Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

people washing windows at traffic lights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For about the past year, at some traffic lights not far from my home, there are regularly a gang of people who wash car windows. They look like they may be Romanian or from somewhere near there. When the lights turn red, they approach cars and start to wash them, expecting money in return. Nobody likes it and it's really annoying, why can't the police do something about it?

I have seen it before in London lots of times.

I understand that they need money, we all do, but if they are asylum seekers then the system should be providing for them, they don't need to be hassling people like this.

Comments

• Options
    but if they are asylum seekers then the system should be providing for them

it does
  • Options
    £37.50 a week or thereabouts.

YOU try to live on that money.
  • Options
    I wouldn't relocate to another country and expect anything in the way of a hand-out
  • Options
    No, you would expect to work. Precisely what these people want but they're not allowed to.

But I could be wrong of course. Who would want to have a job and earn a decent living when the State pays you the grand sum of £37.50 a week and then you can earn a few extra quid washing windscreens in the cold? Hell, I'm quitting my job today and becoming a sponger, so good it sounds.
  • Options
    So very employable are they? Maybe that's why HM Govt. is contemplating the blocks on E. European migration to prevent benefit tourism, it will have Roma gypsies in mind when it does so
  • Options
    Yes, they are perfectly employable. Why, are you suggesting that certain people of certain races are not suitable for work?
  • Options
    no, culture + background
  • Options
    Please don't make out that I am against asylum seekers, I am not. My family are immigrants and my boyfriend was an asylum seeker before he was granted refugee status. He thinks the same about these people.

I don't hate them, I feel sorry for them, they are all women and children, who should be at school, not washing windows and being verbally abused by motorists. However, they are a nuisance.

I have lived on £32 a week before, when I was 17 and got JSA, which is £10 less than standard JSA because I was not yet 18. It was not fun but it is enough to survive on.
  • Options
    Re: people washing windows at traffic lights
    Originally posted by Princess Rosa
    They look like they may be Romanian or from somewhere near there.

Like what - Bulgaria or The ukrain or Germany, or Slovakia or Macedonia, or Hungaria, or Austria, ......?

What does a Romanian look like?

The kids who wash windows near my house are from Spoltt - thats a suburb of Cardiff. It's possible they are Welsh.
  • Options
    I know that full well Rosa, it's not directed at you.

Tell me Ladymuck, do you think culture and background should determine whether somone can have a job? So that means that the State/employers should be able to stop people from having jobs because their culture and background are not adecuate?

Does this mean we can ban all narrow-minded, S*n-reading, ignorant racists from working? Excellent! Where do I sign?
  • Options
    Tell me Ladymuck, do you think culture and background should determine whether somone can have a job?

It should determine whether somone enters the Uk and on what basis, the reputation of Roma gypsies is not a good one, fore-warned should mean fore-armed in a sensibly well-run country.
  • Options
    Ok maybe they are not from Romania, but they do look like they are, the same way I might say someone looks Indian or Italian. There are quite a lot of Romanians in the area and I think I can identify them. Although granted, I may be wrong.

Some Roma people can be a big nuisance, I had a woman knock on my door with all her children who were begging for money, they kept pulling on my sleeves and saying "please please". I felt sorry for her and all other people who feel they need to go to those lengths, but I don't think they need to do this.

The system does provide for people, not great luxuries, but enough to live on, and I don't think it is fair for ordinary people to be targeted for more money.
  • Options
    I don't know why a gang of Welsh kids would be on a street corner in Handworth in Birmingham, with some women with headscarves on. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    the reputation of Roma gypsies is not a good one
    According to the ultra-right wing Nazi tabloid press. Which nobody is forced to take as gospel, although some are more than happy to do.
  • Options
    According to the ultra-right wing Nazi tabloid press.

Anybody ever whispered in your ear that you're prone to exaggeration?
  • Options
    Even a significant number of asylum seekers and immigrants dislike Roma people. My boyfriend said he doesn't like them doing things such as begging because it gives all immigrants a bad name, and makes people think they are all like that.

You can't actually deny if you live in London or a big city that there are quite a lot of Roma people who beg, especially with children, or agressively, or who wash windows. Maybe this is acceptable in their culture and that is why they do it but there should be education to help them and explain that it is not here.

There was a 17 year old Romanian girl in court recently in Birmingham, proscuted for aggressive begging, she was always by the markets and had only one leg.

She was found guilty, but said she had a child she wanted to provide for, the judge gave her a conditional discharge. That is really sad to me, but if she could get education she could provide for her child without begging.
  • Options
    'no, culture + background' Ladymuck

Ladymuck if you are going to make comments like this perhaps some evidence to support them would help? I'm sure a lot of peole, no more so than the Roma gypsies would disagree with your assumption.

Perhaps not pigeonholing entire races into the same category might help to avoid the racism that seems to be creeping into your posts.
  • Options
    I don't know why a gang of Welsh kids would be on a street corner in Handworth in Birmingham, with some women with headscarves on. :crazyeyes

Never said they would!! I said perhaps the ones in Splott are Welsh. All I'm saying id how can you tell where someone is from because of how they look!!?
  • Options
    Oh I thought you meant the ones near me might be Welsh.

