Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Musn't Criticise the Darling Israelis

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are more UN resolutions against the near 40 year Israeli occupation and other acts against Palestinians than were passed concerning Iraq. Unfortunately every resolution concerning Israel has been duly vetoed by Washington thanks to the illicit power of AIPAC.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    That they are neither 'desperate' or'poor'.
    You know, I was going to post a few links showing the levels of malnutrition, poverty and illiteracy amongst the Palestinians (level with the worst of Africa at the moment) but what's the fucking point. Someone who makes such a fucking idiotic statement is not going to admit to the reality of the situation so YOU can do the searches on Google not me... I can't be arsed with people with you anymore... a self-confessed racist who thinks Arabs are 'inferior' to whites and Jews such as yourself is seldom going to admit to anything.
    The majority of suicide bombers are middle-class, educated and motivated by a mixture of nationalism, religious fanaticism and hatred of the Jews.
    The majority of Israeli soldiers/Jewish settlers are middle-class, educated and motivated by a mixture of nationalism, religious fanaticism and hatred of the Arabs. And your point is?

The Israelis hit back, it is what any country under attack from these fanatics would do.
    And the Palestinians hit back at the Israelis, it is what any country under attack from these fanatics would do.
    Israel must destroy the suicide networks, and we must give them full assistance to do so.
    No. THE WORLD must destroy the Israeli death squads (AKA the Israeli Defence Forces), and we must give them full assistance to do so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No. THE WORLD must destroy the Israeli death squads (AKA the Israeli Defence Forces), and we must give them full assistance to do so.

Fucking lovely...

Well at least now I am sure of the fact that discussing with you is a waste of time and energy and simply useless.
  • Options
    You never discuss anything here of any substance anyways Jacq. This comment is just further demonstration of your inability to intelligently discuss the issue.

How you ever think youll have any credibility as a diplomat is anyone's guess. You'll be a laughing stock if you think you can pipe in with such dismissive refusal to discuss pertinent matters as "discussing with you is a waste of time...". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Well at least now I am sure of the fact that discussing with you is a waste of time and energy and simply useless.
    Well, thank heavens we've finally got that one sorted out...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    You never discuss anything here of any substance anyways Jacq. This comment is just further demonstration of your inability to intelligently discuss the issue.

How you ever think youll have any credibility as a diplomat is anyone's guess. You'll be a laughing stock if you think you can pipe in with such dismissive refusal to discuss pertinent matters as "discussing with you is a waste of time...". :rolleyes:

Yes, cause currently I am a diplomat and Aladdin is the terrorists foreign minister...

I am sure that 20 years from now I'll tell myself "I should have listened to Clandestine" :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I am sure that 20 years from now I'll tell myself "I should have listened to Clandestine" :)
    No, listen to Zvi Mazel! Indignance is a valuable commodity!
  • Options
    If the Israeli's pull out of Palestine completely, do you think the suicide bombers would stop forever? Most of them would probably leave it.. but some I'm sure would want 'revenge' and then Israel has to send it troops to stop them, and it starts all over again.

I don't condone either side. Just think they should call it quits and leave each other alone! Or get UN troops along the border, or something :confused:
  • Options
    Just like you Jacqs I find that arguing with you can be a waste of time when it comes to the Middle East. There are few (if any) actions perpetrated by the IDF or the Israeli government you seem prepared to condemn. Considering you have even defended Israeli soldiers shooting dead children because one or several of them do the temerity of throwing a rock at them (never mind Saddam and his WMDs- an eight year old throwing a stone is clearly the biggest threat to the survival of mankind :rolleyes: ) there isn't seem to be much point debating much when you are happily defending cold blooded, completely unjustified murders.

If you had stopped to read Mat's post you might have realised that used his own comments for my replies and changed 'Palestinians' with 'Israelis'. That should be enough for you to realise the nature of my post or whether I really believe Israeli soldiers should be exterminated (I don't). But funny how you appear to find my comments outrageous but have no thoughts on Matadore's.

Regardless of whichever side you support in this conflict, what makes you believe that murders committed by men in army uniform are any more admissible that those committed by terrorists/militiamen? They are exactly as despicable as each other, and any IDF soldier who engages in such practices deserves the same fate as suicide bombers.

By the way I'm not the only one who thinks the IDF is perpetrating war crimes and atrocities... As you will know there is a growing numbers of troops and officers who refuse to serve in the occupied areas, who have disobeyed orders to carry out revenge attacks against civilians or who simply refuse to join the army for as long as it engages in such activities. Those people are heroes and many of them have been thrown into jail for their stance. I've signed the odd petition or two to have them freed. Let me know if you would like to sign it as well and I'll post the links.
  • Options
    I don't understand why some of you support the palestinians. Israel is trying to defend itself and is doing it the only way it knows how.
    I personally believe the whole mess would be sorted out if Palestine simply ceased to exist for all the trouble they are causing.
    So far the Israelis are REACTING to events. They try and offer the olive branch by withdrawing their forces, everytime they do 20 civilians get blown to hell on their way to work.
  • Options
    Not bother to really research the matter much have you?

