necessary and it just makes the public perception of asylum seekers even worse.
  • Options
    There is a difference between excusing and understanding y'know.

But anyway, what would you rather they do? Steal?
  • Options
    I would rather they did not beg or steal, that they used their time to get educated (there is lots of free education available for asylum seekers) and send their kids to school, not be dragging them out to wash peoples windows.

I do understand why they do it but I don't think it is right.
  • Options
    I'm not saying its right either, but if people feel they need the extra cash, I'd rather they begged than stole.
  • Options
    So we agree then.

But tell me, do you think a woman taking her baby and sticking it in peoples faces to beg, is acceptable? I have had that happen to me in London and found it quite disturbing, yes I felt sorry for her but she shouldn't be doing that. People should find out what is acceptable in a society if they want to go and live there, the same way as if I went to Pakistan I would not wear short skirts etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Princess Rosa
    (there is lots of free education available for asylum seekers)

There are free or cheap ESOL (English as a Second Language), but I don't think theres much more than that.
    See here
    http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/infocentre/entit/sentit006.htm
  • Options
    But tell me, do you think a woman taking her baby and sticking it in peoples faces to beg, is acceptable? I have had that happen to me in London and found it quite disturbing, yes I felt sorry for her but she shouldn't be doing that. People should find out what is acceptable in a society if they want to go and live there, the same way as if I went to Pakistan I would not wear short skirts etc.

I don't like it, no. But as I said, its preferable to stealing.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think to encourage diversity and multicultural society there needs to be an amount of respect and understanding on both sides.
  • Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    In my area, there are lots of free English classes, and all the council adult education classes (which range from languages to cooking to computers) are free for asylum seekers and refugees.
  • Options
    Fairynuff.
  • Options
    I found this link about the same subject quite interesting:
    http://www.ce-review.org/00/12/lovatt12.html
  • Options
    A bit old that website. Besides, it doesn't address why UK would want additional begging from these people or why they come past ther rest of Europe to come here.

I read that virtually no Roma asylum cases were upheld from czech republic last year.

We should impose work visas on E. Europe or our benefit system will probably take the toll
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Digressing slightly, i hear on the radio that one of the Morcambe cocklers families is intending to sue UK. Well they'll have to prove in court that the deceased was invited to UK, has a contract of work and health +safety was breached.

bonkers

Are you gonna answer my questions on this?

Or did you just make it up to try and stir things?
  • Options
    I read that virtually no Roma asylum cases were upheld from czech republic last year.

If they weren't upheld then why are you worried?
  • Options
    Are you gonna answer my questions on this?

what questions? I heard in the radio, GLR or whatever it is these days

As if you ever give a satisfactory response to any point ever made
    If they weren't upheld then why are you worried?

who's worried about a few bogus asylum seekers ?
  • Options
    These questions
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Sue UK what? Got a source for that?

Unlikely I think, seeing as they were employed illegally. Who's he gonna sue?
  • Options
    who's worried about a few bogus asylum seekers ?

You by the looks of it.

Whats a "bogus asylum seeker" by the way? :confused:
  • Options
    As if you ever give a satisfactory response to any point ever made

LMFAO! :D

I'm the one actually posting facts to counteract your racist propaganda.

You're the one avoiding backing up your points. Mainly because you can't.
  • Options
    I'm warning you, I am going to close this thread down if you can't sort yourselves out.

Take it outside ffs.....This a a chat board not a playground......
  • Options
    If ladymuck wants to actually start posting some facts and backing up her arguments rather than merely posting thinly veiled racist propaganda, that would be nice. :)
  • Options
    I agree, it would be very nice. That's better. I like your style.
  • Options
    I don't think Roma people do necessarily bypass many other countries to come to the UK. There are many Roma people all acorss Europe, not only in the UK. They are discriminated against and live in poverty in Romania, that is why many leave.
  • Options
    I don't think Roma people do necessarily bypass many other countries to come to the UK. There are many Roma people all acorss Europe, not only in the UK. They are discriminated against and live in poverty in Romania, that is why many leave.

imagine how bad it must be if they have to come here!!
  • Options
    I know it must be bad, but if they come here they should take the opportunity to be educated and if they legally can, find proper employment. They don't have to beg.
  • Options
    Yes, but the whole point is that they can't legally work while applying for refugee status. I thought we'd dealt with this a couple of pages ago.
  • Options
    The talk of suing UK Govt was on a phone-in yesterday on GLR. I've found no links so good, maybe it was speculation
    I don't think Roma people do necessarily bypass many other countries to come to the UK. There are many Roma people all acorss Europe, not only in the UK.

last I heard Uk was in N.Sea, not in central Europe so your point is wrong. There are romanies in Uk but they are not Roma who've mostly came since 1997.

what's wrong with France, land of 250 cheeses and fine wines, la belle vie?
  • Options
    Have you bothered reading any of those links I posted?

If you had, you'd see how wrong you are about almost everything you ever post about (why do you almost exclusively post on threads about race/immigration anyway? Got an agenda to push?).

Is the UK a 'soft touch' compared with the rest of Europe?
    No. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the UK ranks only 8th out of fifteen European Union countries in terms of asylum applicants per 1000 inhabitants.

In fact, asylum seekers find it increasingly difficult to reach the UK's shores. The UK government imposes visa restrictions on countries which produce large numbers of asylum seekers, who are unable to claim asylum from their own country. Transport companies are now also fined for bringing people into the UK without the right documents.

Life in the UK has become increasingly harsh for asylum seekers. The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 removed asylum seekers from the welfare benefits system. The act set up a support system where the new Home Office National Asylum Support Service (NASS) is responsible for the welfare of asylum seekers. Asylum seekers are now entitled to vouchers, exchangeable for cash, worth 70% of basic income support if they can prove they have no other means of support.

From
    http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/infocentre/faqs/faqs001.htm
  • Options
    I know that, that's why I said "if they legally can".

Lady muck, why is my point wrong, UK is in Europe and there are Romany people all over Europe, I didn't say anything about North Sea, Central Europe etc.

Why should people just go to the country next to theirs, if England was hit by a war (for example) and I was forced to flee, I certainly wouldn't go to France if I could help it.
This discussion has been closed.