Come on, you CAN tell where someone is from looking, or at least make an educated assumption, open your eyes. You can see the colour of their skin, their clothes, the language they speak, etc. You can see a man with brown skin and a turban and make a fair assumption that his family originate from India. Or a black girl wearing traditional Muslim clothes is probably Somali. etc etc etc.

If you live in a very mixed multicultural area, it becomes pretty easy to identify where most people come from.
  • Options
    If you live in a very mixed multicultural area, it becomes pretty easy to identify where most people come from.

There are people in Leicester walking around who come from Kenya and they look as normal as the next person. Then there are British sikh/muslim women who have their headscarfs/dress and you would assume they come from abroad.

I've learnt not to jump to assumptions on the way someone looks, because 9 out of 10 times you're wrong. To prove this point further - one of my good friends at school is white, and speaks perfect Enlgish. You'd think he's English, or British. He's actually from Saudi Arabia but you would NEVER guess!
  • Options
    So very employable are they? Maybe that's why HM Govt. is contemplating the blocks on E. European migration to prevent benefit tourism, it will have Roma gypsies in mind when it does so

You're a nasty piece of work aren't you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    According to the ultra-right wing Nazi tabloid press. Which nobody is forced to take as gospel, although some are more than happy to do.

What do you expect from a BNP troll?
  • Options
    Oh I thought you meant the ones near me might be Welsh.

Come on, you CAN tell where someone is from looking, or at least make an educated assumption, open your eyes. You can see the colour of their skin, their clothes, the language they speak, etc. You can see a man with brown skin and a turban and make a fair assumption that his family originate from India. Or a black girl wearing traditional Muslim clothes is probably Somali. etc etc etc.

No it doesn't. Are you suggesting that if you see someone who is black then you know 'where they come from'?

Isn't there a very famous example of a US interviewer asking Nelson mandella what it was like being a famouse Afro-American!!!
    :rolleyes:

you may not think you are racist but if you make judgements about people based upon their looks/colour then you are being racist.

It's not an educated assuption it's a racist assumption
  • Options
    Hels
    Ladymuck if you are going to make comments like this perhaps some evidence to support them would help?

roma
    The Roma too are a part of the problem through the persistence of a cultural style that, as an 'attractor' for victimisation, is as much a source of their marginalisation as is the majority prejudice against them."

That's on top of what I've observed first hand and what a few Romanian aquaintances have endorsed. No other ethnic group in the UK goes in for organised begging as they do
    You're a nasty piece of work aren't you?

Well if that's so, then so is the BBC News Editor + reporter who went directly to Slovakia to interview....Roma gypsies. Maybe that Brixton bed-sit isn't the best platform on the World.
  • Options
    Hels

roma

That's on top of what I've observed first hand and what a few Romanian aquaintances have endorsed. No other ethnic group in the UK goes in for organised begging as they do

APART FROM THE THOUSANDS OF BRITISH PEOPLE WHO DO!!!
  • Options
    Well if that's so, then so is the BBC News Editor + reporter who went directly to Slovakia to interview....Roma gypsies. Maybe that Brixton bed-sit isn't the best platform on the World.
    Chances are the only reason reporters have been to interview Roma is to show the British public that contrary to the racist claims in the S*n and the HateMail, they are human beings just like the rest of us.

Obviously the BBC is not interviewing Roma people often enough, judging by the persisting ignorance, prejudice and disgusting racism displayed towards them.
  • Options
    All Asylum seekers (and long-term unemployed natives for that matter) should be given a decent handout and a roof over their heads in exhange for carrying public works schemes like building roads, cleaning parks etc.

Asylum seekers have no right to live benefits unless they have contributed something to the "kitty" so the government should create grandiose schemes to provide work for them at a fair wage (at least double what it is now) and give them decent accomodation.

Maybe they can be paid to build affordable home "new towns" for themselves and those who cannot afford house prices.

Assimilate them, don't ostracise them.
  • Options
    Chances are the only reason reporters have been to interview Roma is to show the British public that contrary to the racist claims in the S*n and the HateMail, they are human beings just like the rest of us.

The point of the interview was to flesh out the expressed intent of some Roma, one family a deported failed Asylum seeker family who'd lived in Deptford (and they wanted to return:eek: ). This raises concerns Europe-wide (hence restrictions) and once again UK is the fall-guy
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    No it doesn't. Are you suggesting that if you see someone who is black then you know 'where they come from'?

Isn't there a very famous example of a US interviewer asking Nelson mandella what it was like being a famouse Afro-American!!!
    :rolleyes:

you may not think you are racist but if you make judgements about people based upon their looks/colour then you are being racist.

It's not an educated assuption it's a racist assumption

Oh give it a rest I'm pretty sure that Princess Rosa isn't racist and that everyone makes assumptions, including you.
  • Options
    The point of the interview was to flesh out the expressed intent of some Roma, one family a deported failed Asylum seeker family who'd lived in Deptford (and they wanted to return:eek: ). This raises concerns Europe-wide (hence restrictions) and once again UK is the fall-guy
    Blah blah yabba dabba doh. The same old scarce tactics uttered a million times before; and as before it shall all prove to be a load of all racist bollocks.
This discussion has been closed.