The expansionist agenda of zionism began with terrorism of its own, driving the legitimate inhabitants off the land by force long before there ever was a recognised state and it hasnt abated throughout almost 40 years of illegal military occupation of what remaining scattered areas Palestinians yet inhabit.

If anyone is "reacting" it is the Palestinians and without the support of the international community which has shown itself so ready to condemn similar hostile occupation and expansionistic aims by other countries.

I advise you brush up on the real roots of this conflict and then put yourself in the shoes of those who have not ceased to suffer since the Balfour Declaration sold them out.

Here are some links if you care to gain a comprehensive picture and put this issue into its longrunning historical context rather than the one sided and sanitised spin the media cares to offer from week to week...

The Origins of the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict

Research Guide to the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I don't understand why some of you support the palestinians. Israel is trying to defend itself and is doing it the only way it knows how.
    And EXACTLY the very same words can be said of the Palestinians.
    I personally believe the whole mess would be sorted out if Palestine simply ceased to exist for all the trouble they are causing.
    And EXACTLY the very same words can be said of Israel.

I don't believe Israel should cease to exist. But if one had to choose between the two nations the logical choice would be for Israel to make way. At the end of the day the Palestinians were there first.

So far the Israelis are REACTING to events.
    So are the Palestinians. They are reacting to having their country stolen, being given a pitiful amount of land in which to "live", and then have about 25% of that remaining land taken away by an illegal occupier who proceeds to make their "life" absolute misery, to mistreat, kill and torture them and to impose movement, water and electricity restrictions within their own land.

Like I said earlier, the only surprising thing in this conflict is that no more Palestinians are willing to become suicide bombers.

They try and offer the olive branch by withdrawing their forces, everytime they do 20 civilians get blown to hell on their way to work.
    Wrong. They've never withdrawn in full (as per UN resolutions and international law), they've never removed their illegal settlements (as per UN resolutions and international law) and they've never offered to return all the land stolen in 1967 and go back to the pre-67 borders (as per UN resolutions and international law).

Do you actually expect the Palestinians to be grateful because from time to time the Israelis lift the blockades and drive their tanks away from the left overs of the land the Palestinians have left??? Do you expect them to settle for the broken left overs they've been offered, full of cancerous Jewish settlements in every corner, and with an Apartheid Wall that takes further land from them, cuts towns in two and make conditions in Palestine look like a Nazi concentration camp?

What ungrateful lot the Palestinians are! Really!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    So far the Israelis are REACTING to events. They try and offer the olive branch by withdrawing their forces, everytime they do 20 civilians get blown to hell on their way to work.
    whowhere ...it fucking frightens the shit out of me that your about to become a part time copper ...with the power to impose penalties on people ...god help us.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    whowhere ...it fucking frightens the shit out of me that your about to become a part time copper ...with the power to impose penalties on people ...god help us.

:lol: And I live near his jurisdiction. Save me. ;)

Whowhere, you're taking a very short-term view of the conflict there. As Aladdin correctly pointed out, Israel as failed retreat sufficiently. It is Palestine who were there first. It is Israel who felt the need to defend themselves against the Arabs by expanding their borders into sovereign territories, and Israel's current right-wing government isn't helping the peace process one bit.

That said, every time a peace settlement has come close, it seems to be Palenstinian bombers who wreck it - though correct me on that if I'm wrong. Palestine need a stronger leadership than they have at the moment, and Israel need a more moderate government. Maybe then we can see a bit of silence and re-drawing of borders.
  • Options
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    The settlements have all to date not come close as the media would have us believe.

Each time the Palestinians agreed to increase concessions or link otherwise obligatory matters (for Israel to comply with according to international law) to the process, successive Israeli leaders have scuppered the breakthroughs by grasping for even more concessions behind the scenes and away from the television cameras. Then of course they have capitalised on the resulting resumption of violence by claiming the Palestinians ruined the agreements. It's little more than clever PR work which all too many swallow readily without digging into what's really going on and what vested interests are at work in this process for the US & Israeli cadre.

There has not been a single case of genuine will to reach agreement by any Israeli government, too much by way of future gains would have to be relinquished by Israel for the hardliners to allow an end to the ongoing status quo, Barak showed that all too clearly as had his predecessors and those who followed him (Netanyahu being amongst the worst of the lot so far).

But this point has been covered over and over with relevant supporting information provided in many threads in the past two years. I suggest you search through the archives for the plethora of threads devoted to this debate.
  • Options
    here are some figures for those who think Israel are justified and proportionate in what they do:
    From The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories:
    Israeli and Palestinian Minors, Age 16 and Under (Age 13 and Under) Killed since the Beginning of the First Intifada (9 Dec., 1987) through 20 July, 2003:
    Israeli minors killed by Palestinian civilians in the Occupied Territories: 27 (14)
    Israeli minors killed by Palestinian civilians in Israel: 70 (18)
    Palestinian minors killed by Israeli civilians in the Occupied Territories: 25 (13)
    Palestinians minors killed by Israeli security forces in the Occupied Territories: 663 (204)

And since the current intifada started:
    Israeli minors killed by Palestinian civilians in the Occupied Territories: 22
    Israeli minors killed by Palestinian civilians in Israel: 56
    Palestinian minors killed by Israeli civilians in the Occupied Territories: 2
    Palestinians minors killed by Israeli security forces in the Occupied Territories: 382

Any justification?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

Its attitudes like Whowheres that have sent levels of trust in the police through the floor.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    here are some figures for those who think Israel are justified and proportionate in what they do:

And since the current intifada started:

Any justification?

On a human level, absolutely. They're just soldiers, and much as we'd like to believe different, soldiers are human beings, capable of fear and of reacting to it.

Israel's a citizen's army, not a professional one. These people aren't trained to nearly as high a standard as you'd see in the US - hell, it's not like the US Army is much better. It is entirely human to react to unpredictable situations so as to impose order on them. Minors are incredibly unpredictable, and given the constant fear generated by the situation - you never know who the hell's going to try to blow you up - it's not unreasonable to expect soliders to react to kids wandering around.

Of course, it is slightly unfortunate that they choose to react with bullets, but that's the side effect of giving them guns.

Of course, the soldier's fear is almost entirely a product of a failed political process for which there is no justification, on either side. Seems to be Israel's getting more than its fair share of the blame - Clandestine, are the Palestinians entirely in the right then? Is everything they do completely acceptable?
  • Options
    There is a substantive difference between acknowledging that Palestinian acts of self defence and indeed retaliation are "justifiable" or "understandable" given what they have been systematically reduced to economically, materially, and politically and stating that the manner in which their militant response takes form is "acceptable" or "right".

One concerns recognising the severe injustices which have plagued this people since cadres of zionist terrorists first began fomenting upheaval and instability in the former British colony in advance of the eventual political concessions which granted them the state at the expense of the people who had inhabited the land for hundreds of years in peaceful coexistence with the small jewish population still present in the land. Recognition that for its part at least provides a far more substantive and contextualised answer to the question of "why?" regarding the willingness of some Palestinians to sacrifice their lives to strike out against unrelenting aggression and repression by a superior power.

The latter however is a matter of qualification, the "should" or "ought" of the matter. I do not advocate that Palestinians "ought" to strap bombs to themselves as much as I do not advocate that Israeli Defence Forces should have any authority whatsoever to demolish what little yet remains of habitable dwellings, build concentration camp containment ghettos, perpetrate daily (and largely unreported) sniper and apache helicopter rocket attacks in populated areas, etc. Yet both do.

But do I think it the inalienable right of people to defend themselves against occupation, unjust imprisonment and a host of human rights abuses? Yes I do. Unfortunately the conditions necessary for and end to all this lie with those who hold the power in the region and who have instead chosen to adopt a neverending "victim" mentality, avoiding all accountability by deadening any significant debate with spurious cries of anti-semitism toward any who dare point out the long list of criminal acts for which their leaders have yet to account.

Perhaps when peace is viewed as more important than regional domination, and irresponsible expansionistic settlement policies, those with the power to do so will fulfil their obligations to international law and end the situation which fuels the ongoing grievance of the Palestinians. Only then will two viable states be possible and the foundations for lasting peace be established.
  • Options
    My ignorance is highlighted i suppose, I knew nothing about Israel and the Zionists before the 1940's.
    I still believe that the Palestinians aren't going to win anything if they carry on as they are, which i'm sure you agree on.
    All they will win is a retaliatory strike similar to America's response to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Rolly, I don't think I'm gonna meet many Israelis or Palestininians on my beat....do you?
  • Options
    Dunno, where do you live? I know a few Palestinians in London.
  • Options
    And just another day at the office in occupied Palestine. At least we got to hear about this one, if only as a footnote... :rolleyes:

Eight Palestinians killed in latest Israeli incursion

Even the more reason for this:

saralee3.jpg55txhg.jpg
  • Options
    And for those who are observing or want to observe a boycott:

barcode_boycott.gifkcqhqw.gif
  • Options
    'Brave'? Foolish kid more like.

And those militants opened fire first, idiots.
  • Options

Rolly, I don't think I'm gonna meet many Israelis or Palestininians on my beat....do you?
    i take it your not in a big city then?
  • Options

What are your thoughts on the kid though? Do you have a single word or condemnation for Israeli soldiers who shoot children dead for throwing rocks? Or do you reckon there is nothing wrong with it?
  • Options

Evidence?

Oh no, I forgot. You just leave a thread when asked to back up your claims. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Evidence? Perhaps you go and read Aladdins post.

What are your thoughts on the kid though?

He was an idiot, use your commen sense, you do not go throwing stones at tanks manned by jumpy young soldiers who are trying to protect themselves.

Do you have a single word or condemnation for Israeli soldiers who shoot children dead for throwing rocks?

Condemnation? Sure, they should have shot him in the leg.
  • Options
    who are trying to protect themselves

Insofar as soldiers in tanks are not the least bit under threat from rocks (unless you think the Taiwanese build Israeli tanks), they would be under no threat whatsoever if they and their tanks were not deployed illegally in terroritory not owned by Israel.

If the safety of Israeli soldiers is of such concern to you, then start advocating their full and unconditional withdrawal and an end to nearly 40 years of brutal and murderous occupation.